ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

To add to your point, we are #14 in points allowed, having played the #1 NET, #1 RPI, and the #2 SOS schedule (soon to be #1, once Connecticut starts playing its conference) schedule. A lot of other programs ahead of us in Scoring Defense haven't played on the radar of a tough schedule that we have played thus far.....
The most points we gave us all season were to Buffalo and Oregon in back-to-back games. UCONN was on pace to score 72 after the 1st half against us. In the 2nd half, Dawn slowed the game down to a snail's pace, we cut down on turnovers and UCONN couldn't score in the half court (almost literally couldn't score in the 4th).

After Destanni's injury, she slowed the pace even further. When we don't turn the ball over, our opponents can't get easy transition points. The slow pace means fewer possessions for our opponents and when they do shoot and miss, they only get one shot because our rebounding is so good.

Even with Henderson's return, we were still very deliberate in the half court. I think it really gets in opponents heads when they go minutes without making a field goal.

Reactions: Conway Gamecock
One of the great things about coach is she gives everyone a chance. Those minutes at the end of games matter. Just look at how Feagin has been getting 1st half minutes in some recent games.

Russell, unfortunately, came in late against Duke and proceeded to foul a 3 point shooter that gave Duke an opportunity at a 4 point play. That's the absolute worst play she could have made in that situation. It unlikely Dawn will trust her with 1st half minutes when she makes plays like that. It's a shame because the ability is there. Her decision making just needs to improve.

Someone else stated that Thompson is a great shooter. What makes anyone think that? She's 1 of 6 from the 3 point line. When she gets in the game, she has to capitalize on those minutes and makes shots. If she were draining 3's, coach would use her in end of quarter situations when we have the ball. But, unfortunately, she hasn't shown she can make them consistently yet.
Yeah, their basing that off high school play. She had it there for sure. I'm sure she practices those shots on her own. So, who knows what going on there.

I think Russell is too eager to prove her worth hence those careless mistakes.

Reactions: DarkCock
Is State in that 10? They haven't looked good lately.
They have Miss. St. in the next four out.

They have Bama in the last four in. I just don’t see that, they lost so much from last year. The OOC schedule is weak but they won! I have not seen them play. I will say Curry is a very good coach. I need to watch them.

The other teams out are Vandy, UF and Auburn

Here is the link, they update every Thursday. Against this projected field, we play 20 games with another 2 versus the next 8 out. Also Elon, Buffalo and A&T could very easily win their conference. Think about that..... 29 games and the only four teams that have no chance to make the tourney Clemson, Auburn, Florida and Vandy

Last edited:
They have Miss. St. in the next four out.

They have Bama in the last four in. I just don’t see that, they lost so much from last year. The OOC schedule is weak but they won! I have not seen them play. I will say Curry is a very good coach. I need to watch them.

The other teams out are Vandy, UF and Auburn

Here is the link, they update every Thursday. Against this projected field, we play 20 games with another 2 versus the next 8 out. Also Elon, Buffalo and A&T could very easily win their conference. Think about that..... 29 games and the only four teams that have no chance to make the tourney Clemson, Auburn, Florida and Vandy

Here is the breakdown from this same list

CONFERENCE BREAKDOWN​

CONFERENCE
TEAM
SEC
ACC
Big Ten
Pac-12
Big 12
American
Atlantic Sun
Big East

New recruiting name on the radar for SC in ‘24

Kiyomi McMiller out of Collegiate prep in Darlington has popped up at #8 nationally on Hoopgurlz. 5’7” pg. scored 35 in upset of Cardinal Newman. Not sure if she has an offer yet but DS and staff are on it for 24. Offers already out
#1 Joyce Edwards
#2 Jaloni Cambridge
#3 Olivia Olson
#12 Mikayla Blakes
#16 Ella Hobbes

I saw this on the UConn board that apparently Coach Law was scouting this prospect at the Myrtle Beach classic. Would be a huge get at the wing/PF for 2023. Tall and athletic, in some ways remind me of Kiki a little.

Looks like she watches NBA a lot. Euro step, behind the back lay ups and etc. She has some of the same athleticism as Amihere. They need forwards that make the medium range shots and that play good D. She has some years to make the move.

CONFERENCE PLAY

Captain Obvious sez, It’s different than OOC.... Teams know each other better because of annual play with lots of tape on file. There are some intense rivalries that inspire. As a general rule competition it is better.

But not this year, competition will be a step down for us. Doesn’t mean we are not in for some close games.

A little history

Over the last 8 years we are 134-16 in conference games. This includes regular season, SEC and NCAA tourney. That is a .893 winning %
Seven teams have not beaten us in this time.

Bama 19 game winning streak. The last time we lost DS was not our coach. The game was at Bama 54-65. Ilona Burgova was our leading scorer. Y’all remember her, right?

UGA 14 game winning streak. Some guy named Landers was their coach.

Ole Miss 13 game winning streak. It was 2010 SEC Tourney Kelsie Bone was our starting center.

Vandy 13 game winning streak. Feb 2011, we lead for all but 24 seconds in regulation. Fell apart in OT to lose by 14, 60-74.

UF 13 game winning streak. Lost here jan. 2011 on a buzzer beater 63-65

LSU 12 game winning streak. Jan. 2012 48-58 Freshman Aleighsa Welch was leading scorer with 13

Auburn 11 game winning streak. Jan 2012 49-53

None these teams have beaten us in a decade.

Next, who has beaten us

Last edited:
CONFERENCE PLAY

Captain Obvious sez, It’s different than OOC.... Teams know each other better because of annual play with lots of tape on file. There are some intense rivalries that inspire. As a general rule competition it is better.

But not this year, competition will be a step down for us. Doesn’t mean we are not in for some close games.

A little history

Over the last 8 years we are 134-16 in conference games. This includes regular season, SEC and NCAA tourney. That is a .893 winning %
Seven teams have not beaten us in this time.

Bama 19 game winning streak. The time we lost DS was not our coach. The game was at Bama 54-65. Ilona Burgova was our leading scorer. Y’all remember her, right?

UGA 14 game winning streak. Some guy named Landers was their coach.

Ole Miss 13 game winning streak. It was 2010 SEC Tourney Kelsie Bone was our starting center.

Vandy 13 game winning streak. Feb 2011, we lead for all but 24 seconds in regulation. Fell apart in OT to lose by 14, 60-74.

UF 13 game winning streak. Lost here jan. 2011 on a buzzer beater 63-65

LSU 12 game winning streak. Jan. 2012 48-58 Freshman Aleighsa Welch was leading scorer with 13

Auburn 11 game winning streak. Jan 2012 49-53

None these teams have beaten us in a decade.

Next, who has beaten us

WOW! Thank you for posting this.

Who has beaten us in the last 8 years

Arkansas 12-1 over the last 8 years. Chelsea Dungee killed us with 31 in tourney quarters in 18-19 season.

Mizzou 7-2. Birth of a villian, hate and a lawsuit.
In national championship season Sophie goes for 26 and hits the winner with one second. Grr
The next season she goes for 27. Refs screw us, Dawn gets ejected for the only time in her career. We win the next game, it has a bench clearing “event”. AD Sterk slanders DS and gets his ass sued.

A&M 7-2. Get us last year and also in 14. We are down by 17 in first half. Tiffany Mitchell hits a game tying 3 with 6 seconds but we can’t pull it out in OT

UK 16-3. Two spoilers and Rhyne. ‘14 beat us in semis in our first championship season. Next year ruin our bid for perfect conference season.
Howard’s freshman year she gets us.

Miss St 11-3. Beat us twice in close games in ‘18-19. Our worst season, their best. Got us in 17-18 also.

UT this will probably surprise you 7-5. The only team we have not totally owned over this time. But it’s kind of misleading. Beat us twice in A’ja’s senior year by 16&19 with A’ja missing both games with migraines. A’ja returns for victory in conference tourney by 10. Yea A’ja was a worth a 25 point swing.
Lose inexplicably with 2nd half meltdown last year.
Lose in ‘17 with bad call with 1 second left, Jaime Nard hits 2 free throws and we lose.
Lose in ‘14 by 12.

16 losses, less than half were where we just got beat. The others..... injuries, calls or the universe just conspired against us

Next thoughts on this season in the conference

I find it hard to believe they can't find 7 players and 1 coach. Our MBB team managed to field a team against Clemson after all.

I don't want another team cause our players to miss games, so whatever.

I expect this won't be too much an issue for us this season since so many SEC teams are in tournament contention. Just playing us is an RPI boost. Vandy, though, I'm expecting to "postpone". lol

I wonder if changing it to 5 days instead of 10 will help or will it be a big excuse maker. They need to shake it off and play the games. Asymptomatic positives are doing what exactly?

I wonder if changing it to 5 days instead of 10 will help or will it be a big excuse maker. They need to shake it off and play the games. Asymptomatic positives are doing what exactly?
Asymptomatic positives still are infected that could further spread the disease to others. I want them to play too, but no point in knowingly making others sick.

I find it hard to believe they can't find 7 players and 1 coach. Our MBB team managed to field a team against Clemson after all.

I don't want another team cause our players to miss games, so whatever.

I expect this won't be too much an issue for us this season since so many SEC teams are in tournament contention. Just playing us is an RPI boost. Vandy, though, I'm expecting to "postpone". lol
Wanting to raise your RPI doesn’t prevent spread of Covid

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Gamecocks vs Mizzou, what you might see.

Mizzou comes in with an unimpressive 11-2 record. Unimpressive because they only played two teams with a pulse and lost both of them.
By 2 to Baylor and by 28 to Missouri St, a projected 7 seed in the tourney.

They play a 7 player rotation with very little height.
Aijha Blackwell is the real deal. 6’0” forward averaging 18&12. Should be all 1st team SEC and get some votes for POY.

Lauren Hansen 5’7 and Hayley Frank 6’1” also score in double figures. Troup 5’10” Higgenbotham 5’7” and Dembele 5’6” all contribute. Williams 6’4” is the only height on the team, she has played very well but only averages 15 minutes a game.

They run a rather efficient motion offense that is difficult to guard. I expect them to score well in the first quarter. Blackwell is a matchup problem for most teams and Beal or Saxton will draw her. The question is who does Boston guard? Whoever it is will play the perimeter negating Aliyah’s post defense. If they can get Aliyah out high, they will post Blackwell.

They may play well offensively but I don’t think they can defend us. Struggle early, win by 20+

Gamecocks vs Mizzou, what you might see.

Mizzou comes in with an unimpressive 11-2 record. Unimpressive because they only played two teams with a pulse and lost both of them.
By 2 to Baylor and by 28 to Missouri St, a projected 7 seed in the tourney.

They play a 7 player rotation with very little height.
Aijha Blackwell is the real deal. 6’0” forward averaging 18&12. Should be all 1st team SEC and get some votes for POY.

Lauren Hansen 5’7 and Hayley Frank 6’1” also score in double figures. Troup 5’10” Higgenbotham 5’7” and Dembele 5’6” all contribute. Williams 6’4” is the only height on the team, she has played very well but only averages 15 minutes a game.

They run a rather efficient motion offense that is difficult to guard. I expect them to score well in the first quarter. Blackwell is a matchup problem for most teams and Beal or Saxton will draw her. The question is who does Boston guard? Whoever it is will play the perimeter negating Aliyah’s post defense. If they can get Aliyah out high, they will post Blackwell.

They may play well offensively but I don’t think they can defend us. Struggle early, win by 20+
Beal will be on Blackwell, without a doubt. Brea, mostly, held Blackwell to 2/11 shooting last year. She wants that challenge.

I just fell into the groove,” Beal said. “Now I take pride in guarding players. Like, ‘OK, you say you’re going top five? Let me see.’ It’s fun to do now.”

I watched Mizzou against one of the worst RPI teams in the country, Southern, over the weekend. Southern couldn't score much and were not much better at rebounding, but their full court press did give Mizzou problems. I would love to see coach extend the defense from the start of the game. We haven't done that much this season, I'm sure in part due to Destanni's injury. This is a game for Rivers, Hall, Russell to get some minutes and, especially, Lele. The game was tied at half last year; Lele was the difference in the 2nd half. She played the 4 against Mizzou; she was able to guard the perimeter while still being taller than most of Mizzou's players. And, of course, she's very good in the full court press. Great matchup for her.

Beal will be on Blackwell, without a doubt. Brea, mostly, held Blackwell to 2/11 shooting last year. She wants that challenge.

I just fell into the groove,” Beal said. “Now I take pride in guarding players. Like, ‘OK, you say you’re going top five? Let me see.’ It’s fun to do now.”

I watched Mizzou against one of the worst RPI teams in the country, Southern, over the weekend. Southern couldn't score much and were not much better at rebounding, but their full court press did give Mizzou problems. I would love to see coach extend the defense from the start of the game. We haven't done that much this season, I'm sure in part due to Destanni's injury. This is a game for Rivers, Hall, Russell to get some minutes and, especially, Lele. The game was tied at half last year; Lele was the difference in the 2nd half. She played the 4 against Mizzou; she was able to guard the perimeter while still being taller than most of Mizzou's players. And, of course, she's very good in the full court press. Great matchup for her.
They also gave up 14 offensive rebounds!! So who do you put Boston on?

They also gave up 14 offensive rebounds!! So who do you put Boston on?
She will be on Williams for as long as Williams can stay out of foul trouble and in the game. Williams is not a perimeter threat.

USCA7.jpg

She will be on Williams for as long as Williams can stay out of foul trouble and in the game. Williams is not a perimeter threat.

USCA7.jpg
Williams has not started a game all year and is only playing 15 minutes a game. They are playing a five guard offense, relying on Blackwell and Frank to provide post defense and do the board work. So who do you get Boston to guard???? A possibility is Boston on Frank, Saxton on Blackwell and Beal on Hanson.

I think Blackwell sees Beal, Saxton, Amihere maybe even Rivers and Hall. Run someone fresh at here all night with all kinds of fouls to give.

Williams has not started a game all year and is only playing 15 minutes a game. They are playing a five guard offense, relying on Blackwell and Frank to provide post defense and do the board work. So who do you get Boston to guard???? A possibility is Boston on Frank, Saxton on Blackwell and Beal on Hanson.

I think Blackwell sees Beal, Saxton, Amihere maybe even Rivers and Hall. Run someone fresh at here all night with all kinds of fouls to give.
Boston will guard Williams when she's in the game and Frank when's she's not.

You know this or are speculating?

With Miss st and Auburn in protocol for tomorrow, their opponents for Sunday and Monday are Bama and UK. Only problem is these are all scheduled home games. Solution would be to play UK either here or there and scrub one of the later games
Dawn stated it as such. I doubt many teams will want to play us with last minute prep but I'm still holding out hope.

Reactions: winloseortie
Vandy In protocol. So four teams might be available to swap out and play each other Sunday or Monday. USC, UK, Bama and Mizzou.

Mulkey wants NCAA to 'dump' COVID-19 testing for men's and women's Final Four​

Baylor coach Kim Mulkey suggests the NCAA stop testing the players for COVID-19 ahead of the men's and women's Final Four.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college...ads-baylor-lsu-present-why-not-apologizing-it
Apparently, she hasn't gotten the message that this is a deadly pandemic. In addition to players there are coaches, support staff, etc. who may be more susceptible to serious illness than players. She is a shrill, pathetic idiot. I've never liked her.

Depending on whose out, it could be good time to knock some rust off and let our bench get some valuable time.
Only 8 players available according to the Missouri board. They only play 7 to 8 anyway. Guess how competitive the game will be depends on which ones are out

Credit to Mizzou for abiding by the conference policy. If you have 7 who can play and at least one coach, then play or forfeit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT