ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

Morris and Pointer are the best pair of guards we will face in conference. Aifuwa is a 6’5” post who can score down low, play D and rebound. Newby, Cherry, and Tarasi all contribute and can have a night offensively. As a team they play good D especially Pointer and Aifuwa. They also rebound well. They have played us tough the last four years, so there is no intimidation factor.

They are THE MOST experienced team in the league. Seven player rotation and all 7 are 5th year seniors.

Fargas taught tough man to man D, so Mulkey started with a strong foundation. They are much faster tempo this year and better offensively. The team has bought in totally.

And in the believe it or not category. They shoot free throws much worse than we do🤣

They had a VERY weak OOC, but that seems to have jelled them as a team. I am surprised they are 2-0. This is a statement/must win game on both sides. Expect a big fired up crowd and fourth quarter game
Well, Staiti didn't play against them, so they're 2-0 isn't too surprising.

Their starters play HUGE minutes, especially the guards. Pointer played 40 minutes in both SEC games.

I agree about Dawn's over-use of subs. Destanni and Zia need to play 38 or so minutes against LSU. Boston around 35. Make them beat our best.

Reactions: gamecockblack
I don't buy it. A team with a pretty good record, beating the undefeated and unanimously voted #1 team without their best player definitely shouldn't be overlooked.
I have said on this thread several times Mizzou was criminally under rated. Blackwell is a no brainer 1st team all SEC. Hansen, Franks, and Williams all capable of putting up 15 on any given night

Reactions: Gamekem
I don't buy it. A team with a pretty good record, beating the undefeated and unanimously voted #1 team without their best player definitely shouldn't be overlooked.
I sense that people would like to see them ranked in order to mitigate the inexcusability of that loss. This was a putrid loss and we're going to have to wear it until subsequent events wash it away. Those events will have to be impressive.

I think everyone perceived it as the superior team having a bad day. Rather than a great win by a top echelon team. Maybe they are. I thought they were good but I thought we played horrifically for some reason. My attitude has changed a bit. I thought we could perhaps run the table. We will not. We are just not an effective scoring team. Need some of the pups to step up. If I was going to second guess, I think we need to play LeLe more. Most of us felt that this team would run our opponents out of the gym. Not really doing that. I think LeLe being out so long and Raven taken out of our repoitoire have hurt us.

If Henny and Zia are both off it makes us a lot weaker team.

I think everyone perceived it as the superior team having a bad day. Rather than a great win by a top echelon team. Maybe they are. I thought they were good but I thought we played horrifically for some reason. My attitude has changed a bit. I thought we could perhaps run the table. We will not. We are just not an effective scoring team. Need some of the pups to step up. If I was going to second guess, I think we need to play LeLe more. Most of us felt that this team would run our opponents out of the gym. Not really doing that. I think LeLe being out so long and Raven taken out of our repoitoire have hurt us.

If Henny and Zia are both off it makes us a lot weaker team.
What was Johnson's scoring potential?

Not sure. I think good and she’s a good facilitator and plus defender. I would hope the facilitating part to be a key. I think a more creative approach to getting the ball inside would help. But if we could just take some pressure off of our three scorers it would be very helpful.

Not sure. I think good and she’s a good facilitator and plus defender. I would hope the facilitating part to be a key. I think a more creative approach to getting the ball inside would help. But if we could just take some pressure off of our three scorers it would be very helpful.
I'm really surprised Beal, Saxton and Amihere didn't develop an intermediate scoring effort. When rotating outside the zone, they rarely look to shoot.

Reactions: Whiterockcock69
The expectation for Raven was not as a scorer. She can score, but Henny played too many minutes last year because we had no backup PG.
Raven is a true PG who sees and distributes. She also has that “it” factor. She is a leader and very vocal on court and in practice. Was an early commit in the process. Recruited her classmates and is a big reason Cardoso chose us

I sense that people would like to see them ranked in order to mitigate the inexcusability of that loss. This was a putrid loss and we're going to have to wear it until subsequent events wash it away. Those events will have to be impressive.
I personally think Ole Miss, Mizzou and Arkansas should be rated...The polls are not going to let too many SEC teams be ranked as it would only prove this is the toughest conference in the land...

Look at how they have UNC ranked...they've played a bunch of cupcakes....Sure Mizzou should be rated..they beat us...if the roles were reversed, the Carolina fans would be livid....

The expectation for Raven was not as a scorer. She can score, but Henny played too many minutes last year because we had no backup PG.
Raven is a true PG who sees and distributes. She also has that “it” factor. She is a leader and very vocal on court and in practice. Was an early commit in the process. Recruited her classmates and is a big reason Cardoso chose us
That’s what I hear. I think she won like three or four state championships. One question for you though. I think she committed early but announced late didn’t she? Also was she the “big birdie” or was that Cardoso or Feagin or either?

I personally think Ole Miss, Mizzou and Arkansas should be rated...The polls are not going to let too many SEC teams be ranked as it would only prove this is the toughest conference in the land...

Look at how they have UNC ranked...they've played a bunch of cupcakes....Sure Mizzou should be rated..they beat us...if the roles were reversed, the Carolina fans would be livid....
I agree diametrically about Mizzou.

That’s what I hear. I think she won like three or four state championships. One question for you though. I think she committed early but announced late didn’t she? Also was she the “big birdie” or was that Cardoso or Feagin or either?
She did announce "late". DS lets commits announce in their own time. This past cycle Cooper and Watkins were in the fold for a long time before going public. Raven was the same way. As to big birdie, I don't remember/know I'm old and sleep deprived.

Reactions: Whiterockcock69
Their win over us on that particular occasion says more about us than about them.
One could make the argument that it is about them. Maybe just maybe, they are talented enough to compete with the heavyweights of the SEC...Will be very interesting to see how they play against LSU, UT, UGA...if they do win some of those games, what will then be your argument that their win was because of Carolina....

One could make the argument that it is about them. Maybe just maybe, they are talented enough to compete with the heavyweights of the SEC...Will be very interesting to see how they play against LSU, UT, UGA...if they do win some of those games, what will then be your argument that their win was because of Carolina....
I'll address that when, and if, it happens - and most appropriately at the end of the SEC season. The current argument COULD BE (since we're dealing in theoretical arguments) that if they could beat us with only slightly over HALF their team, maybe THEY ought to be what you think We are and WE ought to be whatever you think THEY ought to be. Of course, I don't buy that frivolous argument, either, but there are probably some pie-eyed Mizzou fans who are thinking it and other SEC fans who are wishing it. All I know is that our team needs to step it up in the most fundamental basketball skill - putting the ball in the basket - the ultimate cure for what ails us.

How do you guys see us matching up against LSU?
Good question. Let's talk about the most important game we play: the next one.

I watched LSU against UGA and A&M last night. The first I've seen the Tigers play this season. What I like about the matchup is LSU plays two conventional low post players at all times, which will allow Dawn to play the Boston/Cardoso lineup. That's been a very effective offensive lineup for us. Defensively, it hasn't been a great because we've been playing so many teams lately with a stretch 4. That won't be the case against LSU. Our bigs should be able to stay close to the lane and, thus, help against dribble penetration.

What I don't like about the matchup is the LSU's guards are very good and play extended minutes. Pointer will probably not come out against us, unless she's in foul trouble. We could bleed points fast for a stretch, if our subs don't play well.

I assume Amihere will still be in protocol, but I haven't heard anything official. Hopefully, Lele and Rivers will be back. Lele had a good game against LSU last season.

I watched LSU against UGA and A&M last night. The first I've seen the Tigers play this season. What I like about the matchup is LSU plays two conventional low post players at all times, which will allow Dawn to play the Boston/Cardoso lineup. That's been a very effective offensive lineup for us. Defensively, it hasn't been a great because we've been playing so many teams lately with a stretch 4. That won't be the case against LSU. Our bigs should be able to stay close to the lane and, thus, help against dribble penetration.

What I don't like about the matchup is the LSU's guards are very good and play extended minutes. Pointer will probably not come out against us, unless she's in foul trouble. We could bleed points fast for a stretch, if our subs don't play well.

I assume Amihere will still be in protocol, but I haven't heard anything official. Hopefully, Lele and Rivers will be back. Lele had a good game against LSU last season.
If SEC is on 5 day protocol????? And she has had an asymptomatic case she could be cleared for the game. LONG minutes for Henny. Probably sub her around end of quarter and mid quarter TOs.

I'll address that when, and if, it happens - and most appropriately at the end of the SEC season. The current argument COULD BE (since we're dealing in theoretical arguments) that if they could beat us with only slightly over HALF their team, maybe THEY ought to be what you think We are and WE ought to be whatever you think THEY ought to be. Of course, I don't buy that frivolous argument, either, but there are probably some pie-eyed Mizzou fans who are thinking it and other SEC fans who are wishing it. All I know is that our team needs to step it up in the most fundamental basketball skill - putting the ball in the basket - the ultimate cure for what ails us.
Sigh. You have posted more on this loss than you have posted all season. Those posts during the season were requests for info mainly. Not a positive post this season....... it's not like you had to look hard.........6 wins over top 15 teams, marvelous play by Boston, destroying our in state rival, great crowds and a top 5 recruiting class. It appears you are a vulture looking for bad news.... As Coach Beamer said "find some joy"

I'm eagerly awaiting our matchup against the dime store queen's new team. I don't know how good they are, but the dime store queen will be into it and she'll make sure her team is into it.

Reactions: Silverspur02
Sigh. You have posted more on this loss than you have posted all season. Those posts during the season were requests for info mainly. Not a positive post about 6 wins over top 15 teams, marvelous play by Boston, destroying our in state rival, great crowds and a top 5 recruiting class. It appears you are a vulture looking for bad news.... As Coach Beamer said "find some joy"
There's only one conceivable joyous outcome for this ballyhooed team and you and I both know what that is.

Sigh. You have posted more on this loss than you have posted all season. Those posts during the season were requests for info mainly. Not a positive post this season....... it's not like you had to look hard.........6 wins over top 15 teams, marvelous play by Boston, destroying our in state rival, great crowds and a top 5 recruiting class. It appears you are a vulture looking for bad news.... As Coach Beamer said "find some joy"
Amen

I really hate how Mulkey has her guards takes charges on opposing bigs, away from the ball, in transition. I get it. It's within the rules. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Hope Aliyah pays attention and doesn't pick up a cheap foul.

LSU2.jpg

btw, what the hell is Mulkey wearing??

• Haha
I really hate how Mulkey has her guards takes charges on opposing bigs, away from the ball, in transition. I get it. It's within the rules. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Hope Aliyah pays attention and doesn't pick up a cheap foul.

LSU2.jpg

btw, what the hell is Mulkey wearing??
The dime store queen got where she got for a reason.

Reactions: DarkCock

Nice assessment. Thank you

I think part of the reason for his negative behavior is that he loudly and repeatedly said this team was the greatest assemblage of talent ever in WBB and there was no doubt that we would go undefeated. Many of us pointed out that this was both naive and uneducated about the history of the sport and the talented teams abounding this year. But you know him, he’s always right and when he is not he comes up with denials, lame excuses or contorted self deluding “logic”. 5...4...3...2...1....

Reactions: DarkCock
I think part of the reason for his negative behavior is that he loudly and repeatedly said this team was the greatest assemblage of talent ever in WBB and there was no doubt that we would go undefeated. Many of us pointed out that this was both naive and uneducated about the history of the sport and the talented teams abounding this year. But you know him, he’s always right and when he is not he comes up with denials, lame excuses or contorted self deluding “logic”. 5...4...3...2...1....
It's called flexibility, nimbleness, or adroitness. But all that aside, I still think this is the greatest team in the history of women's basketball when all the parts are there; I still believe we should never lose a game; I still believe that nothing short of the national championship will constitute success for this team.

• Haha
Reactions: winloseortie
It should be an interesting fashion faceoff between the two head coaches Thursday.

LSU3.jpg

Just finishing watching the Miss St game. Good dub...but the team needs to focus of oppense teams easy ride to the basket. Stanford, Mizz now Miss St killed us there.

Nice game for Cardoso - still needs to get better on defense. 13 rebounds for Henny. Russell had some good moments. 4 players in double figures....it sucks that Rivers has had this up & down start to her college career.

Can't wait for the LSU game

I believe it was a fluke win aided by our defensive effort and bad calls. I don't think they deserve the ranking yet. Let's look at their record 5 games into SEC play.
Fluke, anomaly, statistical error, the planets aligned, The Basketball Gods were angry at our hubris, they just had a night. Pick your description. It will be the highlight of their year and a blip on our season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT