ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

What has happened this off season is that there are now 4 teams that have stuffed their rosters to become super teams: UConn, Stanford, NCSU and our Gamecocks. Throw in Baylor, which was predicted a #1 seed before Mulkey left and Maryland, that is your power 5 champs and 6 of the elite 8. Everybody else is playing for a participation trophy.
What do most of those teams have in common as far as results, season to date? This should not take you long to figure it out.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Agreed lol. With that said though, I still can't think of any team at least this season that challenges us this season in the SEC other than UT.
I think you are right but I am always a little paranoid. UT is here and that always helps. As Burrell gets healthier they have multiple scorers.

UGA has the height and depth to push us. We play at their place. UGA will play toughD and slow the pace to a crawl. I expect a game like the tourney final.

We have to go to UK and I think it will be a closer game.

The thing to remember about conference play, is that opponents have seen you every year and there are basically no secrets.

Reactions: gamecockblack
We played really good defense against Rhyne Howard here in Columbia last year. Not sure if Cardoso and Amihere will be available. If not, I could see Brea playing 40 minutes since Lele will sub at the 4.

defense2.gif
Put the whammy on her today also

Reactions: DarkCock
In late games UN Carolina destroyed a good Va Tech team.

Arizona is no longer undefeated losing to So Cal.

That leaves Colorado as the only undefeated team. They are unranked and will lose Friday at Stanford

This team is awesome. They can beat any other team in the nation nine out of ten times. You can always run into the day when an official can change an outcome or a day when enough of the pieces aren’t clicking at the same time. (Missouri was a bit of both.).

But they are not perfect. I am happy as the season is unfolding. Wish Hollywood hadn’t got hurt and hope for Rivers to play up to her potential (she will).

That said if all the “ingredients “ are “on”, these ladies would beat most top tier teams by +20 points. There are two #1 recruiting classes folded in here. This is likely a team that could compete/beat some of the all time best.

Still a work in progress and playing without Johnson diminishes a bit but I think I would put us at about .93 of where we would project hypothetically. Dawn has done an outstanding job.

Reactions: CarlUSC and Gamekem
Great game. But alas I was expecting a better effort from Kentucky (it felt like they gave up in certain times of the game). Albeit they were missing a lot of bunnies. Don't see those events repeating themselves for the rematch

The whole team saw action. Good job by the freshies.

55 rebounds....10 turnovers (which is good for them)

In the flesh on Thursday.

Last edited:
The best game in SEC Sunday was GA vs Bama. Great come back wins for the dawgs. That barker kid keeps getting better and better.

Great game. But alas I was expecting a better effort from Kentucky (it felt like they gave up in certain times of the game). Albeit they were missing a lot of bunnies. Don't see those events repeating themselves for the rematch

The whole team saw action. Good job by the freshies.

55 rebounds....10 turnovers (which is good for them)

In the flesh on Thursday.
Yeah, I mentioned in my pre-game breakdown how Kentucky appeared to concede the easy basket to Jenni Staiti once she got the ball in the lane. Kentucky didn't show much resistance at all to the Boston/Saxton lineup. We were +19 in Saxton's 21 minutes. When was the last time Aliyah shot ZERO free throws. Edwards, Kentucky's main big, committed just one foul. In contrast, LSU two bigs fouled out and their backups committed 6. If you ain't fouling Boston, you ain't trying.

Put the whammy on her today also
I remember Howard killing us as a freshman in the CLA. I think that was the last time we loss a legitimate home game (I don't count the NC State COVID loss as a real home game). We had no answer for her. The addition of Brea has been a game changer. And, of course, Boston's shot blocking ability discouraging RH from driving into the lane. We still have at least one more game against her. Breezy is a nice additional option for coach to choose from. I assume Amihere will be back by then as well.

I have to give credit to Howard for not transferring, even though it's clear Kentucky doesn't have the interior play to challenge for a championship.

I remember Howard killing us as a freshman in the CLA. I think that was the last time we loss a legitimate home game (I don't count the NC State COVID loss as a real home game). We had no answer for her. The addition of Brea has been a game changer. And, of course, Boston's shot blocking ability discouraging RH from driving into the lane. We still have at least one more game against her. Breezy is a nice additional option for coach to choose from. I assume Amihere will be back by then as well.

I have to give credit to Howard for not transferring, even though it's clear Kentucky doesn't have the interior play to challenge for a championship.
Howard may go 1 or 2 in the WNBA draft this year. Yes, she can put on a good show get stats, but I don't think her overall game has evolved past her sophomore year. And, if she continues on this trend her stock will likely fall.

We can say the same thing about Unique Thompson. The girl was a machine on a spiraling Auburn team. Getting a 'chip' is nice but if you can develop as a player and still go pro you still succeeded.

Reactions: CarlUSC
Paranoid thought process

I had earlier stated we would be able to make up the Ole Miss contest on Feb 6. I was wrong. Ole Miss plays a conference game on Feb 7. I seriously doubt they would be forced to play back to back.

Deep Breath. So........ this means we could possibly go 14-1 and finish in 2nd place. If UT loses to us but wins out they would be 15-1. OR If LSU wins out they would finish 15-1.

Paranoid thought process

I had earlier stated we would be able to make up the Ole Miss contest on Feb 6. I was wrong. Ole Miss plays a conference game on Feb 7. I seriously doubt they would be forced to play back to back.

Deep Breath. So........ this means we could possibly go 14-1 and finish in 2nd place. If UT loses to us but wins out they would be 15-1. OR If LSU wins out they would finish 15-1.
Damn, you're right. I wonder what they can do to fix that.

Paranoid thought process

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure if we win the head to head matchup with Tennessee and get no other losses we would still rank higher than both programs in the standings. Just win and we won't have anything to worry about.

Reactions: vacock#
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure if we win the head to head matchup with Tennessee and get no other losses we would still rank higher than both programs in the standings. Just win and we won't have anything to worry about.
I think he’s talking about the regular season championship.

Reactions: winloseortie
In her post-game comments, coach said the backups finally held serve and even built a lead. She was referring to the Henderson-Breezy-Rivers-Cardoso-Saxton lineup near the end of the e 2nd quarter. Kentucky was forced to call a timeout against them. Not something that has happened much this season in lineups that didn't include Aliyah Boston. I think we could see those five again against A&M. It's very good defensive and rebounding lineup, with 2 seniors starters. Very solid lineup to prevent the opposing team from going on a run. Hall scored 5 points during their time on the floor together. Hopefully Rivers will start looking for her shot more as the season progresses.

I think he’s talking about the regular season championship.
I know, but I'm saying if we win the head to head matchup, I find it highly improbable they will punish us for playing one less game due to no fault of our own.

Dawn Staley, “South Carolina vs the World”
I get it and I really want one of those shirts but I just don't see it happening. Especially to it's program that's been holding down SEC fort for WBB.

Worst case scenario is that snub us and Dawn uses it as fuel for the team to go on a tear, which might not be so bad.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Paranoid thought process

the SEC tournament championship is the one that matters, and I doubt Tennessee or LSU go 15-1

the SEC tournament championship is the one that matters, and I doubt Tennessee or LSU go 15-1
I said up front that it was a paranoid thought process BUT UT has the second best roster in the league, they rebound, have length and are well coached. They will be favored in every conference game except ours.
What they do not have is post depth and they turn the ball over as much or more than we do.

I have to say that I have not been impressed by either of the freshman so far. Granted they haven’t had much playing time but when your OOC early schedule is almost exclusively top 15 teams, your freshman won’t see much playing time. I’m especially concerned that none of them have demonstrated any mid-range talent. To me, they all look like Eniya Russell type players. I’m really worried about next year. JMHO.
I'm not at all worried about next year, assuming everyone comes back and stays healthy.

Our starting lineup will include THREE four years starters, including the reigning NPOY: Boston, Cooke, Beal.

I think coach will reward Amihere a starting spot since she's been a willing bench player for 3 seasons.

I'll go with Rivers for the other spot. Dawn is obviously extremely cautious with injuries. I see her bringing Raven along slowly. And Zia has shown me enough in her time at point guard this season that I feel comfortable with her starting. I suppose it's possible Hall or Russell could start over Rivers; I just feel like she has the most potential. Playing with those 4 veterans will allow her to blossom, I hope.

Off the bench: Raven, Cardoso, Breezy, Russell, Feagin, Thompson

Add the freshman: Watkins, Cooper

DS also has a couple of scholarships available, if my math is correct. I don't think she would just take anyone from the portal, but someone could be too good to pass up. I think Littleton is eligible for a 6th year as well.

So I think there is plenty there not to be worried about next season. Two years from now, obviously, is more uncertain. We'll see.

I'm not at all worried about next year, assuming everyone comes back and stays healthy.

Our starting lineup will include THREE four years starters, including the reigning NPOY: Boston, Cooke, Beal.

I think coach will reward Amihere a starting spot since she's been a willing bench player for 3 seasons.

I'll go with Rivers for the other spot. Dawn is obviously extremely cautious with injuries. I see her bringing Raven along slowly. And Zia has shown me enough in her time at point guard this season that I feel comfortable with her starting. I suppose it's possible Hall or Russell could start over Rivers; I just feel like she has the most potential. Playing with those 4 veterans will allow her to blossom, I hope.

Off the bench: Raven, Cardoso, Breezy, Russell, Feagin, Thompson

Add the freshman: Watkins, Cooper

DS also has a couple of scholarships available, if my math is correct. I don't think she would just take anyone from the portal, but someone could be too good to pass up. I think Littleton is eligible for a 6th year as well.

So I think there is plenty there not to be worried about next season. Two years from now, obviously, is more uncertain. We'll see.
This, my biggest concern for next season is the lack of an experienced point guard who is also our best 3 point shooter. We could find ourselves in Stanford's current situation next year with them losing Kiana Williams but I have faith that a healthy Raven Johnson will be great in filling in those shoes.

First look at A&M

Best 3 pt shooting team in the country
Hoppie 47%
Nixon 42%
Wells 51%
Pitts 40%
All four are excellent FT Shooters

They play 4 out 1 in. This is going to create some of the same problems that we had with Mizzou. Boston and/or Saxton are going to be forced to guard on the perimeter and deal with pick and roll/pop.

No real low post presence. Not a good rebounding team. Patty and Roby both 6‘3” split time in the post.

We need to push tempo, pound the paint and protect the ball

They started out 8-0 but are 2-5 in last 7 with an 0-3 start in SEC. This includes a bad loss to UF. They are not playing well right now.

With a win we will have hit for the cycle, defeating every active coach with a national title: Geno, Mulkey, VanDerVeer, Frese, and Blair. Also 4/5s of the Revenge Tour.

I also imagine there will be some sort of presentation with gifts for the retiring Coach Blair. Hopefully lots of Gamecock gear.

Last edited:
Gary Blair

One of the nicest, funniest, and winningest coaches in the game. I hope we show him a lot of love in his final appearance here in Columbia and then kick his team’s ass.

His coaching tree is amazing

Kim Mulkey. LSU
Vic Schaefer Texas
Mike Neighbors Arkansas
Nell Fortner Ga. Tech
Johnnie Harris Auburn

He said before playing us in 13-14 season when we had Elem Ibian, Alaina Coates, and A’ja Wilson, “The SEC has got three great post players and unfortunately they all play for South Carolina.” Yeah, he beat us that night 67-65 in OT.

There is way too much to relate in this space so

First look at A&M

Best 3 pt shooting team in the country
Hoppie 47%
Nixon 42%
Wells 51%
Pitts 40%
All four are excellent FT Shooters

They play 4 out 1 in. This is going to create some of the same problems that we had with Mizzou. Boston and/or Saxton are going to be forced to guard on the perimeter and deal with pick and roll/pop.

No real low post presence. Not a good rebounding team. Patty and Roby both 6‘3” split time in the post.

We need to push tempo, pound the paint and protect the ball

They started out 8-0 but are 2-5 in last 7 with an 0-3 start in SEC. This includes a bad loss to UF. They are not playing well right now.

With a win we will have hit for the cycle, defeating every active coach with a national title: Geno, Mulkey, VanDerVeer, Frese, and Blair. Also 4/5s of the Revenge Tour.

I also imagine there will be some sort of presentation with gifts for the retiring Coach Blair. Hopefully lots of Gamecock gear.
Yeah that "4 out 1 in" lineup was working fine in the OCC but has been a disaster since SEC play started. They got killed in the paint against LSU and UT. I think Blair has abandoned it altogether now. Destiny Pitts, who's averaging 11 points per game, didn't see the floor against Florida in a 2 OT game.

The Aggies desperately miss Ciera Johnson and N'dea Jones. They did just enough last year against our bigs to let the guards decide the game and Nixon/Wells out played our guards. This season, their bigs our more wide than long and are slow to get back on defense. Expect Saxton and Cardoso to run hard in transition to establish position in the lane before A&M can set their defense.

I read on an A&M board that Nixon was wearing a brace before the Florida game. Blair tried to rest her, up 19 against Florida in the 3rd quarter, but the Gators went on a run. When she returned to the game, she got in foul trouble and the lead completely evaporated. They really need Nixon and Wells on the court at all times. Outside of Nixon and Wells, there is a major drop in talent level. Blair is getting out of Dodge before the cupboard is bare.

All that being said, the #1 team should have expect max effort from their opponent. I'm sure Blair is emphasizing that they must compete on the boards to stand a chance. I'm glad there's a revenge angle to this game, so we won't overlook them.

Boston SEC PLAYER OF THE WEEK

Player of the Week: South Carolina's Aliyah Boston hit three free throws late in the third quarter at #13/16 LSU to put the Gamecocks up three heading into the fourth then posted nine points, seven rebounds and two blocks in the final 10 minutes to deliver the win. The last of her seven offensive rebounds at LSU was on a teammate's missed free throw with just a four-point lead and nine seconds to play. She scored 10 of the team's 18 first-quarter points against #21/20 Kentucky on 5-of-6 shooting and nearly completed the double-double by halftime with 10 points and eight rebounds to go with three blocks in just 16 minutes on the court. In the second half, she added eight points, seven rebounds and two blocks in 12 minutes of action. She stretched her run of consecutive double-doubles to nine, which matches the school record originally set in 1975 and matched in 1978. Shooting 9-of-12 against Kentucky, it was her second game over 70.0 percent shooting in the last three outings and fourth of the season. In eight games against nationally ranked opponents this season, Boston averages 17.0 points, 12.9 rebounds and 4.0 blocks.

Yeah that "4 out 1 in" lineup was working fine in the OCC but has been a disaster since SEC play started. They got killed in the paint against LSU and UT. I think Blair has abandoned it altogether now. Destiny Pitts, who's averaging 11 points per game, didn't see the floor against Florida in a 2 OT game.

The Aggies desperately miss Ciera Johnson and N'dea Jones. They did just enough last year against our bigs to let the guards decide the game and Nixon/Wells out played our guards. This season, their bigs our more wide than long and are slow to get back on defense. Expect Saxton and Cardoso to run hard in transition to establish position in the lane before A&M can set their defense.

I read on an A&M board that Nixon was wearing a brace before the Florida game. Blair tried to rest her, up 19 against Florida in the 3rd quarter, but the Gators went on a run. When she returned to the game, she got in foul trouble and the lead completely evaporated. They really need Nixon and Wells on the court at all times. Outside of Nixon and Wells, there is a major drop in talent level. Blair is getting out of Dodge before the cupboard is bare.

All that being said, the #1 team should have expect max effort from their opponent. I'm sure Blair is emphasizing that they must compete on the boards to stand a chance. I'm glad there's a revenge angle to this game, so we won't overlook them.
Really good points thanks

ESPN has reranked the top 25 WBB players at mid season. Guess who is #1??? We have 3 in the top 16. UCONN had 4 preseason, they now have 1 at #25. Minus our 3 there 22 and have or will see 11 of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT