ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

The people who don't get to play, even in the most lopsided victories, unless they are seniors, are being told they might as well mosey on to make room. It's an open-door invitation into the portal.
They are only 5 seniors on the roster and only two incoming freshman. So coach doesn't need to free up any scholarships.

The people who don't get to play, even in the most lopsided victories, unless they are seniors, are being told they might as well mosey on to make room. It's an open-door invitation into the portal.
Well congratulations Captain Obvious. After making veiled references to God knows what. You give us this banal insight? Check out who has left in the last 10 years from this program and get back to me on DS’s relationship with players who don’t play.

First look at Ole Miss

We have very similar stats in scoring, scoring D, fg shooting %, ft attempted and %,

We are significantly better rebounding team, better, 3pt shooting % we also shoot significantly more, better defensive shooting %

They force 20 turnovers a game and only commit 13.

They have a nine player rotation so we are not going to wear them down. The catch is, after Austin they are undersized down low. They have a lot of pesky on ball defenders. Monk was the DPOY last year in the AAC.

Keys

Protect the ball!!!
Keep Austin from scoring down low, push her out. Madison Scott is their 2nd scorer, Beal will draw her
Score down low, Hit a few threes and this becomes a much easier game
Rebound
The teams that have beaten us over the last couple of seasons all had the ability to stretch the floor, some more than others, with the 3 point shot. That's not really the Rebs game. The other key has been team that can stay close to Carolina in rebounds. Watching Ole Miss against UT, I was a little surprised they didn't rebound better. Carolina/Ole Miss is going to be a low-scoring, tough defensive battle, so extra possessions are going to matter. The Rebels are going to have to find a way to keep the rebounding difference in single digits.

Destanni is now shooting 43% from 3. Hopefully she'll look for her shot tomorrow night.

They are only 5 seniors on the roster and only two incoming freshman. So coach doesn't need to free up any scholarships.
That's not the only reason for encouraging people to leave. There's nothing wrong with exploiting any convenient opportunity to improve a roster. We should have some interest on the part of players who are currently elsewhere also. If I'm practicing hard but not playing under almost any circumstances, I can't help thinking I could play elsewhere, even if I have to trade down. I also can't help but think the coaches would be fine with it but might not want to say it. My never coming off the pine is their way of saying it.

Well congratulations Captain Obvious. After making veiled references to God knows what. You give us this banal insight? Check out who has left in the last 10 years from this program and get back to me on DS’s relationship with players who don’t play.
So you're saying when the team is 40 points ahead, a Junior and Senior that's been on the bench doesn't need to play because the others need a few more minutes of playing time? The premise of that is ridiculous. The whole bench should have been cleared, period. There is no valid excuse.

They practice, they're on the team, they never get hardly any time on the court, let them play a few minutes for goodness sakes. What do you think they felt like afterwards? Just a bad decision.
They (whoever that might be) have enjoyed being in arguably the best womens program in the country, have gotten a free education, been to the NCAA tournament every year, have the best living accomodations possible, have no professional aspirations, and have the option of staying or leaving if they arent happy with Dawns decisions. Dawn has done pretty well running her program the way she sees it should be run. Not playing those girls was NOT a bad decision. Thats just my opinion.

Well, Ensign Insult, it wasn't said in this conversation before I said it, was it?
Well then why not say it the first time? Instead you made vague/oblique hints, that sounded as if there was some hidden agenda that was too dangerous to name on a internet board.

So you're saying when the team is 40 points ahead, a Junior and Senior that's been on the bench doesn't need to play because the others need a few more minutes of playing time? The premise of that is ridiculous. The whole bench should have been cleared, period. There is no valid excuse.
Well, first check out what I said. That I wished OT and Wesolek had played. Next I said that I could understand the rationale. Third I said Geno has been getting a pass on that behavior for three decades and the Vandy coach was his player and assistant for almost 20 years

Well then why not say it the first time? Instead you made vague/oblique hints, that sounded as if there was some hidden agenda that was too dangerous to name on a internet board.

Could it be that you were just waiting for someone to bring up what you assumed he was implying?
Could it be he made it vague just to see the reaction? King is a lot more intelligent than most on here.

I'm trying to take a gradualistic approach to any input I offer in this thread since more direct approaches from me aren't appreciated. Gradualistic approaches from me aren't appreciated, either. That's ok. I'll see you on the other board - when and if you evidence yourself over there. In that frontier, all threads will be made new. Maybe some people can start over as well.

Could it be that you were just waiting for someone to bring up what you assumed he was implying?
Could it be he made it vague just to see the reaction? King is a lot more intelligent than most on here.
Could it be that he was baiting the board with dark hints hoping someone would bite? That when no one did and people pushed back he retreated a nondescript comment?

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Yes — the Vandy game was a definite message that you aren’t going to play much in the future so you might as well move on. It was a message that we need to make room for some high-value incoming portal transfers.

Reactions: king ward
I disagree that king has displayed any evidence of superior intelligence on here. I have yet to see him contribute on worthwhile post on basketball.

Reactions: Conway Gamecock
Yes — the Vandy game was a definite message that you aren’t going to play much in the future so you might as well move on. It was a message that we need to make room for some high-value incoming portal transfers.
I disagree completely. We have two available scholarships for next season. There was no message.

For all the talk about how much depth we have, the truth is we haven't looked good at all when Boston's not in the game. The Vandy game was the first time the bench was really impressive. Great experience for the young players. Hopefully, if called upon, they can deliver down the stretch and into the tournament.

A lot of people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Dawn has been very transparent to her players about playing time. This year in particular was always going to be extra tough due to the amount of talent and extra Covid year. Everyone knew what they were getting into when they decided against the transfer portal. You can't make everyone happy all the time.
Maybe it's just me, but if it's between disappointing some players with garbage minutes or building something to obtain a national championship, I rather get the championship.

Our final line up included 4 McDonald's All-americans who for the most part don't play much and our 6th woman in Amihere whose is a middle of a comeback from missing numerous games. We saw season high scoring from both of our freshmen guards that could impact us in the tournament and encourage their willingness to stay in the program. For the first time we saw some serious gelling from our bench. We're in the final third of the season, every minute is valuable experience. You can't underestimate the value of what that 4th quarter secondary group could lead to and help separate us from other programs.

A lot of people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Dawn has been very transparent to her players about playing time. This year in particular was always going to be extra tough due to the amount of talent and extra Covid year. Everyone knew what they were getting into when they decided against the transfer portal. You can't make everyone happy all the time.
Maybe it's just me, but if it's between disappointing some players with garbage minutes or building something to obtain a national championship, I rather get the championship.

Our final line up included 4 McDonald's All-americans who for the most part don't play much and our 6th woman in Amihere whose is a middle of a comeback from missing numerous games. We saw season high scoring from both of our freshmen guards that could impact us in the tournament and encourage their willingness to stay in the program. For the first time we saw some serious gelling from our bench. We're in the final third of the season, every minute is valuable experience. You can't underestimate the value of what that 4th quarter secondary group could lead to and help separate us from other programs.
Making excuses for not playing everyone with a 40 point lead. They are part of the team, then they need to play. If the 4th quarter girls need time to develop, they will get it. It is a bad look no matter what you say.

Reactions: Cybercock
Vandy was down 42 in the 4th quarter and diving into player's knees.

gamecocks1.gif

That's cool. They played hard to end and we played hard to the end.

Vandy was down 42 in the 4th quarter and diving into player's knees.

gamecocks1.gif

That's cool. They played hard to end and we played hard to the end.
I will give them that, they didn't give up. I'm not going to lie that play scared me. Amihere has had too many injuries over the years for that kind of play.

Last edited:

LOL......no. He did this stuff for years on PSR. He is just an instigator, nothing more. He has NEVER - never - added anything of value on his own to a thread of discussion regarding Gamecock sports. He is a contrarian and provocateur - he bases his "intelligence" on the responses he elicits from others by his comments.....

LOL......no. He did this stuff for years on PSR. He is just an instigator, nothing more. He has NEVER - never - added anything of value on his own to a thread of discussion regarding Gamecock sports. He is a contrarian and provocateur - he bases his "intelligence" on the responses he elicits from others by his comments.....
You know what, I sensed your satisfaction in writing that all the way from here - and I was actually happy for you.

Reactions: Cybercock
Where was this Lele? I will gladly take this one. Good team effort with everybody getting involved so far.
I've been thinking about this question. One difference is Lele has been entering the game at the 4 spot, in Amihere's place. Perhaps Lele works better as a wing, like she played against Vandy. I definitely think she excels when we apply full court pressure. I hope we see more of it as the season progresses.

So Uconn won a nailbiter against DePaul last night. They needed a last second shot to pull off the win. Interesting enough two players that wasn't supposed to play in our scheduled game in Christyn Williams and Azzi Fudd were suddenly available to play against DePaul today. Looks like Geno was trying to use some gamemanship to catch us off guard before the cancellation.

I've been thinking about this question. One difference is Lele has been entering the game at the 4 spot, in Amihere's place. Perhaps Lele works better as a wing, like she played against Vandy. I definitely think she excels when we apply full court pressure. I hope we see more of it as the season progresses.
Guys, there is rehab and then there is getting back into game form. Lele was 4-6 weeks ahead of schedule in rehab, she is just now rounding into game form. Part of getting into game form is touch, team familiarity and that internal voice that asks the question “Can my body do what it use to do?”
Lele is the Swiss Army knife off the bench. She can play 2-4. Rebound, defend, slash, and she was excellent from the line last year. And don’t forget she was our backup pg last year.
DS is all about can I trust you in the game? By tourney time I believe we will be six deep on the bench; Amihere, Cardoso, Lele, Littleton, Hall and Rivers.

So Uconn won a nailbiter against DePaul last night. They needed a last second shot to pull off the win. Interesting enough two players that wasn't supposed to play in our scheduled game in Christyn Williams and Azzi Fudd were suddenly available to play against DePaul today. Looks like Geno was trying to use some gamemanship to catch us off guard before the cancellation.
Geno is the king BUT when he does this it shows internal weakness and doubt.

Geno is the king BUT when he does this it shows internal weakness and doubt.
I'm actually not mad at it. It keeps everyone on their toes. I will say that DePaul freshman Aneesah Morrow is no joke. She had a 30 point and 14 rebound game against them. She's my NFOY so far.

Reactions: winloseortie
Making excuses for not playing everyone with a 40 point lead. They are part of the team, then they need to play. If the 4th quarter girls need time to develop, they will get it. It is a bad look no matter what you say.

I'm actually not mad at it. It keeps everyone on their toes. I will say that DePaul freshman Aneesah Morrow is no joke. She had a 30 point and 14 rebound game against them. She's my NFOY so far.
while being mauled by Ono all night

It wouldn't have worked either way - they were going down regardless ;)

Last edited:
Bet Dawn prepared as if the whole Uconn team was available including Buckets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT