ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

I rewatched that game last night. The turnovers for UT were pretty bad. At the same time, they've turned the ball over all season and still won a bunch of games. The Vols were noticeably not as good with Key off the floor, but even when she was playing, it felt like she could have been more of a factor on the offensive end. We need to pound the ball inside and make Auburn's bigs defend; something UT didn't do enough. They will probably foul. Man, do they foul a lot! We should get plenty of free throw practice in this game.

Does anyone know if Cardoso and Amihere are back? Not only does Auburn commit a lot of fouls, they also draw a lot of fouls. We could use the depth.
Yes, Auburn players foul a lot

I've never been that impressed with Key. She's very foul prone herself. She gives u D but very limited offense like u said.

Reactions: DarkCock
Yes, Auburn players foul a lot

I've never been that impressed with Key. She's very foul prone herself. She gives u D but very limited offense like u said.
Key reminds me alot of Jenna Staiti. Neither is athletic enough to go against someone like Aliyah. She plays timid because she is foul prone. Get her in early foul trouble and Tenn is done. Horston is very good but she can't carry the team. Hopefully we aren't too hyped up and will play our style of play. If we can do that, this shouldn't be close..

Reactions: uscedge21
Key reminds me alot of Jenna Staiti. Neither is athletic enough to go against someone like Aliyah. She plays timid because she is foul prone. Get her in early foul trouble and Tenn is done. Horston is very good but she can't carry the team. Hopefully we aren't too hyped up and will play our style of play. If we can do that, this shouldn't be close..
Yes, Key is very timid. So far this has been Horston's best yr with Tenn - but she turns the ball over a lot.

I think we'll be alright. But first Auburn

A couple of questions. Is the injury to Cardoso serious and I did not notice Raven on the bench tonight? Anyone know if she is ok?

And a comment. I love Andrea Carter!!!
I'm assuming the boot is precautionary but we'll probably find out for sure in the next few days. No clue about Raven, I know she was around in previous games so let's just hope everything is ok.

Read on Vol nation that UT trainers had to put an air cast on Horston's ar.. Hope she's OK.

I'm assuming the boot is precautionary but we'll probably find out for sure in the next few days. No clue about Raven, I know she was around in previous games so let's just hope everything is ok.
Raven was on the floor in warm ups without any noticeable brace on. She looked healthy and happy.

We now have a two game lead for the SEC regular season title. I think Finley at Florida has a real shot at NCOY.

Wanted a better showing from Auburn. Glad I watched from home instead.

Florida slaps Arkansas and Bama slaps Tenn - what is going on in the SEC?

Would love for Finley - Florida's coach to win COY. We'll see what they do.

If we take care of business on Sunday, then we can finish no worse than tied for 1st with either LSU or Florida. They play each other next.

Reactions: gamecockblack
How in the world did UT lose to Alabama and Auburn... both basement dwellers.
Then again... us with Missouri is a head shaker

Missouri is a rivalry game so to speak where you can throw stats out of the window. Missouri didn't play too tough a non-conference schedule, and came in 11-2 for the conference-opener against us in Bizaaro-Columbia. They came into the game having played Alabama A&M, Southern, and Illinois, while we came into the game having played #8 Maryland, #15 Duke, and #2 Stanford.

One would think our team would've been the most game-hardened and prepared, even across the Christmas break, but Missouri was ready to play and needed overtime to beat us, but they did. Since then, Missouri has gone 4-8, including now they are on a 4-game SEC losing streak. They were once 5-4 in the SEC. I think they started strong and are wearing down and losing confidence in the final stretch. Their first 2 SEC wins were overtime wins, and they also lost in OT to LSU in their 4th SEC game. It seems the lucky bounces and late-game responses are not there for them anymore....

Sunday is setting up pretty nicely for us - Boston kept her streak alive playing only 20 minutes, Cooke seems to be getting her offensive confidence back, and Amihere at least has been able to return her post depth to be team. The Lady Vols meanwhile have to be at their least-confident right now, with Key being foul-prone and her primary post back-up not available to play, and the team seems to be falling backwards into the same type of lackluster, no-energy to play type of efforts that plagued the Holly Warlick teams.

The game Sunday will be sold out - there were only some 1,500 available seats left at the start of this week - and ESPN Gameday will be there to televise the game. A great opportunity to broadcast and sell Dawn Staley's Gamecock program to the masses, against one of the past WBB juggernauts. Lets continue the Vols' miseries......

I believe this is the tenth game this season South Carlina has held the opponent to 46 points or less.

South Carolina is ranked 63rd currently in Scoring Offense at 71.4 ppg. That doesn't look great, but there are a ton of programs bunched together just above scoring 70 ppg: if we averaged 4 ppg more we'd be in the top 25.

South Carolina is 5th nationally in Scoring Defense, allowing 51.0 ppg: right behind Georgia Tech who is 4th also allowing 51.0 - they get to be ranked ahead of us because they've played 1 more game than we have, currently. But we are the top Power 5 programs in that ranking. We're also 3rd nationally in Scoring Margin, at 20.4 ppg, the top P5 program in that category.

When one considers the strength of schedule we've played to get to those high rankings, plus the fact that Staley has always been a stickler for giving her reserves as much playing opportunities as possible in the 4th quarters, those stats are truly impressive.

South Carolina's scoring per quarter for the season is as follows: 1) 463, 2) 426, 3) 473, 4) 417 - the 1st and 3rd quarters are naturally the highest-scoring quarters, because those are the quarters when the starters are in the game. The 4th Quarter is the lowest, because that's the one quarter that is sure to see reserves play the dominant minutes - in some games that were close in the 1st half, starters have to stay in games late in the 2nd Qtr., so it's not as low. But we've averaged 889 ppg combined in the 1st half, and 890 ppg in the 2nd half - pretty solid balance.......

Incidentally, opponents' combined scoring per quarter is: 1) 309, 2) 303, 3) 321, 4) 336. So the 4th Qtr. is their best scoring quarter, while it is our worst. Makes sense as they are typically trailing - often trailing BIG - and have to make one last offensive surge to get back into the game. That can apply with the 2nd half scoring overall, as opponents have to make adjustments and play with more urgency being typically behind in the score of the game at that point. But opponents also play more often against Gamecock reserves in the 4th period.....

Last edited:
Sunday is setting up pretty nicely for us - Boston kept her streak alive playing only 20 minutes, Cooke seems to be getting her offensive confidence back, and Amihere at least has been able to return her post depth to be team. The Lady Vols meanwhile have to be at their least-confident right now, with Key being foul-prone and her primary post back-up not available to play, and the team seems to be falling backwards into the same type of lackluster, no-energy to play type of efforts that plagued the Holly Warlick teams.

The game Sunday will be sold out - there were only some 1,500 available seats left at the start of this week - and ESPN Gameday will be there to televise the game. A great opportunity to broadcast and sell Dawn Staley's Gamecock program to the masses, against one of the past WBB juggernauts. Lets continue the Vols' miseries......

I did NOT get to watch any of the Tennessee-Alabama game. Only knew that they lost to Alabama. Now I am finding out that Jordan Horston was lost to an injury, which may factor in her availability for our game this Sunday.

Learning this now, makes my above comments seem a bit cold. I never want to see any players get injured, ours or theirs. I would rather both teams take the field of endeavor at full strength, and then ours beat theirs that way.

So perhaps there was a legitimate reason for the Lady Vols to play lacklusterly during the Alabama game, if they were reacting to Horston's injury. That team has already taken more hits this season than their fair share. Although I do not like Tennessee and they bend over backwards earning that dislike from me on a regular basis, I never would wish injury to their student-athletes......

I did NOT get to watch any of the Tennessee-Alabama game. Only knew that they lost to Alabama. Now I am finding out that Jordan Horston was lost to an injury, which may factor in her availability for our game this Sunday.

Learning this now, makes my above comments seem a bit cold. I never want to see any players get injured, ours or theirs. I would rather both teams take the field of endeavor at full strength, and then ours beat theirs that way.

So perhaps there was a legitimate reason for the Lady Vols to play lacklusterly during the Alabama game, if they were reacting to Horston's injury. That team has already taken more hits this season than their fair share. Although I do not like Tennessee and they bend over backwards earning that dislike from me on a regular basis, I never would wish injury to their student-athletes......
This injury happened with only a few minutes left in the game. They didn't play well the entire game.

I have no idea what the long term prognosis is for Horston, but I can't imagine any scenario in which she plays Sunday. When the medical staff brings out a stretcher for an arm injury that can't be good.

UT1.jpg

I was looking forward to the matchup with Zia. They are old rivals from their Ohio high school days. Without Horston, I don't know who on the Vols roster can guard Zia.

Anyway, her health is what's important now. I wish her the best.

• Sad
Reactions: Gamekem
South Carolina is ranked 63rd currently in Scoring Offense at 71.4 ppg. That doesn't look great, but there are a ton of programs bunched together just above scoring 70 ppg: if we averaged 4 ppg more we'd be in the top 25.

South Carolina is 5th nationally in Scoring Defense, allowing 51.0 ppg: right behind Georgia Tech who is 4th also allowing 51.0 - they get to be ranked ahead of us because they've played 1 more game than we have, currently. But we are the top Power 5 programs in that ranking. We're also 3rd nationally in Scoring Margin, at 20.4 ppg, the top P5 program in that category.

When one considers the strength of schedule we've played to get to those high rankings, plus the fact that Staley has always been a stickler for giving her reserves as much playing opportunities as possible in the 4th quarters, those stats are truly impressive.

South Carolina's scoring per quarter for the season is as follows: 1) 463, 2) 426, 3) 473, 4) 417 - the 1st and 3rd quarters are naturally the highest-scoring quarters, because those are the quarters when the starters are in the game. The 4th Quarter is the lowest, because that's the one quarter that is sure to see reserves play the dominant minutes - in some games that were close in the 1st half, starters have to stay in games late in the 2nd Qtr., so it's not as low. But we've averaged 889 ppg combined in the 1st half, and 890 ppg in the 2nd half - pretty solid balance.......

Incidentally, opponents' combined scoring per quarter is: 1) 309, 2) 303, 3) 321, 4) 336. So the 4th Qtr. is their best scoring quarter, while it is our worst. Makes sense as they are typically trailing - often trailing BIG - and have to make one last offensive surge to get back into the game. That can apply with the 2nd half scoring overall, as opponents have to make adjustments and play with more urgency being typically behind in the score of the game at that point. But opponents also play more often against Gamecock reserves in the 4th period.....
Great post.

Nice! Edwards is currently listed as the #1 player. Don't know if she'll stay in the top spot but she won't drop far either way. Hope she enjoys the game and the atmosphere.

Reactions: Cockygirl1976
If we lost to UT, then we would have to win out (assuming UT wins their remaining games) because we would not own the tiebreaker against them.
UT has three SEC losses — we have just one. If we lose to UT today we would have just two SEC losses.

UT has three SEC losses — we have just one. If we lose to UT today we would have just two SEC losses.
...I know that...and if we lose another we'd have 3 losses and lose the tiebreaker to UT (assuming UT doesn't lose another game).

To clarify, my post was trying to state that with a loss to UT, we still need to win both games against A&M and Ole Miss to clinch the SEC. Alternatively, we clinch the SEC regular season title with a win today no matter the outcome of those games.

Orange hair? ALIYAH BOSTON WHY? I can imagine the guy in the commercial saying " ALIYAH BOSTON WHY?"

Seriously, that was a very good segment on Aliyah Boston on College gameday. The Boston family and the St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. are very proud of Aliyah.

Last edited:
LSU plays UF later so whoever loses is mathematically eliminated from the SEC regular season title.
The winner can only share the title with us if we were to lose both remaining games and they win theirs..
Still will be number 1 seed no matter what.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT