ADVERTISEMENT

33 wins in three seasons - 4 two years later

Midwest GmCk

Nov 19, 2011
I'm sure I'm not alone, but I can't help but think that this feels like a colossal drop-off. I can't put my finger on how we've arrived here. I feel like this year is the result of a perfect storm of events.

1. Poor recruiting. I would have liked to think that 33 wins would pay immediate dividends in the quality of players arriving on campus. It hasn't. If anything, coaches have rested on their laurels.

2. Poor coaching, especially on the defensive end. Opposing QBs haven't feel pressured since #7 left. Linebackers can't tackle. Secondary can't cover. We don't have a Jonathan Joseph or Stephon Gilmore or anyone even resembling an All-SEC 2nd-Team corner.

3. Players left/graduated at the wrong time. Replacing the winningest QB in school history isn't supposed to be easy, but we haven't completed 60% of our passes since. Replacing all of that talent could have been made easier if there had been a little more foresight.

4. No speed, strength, or attitude. With a team full of complementary pieces, there is no one left to put the team on his back. There's no Swearinger to lay the boom, no Lattimore/Davis to take the hit and fall forward, no Ace/Alshon to go get 6 points.

I'm sure I'm not alone, but I can't help but think that this feels like a colossal drop-off. I can't put my finger on how we've arrived here. I feel like this year is the result of a perfect storm of events.

1. Poor recruiting. I would have liked to think that 33 wins would pay immediate dividends in the quality of players arriving on campus. It hasn't. If anything, coaches have rested on their laurels.

2. Poor coaching, especially on the defensive end. Opposing QBs haven't feel pressured since #7 left. Linebackers can't tackle. Secondary can't cover. We don't have a Jonathan Joseph or Stephon Gilmore or anyone even resembling an All-SEC 2nd-Team corner.

3. Players left/graduated at the wrong time. Replacing the winningest QB in school history isn't supposed to be easy, but we haven't completed 60% of our passes since. Replacing all of that talent could have been made easier if there had been a little more foresight.

4. No speed, strength, or attitude. With a team full of complementary pieces, there is no one left to put the team on his back. There's no Swearinger to lay the boom, no Lattimore/Davis to take the hit and fall forward, no Ace/Alshon to go get 6 points.
No Connor Shaw to turn a busted up 3rd down and 7 to a fresh set of downs by extending the play with his will power and legs.

A young team playing 3 straight power 5 teams to open the season was not a recipe for a good start. Maybe playing a few lesser opponents would help both our record and confidence. Must be nice to open against 2 2nd tier teams to get your sea legs. I don't presume to know how we will finish, but I think it may be better than some of you anticipate.

A young team playing 3 straight power 5 teams to open the season was not a recipe for a good start. Maybe playing a few lesser opponents would help both our record and confidence. Must be nice to open against 2 2nd tier teams to get your sea legs. I don't presume to know how we will finish, but I think it may be better than some of you anticipate.
North Carolina and Kentucky are 2 of the weakest teams in the country already. We lost to one of them and almost lost them both.

Vandy played the team that just beat us by 30 pts a lot better than we did. Vandy is the last weak team on our SEC schedule.

We may not win an SEC game this year.

Arkansas opened with UTEP and Toledo. They then played Texas Tech and are 1-2. Texas A&M opened up with Arizona State, Ball St., and Nevada. There are teams other than Clemson that play smaller games at the beginning of the year. Here's another. Miss St. opened with Southern Miss, LSU, and Northwestern St. Those are a little mixed up, but you get my point.

I see your point too. It helps a team gel a little to warm up against weaker teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT