ADVERTISEMENT

5-2...Pick mid season MVP

More improved than DJ Wonnum? I don't think so. I knew Brunson was going to be a good player this year. I had no idea that Wonnum would be wreaking this type of havoc.
Wonnum led all freshman in tackles last year, he had 5 TFL, and I think 2 sacks. He's stepped it up this year for sure, and he's probably one of our most consistent players. TJ stands out to me the most and I think has made a bigger leap as far as improvement goes. Wonnum was always good, he's just become even more consistent in his play this year. I also think TJ's improvement has taken a lot off of Skai and made his comeback go that much more smoothly.

Wonnum led all freshman in tackles last year, he had 5 TFL, and I think 2 sacks. He's stepped it up this year for sure, and he's probably one of our most consistent players. TJ stands out to me the most and I think has made a bigger leap as far as improvement goes. Wonnum was always good, he's just become even more consistent in his play this year.
Don't agree but it's great we have two young players that have really stepped it up and are having big years.

Reactions: wolverine 2
Wonnum, Fenton, Moore on D. Edwards on O. I wish I could add a couple of more to the O. Maybe an offensive lineman like Knott ?

Reactions: viennacocks
It's always good when you have the problem of not being able to agree who's the MVP because you have several players that could be.
Interesting that both players were committed to other schools (VTech and Indiana). Champ turned them both to USC. Can't imagine where we would be w/o them.

Wonnum is the most disruptive force on the D. Deebo was a gamechanger even though he only played a few games.

My pick is DJ Wonnum with Skai Moore a close second
Wonnum on defense. Brunson has been a pleasant surprise but still makes a lot of mistakes. To me, Skai has just now (in the last two games) started to look like his old self. He seemed kind of hesitant out there the first several games.

Deebo would win this (overall and/or just for offense and special teams) hands down if he were still playing.

I'm gonna go against the grain and say Jake Bentley. Given the expectations and microscope he's under, kid's performed well enough to be in my mind the one player USC can least do without to this point. I think that's what most valuable means.

But I can't argue with those other selections. All those kids have played well.

I'm gonna go against the grain and say Jake Bentley. Given the expectations and microscope he's under, kid's performed well enough to be in my mind the one player USC can least do without to this point. I think that's what most valuable means.

But I can't argue with those other selections. All those kids have played well.
OP said MVP, not most improved or best overall player, the most valuable.....that has to be Jake, no way around that

Hard question. Take Deebo off the field and we lose to N.C. ST. big time. Course Jake got the ball to receivers lots of time. Take those TDs away and we lose. Woonum D POW SEC 2 wks. in a row. How often has that happened for a USC player? Ans. Deebo of course.

OP said MVP, not most improved or best overall player, the most valuable.....that has to be Jake, no way around that

If Scarnecchia is 80% of the player that Jake is -- and I think I'm being generous with that estimate considering his lack of game experience -- we're possibly a 2-5 team considering how many close games we've played. So I think you have to pick Jake as MVP and I've been critical of him more than most.

Hard question. Take Deebo off the field and we lose to N.C. ST. big time. Course Jake got the ball to receivers lots of time. Take those TDs away and we lose. Woonum D POW SEC 2 wks. in a row. How often has that happened for a USC player? Ans. Deebo of course.

Wait a minute, it doesn't work that way. If you're keeping Deebo on the field for NC state, then you have to take Bentley off. Do we win that game without Jake?

Since 3 of our 5 wins have come by one possession, take any starter off the field and we probably lose a couple of games because we do not have depth at most positions.

Having said that:
Offense
Deebo Samuel - he STILL leads us in all purpose yards and hasn't suited up in a month!
Jake Bentley--if you don't think he's not valuable, remember what throwing the ball was like before he started games last season?
Ty Son Williams--considering he got the "Roper Redshirt" for 2 games his stats are pretty good. Has found holes where other RBs have not.

Defense:
Skai Moore--you do realize he may leave this University as the best defensive player of all time. Led the team in tackles every year, gets a ton of INTs. The man is everywhere & came back from injury.

Wonnum & Brunson--much improved but they are fighting it out for next years award

Since 3 of our 5 wins have come by one possession, take any starter off the field and we probably lose a couple of games because we do not have depth at most positions.

Having said that:
Offense
Deebo Samuel - he STILL leads us in all purpose yards and hasn't suited up in a month!
Jake Bentley--if you don't think he's not valuable, remember what throwing the ball was like before he started games last season?
Ty Son Williams--considering he got the "Roper Redshirt" for 2 games his stats are pretty good. Has found holes where other RBs have not.

Defense:
Skai Moore--you do realize he may leave this University as the best defensive player of all time. Led the team in tackles every year, gets a ton of INTs. The man is everywhere & came back from injury.

Wonnum & Brunson--much improved but they are fighting it out for next years award
Agree. Take Wonnum, Brunson or Moore off the field against NC State, La Tech or Tenn and we lose all three games.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Gotta be Jake...hasn’t lived up to the hype but some amazing throws have been made all year to score points because our running game and red zone offense has been so terrible. Take away those long TD passes and we lose every game except Arkansas. So not most talented or most improved but most valuable to our team.

Very close between Wonnum and Brunson. I'll call a push. Jamyst is playing well too. For vets, I'd say Fenton and lammons are playing pretty good. Offense, deebo and hurst. Bentley has slightly disappointed me at times. He really missed alot of open passes, but makes the difficult throws....still young.

Gotta be Jake...hasn’t lived up to the hype but some amazing throws have been made all year to score points because our running game and red zone offense has been so terrible. Take away those long TD passes and we lose every game except Arkansas. So not most talented or most improved but most valuable to our team.

Exactly. The fact that posters can't seem to decide between several players on defense should negate the idea that any one of them is the most valuable.

Look at it this way: if we were playing Clemson this weekend, which player could we least afford to lose?

Bentley's season reminds me of Todd Ellis' 1989 season. There's nothing particularly impressive about 10 TDs and 6 Ints (though, for Todd, that TD to Interception ratio was the best of his career). However, after he went down against NC State, we stood no chance against Clemson. We probably wouldn't have beaten them anyway with him, but we were completely helpless without him, even with Harold Green and Robert Brooks.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
Defensive Co-MVP: Wonnum and Fenton
Offensive MVP: Bentley

Defensive Newcomer: Brunson
Offensive Newcomer: Ortre Smith

Good stuff. I would be hard pressed, however, not to have Skai in the Def MVP category. Good call on Ortre. Lotta good players to look at.

1989 was Ellis 's best season, 10 TD's and 6 Int's was extremely impressive for him.

Remember he entered the season with a career mark of 39 TD's and 67 int's through his first 3 years.

In today's world of social media and instant stats, game replays, all games on TV, Ellis would be remembered differently by most fans.

1989 was Ellis 's best season, 10 TD's and 6 Int's was extremely impressive for him.

We did fall apart, DeMasi was not capable, I think our backs today all the way through Gordon are better then DeMasi.

Remember he entered the season with a career mark of 39 TD's and 67 int's through his first 3 years.

10 TD's and only 6 int was great for Ellis and showed progress

In today's world of social media and instant stats, game replays, all games on TV, Ellis would be remembered differently by most fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT