ADVERTISEMENT

70’s hoops

jacksweb

Gold Member
Dec 28, 2000
Back in 1970 there was a PA announcer for the mens basketball games in Carolina coliseum. Bob Fulton called the games on radio but this guy did the game side PA. I think he was from WIS (maybe Joe Pinner). He used to introduce the team (Anda Now, IN-TRA-ducing the Gamecocks ova the University of SOUTH (pause, pause) CAROLINA!!!! As a 15 year old, I got a rush every time I heard this WWE style intro. Anybody remember the Guy’s name?

Back in 1970 there was a PA announcer for the mens basketball games in Carolina coliseum. Bob Fulton called the games on radio but this guy did the game side PA. I think he was from WIS (maybe Joe Pinner). He used to introduce the team (Anda Now, IN-TRA-ducing the Gamecocks ova the University of SOUTH (pause, pause) CAROLINA!!!! As a 15 year old, I got a rush every time I heard this WWE style intro. Anybody remember the Guy’s name?
I remember when they introduced Frank McGuire after naming the starting five the band would start playing “When Irish eyes are smiling.”

Reactions: ansoncock
Yes, the late Gene McKay. Later, he and 2 others (can't remember their names and, don't know if they are still around), left WIS radio and bought a radio station just across the river in West Columbia in the 1970s. McKay was also the PA guy for the football games. At the conclusion of the football games, he would always tell the fans to not forget to floss. He was a character.

Last edited:
Reactions: cpvniii
Since this topic has arisen, I'd like to put in a fond word for first PA announcer I ever head at what was Carolina Stadium back in the 1960s. He was Bill Outz (sp.) and he was dignified, distinct, sonorous, and just classy. "Good evening ladies and gentleman, and welcome to Carolina Stadium". I especially remember that he would salute visiting teams from other states by saying, "our visitors from the Old North State", or "our visitors from Ole Kaintuck", or whatever state appellation was appropriate.

Last edited:
Since this topic has arisen, I'd like to put in a fond word for first PA announcer I ever head at what was Carolina Stadium back in the 1960s. He was Bill Outz (sp.) and he was dignified, distinct, sonorous, and just classy. "Good evening ladies and gentleman, and welcome to Carolina Stadium". I especially remember that he would salute visiting teams from other states by saying, "our visitors form the Old North State", or "our visitors from Ole Kaintuck", or whatever state appellation was appropriate.
I THINK he was a City Councilman in Columbia, too. And I think he had a grandson who was an athlete at Carolina. McKay replaced him after he either passed away or retired. I remember him, too.

Reactions: king ward
Joe Petty.
By golly six, you got it. It was Joe petty! Thanks. I’ve been racking my brain for years. First he would deadpan the opponent’s announcement with a boring “Introducing the Terrapins of Maryland… at forward Tom McMillan, blah blah and then switch over to the voice of Moses parting the Red Sea. It would take him 30 seconds of enunciating every syllable from his diaphragm just to get through the initial line of the introductions. I was 15 but I got my Dad to put a 20ft pole on the roof and an antenna tuned for VHS ch 10 and point it toward Columbia so I could barely watch every Gamecock basketball game through the black and white snow on the screen (from Aiken). It was glorious and Joe Petty set the mood.

It was not Joe Petty. Joe was sports director at WIS and did play by play on TV. He was wonderful BTW. The PA announcer during the McGuire years was indeed Uncle Gene himself, Gene Mckay. And kudos to King Ward for remembering another legend, Bill Ouzts who had a voice and a delivery right out of an NFL films documentary as PA announcer at football games

It was not Joe Petty. Joe was sports director at WIS and did play by play on TV. He was wonderful BTW. The PA announcer during the McGuire years was indeed Uncle Gene himself, Gene Mckay. And kudos to King Ward for remembering another legend, Bill Ouzts who had a voice and a delivery right out of an NFL films documentary as PA announcer at football games
Joe Petty sometimes introduced starting lineups for games Channel 10 televised. The players would be introduced on-camera but Joe was not heard in the arena but on TV only. It was in addition to the regular introduction of the players, which was handled by the regular PA announcer.

Yes, the late Gene McKay. Later, he and 2 others (can't remember their names and, don't know if they are still around), left WIS radio and bought a radio station just across the river in West Columbia in the 1970s. McKay was also the PA guy for the football games. At the conclusion of the football games, he would always tell the fans to not forget to floss. He was a character.
That was WSCQ.

Joe Petty sometimes introduced starting lineups for games Channel 10 televised. The players would be introduced on-camera but Joe was not heard in the arena but on TV only. It was in addition to the regular introduction of the players, which was handled by the regular PA announcer.
Thank you for clarifying, They were both great. Epic. I got to know Uncle Gene when I was in school from 77-81 and he was as good a person as he was a PA announcer. And as crazy in real life as he was behind the mike!

To this day when I watch a basketball game, any basketball game, Joe Petty's Boston accent is the soundtrack in my head. "Cremins was definitely hacked" "A reaching in foul" "Roche drives the baseline" "The give and go" and my all-time favorite "lest anyone forget (long dramatic pause) the record (another long dramatic pause) was 25-3!

Last edited:
Since this topic has arisen, I'd like to put in a fond word for first PA announcer I ever head at what was Carolina Stadium back in the 1960s. He was Bill Outz (sp.) and he was dignified, distinct, sonorous, and just classy. "Good evening ladies and gentleman, and welcome to Carolina Stadium". I especially remember that he would salute visiting teams from other states by saying, "our visitors from the Old North State", or "our visitors from Ole Kaintuck", or whatever state appellation was appropriate.

Outz best in my lifetime by a mile…………great man, great grad & what a voice!
I can still hear him after the tackle……. “Prezioso”.

I wish I were around back then. Everything is generic compared nowadays. There is no “class” or “style” anymore. The red (garnet?) carpet sounds bad ass and should be brought back.

Only ones I can think of in my time anywhere is the PA announcers for the 80’s Lakers and 90’s Bulls. Early Hornets guy was good too.

I’m sure I heard Fulton but can’t remember.

Gene McKay was his "radio name". His real name was Eugene Klemick!

Thank you for clarifying, They were both great. Epic. I got to know Uncle Gene when I was in school from 77-81 and he was as good a person as he was a PA announcer. And as crazy in real life as he was behind the mike!

To this day when I watch a basketball game, any basketball game, Joe Petty's Boston accent is the soundtrack in my head. "Cremins was definitely hacked" "A reaching in foul" "Roche drives the baseline" "The give and go" and my all-time favorite "lest anyone forget (long dramatic pause) the record (another long dramatic pause) was 25-3!
And at some point, Joe Daggett did the play-by-play on those WIS-TV games. How literate he was. "That's HE with the ball".

By golly six, you got it. It was Joe petty! Thanks. I’ve been racking my brain for years. First he would deadpan the opponent’s announcement with a boring “Introducing the Terrapins of Maryland… at forward Tom McMillan, blah blah and then switch over to the voice of Moses parting the Red Sea. It would take him 30 seconds of enunciating every syllable from his diaphragm just to get through the initial line of the introductions. I was 15 but I got my Dad to put a 20ft pole on the roof and an antenna tuned for VHS ch 10 and point it toward Columbia so I could barely watch every Gamecock basketball game through the black and white snow on the screen (from Aiken). It was glorious and Joe Petty set the mood.

Wasn't unusual for him to show up at the games drunk as a skunk. Later had to undergo some rehab as I recall.

Wasn't unusual for him to show up at the games drunk as a skunk. Later had to undergo some rehab as I recall.
Joe Petty finally got on top of his problems. After he left WIS-TV, he spent some time as an administrative person at the Lancaster hospital's rehab facility. I actually ran into him - didn't speak to him - at the hospital's cafeteria when I was up there visiting. He was with some other people and seemed well.

Joe Petty finally got on top of his problems. After he left WIS-TV, he spent some time as an administrative person at the Lancaster hospital's rehab facility. I actually ran into him - didn't speak to him - at the hospital's cafeteria when I was up there visiting. He was with some other people and seemed well.
Yep. Joe straightened himself out and spent the rest of his life counseling others and raising money for treatment programs. And while its not appropriate for this board, he wasn't the only broadcast legend from this area who had major issues with the bottle back then. Thankfully, most of them also eventually got their lives in order.

Great to see Joe, Uncle Gene and Bill Ouzts remembered. Throwbacks to the day when it seemed USC did things first class and the sky seemed to be the limit

And at some point, Joe Daggett did the play-by-play on those WIS-TV games. How literate he was. "That's HE with the ball".
Daggett was a good guy who just wasn't near the talent level of a guy like Joe Petty. There is a documentary in the USC archives of the 73-74 basketball season narrated by Joe Petty. I've been looking for it to post so the younger guys can hear how terrific he was but I can't find it, damnit.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Daggett was a good guy who just wasn't near the talent level of a guy like Joe Petty. There is a documentary in the USC archives of the 73-74 basketball season narrated by Joe Petty. I've been looking for it to post so the younger guys can hear how terrific he was but I can't find it, damnit.
I thought Daggett's nightly sportscasts were excellent. He only had a three-minute block so conciseness was key. I ran into him down at the Masters one year and he was extremely nice to me. He told me that what he enjoyed most about broadcasting was the writing.

I thought Daggett's nightly sportscasts were excellent. He only had a three-minute block so conciseness was key. I ran into him down at the Masters one year and he was extremely nice to me. He told me that what he enjoyed most about broadcasting was the writing.
I got to know him pretty well when I was in school. He was good-natured and a gentleman. But, I agree with you that basketball play-by-play wasn't his strong suit

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT