ADVERTISEMENT

A History of the Gamecocks (written in 2030)

OldWiseCock

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia
The 2020 football season is best known as the "Pandemic Season". A 10 game conference only schedule was cut short by the SEC after 4 games when the Gamecocks were 0-4. A 24-7 loss at home to Tennessee was an inauspicious beginning to the Mike Bobo era. The Gamecocks managed just 198 yards of total offense most of it coming in the second half against UT's back ups.

The next week was a little kinder. The Gamecocks played valiantly in Gainesville and actually led at the half 17-10. Florida found its stride late in the 3rd quarter and went on to win 35-20.

What many had penciled in as a win against Vandy in the 3rd week turned into a nightmare. With several key players lost to injuries, and to Coronavirus, the Gamecocks once again struggled and lost to Vandy 17-3 in Nashville. Interceptions by both Collin Hill and Ryan Hilinski, both of which resulted in scores by Vandy were their undoing.

The following week proved no better. With clusters of the virus growing in several different programs, SEC Presidents were scheduled to meet on Monday October 19th. The Gamecocks played host to Auburn that Saturday. They led the Tigers 10-3 at halftime, but again, turnovers were the culprit as the Gamecocks could not sustain the intensity. With reserves still playing at key positions for the Gamecocks, and with Auburn's better overall talent, the Tigers prevailed 24-16. The following Monday the remainder of the season was canceled.

Will Muschamp remained the Head Coach for 2 more seasons at SC. The Gamecocks finished 3-9 in 2021 but improved to 5-7 in 2022. Ray Tanner retired as AD on December 1, 2022 and was succeeded by Mark Coyle. Will Muschamp was terminated on December 10, 2022. Then came the surprise. New AD Mark Coyle was able to convince PJ Fleck to move south with him. He became the head coach of the Gamecocks on January 3, 2023.

With a Big 10 title and a playoff appearance under his belt at Minnesota, PJ's effect in Columbia was felt immediately. Rising senior Luke Doty became the star many thought he would be the moment he signed. He passed for 3800 yards and ran for another 900 leading the Gamecocks to a 9-3 regular season in 2023. That record included wins over Tennessee, Florida and Georgia for the SECE Division title. In the SEC championship game against Alabama (11-1) the Gamecocks nearly knocked off the Crimson Tide losing 27-24. The Gamecocks beat Baylor in the Sugar Bowl 27-10 to win 10 games for only the 5th time in its history.

That began a run of 6 straight seasons of 10 or more wins including 4 wins over Clemson for the first time since the Steve Spurrier years. In 2024, the Gamecocks began the season ranked #5 and did not disappoint the fans finishing 10-2 behind Senior QB Gunner Stockton who broke Luke Doty's single season passing record. In 2025 the Gamecocks finished 10-2 again but captured the SEC title in a 35-7 thrashing of Alabama which was led by first year coach Dabo Swinney. That led to the first ever appearance of the Gamecocks in the playoff losing to eventual champion Notre Dame. Fleck would take the Gamecocks to the playoff 2 more times making the championship game once.

Following the 2028 season in which the Gamecocks were the national runner up, PJ Fleck took the Head Coaching job with the Tennessee Titans. He was replaced by offensive coordinator Mike Sanford who continued the success established by Fleck with 2 more appearances in the playoff. The Gamecocks remain one of the top teams in the country surpassing both UGA and UF as the elite team in the SECE.

• Love
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I read something almost exactly like this when Holtz was announced as the coach. Edit: Got to love eternal optimism.

• Love
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
As much as I'd love to see this happen, I think you might be a little too optimistic.

Of course it's optimistic. What else have we got?

I would love to see Dabo take over at Alabama when Saban retires - and then fall flat on his face.

Mark Coyle is a young and successful AD. If he is available after RT retires we would be foolish to not go after him.

Despite the fact that Muschamp can't seem to coach and develop players, he has brought in some talent. A new coach might be able to do wonders with those players.

I dont think we lose to Vandy this, year, thats where you lost me.

The Tenn game description seemed all to real

Of course it's optimistic. What else have we got?

I would love to see Dabo take over at Alabama when Saban retires - and then fall flat on his face.

Mark Coyle is a young and successful AD. If he is available after RT retires we would be foolish to not go after him.

Despite the fact that Muschamp can't seem to coach and develop players, he has brought in some talent. A new coach might be able to do wonders with those players.
Dabo will stay at Clementine until retirement and live/die on whatever lake he lives on like Ford. and Howard. Except for his trips to his home in Boca Raton. He may be in a Woddy McCorvey type position possibly. Guessing Ford and Swinney will be buried beside Frank Howard in the Graveyard behind one of their upper decks.

Dabo will stay at Clementine until retirement and live/die on whatever lake he lives on like Ford. and Howard. Except for his trips to his home in Boca Raton. He may be in a Woddy McCorvey type position possibly. Guessing Ford and Swinney will be buried beside Frank Howard in the Graveyard behind one of their upper decks.
My way makes a better story. ;)

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT