ADVERTISEMENT

According to this it's down to 3

Kelvin Sampson is not black. Not that it matters a twit.

So the new guy is a former Wisc assistant under Bo Ryan . Bo once said “give me 5 guys that can screen and I’ll beat anybody.” I hope this carries over and is in the new guy’s blood. Screening to get players open. Not clear out and dribble the ball while 4 players stand and watch until the dribbler throws up a prayer.

And box out. TCU and Arizona never boxed out. It was a pitiful exhibition of basketball in a tournament that has shown better caliber of ball than the previous few. IMO.

Kelvin Sampson is not black. Not that it matters a twit.

So the new guy is a former Wisc assistant under Bo Ryan . Bo once said “give me 5 guys that can screen and I’ll beat anybody.” I hope this carries over and is in the new guy’s blood. Screening to get players open. Not clear out and dribble the ball while 4 players stand and watch until the dribbler throws up a prayer.

And box out. TCU and Arizona never boxed out. It was a pitiful exhibition of basketball in a tournament that has shown better caliber of ball than the previous few. IMO.
I stand corrected on Sampson. My bad. Thanks for letting me know.

You’re pretty spot on with the rest of it too.

He was born in NC. Grew up in the area and played his college ball there. Probably had to move around to get the best opportunity and cast a much wider net for an opportunity back then. Especially for a black coach with head coaching aspirations 30 years ago.

The pay could be the same if not more. If it worked, he would be a hero living out his final years where it all started. If it didn’t work, it would still be his last stop regardless.

He has a great program but you can’t compare the AAC to the SEC. Houston will be in the Big 12 in 2023. Im not sure if he will be able to continue that success with Houston going up against bigger fish night in and night out.

He's 66. His entire family- including grandkids live in Houston. His son, who is an assistant coach there, played and graduated from Oklahoma. His daughter in law is an assistant on the women's team at Houston and is a Texas native.

Leaving a dang good program at Houston for a South Carolina would lead everyone with common sense to think he had lost his mind- and that's what it would take.

So sick of this social justice warrior black white crap. Take it to another board please. I am pleased with our hire and look forward to recruiting season.

He's 66. His entire family- including grandkids live in Houston. His son, who is an assistant coach there, played and graduated from Oklahoma. His daughter in law is an assistant on the women's team at Houston and is a Texas native.

Leaving a dang good program at Houston for a South Carolina would lead everyone with common sense to think he had lost his mind- and that's what it would take.
Was not aware of the personal ties to the Texas area other than knowing he coached at Oklahoma and coached his son there. He’s literally zig zagged this country from NC to Washington to Indiana to Texas. I’m happy to hear it sounds like he has been able to stay close to family in his later years.

I wouldn’t say that it would be insane for a coach to leave Houston for South Carolina though for a variety of reasons. Houston does pay about what we paid Frank. So basically it would boil down to a coach getting paid well, wanting to be in the SEC and likely being from this area or having a desire to be here. Once Houston joins the Big 12 I’m not sure if this will be considered a step up, but as long as they are in the AAC it is.

I don’t get it when folks say “We need a local guy that knows the area.” That is not a determining factor in the equation for success. At all. A good coach can make it happen most anywhere a university gives him support and a bad coach can’t make it happen no matter where he is.

Dean Smith came out of Kansas.
Mike Krzyzewski came out of Chicago and Army.
Bobby Knight came out of Ohio.
John Wooden was from Indiana and played at Purdue.
Kelvin Sampson is out of Laurinburg and went to college in NC, I think, and has been in about every geographical location in the country.
Tubby Smith is from Maryland and has coached successfully at 7-8 different colleges.
Rick Pitino is from NYC.
Norm Sloan was out of Indiana.
Bo Ryan is from either Pennsylvania or Ohio. I think.
Jim Valvano was from NYC and when he came to NC State many said he’ll never get it done here.
Frank McGuire and Bobby Cremins are from NYC.
Rick Barnes is from Hickory and played at LR.
Billy Donovan is out of NY, played at Providence and won 2 at Florida.
We could go on and on.

Coaches that went back to their local area and found success: Jay Wright at Villanova, Tom Izzo, Buzz Williams at Tex A&M, Mike Young, maybe Mike Woodson (still early but I think he’ll get it done) and I’m sure many more.

Coaches who went back to their school or area and struggled: Patrick Ewing, who else?

“Going back home to coach” don’t mean much, and if you love your home area you are taking a chance of everybody turning on you if you fail.

“Truly I tell you, no prophet is accepted in his hometown.” Book of Luke. ( Totally out of context - I know)

No, that's not what is being said. For far too long being black immediately makes you less qualified in this state, No matter your education and/or experience. Lamont Paris has all of the credentials. We couldn't ask for a more qualified candidate. So, why are so many disappointed or underwhelmed with the hire? One can only guess, but we have an idea.
Who is the "we" that you refer to?

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Certainly, the way to combat racism is to be more racist in the other direction. Makes sense. I believe that if he comes to Carolina and wins he will be praised, if not he will not. What about Kingston? If he were black, would those folks calling for his resignation be racist? I have a feeling some would say yes. I believe a racist is a racist, no matter the color of their skin.

I don’t get it when folks say “We need a local guy that knows the area.” That is not a determining factor in the equation for success. At all. A good coach can make it happen most anywhere a university gives him support and a bad coach can’t make it happen no matter where he is.

Kelvin Sampson is out of Laurinburg and went to college in NC, I think, and has been in about every geographical location in the country.
Tubby Smith is from Maryland and has coached successfully at 7-8 different colleges.
Rick Pitino is from NYC.
Jim Valvano was from NYC and when he came to NC State many said he’ll never get it done here.
We could go on and on.

Coaches that went back to their local area and found success: Jay Wright at Villanova, Tom Izzo, Buzz Williams at Tex A&M, Mike Young, maybe Mike Woodson (still early but I think he’ll get it done) and I’m sure many more.

Coaches who went back to their school or area and struggled: Patrick Ewing, who else?

“Going back home to coach” don’t mean much, and if you love your home area you are taking a chance of everybody turning on you if you fail.

“Truly I tell you, no prophet is accepted in his hometown.” Book of Luke. ( Totally out of context - I know)
Good post. A good coach is a good coach. You'll want to grab a few guys in-state here and there for sure but I don't care where the guys come from - states or overseas - if you can coach them then you can coach them.
In a state with a smaller population like ours you have to rely on outside talent in all major sports.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach

Rick Pitino is from NYC.
We could go on and on.

Certainly competence is the #1 factor. You make a lot of good points here. It does seem like a lot of the great ones end up at a really good school in their region, but there are exceptions.

I think with as bad as we’ve been, we do need someone that can seal the border. For a state as small as ours, we’ve had some decent basketball talent but it always seems to leave for greener pastures.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach

Rick Pitino is from NYC.
We could go on and on.

It's over IMO. Lamont Paris is our coach and we move forward. However, I think the South Carolina job has special challenges that a local voice could have helped with. However, I don't think that is so important that we hand the job to someone with no head coaching experience. I don't think just a good coach could make it happen in our atmosphere. Just looking at the last 30 year history of high school basketball here, high level local prospects have found every reason to avoid us. From going to the NBA to going to competing programs in the ACC or SEC. It didn't matter. The last time we landed a top local recruit was Dozier and we had major help in that being a legacy recruit with his Dad and Uncle. Some mention Sindarius, but he didn't have the big-time offers that he wanted. So he chose us. After that, you probably have to go back to Rolando Howell. So, we give Paris a chance. You will probably know by Year 3 if he is worth it. If he is not the answer, we move forward. It's not like we had this successful program that we need to protect.

I am pulling for the new coach because he is a Gamecock. But I hope he is not given a 7-8 year contract or have his contract extended after a good year. Let all coaches know that if we do good, we’ll extend a little bit, just relax and coach. I’ll guarantee you the Kentucky fans are pissed that Calipari got a lifetime contract. How stupid is that? And these ridiculous buyout have to cease.

I am pulling for the new coach because he is a Gamecock. But I hope he is not given a 7-8 year contract or have his contract extended after a good year. Let all coaches know that if we do good, we’ll extend a little bit, just relax and coach. I’ll guarantee you the Kentucky fans are pissed that Calipari got a lifetime contract. How stupid is that? And these ridiculous buyout have to cease.

Agree. That hopefully won't happen again. There were lessons from the Will Muschamp experience which should carry over.

Like most, I wanted McKie. I didn't care for Muschamp either, but I still supported for the team and hoped for the best. I will do that this time as well. Still our team, and our student athletes.

Last edited:
Reactions: taiwancock
I can at least go in the barbershop now with my South Carolina hoodie and not get blasted about how South Carolina has never hired a Black basketball coach and everybody in the country has done that at least once.
Adcoop, in new twitter video they have a few seconds talk with one of the barber shops.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT