ADVERTISEMENT

According to this it's down to 3

What I've been told by someone I trust completely (and who would know) is that

Gates was actually Ray's choice. They talked but he was not offered and he quickly moved on - like immediately. Don't know why he wasn't offered- seems safe to assume we were intent on interviewing a few folks - which you really don't do at that level when you know who you want. But that was a screw up.

Then everything else was a domino.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
What I've been told by someone I trust completely (and who would know) is that

Gates was actually Ray's choice. They talked but he was not offered and he quickly moved on - like immediately. Don't know why he wasn't offered- seems safe to assume we were intent on interviewing a few folks - which you really don't do at that level when you know who you want. But that was a screw up.

Then everything else was a domino.
Gates would've have been a homerun hire as well.

Well lets dive into the facts.
1. I just pointed out the historical significance of the hire and it seemed to have rubbed you the wrong way. I'm sorry this didn't go the way you thought it would. It's something you're going to have to get used to....times are changing. This is a great progressive hire for My Alma Mater. Great Job Tanner.
2. A lot of the issues here have to do with him being black. The only reason you supported BJ Mckie is because coaches you wanted turned us down.... which is often the case with most of our Men's sports programs and we have to settle for lesser candidates....(See Darrin Horn, Sparky Woods, Brad Scott, Dave Odom and a host of others.) So, you are more comfortable with the black guy you think you know.
3. What top recruit has ever burned up Twitter about going to play basketball at Carolina? I want names and not generic statements as well. Why should Paris be held to a different standard?
4. The new MBB coach last name is Paris. What the heck does that have to do with Muschamp and Kingston?
5. Other than BJ McKie, what other candidate had ties to the area?
1. “Historical significance” won’t mean crap if he’s fired. Mid major coaches coming to South Carolina have a poor track record. I don’t care if we hire a white, black, homosexual, etc… if he wins. I think the ones that have been in on the political chats know that about me. Hiring a black coach doesn’t mean it’s a great hire. That’s about as bad a statement as you can make. You’re seriously just happy we hired a black coach without any real look as to if it’s a good fit. There was a thread on here about the St Peters coach. He would be a better fit than Paris.
2. Complete bull $hit. James Jones is black and has 20 times the resume this guy does. Tommy Ammacker too. I don’t know those black guys personally, I just know they can coach and have a resume to back it up.
3. You’re the one that threw out a bull shit statement like “recruits are burning up Twitter to come to Carolina” not me. I knew to be skeptical of it. Based on the fact you can’t name one recruit talking about coming here after saying it just reinforces this is BS.
4. What does Paris have to do with Horn and Kingston. Not their skin color or last name. But what they do have in common are mid major coaches that likely all 3 will end up well over their head at South Carolina.
5. Gregg Marshall and Bob Richey would have had ties, but they didn’t interview one and didn’t hire the other. Just because Ray Tanner doesn’t interview guys with ties to the state doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Richey is 5-3 against your boy. All of those losses coming this year and you know one was a damn fluke.

If someone on this thread wanted a black coach with a strong resume, the real name to go after would have been Kelvin Sampson. Born in North Carolina and doing a heck of a job at Houston and has a hall of fame resume. Certainly we could offer a more attractive package than Houston. But we also don’t have the balls in the current administration to pull off a hire such as this.

1. “Historical significance” won’t mean crap if he’s fired. Mid major coaches coming to South Carolina have a poor track record. I don’t care if we hire a white, black, homosexual, etc… if he wins. I think the ones that have been in on the political chats know that about me. Hiring a black coach doesn’t mean it’s a great hire. That’s about as bad a statement as you can make. You’re seriously just happy we hired a black coach without any real look as to if it’s a good fit. There was a thread on here about the St Peters coach. He would be a better fit than Paris.
2. Complete bull $hit. James Jones is black and has 20 times the resume this guy does. Tommy Ammacker too. I don’t know those black guys personally, I just know they can coach and have a resume to back it up.
3. You’re the one that threw out a bull shit statement like “recruits are burning up Twitter to come to Carolina” not me. I knew to be skeptical of it. Based on the fact you can’t name one recruit talking about coming here after saying it just reinforces this is BS.
4. What does Paris have to do with Horn and Kingston. Not their skin color or last name. But what they do have in common are mid major coaches that likely all 3 will end up well over their head at South Carolina.
5. Gregg Marshall and Bob Richey would have had ties, but they didn’t interview one and didn’t hire the other. Just because Ray Tanner doesn’t interview guys with ties to the state doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Richey is 5-3 against your boy. All of those losses coming this year and you know one was a damn fluke.
1. Aren't majority of the coaches fired? I mean a few retire, but the majority are fired at some point.
2. Why were they not interviewed? Our fanbase has no idea just how our program is viewed by the majority of America. Outside of WBB and Equestrian teams, We do not get much respect and only a select few wish to deal with this unrealistic fanbase.
3. I never said one word about Twitter. I said," we just landed on a lot of top recruits in the area due to this hire." This hire has opened some eyes and shut a a lot of mouths because it flies in the face of many negative recruiting tactics that have been used against us for years. Contrary to popular beliefs of this board, we are not seen as a progressive university. Hence my use to the term " Good Ol'boy".
4. Paris is neither of those men nor has he benefitted from the certain privileges awarded to them due to a certain characteristic. Everything this man has, he has earned. He is well respected and deserves our support.
5. Gregg Marshall and Bob Richey weren't candidates and for good reason. If I recall correctly, wasn't Marshall ran out of Wichita State due to some "let us just say, questionable behavior"? And we passed on him for good reason. And Bob Richey coaches at Furman, that's a mid-major as well, at least it was the last time I checked. Paris sure whopped your boys behind this year3 times and earned a P5 job. I know it's tough for some of you, but you will either get on board or go cheer for some other school...Either way....Go Gamecock!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: adcoop
One thing we don't know is how these guys interviewed. You don't just hand someone a job based off of wins, losses and a resume. Now that the smoke has cleared somewhat and I have had some time to think about it, I don't see why you guys are that upset. Paris coached under Bo Ryan and one thing I sensed from watching Ryan's teams is that he wouldn't have slackers on his staff. Wisconsin didn't play the most exciting brand of basketball, but they were always prepared and their players developed over time. Sort of reminds of Virginia. If we could have that sort of success, are you telling me you are going to turn it down even if it is not the most exciting? Paris was there when they went to back-to-back Final Fours. That's a standout portion of any resume even if he was an assistant. From there, his Chattanooga teams gradually got better to the point that they were champions by the end of a recruiting cycle. The guy has been a head coach for five years. What else could he have done in that time? He was not the initial pick in my head. However, Boynton was unattainable and I think BJ was just an emotional choice of many because he was homegrown. In a way, I am sort of relieved for BJ and the program. There is going to be an enormous spotlight on our coach as the first African-American men's basketball coach. I don't think anyone would want someone in that position if they are not ready. If BJ continues to work, he will get his opportunity. Maybe Wake can make a tournament run or two in the upcoming years which would propel him into a head coaching job and he can go from there.

Last edited:
1. Aren't majority of the coaches fired? I mean a few retire, but the majority are fired at some point.
2. Why were they not interviewed? Our fanbase has no idea just how our program is viewed by the majority of America. Outside of WBB and Equestrian teams, We do not get much respect and only a select few wish to deal with this unrealistic fanbase.
3. I never said one word about Twitter. I said," we just landed on a lot of top recruits in the area due to this hire." This hire has opened some eyes and shut a a lot of mouths because it flies in the face of many negative recruiting tactics that have been used against us for years. Contrary to popular beliefs of this board, we are not seen as a progressive university. Hence my use to the term " Good Ol'boy".
4. Paris is neither of those men nor has he had the certain privileges awarded to them due to a certain characteristic. Everything this man has, he has earned. He is well respected and deserves our support.
5. Gregg Marshall and Bob Richey weren't candidates and for good reason. If I recall correctly, wasn't Marshall ran out of Wichita State due to some "let us just say, questionable behavior"? And we passed on him for good reason. And Bob Richey coaches at Furman, that's a mid-major as well, at least it was the last time I checked. Paris sure whopped your boys behind this year3 times and earned a P5 job. I know it's tough for some of you, but you will either get on board or go cheer for some other school...Either way....Go Gamecock!!!!
You're preaching, but I am not sure this is the choir that will accept it. It's not the overwhelming homerun hire that many were seeking. However, we are South Carolina. We are not in a position to hit home runs now. Let's put together a rally starting with a walk, a single or two and build it up from there.

Reactions: Platinumspur
Would have preferred BJ but water under the bridge. Just like Beamer, let's see what Paris can do.

Comes across as a good guy in interviews. Safe to say we can remove the "R" rating sticker off of the Colonial Center doors.

One thing we don't know is how these guys interviewed. You don't just hand someone a job based off of wins, losses and a resume. Now that the smoke has cleared somewhat and I have had some time to think about it, I don't see why you guys are that upset. Paris coached under Bo Ryan and one thing I sensed from watching Ryan's teams is that he wouldn't have slackers on his staff. Wisconsin didn't play the most exciting brand of basketball, but they were always prepared and their players developed over time. Sort of reminds of Virginia. If we could have that sort of success, are you telling me you are going to turn it down even if it is not the most exciting? Paris was there when they went to back-to-back Final Fours. That's a standout portion of any resume even if he was an assistant. From there, his Chattanooga teams gradually got better to the point that they were champions by the end of a recruiting cycle. The guy has been a head coach for five years. What else could he have done in that time? He was not the initial pick in my head. However, Boynton was unattainable and I think BJ was just an emotional choice of many because he was homegrown. In a way, I am sort of relieved for BJ and the program. There is going to be an enormous spotlight on our coach as the first African-American men's basketball coach. I don't think anyone would want someone in that position if they are not ready. If BJ continues to work, he will get his opportunity. Maybe Wake can make a tournament run or two in the upcoming years which would propel him into a head coaching job and he can go from there.
You know enough about basketball to know it’s not as easy to hire an assistant of a successful head coach and just sit back and let the wins roll in. Fogler coached under Dean Smith and with Roy Williams. Fogler had some success but he ran into some trouble here too.

Would I turn down Bo Ryan or Tony Bennett type success here? Of course not, but you’re also projecting success that is a long way from here.

You are right that BJ would have had a bigger spotlight on him. Unfortunately if he goes on to that success, it will be another example of one we could have pulled the trigger on early but bc we hesitated someone else benefitted from what we could not or would not see.

4. Paris is neither of those men nor has he benefitted from the certain privileges awarded to them due to a certain characteristic. Everything this man has, he has earned. He is well respected and deserves our support.
1. Well since a lot of coaches are fired, let’s just roll the dice all the time. I’m sure Sylvester Croom changed Miss State football for the better. Oliver Purnell to Clemsux (to be fair he at least made the tournament regularly). Anthony Grant was crushing it at Alabama. Kentucky is sure suffering from not having a black head coach. It’s not about race. You’re just making it that way.

I do have an idea of what you’re getting at. You want me to believe this is 1955 and the “good ol boys” are preventing any black people from having positions of authority at USC. That’s complete bull crap and if you want to spread it in your community go right ahead. Our most prominent head coach of any program is black. We have had coordinators for quite some time that are black. Black enrollment at usc is higher than most state schools.

Congrats to your boy on finding the only Power 5 AD dumb enough to hire him at this point. It only took a Kansas transfer and an under the radar stud falling in his lap to get him over the top against Richey….and a 50 foot prayer at the buzzer in the last meeting

Last edited:
1. Well since a lot of coaches are fired, let’s just roll the dice all the time. I’m sure Sylvester Croom changed Miss State football for the better. Oliver Purnell to Clemsux (to be fair he at least made the tournament regularly). Anthony Grant was crushing it at Alabama. Kentucky is sure suffering from not having a black head coach. It’s not about race. You’re just making it that way.

I do have an idea of what you’re getting at. You want me to believe this is 1955 and the “good ol boys” are preventing any black people from having positions of authority at USC. That’s complete bull crap and if you want to spread it in your community go right ahead. Our most prominent head coach of any program is black. We have had coordinators for quite some time that are black. Black enrollment at usc is higher than most state schools.

Congrats to your boy on finding the only Power 5 AD dumb enough to hire him at this point. It only took a Kansas transfer and an under the radar stud falling in his lap to get him over the top against Richey.
Go Gamecocks !!!

Congrats to your boy on finding the only Power 5 AD dumb enough to hire him at this point. It only took a Kansas transfer and an under the radar stud falling in his lap to get him over the top against Richey.

We have an national image problem and not sure how that gets turned around.

My brother-in-law is a USC grad owns a video production company in Atlanta. He's done independent work for ESPN, NBC, PGA & NFL Networks along with others for many years. He's also close with many of the reporters/talent and says he's constantly ribbed about the Gamecocks. "Where coaches go to die" is one of the regular phrases from Scott Van Pelt and Chris Fowler.

We saw that same thing from ESPN's Corso on camera when Spurrier took the job. Seems silly but this kind of stuff matters alot in terms of sentiment and trying to hire top coaches. Not sure why we get targeted more than others, but memes can be powerful.

Last edited:

Congrats to your boy on finding the only Power 5 AD dumb enough to hire him at this point. It only took a Kansas transfer and an under the radar stud falling in his lap to get him over the top against Richey….and a 50 foot prayer at the buzzer in the last meeting
You're missing that Kentucky had a black coach 25 years ago in Tubby Smith and he won a National Championship. What a lot of guys are not seeing in these coaching hires is that it is about a PR battle more than race. What infuriates me is that we always allow Clemson to win the PR battle when it comes to sports. Our Black alumni base dwarfs Clemson's, but they constantly win the PR battle when it comes to them either hiring a minority coach first or have a minority at a position like QB that excels. As a result, the majority of the Black community does what? Favor Clemson over us the majority of the time. Our Black Alumni base just sake our heads and say how do we keep allowing Clemson to get away with this. You think Pastor Darrell Jackson's son is some aberration that we can just work around? No, that is train of thought in the Black community when it comes to USC and when people in our alumni base try to talk to you, it's usually dismissed as just us whining about race. So, we just sit back watch us beat our heads up against the wall. It's not as bad with the football program, because our success during Spurrier gave us a brief national profile. However, when it comes to the basketball program, all we (Black Alumni) would ever hear is South Carolina will never hire a Black basketball coach and everyone in the country has done that. Don't think that hurt us P.R. wise or in recruiting? Yes, it does. At least now, our Black alumni base will have something to fight these forces. Before, we were just out there fighting with our hands and while everyone else had weapons.

We have an national image problem and not sure how that gets turned around.

My brother-in-law is a USC grad owns a video production company in Atlanta. He's done independent work for ESPN, NBC, PGA & NFL Networks along with others for many years. He's also close with many of the reporters/talent and says he's constantly ribbed about the Gamecocks. "Where coaches go to die" is one of the regular phrases from Scott Van Pelt and Chris Fowler.

We saw that same thing from ESPN's Corso on camera when Spurrier took the job. Seems silly but this kind of stuff matters alot in terms of sentiment and trying to hire top coaches. Not sure why we get targeted more than others, but memes can be powerful.
Bingo. Worked in North Carolina for several years and got the same type of stuff.

Did someone just say they can now wear a school hoodie into the barber shop because we hired a black coach? And yall are arguing with a person with that reasoning?

Did someone just say they can now wear a school hoodie into the barber shop because we hired a black coach? And yall are arguing with a person with that reasoning?
Reasoning? I said I could wear my hoodie now without getting blasted about how racist USC is. I am not saying that is true. I am saying that is the reality I go through. You have no idea what Black alumni of USC go through. We live in different worlds. You would probably think that world is insane, but it's out there and it greatly affects our success or lack thereof when it comes to the big revenue sports of football and basketball.

Last edited:
...but we hired Darrin Horn and we gave him a chance. From what was left, I put Paris up there with all of them. You could pick apart Richey the same way if we went in that direction. You could pick apart Medved. I saw a post above criticizing the one-on-one play of Chattanooga against Illinois. However, Chris Jans did the same thing with Teddy Allen at New Mexico State and rode it to the Mississippi State job. I am not stuck on one style of play as long as you win. Trust me, South Carolina will get something out of this. I can at least go in the barbershop now with my South Carolina hoodie and not get blasted about how South Carolina has never hired a Black basketball coach and everybody in the country has done that at least once. See, I have take on the brunt of that type of stuff. Most of you guys don't.
So, regardless of his credentials it makes you feel better that we hired a black guy to coach our team?
I mean. If we’re just hiring a guy because he’s black, give me the black guy who laid it on the line for the school as a player. If being a coach and being black are 1a and 1b of the qualifications then sign me up for McKie.
you’re right though, most of us don’t deal with that. We can’t wear our gamecock gear regardless of the color of the coach because all our mens sports suck!

So, regardless of his credentials it makes you feel better that we hired a black guy to coach our team?
I mean. If we’re just hiring a guy because he’s black, give me the black guy who laid it on the line for the school as a player. If being a coach and being black are 1a and 1b of the qualifications then sign me up for McKie.
you’re right though, most of us don’t deal with that. We can’t wear our gamecock gear regardless of the color of the coach because all our mens sports suck!
You are totally missing the point, and as I said in an earlier post, making it about race in a vacuum. We are in competition with rival schools in our conference and across the country. It's about timing, the P.R. battle, and getting the right guy whatever race he may be. The downside of the P.R. battle is that we had never had a Black coach in Men's Basketball and rarely even interviewed a candidate for the position. Alternative, the only other program in the conference that had never hired a black coach was Florida. Some have had multiple black coaches. You don't think that fact wasn't used to negatively recruit against us or discussed amongst the community. In many of my discussions about our program, that was the first issue that came up. You always want to get the best coach no matter the race. However, this program had some issues that it needed to get past and now we can focus on the business of winning ballgames. That part of history is behind us. I would have supported B.J. I would have supported Matt McMahon or any other coach as the choice. However, acknowledging that we have a P.R. issue that exists is just being honest.

Meh. Guess we'll see how it works out. Men's college hoops is a strange world. Look at UGA. They can pull in talent and coaches at will and have struggled forever.

Let's give Paris a chance. Our inability to pull in a big name has nothing to do with him. Maybe he'll light it up. Anyone's guess.

Remember when ESPN praised us when we had a black OC and DC under Muschamp? Why isolate people and coaches down to just race? I see character and integrity above all. If he is a good person and a good coach then who cares. I find it racist when people bring race into the conversation whether you are the same color or not. Hope he does well here. But hey I guess I can go along with finally not being considered a racist university for never having a black basketball coach.

You are totally missing the point, and as I said in an earlier post, making it about race in a vacuum. We are in competition with rival schools in our conference and across the country. It's about timing, the P.R. battle, and getting the right guy whatever race he may be. The downside of the P.R. battle is that we had never had a Black coach in Men's Basketball and rarely even interviewed a candidate for the position. Alternative, the only other program in the conference that had never hired a black coach was Florida. Some have had multiple black coaches. You don't think that fact wasn't used to negatively recruit against us or discussed amongst the community. In many of my discussions about our program, that was the first issue that came up. You always want to get the best coach no matter the race. However, this program had some issues that it needed to get past and now we can focus on the business of winning ballgames. That part of history is behind us. I would have supported B.J. I would have supported Matt McMahon or any other coach as the choice. However, acknowledging that we have a P.R. issue that exists is just being honest.
We only have a Pr issue because we are in the south. There are PLeNTY of other D1 programs that have never had black head coaches.
our issue isn’t black or white it’s that we’ve stunk in major mens sports since 2013 with the exception of a hot streak in spring of 17. I couldn’t care less what color a coach’s skin is. Makes zero difference to me. I care about two things. Coaches developing talent in order to win and coaches developing young players into productive adults who will be a part of society as they leave school. If his skin was blue and he or she could do those two things have at it.

We only have a Pr issue because we are in the south. There are PLeNTY of other D1 programs that have never had black head coaches.
our issue isn’t black or white it’s that we’ve stunk in major mens sports since 2013 with the exception of a hot streak in spring of 17. I couldn’t care less what color a coach’s skin is. Makes zero difference to me. I care about two things. Coaches developing talent in order to win and coaches developing young players into productive adults who will be a part of society as they leave school. If his skin was blue and he or she could do those two things have at it.
The key word in your post is "you". Doesn't mean that a lot of other people out there don't care about that. I hate to put my 86 year old father in this for people to go at him. However, you know what he said when I told him who the choice was yesterday? "Bout Damn Time". My sister and father are really emotionally invested into the women's program. Men's program, not so much. It's unfortunate some of the reasons behind that, but I think you can surmise where I am going. One of the reasons why I read and post on boards like this one is that it gives me a window into how others think. It's educational. Unfortunately, most only focus on how we and the selected few in our bubble thinks. That's why many are surprised when things like this are mentioned.

Remember when ESPN praised us when we had a black OC and DC under Muschamp? Why isolate people and coaches down to just race? I see character and integrity above all. If he is a good person and a good coach then who cares. I find it racist when people bring race into the conversation whether you are the same color or not. Hope he does well here. But hey I guess I can go along with finally not being considered a racist university for never having a black basketball coach.
Go Gamecocks!!!!

The key word in your post is "you". Doesn't mean that a lot of other people out there don't care about that. I hate to put my 86 year old father in this for people to go at him. However, you know what he said when I told him who the choice was yesterday? "Bout Damn Time". My sister and father are really emotionally invested into the women's program. Men's program, not so much. It's unfortunate some of the reasons behind that, but I think you can surmise where I am going. One of the reasons why I read and post on boards like this one is that it gives me a window into how others think. It's educational. Unfortunately, most only focus on how we and the selected few in our bubble thinks. That's why many are surprised when things like this are mentioned.
So by that logic, I wouldn’t be invested emotionally in our womens program. It’s kind of like when I read LinkedIn. I see someone touting their race as the determining factor for a group. Example. “Young black successful doctors”. And without cease I see other African Americans praising that. But, just to play devils advocate. Imagine if I created a group titled “young successful white men”. My God the outrage there would be. This whole thing regarding race is a double edged sword. In my opinion we should focus a hell of a lot less on color of skin and a lot more on character and proven track record. If it takes a black coach to win I’m good with that. But I also support the programs regardless. I for one would’ve loved to have seen us pursue Charlie Strong when we went after Muschamp. Not because he’s black. But because he’s a great guy with high character.

Reactions: Neanderthal
Man y’all are getting into the deep end here.
The hire is done - reality is none of us sat in on interviews and conversations. Maybe not the big splash I was hoping for but then again we rarely do the big splash hire.
I think there is good potential here…nothing is guaranteed in the world of sports, we all know that.

No, that's not what is being said. For far too long being black immediately makes you less qualified in this state, No matter your education and/or experience. Lamont Paris has all of the credentials. We couldn't ask for a more qualified candidate. So, why are so many disappointed or underwhelmed with the hire? One can only guess, but we have an idea.

Last edited:
No, that's not what is being said. For far too long being black immediately makes you less qualified in this state, No matter your education and/or experience. Lamont Paris has all of the credentials. We couldn't ask for a more qualified candidate. So, why are so many disappointed or underwhelmed with the hire? One can only guess, but we have an idea.
Ok now I’m calling bull on this. We couldn’t ask for “a more qualified” candidate and then insinuating with race. I gave you some black coaches with a much better resume. If we were hiring Kelvin Sampson I’d be doing cartwheels right now.

If you’re perfectly honest, our last coach had a better resume before he set foot on this campus. He has a better resume even after ten years with one NCAA appearance. So this is a step down and hoping for the best. It doesn’t have a thing to do with race.

Even many former black Gamecock basketball players have said this hire would be “difficult to process.” Guys like JoJo English, Larry Davis and Melvin Watson that are black head coaches in this state.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Well I for one never said I was disappointed or dissatisfied with the hire. I don’t know enough about him or his coaching track record to have an opinion. I was simply responding to a statement made in regards to the color of his skin implying him to be a good candidate. I understood full well the racial history of our nation and our state. But hiring someone on the basis of the color of their skin is the complete opposite wrong of not doing so. They’re both wrong.
For the record I don’t think that’s what happened here.

And that is precisely what adcoop said. He could walk into the barbershop now with pride because we now have a black head coach. My reading comprehension is pretty damn good. And that’s exactly what he said.

You're missing that Kentucky had a black coach 25 years ago in Tubby Smith and he won a National Championship. What a lot of guys are not seeing in these coaching hires is that it is about a PR battle more than race. What infuriates me is that we always allow Clemson to win the PR battle when it comes to sports. Our Black alumni base dwarfs Clemson's, but they constantly win the PR battle when it comes to them either hiring a minority coach first or have a minority at a position like QB that excels. As a result, the majority of the Black community does what? Favor Clemson over us the majority of the time. Our Black Alumni base just sake our heads and say how do we keep allowing Clemson to get away with this. You think Pastor Darrell Jackson's son is some aberration that we can just work around? No, that is train of thought in the Black community when it comes to USC and when people in our alumni base try to talk to you, it's usually dismissed as just us whining about race. So, we just sit back watch us beat our heads up against the wall. It's not as bad with the football program, because our success during Spurrier gave us a brief national profile. However, when it comes to the basketball program, all we (Black Alumni) would ever hear is South Carolina will never hire a Black basketball coach and everyone in the country has done that. Don't think that hurt us P.R. wise or in recruiting? Yes, it does. At least now, our Black alumni base will have something to fight these forces. Before, we were just out there fighting with our hands and while everyone else had weapons.
Yep and Tubby once sat on a South Carolina bench. Long before Tubby got a chance at a ring, he got an opportunity at the University of South Carolina.

Now you know I respect you as a poster and I think that respect goes both ways. I’ll be the first to acknowledge our University (that we both love) has fallen short in PR in a variety of ways.

I think it’s a shame that it seems like guys have to die or be #1 in the country to get their number retired around here. Stephon Gilmore may very well get a bust in Canton before his number is retired around here. What sense does that make? He started from play one. Led us to an SEC East title. Has multiple Super Bowls and for a while was considered the best corner in all of football. Just one example that comes to mind.

Some of this is just bad information. How did we ever lose local guys to Ole Miss? Are black athletes not aware the nickname Rebels is a nod to their Confederate past? The colors? The mascot? The old film of Confederate flags waving at the games? And somehow the black community thinks things are worse at South Carolina? That’s where I feel like the University and community could do a better job in educating who is providing more and less opportunities for African Americans.

I know this talk can be uncomfortable for some but I’m willing to have it. It’s important and worthwhile. We all bleed garnet and black on the inside, but on the outside it’s important to know that African Americans are given tons of opportunities at the USC compared to a lot of state schools. I keep using this phrase bc it’s never going to mirror a HBCU.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Yes, black athletes are aware what the rebel means with Ol' Miss. I do not see many South Carolina recruits born in this state shunning Carolina for Ol'Miss. I do remember the Confederate flag flying high at one of our College Game Day with ESPN several years ago. It was waving so high and hard they had to move the set to the Horse Shoe. Things are not worse at South Carolina, it's just the same. There is a disconnect between the Black community and Carolina, it's always been that way. It's time to change that and this hire will go along way in helping to change that narrative.

There is a disconnect between the Black community and Carolina, it's always been that way. It's time to change that and this hire will go along way in helping to change that narrative.

This is true - regardless of the reasons - fair or unfair (and in some cases it's unfair). I think that is quickly changing but I have heard this too.

Reactions: rogue cock
If someone on this thread wanted a black coach with a strong resume, the real name to go after would have been Kelvin Sampson. Born in North Carolina and doing a heck of a job at Houston and has a hall of fame resume. Certainly we could offer a more attractive package than Houston. But we also don’t have the balls in the current administration to pull off a hire such as this.

That would be the dumbest move in the world for Sampson to leave Houston for South Carolina.

I mean I'm all for aiming high but come on- the guy has a great program there- makes 3+ million and doesn't really have to leave the city to recruit at a high level.

People would think he had lost his mind if he left there for South Carolina.

Gives other people a window into how people like you think too. I don’t agree with it. I agree with right and wrong. Wins and losses. Not skin color. Who are the racists here?

Here is the skinny.... If a mens basketball coach wins consistently at USC and has us competing with the name school (yes... Singular) and has us going to the big dance more often than not the fans will support him if he is green with a foot growing out of the top of his head. Race ain't the issue.. Wins is!

Welcome Coach Paris!!!

That would be the dumbest move in the world for Sampson to leave Houston for South Carolina.

I mean I'm all for aiming high but come on- the guy has a great program there- makes 3+ million and doesn't really have to leave the city to recruit at a high level.

And UH has plenty of money..

Yes, black athletes are aware what the rebel means with Ol' Miss. I do not see many South Carolina recruits born in this state shunning Carolina for Ol'Miss. I do remember the Confederate flag flying high at one of our College Game Day with ESPN several years ago. It was waving so high and hard they had to move the set to the Horse Shoe. Things are not worse at South Carolina, it's just the same. There is a disconnect between the Black community and Carolina, it's always been that way. It's time to change that and this hire will go along way in helping to change that narrative.
Devontae Shuler
Murphy Holloway

That’s two major D1 players in Columbia that literally shunned South Carolina for Ole Miss.

I do wish that those with influence in the black community can see the difference between a racist fan flying a flag in the background vs the overall culture of a university. It’s a shame the Confederate flag went up in retaliation for the Civil Rights movement. It’s a shame it took the murder of several individuals to remove it from the State House grounds. Having said that, there is a fine line between the state government and a state university.

He was born in NC. Grew up in the area and played his college ball there. Probably had to move around to get the best opportunity and cast a much wider net for an opportunity back then. Especially for a black coach with head coaching aspirations 30 years ago.

The pay could be the same if not more. If it worked, he would be a hero living out his final years where it all started. If it didn’t work, it would still be his last stop regardless.

He has a great program but you can’t compare the AAC to the SEC. Houston will be in the Big 12 in 2023. Im not sure if he will be able to continue that success with Houston going up against bigger fish night in and night out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT