ADVERTISEMENT

All AAA baseball parks to have electronic strike zone this year

Each team could get to challenge one called strike per at-bat using the electronic strike zone, in the same way USTA checks challenged "out" calls. It might have the bonus effect of making plate umps more consistent.
And make the game 3 hours longer than it already is.

Reactions: uscwatson21
I ran across a video on youtube by closecallsports on the BU study claiming 34k missed calls, the accuracy of e-zones and how it was introduced into MLB. It also touches on some of the things the league will say in public yet are believed to say differently behind closed doors if anyone is interested.
What raises my eyebrows is the e-zone accuracy claims. I would certainly hope that has improved over the last three years tho... because it wasnt good.

Last edited:
I ran across a video on youtube by closecallsports on the BU study claiming 34k missed calls, the accuracy of e-zones and how it was introduced into MLB. It also touches on some of the things the league will say in public yet are believed to say differently behind closed doors if anyone is interested.
What raises my eyebrows is the e-zone accuracy claims. I would certainly hope that has improved over the last three years tho... because it wasnt good.
The human variability adds spice to the game. It's part of the jobs of pitchers and hitters to figure out the strike zone.

The human variability adds spice to the game. It's part of the jobs of pitchers and hitters to figure out the strike zone.
A lot of times decisions are made because of those variables. Take away the variables, you take away decisions. Take away decisions and the game becomes diminished.

Reactions: king ward
They shouldn’t have to that’s the point. Taking the human error out is the right thing to do.

It's just such a nonsensical argument he's making. The rules are the rules. Imagine if NFL officials could just determine on a whim that a first down had to be 11 yards or 9 yards. And could make it 11 yards for one team and 9 yards for the other team.

Literally no one would think that was a good thing.

Reactions: 1982cock
It's just such a nonsensical argument he's making. The rules are the rules. Imagine if NFL officials could just determine on a whim that a first down had to be 11 yards or 9 yards. And could make it 11 yards for one team and 9 yards for the other team.

It’s the equivalent of doing away with the chains in football. Leave it up to the refs to guess 10 yards, they should affect the outcome of the game. That’s a good thing.

That’s basically what he is saying which is asinine to me.

It’s the equivalent of doing away with the chains in football. Leave it up to the refs to guess 10 yards, they should affect the outcome of the game. That’s a good thing.

That’s basically what he is saying which is asinine to me.

Perfect. That's an even better analogy.

What a hyperbolic distortion! Worst I've ever seen. But thanks, I enjoyed the comedic relief. 🤣

Give up KW. They just don’t understand baseball

As I've said repeatedly. This is what this is really about. It's an attempt to claim you're a better fan.

That's it. None of you actually believe the umpire is better for the sport than electronic pitch calling.

Give up KW. They just don’t understand baseball
What's ironic is the more I look at this e-zone thing the more I am in favor of it used in a testing phase. They apparently have their own set of problems. I feel pretty confident that if the zone itself is analyzed in an unbiased manner, it will be the umpires that look better than they have been portrayed by many fans, media and players. These umpires have been damaged in part due to an inaccurate box drawn over the plate for the last few years that the announcers portray as gospel and at the same time making umpires look ignorant. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing if any redemption is possible. So bring it on.

Last edited:
What's ironic is the more I look at this e-zone thing the more I am in favor of it used in a testing phase. They apparently have their own set of problems. I feel pretty confident that if the zone itself is analyzed in an unbiased manner, it will be the umpires that look better than they have been portrayed by many fans, media and players. These umpires have been damaged in part due to an inaccurate box drawn over the plate for the last few years that the announcers portray as gospel and at the same time making umpires look ignorant. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing if any redemption is possible. So bring it on.
Never claimed you can keep people from looking at it. They ought to look at it. My beef is with the idea that changing the role of the umpire is desirable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cybercock
Never claimed you can keep people from looking at it. They ought to look at it. My beef is with the idea that changing the role of the umpire is desirable.
[/QUOTE]
I get ya. I really dont know how desirable changing the role is. I know there is a loud minority wanting to take balls and strikes away from umps at the very least. Maybe more. Idk. But I do get this feeling some of the ones that do think the replacement will be less problematic. I'm not sold. We will see.

Was never an alarmist. Just saw a video on AI. This one made me think.
If 1+1=2, therefore mankind is non-essential.

SORRY! Wasn't expecting to be surprised & didn;t look for titles/links ectc.

LOL!!! Just dawned on me, I won't be around when this stuff comes about.
YOU DEAL WITH IT!!! LOL!!!

BUT, it's gonna happen! LOL!!! ... Adios!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bayrooster
Was never an alarmist. Just saw a video on AI. This one made me think.
If 1+1=2, therefore mankind is non-essential.

SORRY! Wasn't expecting to be surprised & didn;t look for titles/links ectc.

LOL!!! Just dawned on me, I won't be around when this stuff comes about.
YOU DEAL WITH IT!!! LOL!!!

BUT, it's gonna happen! LOL!!! ... Adios!
tombstone.jpg

After watching the Chiefs and Bengals last night I can say with 100% certainty that refs affecting the outcomes of games due to bad/incorrect calls does not, in fact, make the game better.

There's as much difference in baseball and football - and the officiating thereof - as there is between tennis and ice hockey.

Seems like the only difference is that tennis, football and hockey fans don't want more bad calls.

Seems like the only difference is that tennis, football and hockey fans don't want more bad calls.
They'll never be satisfied and neither will you. Perhaps the best remedy is for you to cleave to the more "progressive" sports 🤣 and leave the beautiful, sublime game of baseball to those who appreciate its nuances.

Reactions: Cybercock
That's it. None of you actually believe the umpire is better for the sport than electronic pitch calling.
Since the powers-that-be may soon have robots/machines as umpires, I guess it’s only a matter of time before they’ll ditch the rich ball players and build cheaper robots to play the game. Then the next step would be replace these troublesome trash toting fans and replace them with machines to add excitement with synchronized cheering (give it a “game feel”). Just take the TV money and bank it. But then where am I gonna get my dipping’ dots?

Since the powers-that-be may soon have robots/machines as umpires, I guess it’s only a matter of time before they’ll ditch the rich ball players and build cheaper robots to play the game. Then the next step would be replace these troublesome trash toting fans and replace them with machines to add excitement with synchronized cheering (give it a “game feel”). Just take the TV money and bank it. But then where am I gonna get my dipping’ dots?

I think I saw dippin dots being sold recently, but didn’t get close enough to see any signage. Is it finally the “ice cream of now” instead of the future?

This is such a terrible slippery slope fallacy

Getting rid of bad umpire calls let’s the players showcase their talent even more.

Big difference between players and umpires. One actually should determine the outcome of the game. The other should not affect the game at all. Just keep play smooth and by the book.

No idea how someone could still want umpires after that strikeout on Casas. This umpire couldn't even keep track of the count earlier.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT