ADVERTISEMENT

Allowing fans on the field

uofsc

Sep 8, 2003
Anderson, SC
Clemson needs to put an end to allowing fans to come on to the field when the game ends. I dont give a rats ass about tradition, this is not 1958. Someone is going to eventually end up getting hurt really bad. I know it has been going on for decades, I have even done it myself a number of times back in the 70's. I am friends with one security guard who was hospitalized for several days the last time they tore down one of the goal posts, that is when they got the goalposts that can be lowered to the ground. Bottom line, we live in a different world now, and people do not behave the way they did 40-50 years ago. If nothing else, the players,coaching staffs and referees deserve to be safe while on the field. Eventually some drunk dumbass will assault or cut a player, coach or referee and everyone will lose their damn mind about how tragic it is.

Those jackasses will never put a stop to it until it hits them in the pocket book. Or if it costs a team a chance to win a game or tie it up when the fans are all over the field with time left on the clock. Their clock operator is sketchy too, that was as bad as Clemson home cooking as I've ever seen. They really dug deep in the cheating bag last night.

Clemson needs to put an end to allowing fans to come on to the field when the game ends. I dont give a rats ass about tradition, this is not 1958. Someone is going to eventually end up getting hurt really bad. I know it has been going on for decades, I have even done it myself a number of times back in the 70's. I am friends with one security guard who was hospitalized for several days the last time they tore down one of the goal posts, that is when they got the goalposts that can be lowered to the ground. Bottom line, we live in a different world now, and people do not behave the way they did 40-50 years ago. If nothing else, the players,coaching staffs and referees deserve to be safe while on the field. Eventually some drunk dumbass will assault or cut a player, coach or referee and everyone will lose their damn mind about how tragic it is.
You are very correct brother.

I'm too lazy to do the research right now, but didn't UVA storm the field after beating us up there? I seem to recall some fan jumped on Corey Jenkin's back or confronted him in some manner. Maybe its an ACC thing.

I'm just visualizing an opposing player in a bad mood getting bumped by one of those drunk rednecks and proceed to go off on the fan and the press will go off on how it was all the players fault, I could see that happening last night and it would have been viewed as all our fault!

Reactions: PC31 and uofsc
I'm too lazy to do the research right now, but didn't UVA storm the field after beating us up there? I seem to recall some fan jumped on Corey Jenkin's back or confronted him in some manner. Maybe its an ACC thing.

It's a holdover from their Southern Conference days which the ACC seems to mimic quite well, i.e. 10,000* fans in the stadium and 9,999 just want to take a short cut through the playing field to get to their cars.

* examples: the UNC vs NCSU and Duke vs Wake games this past weekend.

Ehh, we've take advantage of going onto their field when we beat them, so stop your belly aching. I actually like the idea of fans being able to take part in a win like that, wish we could do that here.

You obviously lack the ability to differentiate between belly aching and providing security for players, coaches and referees....for that matter even a mouthy fan who might take a helmet to the head from a pissed off player on the losing team. Why dont we just go ahead and allow fans to go in the locker room too. Hell, might as well give them pressbox access while we are at it! Face it, people behave differently than they used to, and changes need to be made to account for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Judson1
Ehh, we've take advantage of going onto their field when we beat them, so stop your belly aching. I actually like the idea of fans being able to take part in a win like that, wish we could do that here.
Don’t necessarily have a problem with it, but they do need to have a 3-5 min buffer to allow opposing players and coaches (and more than likely some of their own players) to get off the field if they choose before they come out of the stands.

Its in the category of "it will take some major event (God forbid something tragic) for it to change".....and when that event happens, and it will, the narrative will be "how could this have been allowed to go on" - I can see it all now clear as day

Don’t necessarily have a problem with it, but they do need to have a 3-5 min buffer to allow opposing players and coaches (and more than likely some of their own players) to get off the field if they choose before they come out of the stands.
This would be a good middle ground....after the alma mater is played or something

You can go on our field. Sign up for a stadium tour, they start 4 hours before every home game and they do some in the offseason too.

I agree with this.

Those jackasses will never put a stop to it until it hits them in the pocket book. Or if it costs a team a chance to win a game or tie it up when the fans are all over the field with time left on the clock. Their clock operator is sketchy too, that was as bad as Clemson home cooking as I've ever seen. They really dug deep in the cheating bag last night.
I thought the NCAA banned the practice so players and fans don't get hurt. Schools get fined I believe.

Love this thread . . . seems to come up every year. The older Carolina fans understand the tradition and what it means. If you don't like it, either don't go down there or quick belly aching . . or don't give up 700+ yards to a freshman quarterback. And by the way, it will never change and never be abolished. And it shouldn't.

Recognize petty when I read it.

Love this thread . . . seems to come up every year. The older Carolina fans understand the tradition and what it means. If you don't like it, either don't go down there or quick belly aching . . or don't give up 700+ yards to a freshman quarterback. And by the way, it will never change and never be abolished. And it shouldn't.

I am "the older Carolina fan"...been out on that field many times from the early 70's and in to the 80's. I live about 20 miles from Clemson and have been going to games there since 1968. My point is that times have changed and "traditions" are changing accordingly. People use to have self respect and would never consider conducting themselves in public the way many do now. Something really bad is going to eventually happen and the liability is going to smack them right between the eyes, and I for one am going to tee-hee my ass off when it does. As far as my personal safety, I will never set foot in that stadium again and they can build a damn fire on the 50 yardline as far as I am concerned. My comments are concerning the safety of the players, coaches and referees that dont have the option of not being there. Clem...sounds like the cow s#!+ is on the INSIDE of your boots! Welcome to FGF

Last edited:

When did it become a tradition to run on to the field with time left on the clock as the other team is lining up to run a play? If your fans don't have the common sense to stay off the field during play then they deserve to get trampled and I hope they do.

Reactions: BigTomE

Again, don’t have a problem with it, but you have to admit it would probably be better to get the opposition off the field first.

You obviously lack the ability to differentiate between belly aching and providing security for players, coaches and referees....for that matter even a mouthy fan who might take a helmet to the head from a pissed off player on the losing team. Why dont we just go ahead and allow fans to go in the locker room too. Hell, might as well give them pressbox access while we are at it! Face it, people behave differently than they used to, and changes need to be made to account for that.

The ole' slippery slope argument. Sure something bad could happen, but it hasn't, so complaining about it after a loss makes it come across as sour grapes.

Last edited:
Reactions: agantt
Dude, it's tradition? When is the last time you heard of major injuries? Did you see aTm storm the field last night after beating LSU? Quit being a puss, let fans enjoy wins even if you dont

The ole' slippery slope argument. Sure something bad could happen, but it hasn't, so complaining about it after a loss makes it come across as sour grapes.

Nothing bad happens until it does. It called "prudence" and "good judgment" to mitigate the possibility of something bad happening in the future.

When did it become a tradition to run on to the field with time left on the clock as the other team is lining up to run a play? If your fans don't have the common sense to stay off the field during play then they deserve to get trampled and I hope they do.
its like when the coaches meet at midfield with time on the clock but not enough time to run another play. Sometimes fans anticipate time ticking off, but they didn't pay attention as the clock was stopped. Either way it is a cool experience for the kids who can get up close to their football idols and get autographs, pictures, high fives or souvenirs like player gloves, chin straps, etc. But I agree, one day some drunk fan will assault a player or coach and end this tradition.

What if the fans had charged onto the field after this game? It's a legitimate question that any responsible administrator should ask.

Kudos to the SEC for not allowing it. We saw how emotions boiled over in the A&M/LSU game. Could have been worse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT