ADVERTISEMENT

Allowing fans on the field

I like the idea of letting fans have a piece of the experience. But it's going to turn ugly at some point. Probably fans of the orange team getting into it with opposing players or coaches. You have to understand fans take it way more seriously than do most of the players.When I was 18-21 years old, this rivalry was only one day a year to me. People didn't say "We did so-and-so" and "Y'all did so-and-so". It has evolved into a year round hate-fest of which a lot of people think their team winning makes them somehow superior. Somewhere along the way fans started thinking they actually did something.

Let's be real here. All we really do is watch players play. Most of 'We" don't do squat except for a minority who are real boosters.

Last edited:
I like the idea of letting fans have a piece of the experience. But it's going to turn ugly at some point. Probably fans of the orange team getting into it with opposing players or coaches. You have to understand fans take it way more seriously than do most of the players.When I was 18-21 years old, this rivalry was only one day a year. People didn't say "We did so-and-so" and "Y'all did so-and-so". It has evolved into a year round hate-fest whee a lot of people think their team winning makes them somehow superior. Somewhere along the way fans started thinking they actually did something.

Let's be real here. All we really do is watch players play. Most of 'We" don't do squat except for a minority who are real boosters.

Yep. Fortunately not all of us have begun to think being a fan is some sort of accomplishment.

I started scratching my head when fans (usually on message boards) started referring to others (often not on message boards) as "casual fans" in a sort of derogatory manner. I'd rather be a casual fan than one living so vicariously through others I lose context and reality.

As for your "somewhere along the way," I think it's partly due to the self esteem movement (everybody's the center of the universe) and partly due to our culture, which markets at folks as if their happiness is all that matters. It stands to reason that "have it your way" culture where "the consumer is always right" would eventually seep into the attitudes fans have toward their teams.

I remember some years back when a college coach (I can't remember who) said fans don't belong on the field because they don't play the game. I think it was after somebody got hurt at UGA, but I don't remember and can't find anything online about it so I could be wrong.

I will say instead of letting fans on field, I think every game should include a time when players should be allowed into the stands to confront those critics who question their performances.

I am "the older Carolina fan"...been out on that field many times from the early 70's and in to the 80's. I live about 20 miles from Clemson and have been going to games there since 1968. My point is that times have changed and "traditions" are changing accordingly. People use to have self respect and would never consider conducting themselves in public the way many do now. Something really bad is going to eventually happen and the liability is going to smack them right between the eyes, and I for one am going to tee-hee my ass off when it does. As far as my personal safety, I will never set foot in that stadium again and they can build a damn fire on the 50 yardline as far as I am concerned. My comments are concerning the safety of the players, coaches and referees that dont have the option of not being there. Clem...sounds like the cow s#!+ is on the INSIDE of your boots! Welcome to FGF
Why are non-fans running on the field to meet at the paw? Fans don't fight each other unless they have girlfriends cheating!

It’s a tradition for $100 handshakes as someone else in the thread mentioned.

Its in the category of "it will take some major event (God forbid something tragic) for it to change".....and when that event happens, and it will, the narrative will be "how could this have been allowed to go on" - I can see it all now clear as day
This

I like the idea of letting fans have a piece of the experience. But it's going to turn ugly at some point. Probably fans of the orange team getting into it with opposing players or coaches. You have to understand fans take it way more seriously than do most of the players.When I was 18-21 years old, this rivalry was only one day a year to me. People didn't say "We did so-and-so" and "Y'all did so-and-so". It has evolved into a year round hate-fest of which a lot of people think their team winning makes them somehow superior. Somewhere along the way fans started thinking they actually did something.

Fans need to get over themselves. They are no different that people paying to see a movie. They get to watch; that's all.

As for fans on the field at UPC: someone will have to get gut-stomped on live TV for anything to change. And even at that, it will only be permanent if some family gets 7 figures out of it.

Ehh, we've taken advantage of going onto their field when we beat them, so stop your belly aching. I actually like the idea of fans being able to take part in a win like that, wish we could do that here.

Fans should not be allowed on the field while players and coaches are still out there. It's inviting problems, and sooner or later something bad is going to happen.

Reactions: rogue cock
Love this thread . . . seems to come up every year. The older Carolina fans understand the tradition and what it means. If you don't like it, either don't go down there or quick belly aching . . or don't give up 700+ yards to a freshman quarterback. And by the way, it will never change and never be abolished. And it shouldn't.

Recognize petty when I read it.

Your smug condescending attitude is the exact reason why the "tradition" will most certainly end. Sooner or later an opposing fan/player is going to lay the smack down on someone with a field full of jerks like yourself.

Reactions: uofsc
The ole' slippery slope argument. Sure something bad could happen, but it hasn't, so complaining about it after a loss makes it come across as sour grapes.

This is not a true statement. Scroll up. This isn't the only on field altercation that's taken place on the field following a game.

Dude, it's tradition? When is the last time you heard of major injuries? Did you see aTm storm the field last night after beating LSU? Quit being a puss, let fans enjoy wins even if you dont

There are reasons why other conferences do not allow it. Fans can enjoy a win without rushing the field. Wake up and take a look around. Traditions always end. you taters shouldn't mention Clemson and tradition in the same sentence. Unless you still support some of the more Tillman-like traditions?

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT