ADVERTISEMENT

An 8 win season is still a possibility!

GarnetCocky1

Oct 3, 2015
A 7 win season is all but guaranteed and an 8 win season is looking like a strong possibility, depending on who we match up against in the bowl game. How many of us would have taken 8 wins to start the season? I sure would've. And we looked significantly more competitive against Clemson.

I'm not ready to quit on this team or this coaching staff just yet. I know next season's schedule is even more difficult, but I think we are turning the corner in a big way.

A 7 win season is all but guaranteed and an 8 win season is looking like a strong possibility, depending on who we match up against in the bowl game. How many of us would have taken 8 wins to start the season? I sure would've. And we looked significantly more competitive against Clemson.

I'm not ready to quit on this team or this coaching staff just yet. I know next season's schedule is even more difficult, but I think we are turning the corner in a big way.

Defense worries me...

We don't have bodies and stealing from the offense to fill the defense...

We're better off have players play both ways...

I won't be surprise if Akron run all over us like The Citadel did a few years ago and 25 years ago...

Not surprised about having 7 regular season wins since UK, TaM, UGly and clempson have our number and we have UTs for the moment. What I hope to see on offense next season is a dual threat QB and very little running plays up the middle against teams who are good at stopping the run. Our defense will be fine next season (barring an excessive amount of injuries). With that said, we may be better but our brutal schedule next season may not reflect it in our W-L column.

Not surprised about having 7 regular season wins since UK, TaM, UGly and clempson have our number and we have UTs for the moment. What I hope to see on offense next season is a dual threat QB and very little running plays up the middle against teams who are good at stopping the run. Our defense will be fine next season (barring an excessive amount of injuries). With that said, we may be better but our brutal schedule next season may not reflect it in our W-L column.
We are going to continue to run between the tackles for two reasons. One, our OL is continuing to improve, and, two, you have to keep the LBs honest....you have to do it to make them hesitate and continuing to look inside.

If our defense has a pulse next year, I feel pretty good about things. We have found a way to score points now. Bentley is getting time to throw the ball and has developed some consistency. We will have to replace some guys next year, but I think that is very possible if not probable.

Last edited:
Reactions: gamecockblack
And that would be a pretty good season IMO. We don't implode against UF and we would have the possibility for a very good season. We don't play UK and ATM with our heads up our a$$es half the game and win one or both of those, and we would have ourselves a great season.

Could be better could be worse but getting that 8th win is big for momentum, as 8 will be much tougher with next season's schedule.

Reactions: rogue cock

When I was in school, the football team had never won eight games in a season. Our team finally won that eighth game but we lost to Missouri in a bowl played in Legion Field in Birmingham. That was the 1979 season. Up to that point, we had never won a single bowl game in the history of the program. Our first bowl victory came in Florida at the now defunct Carquest Bowl. That was 1994. I do not look back fondly to my days at the school. We finally got to eight wins in my Senior Year and our record against Clemson was 1-3. Although I agree with your assessment that I finally saw some fight in these players about a highly overhyped Clemson team this season, I for one will never accept eight wins as a benchmark for success. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I need to get back to the desert before the snow starts falling here in the NC Mountains.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Especially beating Michigan in a Bowl game...

Michigan going 10-2 and we went 6-5 this year...

After we beat Ohio State University on a last second field goal in the 2002 Outback Bowl (Holtz era), they rebounded nicely. Tressel took them to the Title Game where they beat Miami for the National Championship. We went on to win 5 games that same year and watched the bowl season from the comfort of our homes. We are the good luck charm for Big Ten teams in the Outback Bowl.

After we beat Ohio State University on a last second field goal in the 2002 Outback Bowl (Holtz era), they rebounded nicely. Tressel took them to the Title Game where they beat Miami for the National Championship. We went on to win 5 games that same year and watched the bowl season from the comfort of our homes. We are the good luck charm for Big Ten teams in the Outback Bowl.
Yes. Big 10's bowl record against USC not so good. I think they have figured it out-lose to USC in bowl game and win NC in FB or be rated in the top four for some of the season the next.

It took two thirds of a season, but it appears we're finally fielding a very good offense. I really like the direction of that side of the ball. We have a chance to have a top 10 offense next year with a few good replacements and continued development.

I have faith that Coach Muschamp can right the ship on the other side of the ball. I can give him a partial pass considering the amount of injuries weve had to endure.

I'm pretty encouraged about the direction we're heading as a team and staff right now, and I wouldn't have said that a few short weeks ago. Winning these next 2 games would be some big momentum heading into next season.

I think we get at LEAST one signature win next season and Clemson at home is a decent possibility in my opinion.

See that 12th game has really helped. Add a 13th gimme game and I bet we could start sniffing 9 wins. With a lose to Clemson and Kentucky I’m sure but yippie

See that 12th game has really helped. Add a 13th gimme game and I bet we could start sniffing 9 wins. With a lose to Clemson and Kentucky I’m sure but yippie

I know we wanted a win against Kentucky and we should have had a win at Florida. But I'm not dogging 8 wins.

At the beginning of the season most on here were predicting a better record than last year and at worse matching the 9-3 2017 campaign.
So I would say no, most would not have settled for 8 wins nor settled losing to UK another year.
Should we lose our bowl game that would mean we lost 3 of our last 5, and 3 straight to P5 schools. That would not make me excited for next year, particularly when taking into account what our schedule looks like.

Last edited:
At the beginning of the season most on here were predicting a better record than last year and at worse matching the 9-3 2017 campaign.
So I would say no, most would not have settled for 8 wins nor settled losing to UK another year.
Should we lose our bowl game that would mean we lost 3 of our last 5, and 3 straight to P5 schools. That would not make me excited for next year, particularly when taking into account what our schedule looks like.

I don't recall anyone seriously predicting a 10 win season for us. 8/9 win seemed just about right for us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT