ADVERTISEMENT

An unflattering and scathing critique of college football

Click the OP's link and scroll down to Brian Kelly selfishly leaving....

Or click here.

Selfishly leaving? Of course he did. Now granted, he was making quite a nice living at ND, but if somebody wanders in to give him a 2-3 million a year raise he is going to take it. So would I, and anybody else with a brain. And let's also look at the football side. ND is still a good football program, but they don't live up to their reputation historically as the top program in the country. Haven't won a national championship since Lou Holtz. He has had them in the playoffs, but then gets embarrassed by a Alabama, or Clemson. On the other hand, the last three coaches at LSU have won national championships. And most will agree that the last two they won were with coaches that nobody considered among the sharpest in the game. It isn't youth football. He is just looking for his best opportunity. Just like all of the players that enter the portal because they don't want to wait their turn wherever they are. It is a business. Nothing more, nothing less.

It'll be his last stop anyway. People will move on and eventually folks will get over hating on Kelly. In the end, it takes more time and energy than it is worth. I mean, didn't that boy who shot President Reagan finally get released? And wasn't Sirhan Sirham recently granted parole? Kelly will breathe easy in a year or two.

Selfishly leaving? Of course he did. Now granted, he was making quite a nice living at ND, but if somebody wanders in to give him a 2-3 million a year raise he is going to take it. So would I, and anybody else with a brain. And let's also look at the football side. ND is still a good football program, but they don't live up to their reputation historically as the top program in the country. Haven't won a national championship since Lou Holtz. He has had them in the playoffs, but then gets embarrassed by a Alabama, or Clemson. On the other hand, the last three coaches at LSU have won national championships. And most will agree that the last two they won were with coaches that nobody considered among the sharpest in the game. It isn't youth football. He is just looking for his best opportunity. Just like all of the players that enter the portal because they don't want to wait their turn wherever they are. It is a business. Nothing more, nothing less.
Well said. I heard Kelly recently made some kind of comment about not being willing to leave ND for 225 million dollars, which is a ridiculous and stupid thing to say. I don't know why these coaches feel compelled to proclaim their undying loyalty to schools, knowing perfectly well that for the right place and right amount of money, they're gone.

Well here's my take on it. FWIW, Kelly is a mercenary. Is now, and always has been. Folks may not remember how he left or how he coached at his old job. A leopard dont change it's spots, and no matter how much folks may want him to be whatever, he is what he is. I believe Notre Dame knew that when they hired him. I think the Petrino comparison is a good one. Men with no morals, but somehow people project that on them. He went to the highest bidder, period, and left those behind who no longer benefit him. I dont know the answer, but I think you see players starting to do the same thing in the portal. If you get benched, hit the portal. Not, "I'll work harder to win the job back", hit the portal and take my immense talent somewhere else. Screw the folks who were counting on me. I know the money was right for him, but why couldn't he have waited a few weeks?

Some of it is scathing, some isn't. He is correct when he writes,

"Heartless realignment ravaged the game twice in a decade."

"The NCAA in general hasn't been able to get its arms around cheating to the point it has all but thrown up his hands in this age of name, image and likeness."

"In that sense, college football has become NFL Lite."

But, when you have powerful people that don't really love college football, and yammering buffoons (many that dwell on FGF), that may love the game but are easily misled, you get what he have now.

Really? If I'm already making $5M a year, $2M more isn't enough to make me jump like that, at that point money isn't even a motivator for me (it hardly is now and I make significantly less). I've turned down job opportunities that offered significant raises. I'd call it ego more than anything when you start talking that kind of money. There's very little you can do at $7M a year that you couldn't do at $5M.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT