ADVERTISEMENT

Another good win by the basketball team!!! Great win guys!!

It was kind of cool seeing Jake Hilinski cheering on the team from the student section. That kid really, really wants to be a Gamecock.

Kotsar was funny in his post-game interview with ESPN. He's kind of goofy, but I suspect that he's pretty darned smart.

Frank has made adjustments. Silva was the primary offensive option for most of his action on that side of the ball early in the year. He's gone away from that, and a lot is happening off the ball to get Gravett shots. Gravett's usage rate is 25% during these two conference games. It was 17% during the out of conference schedule. He's figured out Gravett is his best offensive player right now and he's leaning into that. The secondary action is for Silva and Kotsar, which is helping get them better looks. Through these two conference games, all three have played incredibly well.

But there are some troubling signs too. Depth is a massive issue. Frank is right now only playing 7 guys. And if that continues, he's going to wear these guys out. He can't even afford to put guys like Hinson and Frink on the floor, because they offer so little. Point guard is still a nightmare. Campbell's turnover over rate is higher than his assist rate and he's an average to below average defender. And Lawson and Bryant have been bad in these two conference games. Lawson in particular looks overwhelmed right now, and with absolutely no depth, there isn't an option to roll him back a bit.

Wildcard is Hasse, who they don't ask much of. But after looking absolutely terrible, he's been solid these last two games. If they can get production from him like this, it will go a long way toward winning games.

Adding Minya should help the depth problem. Not sure when he returns.

Fortunately the committee focuses more on how you finish the season rather than how you start it. If we get hot and go on a run, we have a chance. I agree no excusing those losses though even though Augusta was an exhibition and doesn't count. The Wofford loss was bad just because how badly we were beaten. That shouldn't happen to us.
Maybe so. I don't remember when the particular games occurred, but our earlier bad losses came back to bite us the year before the FF run. It was widely agreed that we got screwed.

Maybe so. I don't remember when the particular games occurred, but our earlier bad losses came back to bite us the year before the FF run. It was widely agreed that we got screwed.
It was also an extremely weak OOC schedule that year. I think that hurt us more than anything, especially since the SEC was nothing to brag about at the time.

We were 13-0 OOC that year and won the first 15 games. Unfortunately went 0-3 vs. UGA, including one-and-done in the SECT, and lost to a bad Mizzou team during a 3-5 finish to the season. Still, beat a top ten A$M on the road and won 24 games, most ever by a power conference team not selected, as I recall. So, yeah, screwed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT