ADVERTISEMENT

Any Clowney haters today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real shame ole Freddie B Cocky hasn't weighed in yet. He was hilarious last Friday with all his talk of reigning shit down on people he didn't deem patriotic and having them eat "shit filled Christmas turkeys" or some such. Fascinating guy.

Neither pro nor con on statues. But thre points here:

1. What does removing a statue accomplish? Think it changes race relations or inflamed arguments?

2. Funny how politicians have walked past and thru these halls of statues for years but now they are troublesome.
Same w travel ban. Schumer was for the same ban when Obama proposed but its mean and unamerican when Trump proposed same ban.

3. Know history before destroying it. Lee had no slaves and thought it bad. Grant did have slaves. He coming off the $50? MLK would not support LGBTQ as a pastor. Should we tear him down?
1). Removing Confederate monuments goes a long way towards showing the groups that Confederates oppressed (people of African and slave descent) that we as a nation are not proud of what they did/stood for. No more white nationalists having marches around these monuments and glorifying what they did.

2). Just because politicians and other people weren’t complaining every time they walked by a Confederate monument doesn’t mean they liked it.

3). Grant owned one slave that he released (not sold but released) before the war. LEE owned several slave(S). But most importantly, Grant openly wanted to end slavery. Lee did not.

Reactions: funktavious
yep it is all Trump's fault!! LMAO
giphy.gif
If you re-read the post you'd see that it doesn't blame Trump for the original protests. Maybe you're a bit touchy because POTUS expressed what you felt in your heart about the protests/protesters and you're glad it became the spectacle that it is.

Perhaps a refresher on the timeline of events that brought this issue squarely back into the news would help. link

Up to that point it was CK and a handful of others protesting. Wasn't even making the news on that radical leftist network that starts with E and ends in N. Then POTUS used a "figure of speech," added that people should be fired, and that launched what we have now. So now, like McNair, he's part of it - which is what the post said.

If you re-read the post you'd see that it doesn't blame Trump for the original protests. Maybe you're a bit touchy because POTUS expressed what you felt in your heart about the protests/protesters and you're glad it became the spectacle that it is.

Perhaps a refresher on the timeline of events that brought this issue squarely back into the news would help. link

Up to that point it was CK and a handful of others protesting. Wasn't even making the news on that radical leftist network that starts with E and ends in N. Then POTUS used a "figure of speech," added that people should be fired, and that launched what we have now. So now, like McNair, he's part of it - which is what the post said.

First off, you have NO CLUE what i feel in my heart, Secondly, Yes I am 100% against anyone that makes millions protesting the National Anthem while Americans like me are Paying their salaries.. I have no problem with anyone protesting anything they like, that is what makes America great, people that are SO SO oppressed (like NFL Players) can protest to their heart's content, but not on MY DIME!! The fans are the reason they are making millions, BUT hey, this is America, I dont watch them, and it isnt TRUMP's fault they feel oppressed, it isnt Trump's fault they Hate police, But you have your Opinion I have mine, so dont go speculating what is in MY HEART!! I for one, am done, All that support them, have at it..

when i go to work i am expected to act in an appropriate manner....i cant go to work and protest and neither should they....people are missing the point....yes they have the right to protest.....on their own time
Everyone agrees that political protests aren’t for the workplace. But that’s up until the employer starts demanding that you have to act in a certain way for things such as the national anthem. That’s appropriate for dictatorships, not the land of the free.

Reactions: rogue cock
Everyone agrees that political protests aren’t for the workplace. But that’s up until the employer starts demanding that you have to act in a certain way for things such as the national anthem. That’s appropriate for dictatorships, not the land of the free.
so if my boss says I cant wear Jeans in the office except on Fridays, She is a Dictator?? WOW... Hmmm... Maybe so..

First off, you have NO CLUE what i feel in my heart, Secondly, Yes I am 100% against anyone that makes millions protesting the National Anthem while Americans like me are Paying their salaries.. I have no problem with anyone protesting anything they like, that is what makes America great, people that are SO SO oppressed (like NFL Players) can protest to their heart's content, but not on MY DIME!! The fans are the reason they are making millions, BUT hey, this is America, I dont watch them, and it isnt TRUMP's fault they feel oppressed, it isnt Trump's fault they Hate police, But you have your Opinion I have mine, so dont go speculating what is in MY HEART!! I for one, am done, All that support them, have at it..
Yes it is in your heart that you agree that these people are wrong and should be punished. It's OK. I'm glad that you can state it clearly. It's great that we can all have different opinions and still live and work together - that's not how it works in some places, and I hope our experiment in freedom doesn't get over-ridden by those who think it should only be one way.

If you could spend a second re-reading what was originally posted instead of blowing up, you'd see that I (nor anyone else) has said it's POTUS's fault that they feel oppressed. It is his fault for drawing such attention to it - mainly for political points. To rile up folks like you who feel that anthem should be sacred. I can certainly respect that point of view and disagree with it at the same time.

The problem is that you called me an idiot for saying something that I didn't say, and I do take exception to that. I also take exception to anyone who jumps down someone else's throat in the manner that you did.

Out of curiosity, when fans pay players, do the players claim this additional income? Is there a tax write-off? Wondering why someone would pay another person who doesn't actually work for them. Most peculiar.

Reactions: DC-99 and SCexpat38
I think one thing that gets lost in the "poor NFL players making millions aren't oppressed, they're not slaves, so they need to behave" is that in many cases (maybe most) they're protesting not because they themselves are oppressed, but because they have a a platform and they believe it important to use that platform on behalf of those they believe to be oppressed.

Big difference.

Also, these sort of arguments tend to get so warped by those with agendas (on all sides) that nobody knows who stands for what anymore.

Divide and conquer, keep folks arguing over symbols and skin color and partisan politics.

Go Gamecocks, dammit.

Also struggling to understand the “figure of speech” argument. If your boss called you a son of a bit@%, would that be okay, since it’s a figure of speech?

rules are rules, you comparing making a player stand during the national anthem to a DICTATOR is Genius as well
There is no “rule” that NFL players stand genius.

And dictators force their “patriotism” on their subjects. In the land of the free we frown upon those things.

Last edited:
Reactions: funktavious
Also struggling to understand the “figure of speech” argument. If your boss called you a son of a bit@%, would that be okay, since it’s a figure of speech?
"Figure of speech"... "locker room talk"... they are clever. Meanwhile, we MAGA on... Manafort And Gates Arrested.

What if he had said the Insane are running the Asylum?? WOW, He would be hung in the street..
He could have said the "clowns are running the circus," or "the crew is running the ship," but he didn't. It was a mistake and he admitted it.

Unfortunately it happened at a time when he should have been more circumspect. And that by itself shows a lack of respect for what is going on.

He apologized, too. If he can't be forgiven then that's a problem, too. Never seen an apology from POTUS.

Man you are dead on correct!!! Question: Why don't the owners just go ahead and fire them all, register each as policy offenders and hereby permanently suspend each and every one of them, and then start over with American citizens who love their flag no matter what?!?!

~_O
Heck, sign me up. I'm not nearly as big, fast, or athletic as those guys but if they want to pay me the league minimum to play football, I'll stand my ass off for the anthem.

Nowhere was I suggesting that any figure of speech should be okay. You have to understand what the figure of speech means to decide if it is appropriate.

No, if my boss called me a son of a bit@%, it would not be ok, because it would mean he is calling me a bad person. It does not mean that he literally thinks my mother is a bit@%. If he called me the "cream of the crop", he isn't literally comparing me to cream or a crop. Just saying that I'm the best of the group.

"Inmates running the prison" means that the people least capable of running the business or group are running the business. And he was exactly right. He wasn't calling anybody a criminal or comparing the NFL to a prison. He was just saying that the owners of the business should be making decisions for the business, not the employees.

Reactions: Jpcooper
No use for the nfl. Including any of our own if they are participating in this crap.
I watched the Seattle Houston game and it was a barn burner to the last seconds. The home crowd was going crazy. Clowney had a fumble recovery and played about as well as any of the other defensive players on either team. Which is to say not much d by either side.

What does a quote from 2011 during labor negotiations have to do with protests of today?

Sorry, I didn't notice the date. I remembered reading about some comments along those lines, recently, and that was the second one that came up. If you look, there are other instances where they are being compared. Here's one from Michael Bennett...https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/michael-bennett-compares-slave-dred-scott/. That might have been the one I was thinking about.

Of course, the honorable Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have also been making the same comparison.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Sorry, I didn't notice the date. I remembered reading about some comments along those lines, recently, and that was the second one that came up. If you look, there are other instances where they are being compared. Here's one from Michael Bennett...https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/michael-bennett-compares-slave-dred-scott/. That might have been the one I was thinking about.

Of course, the honorable Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have also been making the same comparison.

Many athletes are not role models. Again, what does this have to do with kneeling to try to bring awareness to an issue?

Many athletes are not role models. Again, what does this have to do with kneeling to try to bring awareness to an issue?

He made a slave comparison because Jerry Jones said players shouldn't be kneeling during anthem. Something you said "I've not heard that complaint during these protests."

Yeah. Them ball players are rich just like trump without the fake hair.
"Rich just like Trump"??? NFL players? Gimme a break. Most of the players will be broke within 10 years of retirement. Do you know how many years of $10 million makes a Billion?

Reactions: cockofdawn
If your boss came to you and said you "should" get something done by end of day, would you consider it optional?
Common parlance versus legal definition. You are correct unless your employer had to enforce it in court or justify terminating your employment in court.

He made a slave comparison because Jerry Jones said players shouldn't be kneeling during anthem. Something you said "I've not heard that complaint during these protests."
People are getting worked up about the amount of money these athletes get paid. I don't understand what this has to do with the protests.

People are getting worked up about the amount of money these athletes get paid. I don't understand what this has to do with the protests.

I'm not getting worked up. I just pointed out that the comparison HAS been made.

If your boss came to you and said you "should" get something done by end of day, would you consider it optional?
I get where you're coming from but it seems that your argument is different from what is going on in the NFL.

A directive from the boss about the content and quantity of my work is different from me disobeying a "should" statement about company policy in the company rulebook. If the boss told me I "shouldn't" wear the clothes I was currently wearing, I would investigate to see if there was cause for my boss' directive, and ignore him/her at my own peril.

This part of the argument is beside the point, however. Some folks are offended by the conduct of the kneelers, so they are using everything they can to prove that this behavior is somehow illegal, against company policy, etc. because they are offended.

From my understanding, the Texans as a team have not knelt all year. It wasn't until McNair made his ill-advised comments that this came up. If your team is doing the right thing, don't mess it up. I put this one on the owner.

Players can always walk . Nobody will miss the NFL at this point . McNair signs there checks they don't mind cashing them .

Last edited:
I get where you're coming from but it seems that your argument is different from what is going on in the NFL.

A directive from the boss about the content and quantity of my work is different from me disobeying a "should" statement about company policy in the company rulebook. If the boss told me I "shouldn't" wear the clothes I was currently wearing, I would investigate to see if there was cause for my boss' directive, and ignore him/her at my own peril.

This part of the argument is beside the point, however. Some folks are offended by the conduct of the kneelers, so they are using everything they can to prove that this behavior is somehow illegal, against company policy, etc. because they are offended.
They work for him. If his statement is too harsh, they can call it quits. I seriously doubt that any will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT