ADVERTISEMENT

Any interesting Todd Ellis-isms from the Outback Bowl radio broadcast?

He is the worst. His high-pitched are you kidding me calls at the apex of great moments have ruined them for the ages. We must be one of the few fans that are better off listening to the TV broadcasts. Constantly gets the simple things wrong time and time again.

A generation had Bob Fulton, and we get left with this guy. For all the great wins and plays since 2003, there isn’t a single great call from this guy. Stumbling, stammering, confusing... just awful.

He is the worst. His high-pitched are you kidding me calls at the apex of great moments have ruined them for the ages. We must be one of the few fans that are better off listening to the TV broadcasts. Constantly gets the simple things wrong time and time again.

A generation had Bob Fulton, and we get left with this guy. For all the great wins and plays since 2003, there isn’t a single great call from this guy. Stumbling, stammering, confusing... just awful.
I like Todd Ellis...

So who hires Todd - The radio station? The university? Im assuming the university has some say since the station has the rights to the games.
I like that Todd is a Gamecock and I fully would expect that to come with some "unpolished" moments and that's worth the trade-off to have one of your own calling the games....but he's just really bad in my opinion - I'm also sure calling games is harder than it seems but dang man

Hell, I like Todd and Tommy. Both were pretty good players, they have personality and they care and that comes through in the broadcast. And yep, I remember Bob Fulton well.

I don't remember a "single great" call from Fulton, either. Just consistent fine work over the ages.

Maybe I'm too easily satisfied. I dunno.

Agree. Should have hired Mike Morgan for the play by play and told Todd if he wants to stay do color.

Well, we had a professional announcer after Bob Fulton retired. Remember Charlie Mac? People moaned & groaned that he was too detached & not enough of a homer. We just won a great, come from behind game yesterday & still people have to find something to b*tch about. I would have LOVED it if we had made Mike Morgan play by play for football but the university fumbled that away. Could Todd improve his call? Absolutely, but I think he tries his best so cut him some slack. At least wait till August before u start slinging arrows his way again. Sorry for the rant.

"The dad gum Gamecocks have got it!!"
Taken out of context this seems pretty silly, but if you listen to the entire game with Bobby and Todd, you can tell Todd is in disbelief that Michigan has made yet another mistake. It often goes like this for Todd. He wears down, especially in tight, stressful games. That's when he's at his "best."

Bob Fulton doesn't get near the credit that he should. Wish we had a statue of the guy around the stadium. I think the press box is named after him isn't it? If it isn't, it should be. I'm glad I got to be born at the right time to experience games through his voice.

So who hires Todd - The radio station? The university? Im assuming the university has some say since the station has the rights to the games.
I like that Todd is a Gamecock and I fully would expect that to come with some "unpolished" moments and that's worth the trade-off to have one of your own calling the games....but he's just really bad in my opinion - I'm also sure calling games is harder than it seems but dang man

No radio station has anything to do with it. This is IMG Sports and USC.

The job that was open to Demetra was actually going to someone else, but that person was too critical of the Gamecocks in social media. Gamecock guy, but was a little too honest about his thoughts on the program and Carolina looked another direcrion

No radio station has anything to do with it. This is IMG Sports and USC.

The job that was open to Demetra was actually going to someone else, but that person was too critical of the Gamecocks in social media. Gamecock guy, but was a little too honest about his thoughts on the program and Carolina looked another direcrion
Demetra or Morgan? Thought Demetra left to go to GaTech because they allowed him to call the football games and we would not.

Some Fulton sayings...

To open the radio show on game days..."Welcome, sportsfans..."

On punts..."it's a high, spiraling kick"

On long, break-away touchdown runs by any team, the runner magically always slowed down at the 5 yard line..."Rogers to the 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 (pause) 5...touchdown"

Going to commercials..."You're listening to the Gamecock Football Network"

I'm 51, loved Fulton. As a fan of college football, Munson and Jim Phillips were great at painting the picture of the game as well.

Sad that kids today don't have those memories. When I was a kid, USC was lucky to have one game a year on TV. So, I always tuned in on the radio. That's the only way you knew what was going on. Not even sure how many people listen these days between cell phones, all games being on TV, etc.

Great memories!!

Agree. Should have hired Mike Morgan for the play by play and told Todd if he wants to stay do color.
ZACTLY!!!!! Mike Morgan is THE VERY BEST ANNOUNCER EVER to announce anything related to Gamecock Athletics!! Just a simple absolute, coupled with the fact that he WOULD NOT BITE on the scam that Todd and the HBIC were affiliated with many moons ago.

Sounds like he’s about to start crying at the apex of a big play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT