ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody live in or around Gaffney?

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
Are they widening I-85 to Charoltte? And where else do yall think they should work on the roads with this gas tax?

Every interstate in the state should be widened to at least 3 lanes.

95 border to border ... start at known clog points and work exit to exit.

26 border to border ... start on the outskirts of Columbia and work out both ways.

77 Columbia to Charlotte ... start at both ends and meet in the middle.

20 Augusta to Florence ... start on the outskirts of Columbia and work out both ways.

And, yes, I know it would take 100 years to make this happen ... if they started tomorrow.
:rolleyes:

Are they widening I-85 to Charoltte? And where else do yall think they should work on the roads with this gas tax?

Gaffney, easiest, quickest town in sc to get a penicillin shot, no questions asked:).....but I digress.....

Cherokee county has some of the best maintained roads in the state.......their prine solution led the state.
Oh the only reason they might be widening the interstate in the county? Too many mamas have told their boys to get out of the county as quick as u can! Lol 😆

26 border to border ... start on the outskirts of Columbia and work out both ways.

20 Augusta to Florence ... start on the outskirts of Columbia and work out both ways.

And, yes, I know it would take 100 years to make this happen ... if they started tomorrow.

They have to fix malfunction junction outside Columbia, and a few other interchanges first, but widening all of them to 3 lanes would be a good investment.

Reactions: Bubbaglide
From where I am, driving north on 85 sucks! I’ve driven on interstate highways in many cities in this country. 85 south and north is the absolute worst! It’s not so much the highway as it is the drivers. I feel very sorry for anyone that has to travel this road daily.

Reactions: jeff2001
We have a small bridge a couple of miles from my house that has been out for a year now.
It took the better part of two years to get a bridge repaired where I live . Bad thing is, we used to fish near this bridge when I was in high school, and it needed repairs then. That was 30 years ago.

Reactions: jeff2001
Gaffney, easiest, quickest town in sc to get a penicillin shot, no questions asked:).....but I digress.....

Cherokee county has some of the best maintained roads in the state.......their prine solution led the state.
Oh the only reason they might be widening the interstate in the county? Too many mamas have told their boys to get out of the county as quick as u can! Lol 😆
I went to a Gaffney doctor once asking that he encourage my then wife to get a penicillin shot. Hell, he gave himself one.

They are widening 85 from Spartanburg to the state line. Years away from finishing it. On the southbound side, the have what they call a chute. The two lanes split into two single lanes with concrete barriers on each side. I’d bet they have at least three wrecks a week there. Some pretty bad.

I-85 will be widened to 3/6 lanes from NC line to where it turns into 4 at Spartanburg.

85 in North Carolina will be widened to 4/8 lanes from Belmont to Kings Mt. exit and then 3/6 to South Carolina line. This is all somewhat needed but pales in comparison to I-95 from I-26 junction to Georgia line.

One of the biggest misses by our politicians has been not building an interstate between Charleston and Augusta. The port of Charleston has been upgraded to where it is now a first class port. But it competes with Savannah and Jacksonville for goods going to and from Atlanta. The time to drive from Charleston to Augusta could be cut from 2:40 to 1:51 with an interstate. An added benefit would be the alleviation of traffic jams around Columbia and Charleston. Next time you drive I-26 through Summerville, check out the number of container trucks you see. One of the first trains in America, called The Best Friend ran between Charleston and North Augusta. The need for efficient transportation between those two points has been there for over a century.

I live outside of Charlotte and still travel to my hometown of Barnwell every few months so I've taken 77 my fair share of times. I can see your point on 77 to an extent, but I'd rather see 26 expanded to three lanes first. It's gotten to the point to where I refuse to take 26 when I go to Edisto. I'll get off 77 at exit 1, take 178 until it hooks up with 95 and take 95 to 64 in Walterboro. I haven't lost time taking that route since I startedgoing that. This summer, we're going to Isle of Palms and there doesn't seem to be a good detour to avoiding a chunk of 26 without adding at least half an hour to the trip 😒

I travelled on I-85 for several years before retiring. Tractor-trailer traffic from/to Atlanta/Charlotte makes it a dangerous, dangerous road. The trucks run 80 all the time. I have retired and relieved I don't have to use it any more.

Funny thing is, by the time they finished it the population would be big enough where we would need it.

All of 95 needs to be repaved, especially the closer you get to Georgia

All of that needs to happen. I would prioritize the I-95 project because that is a decrepit, dangerous, heavily traveled highway. Other than the stretch near Florence, that highway is both a hazard to motorists and a disgrace to our state.

From where I am, driving north on 85 sucks! I’ve driven on interstate highways in many cities in this country. 85 south and north is the absolute worst! It’s not so much the highway as it is the drivers. I feel very sorry for anyone that has to travel this road daily.
Have you driven 26 and 40 around Asheville lately? Horrible congestion. Too many folks in an area that terrain restricts.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
All of that needs to happen. I would prioritize the I-95 project because that is a decrepit, dangerous, heavily traveled highway. Other than the stretch near Florence, that highway is both a hazard to motorists and a disgrace to our state.
I have seen pine tree limbs fall on the road and stop traffic there. Not a fallen tree, just limbs. That’s how close the trees are to the interstate. I don’t think that happens anywhere else.

I have seen pine tree limbs fall on the road and stop traffic there. Not a fallen tree, just limbs. That’s how close the trees are to the interstate. I don’t think that happens anywhere else.
They have actually removed some trees in the median where there are no other barriers because of lawsuits filed by survivors of people killed by trees.

Have you driven 26 and 40 around Asheville lately? Horrible congestion. Too many folks in an area that terrain restricts.
I was about to post about this myself. I go that way frequently as we have a place in Bryson City. They're widening 26 from Hendersonville to Asheville and it's a cluster f$%k. It's horrible! And like you said, with the terrain, as well as the lack of alternate routes, there are just too many vehicles for the road as it is now. I hope I live long enough to enjoy it after it's finished. I actually get the white knuckle syndrome sometimes driving through there.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Even though that stretch has been widened and is in better condition, there seems to be an inordinate amount of serious accidents in that area.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I was about to post about this myself. I go that way frequently as we have a place in Bryson City. They're widening 26 from Hendersonville to Asheville and it's a cluster f$%k. It's horrible! And like you said, with the terrain, as well as the lack of alternate routes, there are just too many vehicles for the road as it is now. I hope I live long enough to enjoy it after it's finished. I actually get the white knuckle syndrome sometimes driving through there.
The area around the Biltmore Town Center is always slowed to a crawl. The I26/I40 junction is just a stupid design.

No sir, I haven’t been up there since 2019 when we went to the Biltmore House.
It can be like a mini Atlanta on some days. I've almost wrecked several times including 2 weeks ago. Stop and go non stop and there will literally be no reason.

We could have fixed every road in the state if they’d spent the money they use to “patch” the road that lasts maybe a month at best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT