ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here interested in...

a break from all the Clemson talk to discuss SC's upcoming New Year's Day bowl game?
You may not be aware, but that's kind of a big deal.
Sad but the playoff's have made events like the Outback Bowl almost an after thought. Not to long ago, the Outback was a fairly big time bowl bid as were the other Jan. 1 bowl games. At any rate, this bowl has very meaningful implications for our program. Beating a media darling like Harbaugh and Michigan can only help Muschamp as he continues to mold his own playoff contender.

Sad but the playoff's have made events like the Outback Bowl almost an after thought. Not to long ago, the Outback was a fairly big time bowl bid as were the other Jan. 1 bowl games. At any rate, this bowl has very meaningful implications for our program. Beating a media darling like Harbaugh and Michigan can only help Muschamp as he continues to mold his own playoff contender.
are you basing this off of fact or just your personal opinion?
I don't believe viewers or interest is down in most bowls.

Reactions: GamecockSPUR
We are mirror images of each other in a way. They have much more talent i have little doubt. Both offenses are terrible. They’re defense is great. Ours is “ok”. How motivated are they?

Harbaugh is convinced he can't win with the talent from the Michigan area, so he is obsessed with showing off everywhere else, especially in the southeast. So i wonder what kind of publicity stunts he has planned. Hopefully our publicity will come from winning the game.

Beating a media darling like Harbaugh and Michigan can only help Muschamp as he continues to mold his own playoff contender.
Well said. Why Harbaugh gets so much love from the press is a mystery, but if we top UM it can only help our program. That said, they have a ton of talent...it would be our biggest victory under CWM.

Reactions: Myrtlebeachdave
I think it just simply comes down the Bentley hitting open WRs. If we win or not. It's up to him.

Reactions: jimnasium

CFP has neither made the Outback (formerly Hall of Fame) Bowl more nor less relevant. It is the same. During the BCS time, only one game mattered. Now, three games matter in determining a national champ.

The Outback was not part of this equation even prior to the CFP, so therefore it is no less important than it was before.

New Year's Day bowls started diminishing with the addition of the Fiesta Bowl to the list, which made the number of such bowls five. Each additional New Year's Day Bowl has diminished the prestige of such events even more. The term "Major Bowl" is virtually meaningless now except where it is applied to three of the historically biggest bowls, the Cotton Bowl having lost its lustre, this year's matchup notwithstanding.

Any bowl we make right now is a major bowl to me. We stunk up the field in 2015, then got better in 2016, now we are in a New Years bowl and we are talking about bowl prestige? Hey, it's like we were walking two years ago and somebody gave us a car and then we complain the car ain't fancy enough. Now we have a shot at nine wins and I couldn't be more proud of this team and staff.

CFP has neither made the Outback (formerly Hall of Fame) Bowl more nor less relevant. It is the same. During the BCS time, only one game mattered. Now, three games matter in determining a national champ.

The Outback was not part of this equation even prior to the CFP, so therefore it is no less important than it was before.
This is not true! All bowls became much more irrelevant when the quantity of bowls went from 18-20 up to 45! It used to be an earned privilege to be qualified to be bowl eligible. When the NCAA had to start giving less than .500 seasons authorization to play in bowls, the value of all bowls dropped.

I think there should be "post season play" earned by winning .500 or better. Then there should be top 10 bowls that give the top 25 an opportunity to play quality out of conference games to give great discussion about conference strengths. Then the top 4 teams get to play for Championship.

At the point that under .500 teams started to become bowl eligible the entire bowl system became nothing more than a money grab and reduced the value of games.

All the coaches let lobby for more bowls because they get bonuses for bowl eligibility but also to gain the additional 15 days if practice.

There shouldn't be over 15 bowls, then you won't see players taking games off either saying it's a professional decision?

are you basing this off of fact or just your personal opinion?
I don't believe viewers or interest is down in most bowls.
Based on the lack of media coverage on nothing but the playoff contenders. Virtually no mention of the other teams in bowels.

Any bowl we make right now is a major bowl to me. We stunk up the field in 2015, then got better in 2016, now we are in a New Years bowl and we are talking about bowl prestige? Hey, it's like we were walking two years ago and somebody gave us a car and then we complain the car ain't fancy enough. Now we have a shot at nine wins and I couldn't be more proud of this team and staff.
Amen. This has been an excellent job by Muschamp and staff. We are without doubt heading in the right direction with the program. I for one, am very proud of our University. We are a national product in more than just one sport. Football is heading in the right direction and i could not be any prouder as well. Thanks for the positive comment!

This is not true! All bowls became much more irrelevant when the quantity of bowls went from 18-20 up to 45! It used to be an earned privilege to be qualified to be bowl eligible. When the NCAA had to start giving less than .500 seasons authorization to play in bowls, the value of all bowls dropped.

I think there should be "post season play" earned by winning .500 or better. Then there should be top 10 bowls that give the top 25 an opportunity to play quality out of conference games to give great discussion about conference strengths. Then the top 4 teams get to play for Championship.

At the point that under .500 teams started to become bowl eligible the entire bowl system became nothing more than a money grab and reduced the value of games.

All the coaches let lobby for more bowls because they get bonuses for bowl eligibility but also to gain the additional 15 days if practice.

There shouldn't be over 15 bowls, then you won't see players taking games off either saying it's a professional decision?

I’ll respond without exclamation points.

My response was related to this statement. “Sad but the playoff's have made events like the Outback Bowl almost an after thought.” Did you fail to understand that?

The playoffs are not responsible for the large number of bowls. This predates the playoff. Do you understand now how your response was arguing a completely different point?

My sentiments exactly. The college bowls have come to remind me of NBA playoffs. We should not have a college football season. Let's just start the year with a 125 team playoff.

Have to respectfully disagree with your thoughts on this. I know some of the talking heads on certain sports outlets like to get their 15 mins and make this claim as well. It is misguided in my opinion. Any coach in the fbs will tell you the value of a bowl is priceless. Exposure, practice time for the team, a reward for the players and their hard work. As well as giving the fans a good opportunity to have a fun filled holiday season traveling to a nice destination. It also brings good money to the university. The championship playoff series is great. But so are the bowls. Went to the outback bowl twice ohio st. both wins. also, went to the chick fil a to play fla st. a return trip to atlanta as we had also went to the ga dome for the SEC championship. Had a wonderful time at all of them. Papa johns bowl was terrible. Legion field should probably be retired. it was a great venue at one time. but no longer. and man was it cold!!! but so was the first outback bowl with ohio st. anyway. regardless, we were'nt playing for a championship in any of those bowls either, so i dont really see the big deal. If you get a chance to go, i would highly recommend it. we took over tampa both ohio st games. it was great fun.

Have to respectfully disagree with your thoughts on this. I know some of the talking heads on certain sports outlets like to get their 15 mins and make this claim as well. It is misguided in my opinion. Any coach in the fbs will tell you the value of a bowl is priceless. Exposure, practice time for the team, a reward for the players and their hard work. As well as giving the fans a good opportunity to have a fun filled holiday season traveling to a nice destination. It also brings good money to the university. The championship playoff series is great. But so are the bowls. Went to the outback bowl twice ohio st. both wins. also, went to the chick fil a to play fla st. a return trip to atlanta as we had also went to the ga dome for the SEC championship. Had a wonderful time at all of them. Papa johns bowl was terrible. Legion field should probably be retired. it was a great venue at one time. but no longer. and man was it cold!!! but so was the first outback bowl with ohio st. anyway. regardless, we were'nt playing for a championship in any of those bowls either, so i dont really see the big deal. If you get a chance to go, i would highly recommend it. we took over tampa both ohio st games. it was great fun.
It does not bring good money to schools if they are a low tier game. First, all money is split in the conference. The schools that do not make bowls actually make more money than schools that do not make low tier bowls. On average, the schools that don't make bowls earn $1.4 mil more than the schools that go to bowl games.

You have HC and assistant bonuses, travel, meals, band, etc, etc.

123+/- teams in FBS. 40+ bowls, 80+ teams bowl eligible, more than half! Bowls in places like Birmingham??? Over 30 teams don't deserve a bowl because it devalues the whole experience!!!!!!

My response was related to this statement. “Sad but the playoff's have made events like the Outback Bowl almost an after thought.” Did you fail to understand that?

The playoffs are not responsible for the large number of bowls. This predates the playoff. Do you understand now how your response was arguing a completely different point?
Haha! Do you remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine was upset that her boyfriend didn't use an exclamation when her friend called and left message about having a baby??? Haha! Then the conversation pursued about the over and under use of exclamations? Funny stuff! I try to fall in the middle!!!!!!!!!!

I like our D against their O. It would be a great season if we can get to 9 wins and maybe get into the top 25.

Reactions: bushmastercock

Oh, and we are arguing over your thoughts. Outback bowl was way more relevant!!!! When there were minimal quality bowls it was much more prestigious to be in a bowl! Conference divisions devalued the actual conference championship as well.

Players can get rings for 10 win seasons, ring for divisional wins, ring for conference win, ring for beating a rival multiple times, ring for national championship. All those participation ribbons devalue great accomplishments. Too many bowls do the exact same!!!!!!!!

Big game for the program if they can pull off a win. But like others it is a bit a bit of a stretch to hear folks act like it is almost elite to play on New Years Day. That term has held over from years ago when there were only four, and you indeed had accomplished something. Not the case these days but I guess it makes folks feel good to say it.

Oh, and we are arguing over your thoughts. Outback bowl was way more relevant!!!! When there were minimal quality bowls it was much more prestigious to be in a bowl! Conference divisions devalued the actual conference championship as well.

Players can get rings for 10 win seasons, ring for divisional wins, ring for conference win, ring for beating a rival multiple times, ring for national championship. All those participation ribbons devalue great accomplishments. Too many bowls do the exact same!!!!!!!!

Did “too many bowls” begin in 2014? Because that is when the playoff began. Do try to remember that my point was in response to “Sad but the playoff's have made events like the Outback Bowl almost an after thought”. Period. That is all.

So unless the playoffs caused all of these bowls, then you are arguing against a point I never made. And doing so with excessive punctuation.

Well said. Why Harbaugh gets so much love from the press is a mystery, but if we top UM it can only help our program. That said, they have a ton of talent...it would be our biggest victory under CWM.
Maybe it's because he's a great, though OCD, coach who's proven he can be successful in both college and the NFL.

We are mirror images of each other in a way. They have much more talent i have little doubt. Both offenses are terrible. They’re defense is great. Ours is “ok”. How motivated are they?
I saw Miami this year and was reminded of our team. They had no offense and a terrific D. Here's hoping Mischa people can get us there with a little more O too.

I hope to see a moderately improved offense with better play calling. However I won’t be surprised to see us struggle since mich’s defense is supposed to be one of the best In the country. Hopefully we’ll find a way to win this game regardless. 9-4 sounds much better than 8-5!

The gamecocks' best chance is going to rely on the defense stifling UM's offense for the entire game, creating a low scoring game and giving Bentley a chance to work some magic in the 4th quarter.
I have a bad feeling we'll see something more like the Clemson game, though.

The gamecocks' best chance is going to rely on the defense stifling UM's offense for the entire game, creating a low scoring game and giving Bentley a chance to work some magic in the 4th quarter.
I have a bad feeling we'll see something more like the Clemson game, though.
I am pretty sure it won't be like the Clemson game. Michigan is not nearly as effective on offense as Clemson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT