ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know if Jimmy Foster......

I believe he is living in Greensboro. Going by his middle name (Calvin), if I remember correctly.

Still my favorite Gamecock of all time. I came along in the immediate post-McGuire era, and watching Foster on Coach Bill Foster's first four squads are some of my greatest Gamecock memories. 6'8" but played bigger. Tough as nails, with a nose for the basketball and a bit of a mean streak. He was a joy to watch play basketball.

Last edited:
I believe he is living in Greensboro. Going by his middle name (Calvin), if I remember correctly.

Still my favorite Gamecock of all time. I came along in the immediate post-McGuire era, and watching Foster on Coach Bill Foster's first four squads are some of my greatest Gamecock memories. 6'8" but played bigger. Tough as nails, with a nose for the basketball and a bit of a mean streak. He was a joy to watch play basketball.
I still remember Jimmy, he was a better garbage man than Frank Standard was, a hustler, could be mean as a rattkesnake when it came to shooting and rebounding.

Reactions: GandBinNC

You nailed it. Jimmy Foster would've found a way to outrebound Kareem Abdul Jabbar. I never saw anyone play harder in any sport.

Yet maybe a worse free throw shooter than Shaq. The original Hack a Shaq defense was on perfected on Jimmy years before Shaq.

He had a kinda strange way of shooting free throws. He had injured his elbow at some point and it caused him to alter his shooting style. Back in the day I used to imitate the way he shot ft's and it was practically impossible to hit two in a row. He was money under the basket though.

Reactions: Forever Fowl
He had a kinda strange way of shooting free throws. He had injured his elbow at some point and it caused him to alter his shooting style. Back in the day I used to imitate the way he shot ft's and it was practically impossible to hit two in a row. He was money under the basket though.

He tried shooting Rick Barry-style (underhand) at one point. He finished his career 3rd in scoring (still ranked 6th). A quick glance at the USC basketball media guide shows he shot 770 free throws (3rd most in program history), hitting 389 of those (.505). Despite his pedestrian FT percentage, he's still 5th in program history for FT made. If he had been a better FT shooter, let's say .750, he would still be in the top 5 of all-time scorers.

I played basketball with Jimmy all the way through middle school. He was 6-5 in the 7th grade. Lost touch with him after college and hadn't seen him since the late 80's. Always wondered if that boy was still alive. Jimmy was also a hell of a pitcher. Dude threw the ball in the upper 80's in middle school.

I played basketball with Jimmy all the way through middle school. He was 6-5 in the 7th grade. Lost touch with him after college and hadn't seen him since the late 80's. Always wondered if that boy was still alive. Jimmy was also a hell of a pitcher. Dude threw the ball in the upper 80's in middle school.
What middle school did he attend?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT