ADVERTISEMENT

As a well known Martin defender Im here to say...

We crapped ourselves today. We had a chance to beat the worst team in the SEC and lost. Win that game and I thought 2 SEC tourney wins (regardless of who) and we would be dancing.

Now it’s make history in Nashville or get ready for the NIT run.

When you coach this way, your effectiveness diminishes as the season wears on. The players get immune to the berating. They tune out or they become nervous.

I wanted Marshall from the start, but I welcomed FM. Thought the hire was interesting. But his style of coaching (like Bobby Knight) will not work very well today. Every year it the sAme story with one exception.

When you coach this way, your effectiveness diminishes as the season wears on. The players get immune to the berating. They tune out or they become nervous.

I wanted Marshall from the start, but I welcomed FM. Thought the hire was interesting. But his style of coaching (like Bobby Knight) will not work very well today. Every year it the sAme story with one exception.

I know a lot of people mention this. I don’t know if it’s the coaching style as much as it may just be a little too physical at practices and the effect that daily grind has....maybe similar to Muschamp in football. Few can make it to the end and the ones that do don’t seem to have the extra spring in the step.

It’s a hard balancing act for a coach. If you practice too hard you run the risk of not being sharp on gameday. Practice too little and your execution suffers. Frank should know this as well as anyone but my guess is practices are similar with the iron sharpens iron mentality.

Yeah, I've never said we should fire Martin. Never. But yesterday was inexcusable. If he can't win against a lousy Vandy team, he should head to Miami. He's reached his ceiling and the ceiling is the about the same as Odom.
Frank’s shot was definitely off yesterday; not at all like his shot was against the defending national champions at their place. I agree; if he’s not going to shoot any better than that he needs to hit the road.

Reactions: Expro19
Frank’s shot was definitely off yesterday; not at all like his shot was against the defending national champions at their place. I agree; if he’s not going to shoot any better than that he needs to hit the road.

Frank’s coaching was off, as it has been the majority of his tenure down the stretch each year. His teams have been no better than 5-5 in the last five years over the last ten games. Something has to change... either his coaching style, his recruitment, or him gone completely. What he’s doing currently ain’t cutting it.

I'm sorry, which person is being paid millions a year? Was it the guy who's shot was off yesterday or the guy who's shot was off this time last year? Or the year before? I'm just trying to figure out when Frank is responsible.

Some folks just refuse to blame the players. Franks offense had us with wide open looks all day. We just didn't make the shots we usually do. Even the announcers commented on how many wide open looks that we missed.. Players got to make plays at some point during the game and we stunk it up when it mattered. Lawson and Bolden were atrocious yesterday.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Right now, we are at an extreme disadvantage with a former great baseball coach who is a great fundraiser but a lousy AD when it comes to coaching hires and mismanagement of pay bonuses/extensions. The major men's programs are stuck in mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

Some folks just refuse to blame the players. Franks offense had us with wide open looks all day. We just didn't make the shots we usually do. Even the announcers commented on how many wide open looks that we missed.. Players got to make plays at some point during the game and we stunk it up when it mattered. Lawson and Bolden were atrocious yesterday.
Weird that we have the same issues at the end of the season EVERY YEAR.

Guess it's always the players.

Frank’s coaching was off, as it has been the majority of his tenure down the stretch each year. His teams have been no better than 5-5 in the last five years over the last ten games. Something has to change... either his coaching style, his recruitment, or him gone completely. What he’s doing currently ain’t cutting it.
Start with recruiting. We are not signing 4* athletes.

Reactions: uscalumni
Aren't those his players that he recruited and he said this was one of his better teams. The responsibility always goes to the top.

I'm sorry, which person is being paid millions a year? Was it the guy who's shot was off yesterday or the guy who's shot was off this time last year? Or the year before? I'm just trying to figure out when Frank is responsible.
You're wasting your time with this one. You may as well talk to a wall. To him it's always the players' and the fans' fault. It's never the HCs or the AD's fault (you know, the ones who are paid millions to win. Eyeroll)

Reactions: Cockish

What could Frank have coached into his team yesterday to make them make wide open shots that they usually make.. What could he have Coached into Lawson and Bolden to make them start hitting gimme jumpers

Aren't those his players that he recruited and he said this was one of his better teams. The responsibility always goes to the top.
Yes, and those same players have hit those shots in 19 other games this year so they are capable of doing it.. Lawson and Bolden were 2 for 300. A wide open 2 for 300. Frank can't coach the ball inti int basket. Players have to make shots.

Reactions: kidrobinski
What could Frank have coached into his team yesterday to make them make wide open shots that they usually make.. What could he have Coached into Lawson and Bolden to make them start hitting gimme jumpers
If Coach didn't act like a maniac, maybe he could recruit players that could hit those shots. At the end of the day, it is always on the coaches. This is especially true on the college level where the coaches make all of the money and are the the faces of programs.

If Coach didn't act like a maniac, maybe he could recruit players that could hit those shots. At the end of the day, it is always on the coaches. This is especially true on the college level where the coaches make all of the money and are the the faces of programs.
Those same players have made those easy jumpers all season.. I'll ask you the same question I asked earlier.. When is it ok to blame the players.. I guarantee you that our players didn't walk off the floor yesterday and say , Man Frank can't coach. They were saying.. we played like crap. We missed all those wide open shots..

Those same players have made those easy jumpers all season.. I'll ask you the same question I asked earlier.. When is it ok to blame the players.. I guarantee you that our players didn't walk off the floor yesterday and say , Man Frank can't coach. They were saying.. we played like crap. We missed all those wide open shots..
Doesn't matter that we have routinely had players that could hit shots in late January. Save for the Final Four season, the Frank Martin era has been one large chokefest. A coach can't run from his record in clutch games and we have routinely choked late in-conference with the worst example being this Saturday. Many of the coaches that have hung late season losses on Martin either don't have jobs anymore or have relocated because they got fired. If you can't win when it matters, what is the point?

Doesn't matter that we have routinely had players that could hit shots in late January. Save for the Final Four season, the Frank Martin era has been one large chokefest. A coach can't run from his record in clutch games and we have routinely choked late in-conference with the worst example being this Saturday. Many of the coaches that have hung late season losses on Martin either don't have jobs anymore or have relocated because they got fired. If you can't win when it matters, what is the point?
Players blame themselves, Fans blame coaches. Jmo

Reactions: kidrobinski
Players blame themselves, Fans blame coaches. Jmo
No, programs and organizations blame coaches. Prime example was this year in the NBA. John Beilein is a good coach that put himself in a bad situation with a bunch of immature players. Guess who lost their job? John Beilein. So, Martin can't continuously hide behind players missing shots. You get players that can, make the players you have more comfortable so they can, or lose your job.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Yes, and those same players have hit those shots in 19 other games this year so they are capable of doing it.. Lawson and Bolden were 2 for 300. A wide open 2 for 300. Frank can't coach the ball inti int basket. Players have to make shots.
Even Kotsar was missing the little gimmes around the basket; I remember commenting on this in the game thread. Sometimes they just don't fall in. Que sera.

This new generation of "fans" on here and on social media reminds me of Buddy on Friday Night Lights.

And I'll say this one mo' 'gin, and of course be chattered at. You give us an EVENLY called game, and we can play with anyone. We came out of the gate at Vandy with Frink getting ufc tag teamed under our basket with no whistle, only to go down the floor and get literally a touch (if that) call on Kotsar. To Martin's credit he chewed the official immediately, but you could see our player's exasperation right then, compounded as the game went on by what they were letting Pippen the 8th get away with the entire game. Do NOT think that doesn't mess with the player's heads.

Sometimes after the opening jump ball a basketball game breaks out, sometimes "officiating" breaks out.

Even Kotsar was missing the little gimmes around the basket; I remember commenting on this in the game thread. Sometimes they just don't fall in. Que sera.

This new generation of "fans" on here and on social media reminds me of Buddy on Friday Night Lights.

And I'll say this one mo' 'gin, and of course be chattered at. You give us an EVENLY called game, and we can play with anyone. We came out of the gate at Vandy with Frink getting ufc tag teamed under our basket with no whistle, only to go down the floor and get literally a touch (if that) call on Kotsar. To Martin's credit he chewed the official immediately, but you could see our player's exasperation right then, compounded as the game went on by what they were letting Pippen the 8th get away with the entire game. Do NOT think that doesn't mess with the player's heads.

Sometimes after the opening jump ball a basketball game breaks out, sometimes "officiating" breaks out.
You are complaining about what fans do. However, you are doing another thing that fans tend to do. Make excuses about the officiating. If this was a one game occurrence where shots weren't going in, that would be one thing. However, it is becoming comical how our basketball team does not come through in clutch games, and at some point, the coach has to be held in account for that. Prior to the game, I told my 15 year old son "you know we are losing this game, right." As we watched the game, all we could do was laugh. Our late February and March swoons are so bad that even Stevie Wonder can see it.

Last edited:
I'm all in for casting blame on players when it comes to a single game. But FM shoulders the holistic blame for not having our players coached up to beat the likes of Quad 4 (?) teams such as Stetson as well as the late season chokes that is the prototypical pattern of a FM coached team. Consequently, we go home with a positive SEC record but we don't go dancing...sigh.

If you asked 300 non USC fans why we lost the VANDY game all 300 would say the players missed too many wide open opportunities.. Zero would say it was coaching. Think about that.

If you asked 300 non USC fans why we lost the VANDY game all 300 would say the players missed too many wide open opportunities.. Zero would say it was coaching. Think about that.

I agree but one observation: it is the coaches who recruit those players who missed the wide open shots.

Reactions: 92Pony

Expo- I would also pose this question... are our coaches putting our players in the best position to win? IMO the answer is a solid no... our defensive style doesn't match with the talent level needed to operate game in and game out with that type of intensity. We end up in foul trouble, out of position on the dribble drive/ kick outs/ etc. Our guys are gassed by the end of every game and become sloppy from top to bottom, shooting with dead legs, undisciplined passing/decision making... all of these end up with taking "Ls" game after game.

Coaching plays more of a part in a W/L than I believe some give credit. See our football result against App St.- Coaching and developing your guys are why coaches are paid millions to do what they do.

Saturdays loss as well as several this year fall back on Frank. Period.

It's not even worth posting about hoops anymore. It's the same ole same ole. Martin Mafia want to do the "wait till next year!" which we hear every year. I was almost ready to say, on more, then Vandy happened and made me realize, it's always going to be wait till next year with Martin.

I agree but one observation: it is the coaches who recruit those players who missed the wide open shots.
If you agree we didn't lose the VANDY game for lack of talent we aren't that far off from agreeing

Expo- I would also pose this question... are our coaches putting our players in the best position to win? IMO the answer is a solid no... our defensive style doesn't match with the talent level needed to operate game in and game out with that type of intensity. We end up in foul trouble, out of position on the dribble drive/ kick outs/ etc. Our guys are gassed by the end of every game and become sloppy from top to bottom, shooting with dead legs, undisciplined passing/decision making... all of these end up with taking "Ls" game after game.

Coaching plays more of a part in a W/L than I believe some give credit. See our football result against App St.- Coaching and developing your guys are why coaches are paid millions to do what they do.

Saturdays loss as well as several this year fall back on Frank. Period.
I agree the defensive philosophy needs to change a little. Playing press man at half court baffles me. My whole argument is about this Vandy game. I get people's arguments about Franks total body of work. He needs to recruit better etc.. I don't necessarily agree with them on all of it. I'm just arguing this Vandy game. There is no way this game can be blamed on the coach that put you in position to make wide open shots that you failed to make.. Especially when they are capable of making those shots. Lawson and Boldens stunk it up and had their worst game of the season and that's what it took for Vandy to beat us

So if it wasn't for a lack of talent, it must be a lack of coaching?
No. The talent that was perfectly capable of making wide open shots failed to make them. The VANDY loss is on the players.. Frank has been questionable at other times but this game the players didn't produce. Lawson, Bolden.. cough...cough

If you asked imaginary people anything, I'm sure they wouldn't tell you anything because they're imaginary. Think about that.

Then he needs to recruit better players who are less likely to always falter in important games. Why do teams that consistently win and make the tourney have more of those type players, because their coach recruited them! Recruiting is on Frank, all on him! If he can't bring in better players that don't have 10 -12 of these bonehead games then we will never improve.

No. The talent that was perfectly capable of making wide open shots failed to make them. The VANDY loss is on the players.. Frank has been questionable at other times but this game the players didn't produce. Lawson, Bolden.. cough...cough
Ole expro will always blame the players, NEVER Frank. It starts with signing better players, whose fault is that expro?

We crapped ourselves today. We had a chance to beat the worst team in the SEC and lost. Win that game and I thought 2 SEC tourney wins (regardless of who) and we would be dancing.

Now it’s make history in Nashville or get ready for the NIT run.

Vandy was our play in game for the tournament. We don't deserve to be in it in my opinion.

Ole expro will always blame the players, NEVER Frank. It starts with signing better players, whose fault is that expro?
Fans will always blame the Coach.. Players play... We didn't lose the VANDY game by Coaching poorly. Others maybe but not the VANDY game

Fans will always blame the Coach.. Players play... We didn't lose the VANDY game by Coaching poorly. Others maybe but not the VANDY game
So who is responsible for recruiting a.higher level of player who makes less bad plays that plague us every single year? Is that the players fault too? Just curious whose shoulders that falls on.

So who is responsible for recruiting a.higher level of player who makes less bad plays that plague us every single year? Is that the players fault too? Just curious whose shoulders that falls on.
I don't know why it's so hard for you to understand. I'm talking about why we lost the VANDY game. I'm not talking about Firing Frank.. We lost the VANDY game because our players didn't make gimme shots. THE VANDY game was not lost due to poor coaching.. I couldn't care less if Frank stays or goes at this point but blaming him for that loss is just blind hatred for the man.

I don't know why it's so hard for you to understand. I'm talking about why we lost the VANDY game. I'm not talking about Firing Frank.. We lost the VANDY game because our players didn't make gimme shots. THE VANDY game was not lost due to poor coaching.. I couldn't care less if Frank stays or goes at this point but blaming him for that loss is just blind hatred for the man.
I didn't blame him for that game, I blame him for consistently recruiting less talented players who are prone to not making plays as needed to get us over the hump. The vandy game is just another example of HIS players not performing well enough or not having enough talent. That is all on Frank and no one else.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
If you agree we didn't lose the VANDY game for lack of talent we aren't that far off from agreeing

Sorry, I don’t agree. We need better talent from top to bottom so that if one or two are not shooting well then we could use one or two from the bench to step up.

Are you saying it was just bad luck? Bad coaching? The refs? Yes, we have some good players and I’m not sure why they didn’t play as well as they have done in the past. For example, do you have any idea why Bolden wasn’t playing well? Are the coaches putting them in wrong positions? Are some hurt?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT