ADVERTISEMENT

Assuming we did have a football head coaching vacancy....

I'd like to have a coach who is loved. However, I prefer one who wins. But, that's me.

Don't you think a coach needs more than two seasons before you conclude he could be described as "one who wins"? Especially since those two seasons are full of Florida Atlantics, South Carolina States, etc?

Reactions: SOSUSC
Don't you think a coach needs more than two seasons before you conclude he could be described as "one who wins"? Especially since those two seasons are full of Florida Atlantics, South Carolina States, etc?
He has taken what you refer to as his "minor Florida school" and gone 3-2 against Power 5 conference schools, losing by only 1 point on the road to one and by 8 points in a bowl game against LSU. Yet, you "like Napier" who also has two seasons and against a schedule full of Louisiana Monroes, Texas States, etc. Regardless, it's irrelevant because we don't have a vacancy.

Last edited:
Do you really think Heupel has the commanding presence to be a head coach at a large state university? I just don't see it. I don't see anything that makes me go "wow that is an impressive guy." For all his offensive failures, Muschamp presents well and looks like someone you would want to follow into battle.
One wins games. The other looks like a winner but is a loser. I'lltake the one that wins on the field before the lovable loser.

He has taken what you refer to as his "minor Florida school" and gone 3-2 against Power 5 conference schools, losing by only 1 point on the road to one and by 8 points in a bowl game against LSU. Yet, you "like Napier" who also has two seasons and against a schedule full of Louisiana Monroes, Texas States, etc. Regardless, it's irrelevant because we don't have a vacancy.

I don't like Napier because of his head coaching experience. I like him because he was mentored by Saban, Dabo and McElwein. All of whom seem to love him. Heupel's one claim to a top mentor is Stoops who bonded so closely he fired him. That history has a lot more to do with my preferences than anything either has done in their extremely short head coaching careers.

One wins games. The other looks like a winner but is a loser. I'lltake the one that wins on the field before the lovable loser.

Heupel has an extemely short head coaching career. It is basically five games long against decent teams. Not enough time to brand him a winner. Especially since he is 3-2 in those games.

Are you serious? Not if they are using real bullets. I'll have whatever you're drinking.

Heupel looks like Lumpy on Leave it to Beaver. Muschamp talks a real good game, is passionate about football and all. He looks like David Boranaz in one of those military TV shows like Seal Team or Valor.

I would love UM...but the SEC East already chewed him up and spit him out. He doesn't want anymore...especially at his age now vs. when he had more energy and whole lot more to prove.

I'm the idiot who has beaten this drum .... and will never stop. I think at ALL costs, despite the new contract given last year and all the other reasons why he "won't" consider USC.....we GO GET PJ Fleck.
A guy who thrives on challenges, a guy who can out-sell and coach Dabo....and a guy that isn't tied to a particular area or University. I think his current status/platform is a little past taking the NIU job. If you say he's partial to the Big Ten region...well OSU and PSU have young coaches that will likely be there a while should things continue like they've been going.

This is like UF going after SOS in '90. Similiarly with SOS.... whatever questions people had... whether he was a one or two hit wonder, etc....He's a proven he can QUICKLY turn programs around and compete at the highest levels with LESS. I think he would come in and make Carolina a 10 win program in the first year....and I do know how tough that is to do. Another couple 10 plus win seasons at Minnesota and he will be leaving for his next destination job and never leave (like that POS Dabo Swinney). I dont think that will be the NFL either. With the current climate and setup....he's a college guy 100%. His buy-in to the kids, the community involvement...he's 100% college coach material for his career. You have to match coaching/ person talent with it's match. We need it for conference play...and for our rival who happened to fall backwards into a pot of gold. Every day we don't have him is a day wasted, and a day another university is figuring a financial road to getting him.

There is no other guy. He is like Joe Morrison....except more dynamic and definitely a 2.0 version of the new coaching style that must have ASAP.

Well, he went 65-15 in the SEC with 2 national titles, so it's hard to say it chewed him up and spit him out. No, he wouldn't be here for 10 years.

Meyer is a sure thing. A guarantee to win. We would win an SEC title with Meyer.

Yeah, he's got his baggage, but he's one of 2 or 3 coaches out there who is an absolute lock to win games.

How in the world did Muschamp get on Tanner's radar? He was an unmitigated failure as a Head Coach at Florida. As I recall, his one-year stint as DC at Auburn was not impressive. What kind of DC was he at Texas? Was he a world-beater there?
No, his statistics have never matched the hype!

How in the world did Muschamp get on Tanner's radar? He was an unmitigated failure as a Head Coach at Florida. As I recall, his one-year stint as DC at Auburn was not impressive. What kind of DC was he at Texas? Was he a world-beater there?
Never forget Tanner also considered Rich Rod. If anyone ever thinks for a moment Tanner had any ability to hire a football coach always remember we ended up with Muschamp after talking to Rich Rod.

Never forget Tanner also considered Rich Rod. If anyone ever thinks for a moment Tanner had any ability to hire a football coach always remember we ended up with Muschamp after talking to Rich Rod.

With a head start, did Tanner pull off the best coaching search in history and land his top candidates? No.

But I still don’t believe he seriously considered Rich Rod. That was a publicity stunt cooked up by him and his agent to use the USC opening to obtain more favorable terms for him in Tucson.

I don't like Napier because of his head coaching experience. I like him because he was mentored by Saban, Dabo and McElwein. All of whom seem to love him. Heupel's one claim to a top mentor is Stoops who bonded so closely he fired him. That history has a lot more to do with my preferences than anything either has done in their extremely short head coaching careers.
Muschamp was mentored by the best of that group, Saban, as well as Mack Brown. That has not turned out well. Hopefully, it will. But, it has not yet. Who a coach has been mentored by means nothing if you can't produce on the field. Muschamp has yet to produce, being fired by Florida and being on the "hot seat" here. And as said, Stoops has said he erred in firing Heupel. Dabo soured on Napier and ran him off. But, I too like Napier. When all the smoke has cleared, not only has Heupel won 85% of his games, BUT , he took a group of far less talented players and won 60% of his games against Power 5 schools and coming close to being 5-0 against them. The fact that Yahoo Sports lists him in the upper tier of young Head Coaches in the nation, speaks volumes to me and to most on this thread. But, there's no opening now. And, hopefully, Muschamp will do well enough to make that a moot point. But, if an opening does develop, none of us have confidence in Tanner to pick anyone as highly regarded as either Heupel or Napier.

Last edited:
Reactions: howard13
Muschamp was mentored by the best of that group, Saban, as well as Mack Brown. That has not turned out well. Hopefully, it will. But, it has not yet. Who a coach has been mentored by means nothing if you can't produce on the field. Muschamp has yet to produce, being fired by Florida and being on the "hot seat" here. And as said, Stoops has said he erred in firing Heupel. Dabo soured on Napier and ran him off. But, I too like Napier. When all the smoke has cleared, not only has Heupel won 85% of his games, BUT , he took a group of far less talented players and won 60% of his games against Power 5 schools and coming close to being 5-0 against them. The fact that Yahoo Sports lists him in the upper tier of young Head Coaches in the nation, speaks volumes to me and to most on this thread. But, there's no opening now. And, hopefully, Muschamp will do well enough to make that a moot point. But, if an opening does develop, none of us have confidence in Tanner to pick anyone as highly regarded as either Heupel or Napier.
Dabo ran Napier off because their offense had stagnated. It was the right move at the time, Especially considering Morris came in and lit it up. It was the right move as every successful coach won't be equally successful in every situation.

Dabo ran Napier off because their offense had stagnated. It was the right move at the time, Especially considering Morris came in and lit it up. It was the right move as every successful coach won't be equally successful in every situation.
Yes. I'd take Napier in a split second if Muschamp continues his predominantly mediocre performance. Heupel and Napier would be home run hires, in my opinion. There is a reason why they are so high on Yahoo Sports list of top young Head Coaches in the nation.

i just cant believe one of yall aint the coach or the AD. one thing is for sure, yall always think we are one hire away from greatness and can never acknowledge how the roster had to be completely replenished and then rebuilt. we should have a really good defense this year and need a couple of playmakers on offense to show up to completely change things around. gotta get the 3rd and shorts to extend drives and keep d off the field, but otherwise, who doesnt understand that these are not the same teams we played in 2011 thru 2014. sos wasnt winning 11games against the teams we are playing now. not even close. some of yall live in lala land

Makes you wonder how he keeps getting highly rated QB commits. How the heck has he outrecruited SOS at the QB position? I suppose b/c it was scary to come and play for a QB legend who was notoriously hard on QBs. Obviously we're getting Gunner b/c of the Bobo/Shaw connection. Nothing to do with Champ.

Why people think it is a given that Gunner is coming is beyond me. The kid has a long time to go before he has to sign and i frankly would be shocked if he actually makes it to campus. If this year is a stinker, which many if not most people expect, why would anyone be super hopeful next year. You think gunner is coming to a team where the coach is on his last leg and there is very little talent that is being coached up around him? Two 5 stars at Clemson are starting this year. We apparently can’t coach up our 5 stars.

Napier was fired too. And he is not exactly coaching a football power at U-La-La. UCF is a better job by far. Heupel was also the runner-up to the Heisman as a QB in college at Oklahoma.

However, Heupel does not look like a guy who takes care of himself. He looks a little like "More Chins than Wins" Brad Scott. I think I'd pass on both of them and go after PJ Fleck hard. Maybe convince Tanner to retire and hire Coyle as AD to lure him down here. After that, I'd consider Shawn Elliott or make another run at Herman. The gloss of the Texas job has undoubtedly worn off by now. If Houston does well at ECU this year and next he should get a look.

Unless we've been sold a bill of goods on Champ's recruiting, whoever we hire is going to be just a few pieces short of a really good team. WR, RB and maybe safety and LB. The rest of it is there for the right coach.

Reactions: SOSUSC
IMHO, Jimmy Sexton, the agent, realized Tanner was hurting, and setup a match made in agent heaven. Muschamp was the SEC's guy too, and we know guys move around in the conference. It was an interesting dilemma. Satisfy the fans, everybody's agent, and/or the SEC coaching frat. So much for the fans. When he lost Herman, he was subject to the big guys pushing someone. They won.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Do you really think Heupel has the commanding presence to be a head coach at a large state university? I just don't see it. I don't see anything that makes me go "wow that is an impressive guy." For all his offensive failures, Muschamp presents well and looks like someone you would want to follow into battle.

Follow Muschamp into battle? Are you crazy?? Muschamp is full of talk and nothing to back it up. If you cannot see through the fluff, then that is disappointing.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
IMHO, Jimmy Sexton, the agent, realized Tanner was hurting, and setup a match made in agent heaven. Muschamp was the SEC's guy too, and we know guys move around in the conference. It was an interesting dilemma. Satisfy the fans, everybody's agent, and/or the SEC coaching frat. So much for the fans. When he lost Herman, he was subject to the big guys pushing someone. They won.

Sexton dangled Kirby in front of Ray, and then got UGA excited. He got Kirby a bigger pay day at UGA, and then pulled Muschamp from his hip pocket and presented him to Ray who had no options at that point. Ray got played. JMO from what I can see. It is not the first time Ray has got played.

Muschamp will do well. You must be seeing something a lot of us do not. Are you clairvoyant?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
8 years as a head coach. When "will" that happen?
Hey, I'm with you guys. I have said that Muschamp has to get it done this year or else. Others have said because of our revenue shortage we are stuck with him through next season. I hope that's not true, if he has another mediocre year. We will then be in a hole. I'm NO fan of Muschamp the coach. We need an offensive-minded Head Coach in this era of high-powered college offenses. The old adage that "defense wins championships" is no longer the case. Offense does.

I agree with everything you said about PJ Fleck, but I don't see why he would consider taking this job at this particular time. The honest brutal truth is that should USC end up at 3-7 at the conclusion of this season, it would look like a step down.
Our best option is to consider up and coming coaches who are looking to make their mark in a P5 program. Whether that will happen remains to be seen.
Understood....but with Fleck's unyielding stance against "no win" situations and his approach to taking on the bully on the block....he's just the perfect fit. I think we should promote, and believe he would like the idea of coming in and being able to put his name on TOP of a couple HOF coaches like Spurrier and Holtz, as well as near greats gone to soon (RIP Morrison) in the win column after about a decade.
I know I'm dreaming...and I understand the financial and societal climate of today's world. That's why I think he's a must have right now.....perfect time to ascend. I'm not worried about his recruiting or his ability to attract the proper players and coaches....he's shown he can do that.

What is getting lost in the PJ Fleck conversation is that he just signed a 7 year extension in November. So if the rumors are to be believed that the athletic department is low on funds, then this would put Fleck completely out of reach.
I know he just re-signed....previous thread we went over that ad nauseum. I know it's mortgage the future...I think we're at that point with the football (and ultimately) the athletic program. Football drives everything, and getting the best coach in American before the other 90% of America figures it out must be priority #1.

Tony Elliott. What is not to like? He's a hot prospect, an African American hire, which is right on many levels, including our AD's legacy, which he is surely thinking about now. Ray can certainly not be accused of hiring a loser as HC. And flipping a Clemson guy to USC would be something.

Elliott knows offense. We don't. He is a winner. He can recruit this area. He knows how to beat Clemson. Removing him from Tigertown helps destabilize that program. He gets out of Dabo's shadow in the best way possible.....beating him eventually. He has seen how it is done in the most successful program in recent years.
by this logic the 1,343 assistants Saban has sent through the portal should all know how to beat him then.

Assuming we did have a head coaching vacancy, who might you be interested in having lead us? Next time around, we have to try something that we have not done since Sparky Woods. A young up and coming head coach. We cannot go the coordinator route, nor should we go the elderly former legend. A handful of names are below:

https://sports.yahoo.com/coaching-c...s-to-watch-in-college-football-135310081.html

You need two vacancy's to take place first before any changes are made...

Replace Tanner and then Muschamp.... I wouldn't want to hire a football coach without an experience AD in place and they can pick out his own head coach or bring in his own head coach.... You need a strong AD to bring in a very good coach....

AD's always has a list in their desk just in case his coach leaves, dies, retires or close to retirement...

Reactions: broken_cock_
We also tried the young up-and-comer with Brad Scott.

If you want a guarantee to win, there's one name out there to get you that: Urban Meyer. Setting aside whatever we think about the man, he does one thing every single place he goes: win. Urban would get us an SEC title. Every other move is a gamble. Urban is a flat-out guarantee.
Lol...he is way above the Carolina job..

Nobody wants to hear it, but Hugh Freeze is the way to go. He would come, he is a really good coach.

People who talk about Fleck and other guys doing well in middling programs just don’t get it. Why would any of those guys come here? This is a tough job.

This is a middling program, We are not consistently inside the top 25 of teams in the nation. We are in probably the second or 3rd toughest division in all of CFB.

We are probably 8-10 spots down on the list of Schools that we recruit against in our boarder states. We win some battles for recruits, but it is tough sledding. When Miami and Auburn move into the top 10, over half of the top 10 will be in boarder states (or very close) to SC. UF, Miami, UGA, CU, Aub, and Ala.

Most neutral observers are going to have UT, UF and UGA ahead of us as far as historically good programs with better resources and higher expectations.

Whoever comes here will have a challenge. They have to have a certain desperation / willingness to take on the odds attitude. It is totally why Will came, he didn’t have any other options.

Insert Hugh Freeze.

Understood....but with Fleck's unyielding stance against "no win" situations and his approach to taking on the bully on the block....he's just the perfect fit. I think we should promote, and believe he would like the idea of coming in and being able to put his name on TOP of a couple HOF coaches like Spurrier and Holtz, as well as near greats gone to soon (RIP Morrison) in the win column after about a decade.
I know I'm dreaming...and I understand the financial and societal climate of today's world. That's why I think he's a must have right now.....perfect time to ascend. I'm not worried about his recruiting or his ability to attract the proper players and coaches....he's shown he can do that.
I recommended Fleck in previous posts but not sure he would come. Same with their AD. Minnesota has Big 10 $$ and an easier path to a conference championship IMO. They could match the $$ we would throw at him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT