ADVERTISEMENT

Assuming we did have a football head coaching vacancy....

Me
We also tried the young up-and-comer with Brad Scott.

If you want a guarantee to win, there's one name out there to get you that: Urban Meyer. Setting aside whatever we think about the man, he does one thing every single place he goes: win. Urban would get us an SEC title. Every other move is a gamble. Urban is a flat-out guarantee.
Meyer would be here for 4 years max, then we are right back to where we started looking for another coach. Not to mention we wouldn't win a national title or conference title in those for years and have 6 players arrested. And another 4-6 kicked off by the new coach.

What is getting lost in the PJ Fleck conversation is that he just signed a 7 year extension in November. So if the rumors are to be believed that the athletic department is low on funds, then this would put Fleck completely out of reach.
Fleck has a 10 mil buy out plus is making 4.6 mil. To hire him here he would be over 5 mil, then we have to fire the staff, unsure of their buyout numbers, and pay the new staff. He's a no go at this point.

Reactions: The Gadfly
Me

Meyer would be here for 4 years max, then we are right back to where we started looking for another coach. Not to mention we wouldn't win a national title or conference title in those for years and have 6 players arrested. And another 4-6 kicked off by the new coach.
There is ZERO chance Meyer would ever take the HC position here. He has succeeded at schools with perennial top 10 resources, tradition, recruiting and facilities, which isn’t us. If he ever leaves the TV booth it will be for Notre Dame or Southern Cal. He couldn’t deal with the stress of post-Tebow UF’s mediocrity, our job would break him like he was Apollo Creed taking on Ivan Drago.

There is ZERO chance Meyer would ever take the HC position here. He has succeeded at schools with perennial top 10 resources, tradition, recruiting and facilities, which isn’t us. If he ever leaves the TV booth it will be for Notre Dame or Southern Cal. He couldn’t deal with the stress of post-Tebow UF’s mediocrity, our job would break him like he was Apollo Creed taking on Ivan Drago.
I agree that he's probably never coming here and is more than likely done with coaching in general. But he won big at Bowling Green and Utah, both whom had almost none of those perks you brought up.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I agree that no one will be fired this year. It will be after the 2021 season before SC will make a change and it might be after the 2022 season just so we will have 2 years in the black to make up for 2020.

But, having said that, these are my favorites:

PJ Fleck
Josh Heupel
Billy Napier
Shawn Elliott
Neal Brown
Mike Houston
Will Healy

Shawn Elliott and Will Healy are the two most interesting guys on the list. Will Healy is young but only has experience at smaller schools. Could he handle a high profile job?

Shawn Elliott has big school experience and has done okay at Georgia State. He has not had a signature win yet. He did take Billy Napier's squad to OT last week but lost by a FG.

Mike Houston was the head coach at the Citadel in 2015 when they beat us in Columbia. He has won everywhere and is now HC at East Carolina. Last year they were 4-8, but he bears watching.

Neal Brown is the HC at West Virginia after previously coaching at Troy. While at Troy they beat LSU in Baton Rouge. Also one to watch.

PJ Fleck would be my first choice followed by Josh Heupel - although Heupel might have better recruiting ties to the SE. I'd be happy with either one.

Elliott’s win over UT last year for a school like ga st is pretty impressive.

Reactions: paladin181
I'd call Bob Stoops just to see if he has any interest. He did agree to coach in that pro league that ended up going under. Maybe he still has the fire to coach. I would definitely call all the big time coaches just to get a list of people that they think are good candidates. Maybe Will Healy is somewhere in there. He'd jump at the job right now.

Yeah? How about his losses to Western Michigan, Texas State, Louisiana Monroe, App, Georgia Southern and Wyoming?

I was just replying to a post where someone said Elliott hadn’t had a signature win. I’m not advocating bring him in as a head coach for us. Will Muschamp beat Georgia last year, there’s many fans call that a signature win but there was no follow up to it so it doesn’t move the needle.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Yeah? How about his losses to Western Michigan, Texas State, Louisiana Monroe, App, Georgia Southern and Wyoming?
You are aware that Georgia State is only a 10 year old program and that they have had 3 winning seasons (of which Elliott has two) and won 1 bowl game (which was the Elliott coaches team). So in essence at Georgia State where they are the guys teams pay to beat Elliott has the same number of winning seasons and same number of bowl wins as Muschamp has had here where we pay to play teams like Ga State to try and pad the win total.

Apples and Aardvarks. We in theory should have SEC talent. Ga State‘a highest ranked class in school history is 95.
Just saying that every Squirrell eventually finds a nut. One nut doesn’t mean he is prepared for the winter.

You are aware that Georgia State is only a 10 year old program and that they have had 3 winning seasons (of which Elliott has two) and won 1 bowl game (which was the Elliott coaches team). So in essence at Georgia State where they are the guys teams pay to beat Elliott has the same number of winning seasons and same number of bowl wins as Muschamp has had here where we pay to play teams like Ga State to try and pad the win total.

His next job should be at a MAC school or some other GO5 school. If he overachieves there, we give him a look.

I'd call Bob Stoops just to see if he has any interest. He did agree to coach in that pro league that ended up going under. Maybe he still has the fire to coach. I would definitely call all the big time coaches just to get a list of people that they think are good candidates. Maybe Will Healy is somewhere in there. He'd jump at the job right now.

no more old coaches who will likely retire again in 3-4 years

We also tried the young up-and-comer with Brad Scott.

If you want a guarantee to win, there's one name out there to get you that: Urban Meyer. Setting aside whatever we think about the man, he does one thing every single place he goes: win. Urban would get us an SEC title. Every other move is a gamble. Urban is a flat-out guarantee.
Yep let's get (Urban) so he can pull a spurrier on us..

If you are talking current head coaches we might be able to get, then Bill Clark, Luke Fickell, Will Healy, Blake Anderson, Billy Napier, Mike Houston, Josh Heupel or Jeff Monken. If we are looking at coordinators, Venables, Elliott, Graham Harrell, Sarkisian or take a chance on Joe Brady, despite his youth.
Yeah...Stoops and U. Meyer speak is just wasting all our time and energy. Never happening. Nothing to gain from their side, and neither wants any part of what we have to offer.....which would be very little.
Two names.
Sure bet: Jan. 1 2021, go hire PJ Fleck with his reduced buyout. I believe WM's buyout decreases signficantly after this 2020 season as well. Not sure of the contractual language...but if we're done in late Nov (which we will be) and the season is done - make the move.

Small gamble/maybe the most upside: Joe Brady. What do we have to lose? Only downside is that he may be most interested in NFL work now that he's spent half his young coaching tenure in the NFL. But...you never know what he is looking for long term unless you approach and ask. Maybe our program is just what he's looking for. It's still a program you can put a stamp on as YOUR program as the HC. As great as their time was.....Lou Holtz is ND. SOS is UF. Morrison's life was struck down far too quickly....probably would've been his program for this generation but luck intervened. Side note...Joe was one of the early proponents of run and shoot offense. So, between Morrison and SOS...our football fate in the last 35 years aligns with throwing the football so maybe Brady is a perfect fit.

Reactions: howard13
Yeah...Stoops and U. Meyer speak is just wasting all our time and energy. Never happening. Nothing to gain from their side, and neither wants any part of what we have to offer.....which would be very little.
Two names.
Sure bet: Jan. 1 2021, go hire PJ Fleck with his reduced buyout. I believe WM's buyout decreases signficantly after this 2020 season as well. Not sure of the contractual language...but if we're done in late Nov (which we will be) and the season is done - make the move.

Small gamble/maybe the most upside: Joe Brady. What do we have to lose? Only downside is that he may be most interested in NFL work now that he's spent half his young coaching tenure in the NFL. But...you never know what he is looking for long term unless you approach and ask. Maybe our program is just what he's looking for. It's still a program you can put a stamp on as YOUR program as the HC. As great as their time was.....Lou Holtz is ND. SOS is UF. Morrison's life was struck down far too quickly....probably would've been his program for this generation but luck intervened. Side note...Joe was one of the early proponents of run and shoot offense. So, between Morrison and SOS...our football fate in the last 35 years aligns with throwing the football so maybe Brady is a perfect fit.

Even with reduced buyouts, that a TON of money to be throwing around for a school that has furloughed employees to cut costs.

I would like to see Jeff Hafley interviewed. New coach at Boston College. I watched some of their game Saturday against UNC. They played really well. He has quite the pedigree for a 40 year old.

Think we probably missed the boat on Satterfield when he was at App State. Will Healy is someone to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
Even with reduced buyouts, that a TON of money to be throwing around for a school that has furloughed employees to cut costs.
Excellent point. It would be an epic injustice to say, "we can't bring you back in to work because we have to hire a new football coach."

Look, Muschamp acts and talks like a man who knows he can't/won't be fired for any reason whatsoever. We are just going to have to hope for the best and live with the results until things get back to normal.

Fleck's buyout is manageable. It is 10 million this year and drops to 4.5 million after the 2021 season.

Who cares if he dresses funny - he wins games.
He's literally the best football coach in America right now not named Belichik or Saban. This will become harder to dispute in the next 2 years. WE NEED TO JUMP ON HIM AT 12:00 and 1 second AM on 1/1/2021.

We shouldn't worry about paying him to get him here. If we can snag him, we need to start immediately planning on how we will re-sign him and fend off the NFL and other top programs in the country. He is a more sure thing top flight HC in college football than Swinney was; many recognized that Swinney was likely to be what he became if all things fell right, and Fleck is way more dynamic, with way more upside.

Me

JComp I like a lot of your posts- but UM just won't happen here...and we wouldn't want it.
He ran from the SEC one time....and that was with the most talented roster ever assembled at UF. That's saying something too. He had one of the greatest collegiate players of all time (AND had him at QB). He would have another "health encounter" if he tried to coach in the SEC again. I was a fan of his as a coach....but he could've come many times to the SEC and hasn't made it back yet for a reason. If he would coach again, it would only be at a cush spot where the competition is (relatively speaking) easy compared to the harder conferences: ND or Southern Cal

Excellent point. It would be an epic injustice to say, "we can't bring you back in to work because we have to hire a new football coach."

Look, Muschamp acts and talks like a man who knows he can't/won't be fired for any reason whatsoever. We are just going to have to hope for the best and live with the results until things get back to normal.
One thing to remember is that buyouts aren't generally paid in one lump sum. They're paid in installments. (IIRC, Florida only recently stopped paying his buyout from there.)

Also, like everything else, they are negotiable. We could easily say, "We can pay you the full cost of your buyout in smaller payments over 6 or 7 years, OR we can pay you half in 2 or 3 years." Give him the option.

He's literally the best football coach in America right now not named Belichik or Saban. This will become harder to dispute in the next 2 years. WE NEED TO JUMP ON HIM AT 12:00 and 1 second AM on 1/1/2021.

We shouldn't worry about paying him to get him here. If we can snag him, we need to start immediately planning on how we will re-sign him and fend off the NFL and other top programs in the country. He is a more sure thing top flight HC in college football than Swinney was; many recognized that Swinney was likely to be what he became if all things fell right, and Fleck is way more dynamic, with way more upside.
I don't think a razzle dazzle cheerleader coach like Fleck will go over too well in the NFL. But I'd sure like to give him a try here. The way to get him here would be to hire his AD - Coyles is his name I think.

Urban is a high-risk, high-reward for both parties. He's as close to a sure thing as there is in the coaching profession. If he comes here and can't get it done, this job would be toxic. Nobody would touch it.

From his perspective, he doesn't want to risk coming to an end like Spurrier. However, if he got us an SEC title, you'd have to ask if he had the best coaching career of any coach ever.

Guys, you have to quit kidding yourselves. Meyer and Fleck AREN'T happening. They're in better situations right now than they'd be in South Carolina. Meyer could have basically any college coaching job in American he wanted, outside of Alabama, Clemson, and Georgia. USC seriously wants him and were floating the idea of offering him $10 million a year and was told there was no way. Fleck is one of the hottest commodities out there, but is making a ton of money (which South Carolina can't afford right now with COVID and Muskrat's buyout) at a better program than South Carolina where he has their undying loyalty.

If I'm looking for the next coach, I'm looking at Bennett Presser and Jeff Monken first and foremost. Both are amazing coaches who have done a ton at their schools. Coastal just joined FBS and are a legitimate team (they'd beat South Carolina). And that Army is nationally relevant is amazing. If I want a high risk, high reward, I'm looking at Joe Brady, who South Carolina could get pretty easily. Get him a good defensive coordinator and they could be a great team and recruiting weapon.

I certainly don't view Meyer as realistic, but he's a sure thing. If I'm the AD, I start at the top and work my way down.

The reality is there's nobody we would want who doesn't have better options.

When we do have a vacancy, the key is finding someone who will view this job as a destination and not a stepping stone. Even if we did land Herman instead of Muschamp, there was no way he was going to be here for longer than 3 years. He was always ultimately going to end up at Texas or Texas A&M. He was supposedly having communication with LSU at the time as well. Timing will also be crucial. We don't want it to be in a year when many other SEC (or Power 5 in general) schools have vacancies. As much as people wanted Muschamp fired last year, we would've had to compete with Ole Miss, Miss St, FSU, Arkansas, Washington, Washington St, Baylor, Boston College, and Michigan State, among others. Not to say that we couldn't compete with any of those schools for a particular coach, but that's some stiff competition. Check back in 6 years and see how many of those coaches are still there. I wasn't a fan of the Muschamp hire, but on paper he seemed like a good fit for USC. Herman and Smart used us as a pawn to get their dream jobs. I've heard that Lincoln Riley wanted the job, but Tanner didn't think he had the experience. I don't know how factual that is, but if that's true, we flat out swung and missed there. Muschamp appreciated the fact that he was getting a 2nd chance in the SEC, and I was at least willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he could use Florida as a learning experience. So far, it hasn't worked out. I'm not saying he should remain our coach after this year, I'm just saying that when you a hire a new coach, the probability is higher that you'll end up with a Muschamp, Taggert, Bielema, Davis (Butch), McElwain, Zook, or Pelini than you will a Saban, Meyer, Mullen, Stoops, or Swinney.

When we do have a vacancy, the key is finding someone who will view this job as a destination and not a stepping stone. Even if we did land Herman instead of Muschamp, there was no way he was going to be here for longer than 3 years. He was always ultimately going to end up at Texas or Texas A&M. He was supposedly having communication with LSU at the time as well. Timing will also be crucial. We don't want it to be in a year when many other SEC (or Power 5 in general) schools have vacancies. As much as people wanted Muschamp fired last year, we would've had to compete with Ole Miss, Miss St, FSU, Arkansas, Washington, Washington St, Baylor, Boston College, and Michigan State, among others. Not to say that we couldn't compete with any of those schools for a particular coach, but that's some stiff competition. Check back in 6 years and see how many of those coaches are still there. I wasn't a fan of the Muschamp hire, but on paper he seemed like a good fit for USC. Herman and Smart used us as a pawn to get their dream jobs. I've heard that Lincoln Riley wanted the job, but Tanner didn't think he had the experience. I don't know how factual that is, but if that's true, we flat out swung and missed there. Muschamp appreciated the fact that he was getting a 2nd chance in the SEC, and I was at least willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he could use Florida as a learning experience. So far, it hasn't worked out. I'm not saying he should remain our coach after this year, I'm just saying that when you a hire a new coach, the probability is higher that you'll end up with a Muschamp, Taggert, Bielema, Davis (Butch), McElwain, Zook, or Pelini than you will a Saban, Meyer, Mullen, Stoops, or Swinney.
We must use different paper because Muschamp was the worst fit possible. A loser plus a loser = a loser.

We must use different paper because Muschamp was the worst fit possible. A loser plus a loser = a loser.
There's no doubt it wasn't a great hire. We wanted Herman, couldn't get him. We wanted Smart, couldn't get him. Riley apparently wanted us, Tanner didn't want him. Muschamp was the third choice. If he gets canned this year, at least he'll leave a better roster for the next guy than he inherited.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Freeze ran a dirty program at Ole Miss. Why would we invite that here?

It’s sad to see comments like this. Why would we not demand excellence? I graduated Carolina in 2005, and consider the university a huge part of my life. My friends and fellow alumni are family to me. When Spurrier took over the motto was, “Why Not Us?”, because we had the resources and desire to win. That hasn’t changed.

President Caslen and the BOT need to start demanding the very best for our university and our athletic programs. Ray Tanner has been a big asset to the university, but he has mismanaged the hire of WM and added to his mistake with a contract extension. If he is unwilling to make the changes necessary, both positions need to be evaluated now.

You are missing the point! The root cause of all our debacles is Ray. He needs to go first. The man is out of his depth and does not know how to fix it. I hate to see Ray and WM (and now Bobo) being rewarded for the suffering inflicted on this University. My heart bleeds for my Gamecocks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT