ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn Did Its Football Coaching Hire Right

Not to defend him (at all), but the OP is just a little kid.
Really? He has over 16,000 posts. Must have started in the womb.

Doesn't change the fact that every single post in his history is something negative about our current head coach or his desire to have a different head coach.

Reactions: Brutal Rooster
Really? He has over 16,000 posts. Must have started in the womb.

Doesn't change the fact that every single post in his history is something negative about our current head coach or his desire to have a different head coach.
I believe your reference was to me. Don't know what the guy you replied to said and don't care since I have had him on "IGNORE" going back to the spring because I have no respect for him (and, by the way, the ONLY member here I have on "IGNORE" and will remain so).

I believe if you check my posts you will see that Beamer was not my preference BUT, I did later say (BEFORE the season started) that the hire grew on me and became enthusiastic about the hire and I suspected he could succeed here. Now, I have been very critical and disappointed of some of the coaching since Game One. And I'm not the only one. When some called for his firing after this season, I said that's crazy because he will be given a fair shot to succeed. I also believed he should win 4, possibly 5 games. He has now exceeded my expectations. I believe going to a bowl should boost his recruiting, which thus far has been on par with Muschamp's, which we all want to see do better, and KNOW needs to. Now does that mean I don't believe changes need to be made on his offensive staff, which I have been calling for awhile now? NO. I have been complimentary about his hires on the defensive side of the ball (compared White to Ellis Johnson, which I believe is a great compliment) But not the offensive side, for quite awhile now. We rank 48th in Total Defense out of 130 teams. I think that's good. We rank 111th in Total Offense. And although we won the game last night, our offense did not match the total yards on offense that Auburn's defense had averaged giving up. You can draw your own conclusions as to whether changes will need to be made on the offensive side. Mine has not changed.

I believe your reference was to me. Don't know what the guy you replied to said and don't care since I have had him on "IGNORE" going back to the spring because I have no respect for him (and, by the way, the ONLY member here I have on "IGNORE" and will remain so).

I believe if you check my posts you will see that Beamer was not my preference BUT, I did later say (BEFORE the season started) that the hire grew on me and became enthusiastic about the hire and I suspected he could succeed here. Now, I have been very critical and disappointed of some of the coaching since Game One. And I'm not the only one. When some called for his firing after this season, I said that's crazy because he will be given a fair shot to succeed. I also believed he should win 4, possibly 5 games. He has now exceeded my expectations. I believe going to a bowl should boost his recruiting, which thus far has been on par with Muschamp's, which we all want to see do better, and KNOW needs to. Now does that mean I don't believe changes need to be made on his offensive staff, which I have been calling for awhile now? NO. I have been complimentary about his hires on the defensive side of the ball (compared White to Ellis Johnson, which I believe is a great compliment) But not the offensive side, for quite awhile now. We rank 48th in Total Defense out of 130 teams. I think that's good. We rank 111th in Total Offense. And although we won the game last night, our offense did not match the total yards on offense that Auburn's defense had averaged giving up. You can draw your own conclusions as to whether changes will need to be made on the offensive side. Mine has not changed.
What he said is that you were a kid. It would be strange for a kid to have 16,000 posts and a joining year of 2,000. I was referencing that more than anything.

Reactions: lakemurraycock1
A kid who joined the forum in July, 2000? Lol.

What he said is that you were a kid. It would be strange for a kid to have 16,000 posts and a joining year of 2,000. I was referencing that more than anything.
LOL. Sometimes, I wish I was still a kid. But going through the dating scene and "rat race" of the work world again????? Think I'll pass on that.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

Definitely new OL coach, still on the fence about Satterfield.

Maybe he inherited the account. 😂

Much to his father or grandfather's shame. 🙂

Edit: One really funny aspect is that I had to walk him through how to use the ignore feature in the middle of his tantrum, so he could use it on me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: funktavious
But they did everything so RIGHT!
Haha, well, just goes to show you you never truly know what’s going to happen.
Really puts them in a tough spot though, how do you justify paying $40m for 2 coaches not to coach you?
Maybe it ends up less than that but there will be costs associated with a buyout negotiation and I bet would still be about $30m.

It’s an ugly business sometimes

Reactions: DarkCock
Wow, this did not age well. That's why I try to have a "wait and see". Only time will tell if the coach will be successful or if he'll be a good fit.

I like when people bump old threads. There is no accountability making comments in the moment but as time passes the post is seen through a much different lens.

That hire is a disaster and they’re looking to get rid of him without paying him.

They went out and hired a coach with head coaching experience. A Head Football Coach who won 4 conference championships in 8 years, plus 3 division championships in 3 of the other 4 seasons. The hiring authorities at Auburn did not care whether the new coach had recruiting ties in that part of the country. They went out and hired a young, successful coach who will establish recruiting ties. He is 44 years of age. Saban is 69 and has a lot fewer years ahead of him than behind. Kudos to Auburn.
To be fair I like that you went out on a limb. We’ve all been wrong at something If we post enough on this board. No shame in that, although the masses will pile on. Brush it off man. It doesn’t really matter what anyone else thinks

To be fair I like that you went out on a limb. We’ve all been wrong at something If we post enough on this board. No shame in that, although the masses will pile on. Brush it off man. It doesn’t really matter what anyone else thinks
It's no biggie. It honestly does not bother me at all. I just have always preferred an experienced Head Coach with proven success, just like I will if Frank Martin steps aside. I've gone out on a limb with some investments, having hits and misses, thankfully more hits than misses. Now investment misses do bother me. But even then, not for long.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
It's no biggie. It honestly does not bother me at all. I just have always preferred an experienced Head Coach with proven success, just like I will if Frank Martin steps aside. I've gone out on a limb with some investments, having hits and misses, thankfully more hits than misses. Now investment misses do bother me. But even then, not for long.
Same here. And I would have thought things would have worked out better than they have at Auburn. I think the biggest issue he’s had is the difference in the regions.

Same here. And I would have thought things would have worked out better than they have at Auburn. I think the biggest issue he’s had is the difference in the regions.

Agree and disagree. I thought he would have done better too, but I think his biggest problem was batsh!t crazy donors who meddle more than any other school I've ever seen.

Harsin could be considered a "home run hire"....just like a few others (Fuentes/Herman).

Stuff happens....Ray went cheap & maybe AU will hire Boom!

4863e4ec-8b54-499d-a16c-dccad26e8d3b-FLGAI-100320-UFvs.SCarolin_3.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Harsin could be considered a "home run hire"....just like a few others (Fuentes/Herman).

Stuff happens....Ray went cheap & maybe AU will hire Boom!

4863e4ec-8b54-499d-a16c-dccad26e8d3b-FLGAI-100320-UFvs.SCarolin_3.JPG
Yep there are no guarantees. I just think about the last few coaches here.

I knew Holtz was an upgrade from Fat Brad, but we could debate how successful Lou was. Spurrier was a home run hire and it took a while, but he delivered…even if it didn’t end pretty. Muschamp sucked beginning, middle and end. Those that took the bait on the one good season refused to see that was beating up on midgets (nothing wrong with midgets though….this page loves them).

I like Beamer. I wasn’t sold on the hire. I think he got about all he could possibly get out of the talent he had. The talent has been upgraded and I expect a nice leap forward this year. Can he keep the momentum is the big question.

One of the worst coaching hires ever? :oops:

Probably. It just goes to show that X’s and O’s are only a small part of being a head coach. Harsin definitely knows how to coach, and seems to be good at player development as well. Too bad for him that wasn’t nearly enough

Reactions: king ward
I mostly post over at Gamecock Central. But, I've come over here. at this time, because I figured that someone would bring up this thread.

I started this thread on October 16 last year after we won on a last minute field goal against mid-major East Carolina, struggled against mid-major Troy at home and (on October 16) beat lowly Vanderbilt by one point at home on a last minute drive. My thoughts then and my thoughts today were and are that you have the best chances for success if you hire a Head Coach who has had successful Head Coaching experience at the FBS level.

If you look at our football history going back 60 years, when we have had success (accomplishing "firsts" for us.....winning a conference championship, winning 8 games in a season, winning 10 games in a season and going as high as #2 in the nation, finishing in the Top 25, finishing in the Top 10), it has been with Head Coaches who had previous success as FBS Head Coaches. Of course one could say that Brad Scott accomplished a "first" by winning a bowl game. But that was one game. The others achieved over the course of seasons. The fact is that Dietzel, Carlin, Morrison, Holtz and Spurrier accomplished more than Richard Bell, Sparky Woods, Brad Scott and Will Muschamp, who were unmitigated failures as FBS Head Coaches.

Like I said, I mostly post and stay at Gamecock Central. On May 24 of this year over there, I posted that I was wrong about the Harsin hire. I repeated that I was wrong about that hire on September 24 of this year, at that site, And I repeated that I was wrong about that hire today, at Gamecock Central. But, as I stated above, I still believe that you have the best chance of achieving success by hiring someone who has done it before at the FBS level. But that does not mean that such coaches will always work out. It just means that you improve the ODDS for success.

Hopefully, Beamer will work out for us and break the streak of inexperienced and/or previous failed FBS Head Coaches who did not work out for Carolina. To do that though, I believe he will have to bring in a new Offensive Coordinator.

Probably. It just goes to show that X’s and O’s are only a small part of being a head coach. Harsin definitely knows how to coach, and seems to be good at player development as well. Too bad for him that wasn’t nearly enough
Round peg in a square hole. As one coach said, "Auburn is the worst good job in the country".

He's Auburn's Richard Bell.
Seems obvious coach-player relationships have dramatically changed in the last 40 yrs.
The "likeable" cheerleader/CEO type of HC may be the best model for success (with exceptions/Saban).
One reason why Shane may eventually prove successful at USC (if he gets his offense fixed).

They went out and hired a coach with head coaching experience. A Head Football Coach who won 4 conference championships in 8 years, plus 3 division championships in 3 of the other 4 seasons. The hiring authorities at Auburn did not care whether the new coach had recruiting ties in that part of the country. They went out and hired a young, successful coach who will establish recruiting ties. He is 44 years of age. Saban is 69 and has a lot fewer years ahead of him than behind. Kudos to Auburn.
My my my…….this one did not age well

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT