ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn Did Its Football Coaching Hire Right

We will see how it goes, but Harsin did hire two experienced and successful coordinators on the offense and defense. That helps a lot.
I mean isn't that the key to the whole thing.Auburn opened their checkbook to hire proven coordinators while Ray hired on the cheap.You get what you pay for.

I mean isn't that the key to the whole thing.Auburn opened their checkbook to hire proven coordinators while Ray hired on the cheap.You get what you pay for.
Beamer hired who he wanted...or who he could attract. Beamer had Friend as OL coach before he bollted to another job....and then he hired Adkins. Beamer had the Auburn OC but didn't want him....and then hired Satterfield. IIRC any contracts over one year have to have BOT approval....Beamer chose to hire little known coaches for most positions....can't lay that at anyone's feet but his own.

We’ll see in 3 years. He has ‘Nix for maybe one more year and by then it will be what he brings to the team. They’ve been in the 7 to 12 range recruiting under Malzahn. I’m not saying Harsin won’t be successful but he’s remodeling not rebuilding.
Good post. Recruiting in the South will ultimately tell the tale.

Reactions: rogue cock
After 2013 if we would have had Spurrier retire and hired a new coach we would have had many top notch choices. We screwed that one up with Ray begging Spurrier to stay until he ran it into the ground and then hiring Muschamp who put us back to the days of Brad Scott's latter years.
I remember seeing that Spurrier wanted to go after the 2014 season. It wasn’t as attractive as 2013, but we were 7-6 having beat Miami in the bowl game. We beat Georgia and Florida that year, and lost close games to Mizzery, auburn, ky, and the viles. I’m not sure what coaches were available then, but I don’t think Boom would have been given any consideration. Instead, HBC drug up in the middle of the following season, and the rest is a forgettable cluster!

I love the Gamecocks as much as the next person, but you got to be honest with yourself. We were not going to get a big name coach or most likely a coach that is successful at any FBS school. Too much of a downward trend to take a chance.

Now coming off Spurrier, yes.
As devils advocate, we see time and time again how hard it is to follow a legend. Many could see that might’ve been our pinnacle. Just reiterating what’s been said ad nauseum, but I still can’t believe Ray gave Muschamp that crazy buyout. How he hasn’t been fired is beyond me. That tied our hands at a time we shouldn’t have had to worry about it and set us even further back.

Beamer hired who he wanted...or who he could attract. Beamer had Friend as OL coach before he bollted to another job....and then he hired Adkins. Beamer had the Auburn OC but didn't want him....and then hired Satterfield. IIRC any contracts over one year have to have BOT approval....Beamer chose to hire little known coaches for most positions....can't lay that at anyone's feet but his own.
Was the reason Friend and Bobo left because Auburn paid them alot more or did they just not believe in what Beamer was selling?

Was the reason Friend and Bobo left because Auburn paid them alot more or did they just not believe in what Beamer was selling?
I don't know.. Bobo was the sole holdover from the Muschamp staff. Friend was hired not long before he left. Auburn picked up both though....and UK wasted little to no time in hiring Wolford.

In the final analysis, though, going back to those coaches from Tennessee agreeing to be on staff here but then bolting to Auburn, was it a money thing or was it not?

In the final analysis, though, going back to those coaches from Tennessee agreeing to be on staff here but then bolting to Auburn, was it a money thing or was it not?
Just looked it up. Friend's contract here was supposed to pay him $700,000/year.....same as what he makes at Auburn. Money was not an issue.

Yes, $100,000/year, IIRC he signed a 3 year contract.

Friend left with Bobo because of familiarity, they’d been together at UGA and Colorado St.
As it turned out, we should've named Friend as OC and OL coach. He actually had experience and it may have solved two of our big issues.

Ole Miss did it right too. In Kiffen, they hired a young, experienced Head Coach who had previous success as a Head Coach. It is hard to deny he has had success in his first 2 seasons at Ole Miss. In his first year there, he won 4 conference games. In his 2nd year, they are nationally-ranked. When it comes to football hires, I always prefer hiring established, proven winners. And it should be noted that Kiffin did not inherit a lot of talent at Ole Miss The job he has done there is impressive.

Ive heard the same thing.
That could be. I don't know. In all my years as a Gamecock football fan, we have had our greatest success with experienced Head Coaches, who were proven winners as a Head Coach. For that reason, I have always preferred going that route.

Auburn has made it clear they have to have the vaccine by December. He won’t confirm nor deny if he’s had it or will get it.
That may be. But, if a change were to be made, it obviously would not be because of coaching ability. We had a football coach here who won on the field but ran afoul of the President and, thus lost his job. What I was referring to was coaching ability, wins and losses.

Disagree. We had an upward trajectory with SOS. Not his fault our idiot AD and BOT didn't have a list ready when he retired. Right now we aren't on a path to anything but being competitive with Mizzou and Vandy. Just another screwup in our long history of screwups. Stupid me for believing we had turned the corner.
When you have a staffing agency looking fo our coach. That tells you all you need to know about upper management.

Reactions: USC2USC
Auburn has boosters that want to win and I do mean win. Jimmy Rane, owner of Great Southern Wood (Yellawood) used to be a cutomer of mine. He raised the cash to boot Malzahn in about 3 phone calls.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
They went out and hired a coach with head coaching experience. A Head Football Coach who won 4 conference championships in 8 years, plus 3 division championships in 3 of the other 4 seasons. The hiring authorities at Auburn did not care whether the new coach had recruiting ties in that part of the country. They went out and hired a young, successful coach who will establish recruiting ties. He is 44 years of age. Saban is 69 and has a lot fewer years ahead of him than behind. Kudos to Auburn.
Agree. They also filled their staff with experienced SEC coaches as well.

Agree. They also filled their staff with experienced SEC coaches as well.
I often get the feeling that the power structure at schools like Georgia, LSU, Auburn etc run their football programs as if they are playing 3-Dimensional chess, while our guys play checkers. We bring knives to the board room. They bring guns. Chizik, Orgeron, Richt, etc....if they had accomplished at South Carolina what they did at those schools, they would have gotten life time contracts. It seems to me that we too often strive to do the gimmicky hire. The other schools, well, they mean business.

Ole Miss did it right too. In Kiffen, they hired a young, experienced Head Coach who had previous success as a Head Coach. It is hard to deny he has had success in his first 2 seasons at Ole Miss. In his first year there, he won 4 conference games. In his 2nd year, they are nationally-ranked. When it comes to football hires, I always prefer hiring established, proven winners. And it should be noted that Kiffin did not inherit a lot of talent at Ole Miss The job he has done there is impressive.

So the we never should have hired Muschamp theory cause he failed at UF, then why should anyone hire Kiffen cause he failed at SoCal. Basically, no one knows who will and won’t be successful until after the fact.

Is anyone on this board telling me they would have hired dumbo at the time? He was a receivers coach with no coordinator experience. I remember laughing at them and thinking what a bonehead hire. Got my face rubbed in it the past 6 years.

So the we never should have hired Muschamp theory cause he failed at UF, then why should anyone hire Kiffen cause he failed at SoCal. Basically, no one knows who will and won’t be successful until after the fact.

Is anyone on this board telling me they would have hired dumbo at the time? He was a receivers coach with no coordinator experience. I remember laughing at them and thinking what a bonehead hire. Got my face rubbed in it the past 6 years.

I think there were some extenuating circumstances at Socal, right? Wasn't he coaching through the scholarship reduction and probation years?

I would say muschamp.was much more of a failure.

Kiffin was fired after the 5th game of Year 4 at So. Cal. But, you left out the fact that Kiffin, in his one year at Tennessee, finished 2nd in the SEC East. And he won 2 Conference USA titles in 3 years at Florida Atlantic. At So. Cal, I'm not sure what the issue was since he did finish 1st or 2nd in his division there in Years 2 and 3 including #6 in the nation in Year 2.

While I agree that any hire is a gamble, it's less of a gamble if someone succeeded at that position elsewhere.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
They went out and hired a coach with head coaching experience. A Head Football Coach who won 4 conference championships in 8 years, plus 3 division championships in 3 of the other 4 seasons. The hiring authorities at Auburn did not care whether the new coach had recruiting ties in that part of the country. They went out and hired a young, successful coach who will establish recruiting ties. He is 44 years of age. Saban is 69 and has a lot fewer years ahead of him than behind. Kudos to Auburn.

They sure did...

giphy.gif

Bobo lost that, right? 4 and 1 and throw it down field while Tank watches. Ha! Just one drive after we scored a TD on 4 and 2. Double Ha! Seems like Tank took a lot of breaks in the middle of the drive too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT