ADVERTISEMENT

So Sad for SC Football

Cockytalk84

Dec 5, 2021
seems a large portion of the fan base is totally fine with 3 to 6 wins a year. I keep reading comments like "who else can we get to coach here." "we have injuries", "no one can win at SC", "Beamer wants to be here" "cant win in the NIL era" ect, ect, I guess the fans will blindly support a bottom feeder football program forever. I know the administration doesn't care about wins and losses as long as the money keeps rolling in. Insanity is following the same formula over and over and expecting different results....spend the money and hire a real AD, Head coach,OC and DC.......if anyone out there thinks next year will be any different, I will gladly repost this next year at this time....

seems a large portion of the fan base is totally fine with 3 to 6 wins a year. I keep reading comments like "who else can we get to coach here." "we have injuries", "no one can win at SC", "Beamer wants to be here" "cant win in the NIL era" ect, ect, I guess the fans will blindly support a bottom feeder football program forever. I know the administration doesn't care about wins and losses as long as the money keeps rolling in. Insanity is following the same formula over and over and expecting different results....spend the money and hire a real AD, Head coach,OC and DC.......if anyone out there thinks next year will be any different, I will gladly repost this next year at this time....

Is it that fans are fine or that they are realistic? We have over a century of history for reference. Spurrier fell from the sky and it also took him many years to elevate us even though he was a recruiting magnet.

It would be great to keep switching out coaching staffs until one clicked. The problem is these contracts coaches receive on the front end make that venture cost prohibitive.

Need to wait for 2025, Then something MIGHT happen. Until then, as my old high school football coach told us: "Suck it (air) up and go".

“…spend the money…”. You are certainly welcome to increase your donations to make it happen. I had increased my donations each year for the past 40 years until I realized “ spend the money” is pointless. I decided to drop out of the “spend the money” crowd. Look, spending more and more has resulted in an incredibly beautiful stadium and surrounding parking areas. The entire complex is outstanding. As we said during my freshman year in 1970, “ we’ve never lost a tailgate.” We’re still saying it today so just enjoy the tailgates and the facilities. We’re a Women’s Basketball powerhouse anyway.

“…spend the money…”. You are certainly welcome to increase your donations to make it happen. I had increased my donations each year for the past 40 years until I realized “ spend the money” is pointless. I decided to drop out of the “spend the money” crowd. Look, spending more and more has resulted in an incredibly beautiful stadium and surrounding parking areas. The entire complex is outstanding. As we said during my freshman year in 1970, “ we’ve never lost a tailgate.” We’re still saying it today so just enjoy the tailgates and the facilities. We’re a Women’s Basketball powerhouse anyway.
1970 was my freshman year, too. Misery loves company.

Reactions: hahnenkampf
Is it that fans are fine or that they are realistic? We have over a century of history for reference. Spurrier fell from the sky and it also took him many years to elevate us even though he was a recruiting magnet.

It would be great to keep switching out coaching staffs until one clicked. The problem is these contracts coaches receive on the front end make that venture cost prohibitive.

Seriously, I can not comprehend where you are coming from.

Who writes these contracts and buyouts anyway?? Frank's Boy's Agent??? What in the world did Frank's BOY do to deserve a $3+ Million Dollar raise??? What in the world was ANYBODY thinking when negotiating his buy-out??? Do you think anyone, in their right mind would hire Little beamer ... including his Father???

When YOU are driving down the road and realize you have no idea where you're at, how far do you drive before looking at a map or asking directions??? And what if you don't have a map??? Wait Till next year???

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
seems a large portion of the fan base is totally fine with 3 to 6 wins a year.

Most of the fanbase has common sense and aren't nuts like you and most on this board.

so they realize some very basic facts:

1) We aren't firing Shane Beamer this year or anytime soon.

2) Most people support Shane and are happy to have him.

3) Are willing to give him time to properly judge his abilities over the course of a number of years.

4) They aren't going to judge him on 1 year.

Now, please continue whining.

Reactions: gamecock stock
Most of the fanbase has common sense and aren't nuts like you and most on this board.

so they realize some very basic facts:

1) We aren't firing Shane Beamer this year or anytime soon.

2) Most people support Shane and are happy to have him.

3) Are willing to give him time to properly judge his abilities over the course of a number of years.

4) They aren't going to judge him on 1 year.

Now, please continue whining.
If next year is bad, I suspect his 5th year, 2025, will be make or break for Beamer.

Reactions: Ward Jr
Shane is using all that is allowed to build this program give him more time.

I don't know that people are fine with 3 to 6 wins but there is such a thing as being realistic. If you have the winning formula, please enlighten us (and the university) on how that should work. So far, for the last say 100 years, yes, folks have supported a more or less bottom feeder football program. We have a beautiful yet small, not so affluent state with no real big cities. Passion only gets you so far unfortunately. And yes it will get worse before it levels out.

I am not implying that fans need to increase donations. The athletic department consistently ranks in the top 20 in revenue, yet we hire on the cheap when it comes to coaches and very, very rarely crack the top 30 in football.
The athletic budget is supported solely by football yet we see no progress. Not a wise use of available resources.
The programs that are having success hire quality coordinators, not Beamers buddies that have failed at every turn. This is the poorest coached team I have seen in a long time.

I absolutely love my Gamecocks. I've been a diehard since 1968. College athletics changed with the NIL, that doesn't mean that I have to start paying players. I have a wife, two daughters and three grandchildren. That's where I spend my money.
Yeah, I’m not giving money to some college kid to play football. Screw that

Being that I was not a fan of the hire to begin with, I'd be all for making a change if next year is bad too. But if the past is any indication, Tanner would not pull the trigger at that time.

If we win 4 this year, and 4 next year? I could see it. Win 5 each year and I think he gets a fifth year. I think it's literally a question of if there's a collapse or not.

But you bring up a good point about Tanner. He may be reluctant to pull the trigger.

Being that I was not a fan of the hire to begin with, I'd be all for making a change if next year is bad too. But if the past is any indication, Tanner would not pull the trigger at that time.
In the "real" world hiring mistakes are a problem. And problems NEED to fixed as soon as possible. And a $17 mil buyout is "unreal".

In the "real" world hiring mistakes are a problem. And problems NEED to fixed as soon as possible. And a $17 mil buyout is "unreal".

But, but, but ... I've heard rumors that Saban might be retiring soon and who knows what might happen with the Michigan coaching job. Aren't you afraid that they might come after Frank's BOY??? A $17 Million Buyout might be our best friend. Ya know, wolves at the door and all. I mean a successful Head Coach with SEC Experience ... That's what the Top Programs want!!!

OUCH!!! I just bit my tongue ... and my sides are splitting!!!

Do you believe we've made a hiring mistake at this point from a head coach perspective?
I did and I do. It was definitely a risky hire that had a probable failure rate of 90% at best in the SEC. Beamer needed to start out at Tenn-Chattanooga or somewhere similar. I understand that Beamer was not Tanner's choice but the buyout was. Nobody was going to steal our risky hire from us. That was unbelievably stupid. I am aware that Carolina is definitely not the real world.

I did and I do. It was definitely a risky hire that had a probable failure rate of 90% at best in the SEC. Beamer needed to start out at Tenn-Chattanooga or somewhere similar. I understand that Beamer was not Tanner's choice but the buyout was. Nobody was going to steal our risky hire from us. That was unbelievably stupid. I am aware that Carolina is definitely not the real world.

Any coach we actually had available for hire was a crapshoot. They almost always are. The bottom line was that Beamer probably had the best optics. For example, Chadwell didn't get picked up by any P5 school.

As far as the buyout, it's hard to argue with following the industry average like all of the other SEC schools. Beamer's salary is ranked #10 in the SEC, and that's exactly where our talent aligns on the field as well.

Last edited:
Any coach we actually had available for hire was a crapshoot. They almost always are. The bottom line was that Beamer probably had the best optics. For example, Chadwell didn't get picked up by any P5 schools.

As far as the buyout, it's hard to argue with following the industry average like all of the other SEC schools. Beamer's salary is ranked #10 in the SEC, and that's exactly where our talent aligns on the field as well.
The "industry average" doesn't reflect the hiring of a first time HC without even coordinating experience. But during games I pull for them to do something great on every play. I just can't help it. 🙂

The "industry average" doesn't reflect the hiring of a first time HC without even coordinating experience. But during games I pull for them to do something great on every play. I just can't help it. 🙂

It was likely because role of today's D1 head coach is primarily recruiting and hiring a good staff. Obviously, Beamer was also the Assistant Head Coach at OU and they had a scorched earth offense during those years he was there. That and his connection with USC and Spurrier were probably key factors in the hire.

It was likely because role of today's D1 head coach is primarily recruiting and hiring a good staff. Obviously, Beamer was also the Assistant Head Coach at OU and they had a scorched earth offense during those years he was there. That and his connection with USC and Spurrier were probably key factors in the hire.
I assume you know all about the "assistant head coach" title and what it's really for. He wasn't at all his stops for very long either. He's proven that he's more than competent as a recruiting coordinator but I wouldn't want to pay $6 mil a year for that position. Hiring top notch assistants seem to currently be impossible for him. Who wants to work for someone that they feel are less qualified to be a head coach than they are?

Bear with me:

Jack "Neutron Jack" Welch was CEO of General Electric for 20 years. Under his reign GE was generally considered The Best managed company in the world. When he retired from GE after 41 years, his severance pay was $417MM. At the time, the highest in American Business history.

Neutron Jack got his nick-name because, 'the buildings are still there, just the people are gone.' Mr Welch's aggressive management philosophy was simple. The lowest 10% producing employees, in each department/division/business, was terminated each year and every year.

Some folks call it 'getting rid of the dead wood'. My Dad used to say ... 'Shit or get off the pot.'

Maybe, it's time to listen ... instead of talk, shaney.

Bear with me:

Jack "Neutron Jack" Welch was CEO of General Electric for 20 years. Under his reign GE was generally considered The Best managed company in the world. When he retired from GE after 41 years, his severance pay was $417MM. At the time, the highest in American Business history.

Neutron Jack got his nick-name because, 'the buildings are still there, just the people are gone.' Mr Welch's aggressive management philosophy was simple. The lowest 10% producing employees, in each department/division/business, was terminated each year and every year.

Some folks call it 'getting rid of the dead wood'. My Dad used to say ... 'Shit or get off the pot.'

GE could easily afford a $17 mil buyout.

I assume you know all about the "assistant head coach" title and what it's really for. He wasn't at all his stops for very long either. He's proven that he's more than competent as a recruiting coordinator but I wouldn't want to pay $6 mil a year for that position. Hiring top notch assistants seem to currently be impossible for him. Who wants to work for someone that they feel are less qualified to be a head coach than they are?

Yep. I think it speaks to the quality of coaches that were actually available for us to hire. Names get thrown around, but the list of coaches who had Beamer's qualifications AND wanted to come to USC were probably limited.

Also, Beamer was willing to take a $2.5 million contract for the first couple of seasons to ease the sting of the Muschamp buyout. Some candidates might have passed on that alone.

Bear with me:

Agree. When there's an opportunity cost in keeping Beamer, the AD will really start to pay attention.

IMO, it's not about overall W/L records. It's not disgruntled fans on phones and forums talking about our record.

It's wins at Williams-Brice. It's yearly attendance figures. It's AD donations & pre-season ticket sales, etc.

I assume you know all about the "assistant head coach" title and what it's really for.

Yeah!, He's NOT the guy who ACTUALLY WASHES the Jockstraps. He's just the guy who goes around and collects the Jockstraps and then brings them to the guy who ACTUALLY DOES SOMETHING and who actually washes the Jockstraps!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Yep. I think it speaks to the quality of coaches that were actually available for us to hire. Names get thrown around, but the list of coaches who had Beamer's qualifications AND wanted to come to USC were probably limited.

Also, Beamer was willing to take a $2.5 million contract for the first couple of seasons to ease the sting of the Muschamp buyout. Some candidates might have passed on that alone.
Wouldn't you like to be paid $2.5 mil a year for a job you're not qualified for? 🙂

Agree. When there's an opportunity cost in keeping Beamer, the AD will really start to pay attention.

IMO, it's not about overall W/L records. It's not disgruntled fans on phones and forums talking about our record.

It's wins at Williams-Brice. It's yearly attendance figures. It's AD donations & pre-season ticket sales, etc.
Exactly right, all throughout USC football history coaching changes were only made when fans quit filling the stands. Point of my post. As long as fans blindly support poor results with their $$$ and attendance, nothing will change. When the upper decks and end zones are empty on Saturdays, watch how fast they take notice and get off their a## to attempt to fix their poor choices. Loyalty to a bad product hinders progress and success. I guarantee you we are #1 in the country in attendance per win over the past 50 years or more.

Last edited:
Wouldn't you like to be paid $2.5 mil a year for a job you're not qualified for? 🙂

Ha. I'm struggling with the unqualified part.

If the main job of a head coach is recruiting and hiring a good staff, when you consider:

+ Beamer is thought of to be a really good recruiter and seems to be proving that at USC.
+ He was Assistant HC at one of the best college football schools in the country while they were on fire.
+ He was a staff coach during our most successful run in history.
+ He was willing to take $2.5 million until he had some success.
+ The candidates were probably limited.

Then it makes a little more sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 67gamecock
Exactly right, all throughout USC football history coaching changes were only made when fans quit filling the stands. Point of my post. As long as fans blindly support poor results with their $$$ and attendance, nothing will change. When the upper decks and end zones are empty on Saturdays, watch how fast they take notice and get off their a## to attempt to fix their poor choices. Loyalty to a bad product hinders progress and success.
I wasn't at the game Saturday but the boos came through the TV loud and clear.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I wasn't at the game Saturday but the boos came through the TV loud and clear.

If they had lost to Jax State in WIlliams-Brice, that would have caught the attention of the AD bigtime.

The same thing happened to Muschamp with the late-season App State loss.

Losing to Vandy this weekend would move the meter too.

We're not going to be favored in many SEC games.

If you're losing to most of the teams that have more talent and/or on the road, you better be beating the ones at home when you're favored and have more talent.

Ha. I'm struggling with the unqualified part.

If main job of a head coach is recruiting and hiring a good staff, when you consider:

+ Beamer is thought of to be a really good recruiter and seems to be proving that at USC.
+ He was Assistant HC at one of the best college football schools in the country while they were on fire.
+ He was a staff coach during our most successful run in history.
+ He was willing to take $2.5 million until he had some success.
+ The candidates were probably limited.

Then it makes a little more sense.
One thing that bothers me and apparently only me was when he said his phone was blowing up with BIG names that wanted to work for him. I've been assured on the other site that we would have given him whatever he needed to get them. Then we sat for two whole years with Satterfield. Then he replaced him with someone who hasn't been a college OC after failing as an OC in the NFL. People that know me know one thing I can't tolerate is lying. I discovered as a child that it was very uncomfortable for me to lie and I was very, very bad at it. So, I think he lied right to our faces and no one else seems to have a problem with it.

Obviously, Beamer was also the Assistant Head Coach at OU and they had a scorched earth offense during those years he was there.

Here is the staff when he was "Assistant head coach". The title, or a similar one, was pretty common throughout the staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT