ADVERTISEMENT

So Sad for SC Football

I do, and the hire that keeps biting us in the ass is the AD Ray Tanner. He has a piss poor vetting process and always waits until late in the game to make decisions
100% agree. Hope the baseball trophies were worth it bc that domino set a chain of bad decisions related to football that got us to 3-6 today

Reactions: gamecock stock
Yep and thats what we need, a PROVEN Xs and Os coach
Whoever did the hiring, did they not look at our recent history? The best success we have had in football is with coaches who were very good at X's and O's..... Spurrier and Morrison.....coaches who had prior, proven success at the FBS level. How could the hiring authority or authorities be so freaking dumb? Maybe that's why we are South Carolina.

Yep and thats what we need, a PROVEN Xs and Os coach

Where are the Xs and Os coaches in the Top 30 of D1 who outperform teams with better talent on any consistent level?

Why do the top talent teams typically prevail in college football?

Where are the Malzahns' and Spurriers' of this era?

Offensive game plans are primarily computer spun now.

You play the percentages and tweak it once and awhile.

The coaches of relevance are position coaches as computers cannot each a player how to read a play, position themselves and tackle properly.

Yes but part of that was Spurrier. He kept some players at home, and won some recruiting battles. And he put losses on them which contributed to their down years.

In 2011 - UK, UT, and UF and won 7 out of 24 games in the SEC.

In 2012 - UK, UT and Missouri won 3 games out of 24 in the SEC.

In 2013 - UK, UT and UF won 5 games out 24 in the SEC.

Collectively, these teams won 15 out of 72 games over the 3-yr stretch during our big run w/ Spurrier.

Now check them today.

This is why any expensive needle-in-a-haystack head coach hunt needs context.

We were living our best life under Steve Spurrier.

The stars aligned perfectly.

Last edited:
We have steadily improved ever since joining though. At first it was rough. But it then attracted Holtz and Spurrier. We became competitive, beat Ohio State twice. Spurrier took us to another level, finishing 3rd or better in the SEC East for 6 out of 10 years.

Then……we put a baseball coach in charge of football hiring. And its been downhill ever since. Muschamp and Beamer pulled a couple upsets each. But generally the program has gone downhill.

Its not playing in the SEC. Its our AD and his hiring decisions.

Wrong. The slide started when Spurrier decided to retire while on the job and started running the program like a country club.

Most of the good years under Spurrier coincided with the arrival and departure of Ellis Johnson's defenses and recruiting. Never saw all the amazing Xs and Os from him here. Looked nothing like he did at Florida.

See my last sentence. That “they don’t play in the SEC” line is a big part of what’s holding this program back. Yes the top 2, maybe 3, teams in the SEC in most years are probably better than everyone in America, along with a couple others like Ohio State or someone similar year to year. But the 4th-14th teams? No, its not head and heels superior to others. Florida lost to Utah. A&M lost to Miami. Bama lost to Texas. We lost to UNC. LSU lost to FSU.

And WE are a mid tier SEC program. Going .500 in conference should be the norm. Going 3-1, at worst, out of conference should be the norm. So 7-5 plus a bowl should be the worst season we have. Maybe we get upset and go 6-6.

But being in a dogfight with a team who was FCS last year, and likely going 5-7 at best this year, with Rattler as our QB, is just bad
You are aware of the imminent arrival of Texas and Oklahoma right? We are not a mid-tier SEC program anymore, not by history, not by market, not by $$, not by any measure. I think 6-6, 7-5 looks like a good season 2 or 3 years from now. I think it also looks like the exception vice the rule. We need to soften the ooc schedule to go 3-1. No reason to play extra hard games. I know you probably think I am settling but I think I am accepting reality, crappy as it may be. I actually hope you are right but I fear I am.

You are aware of the imminent arrival of Texas and Oklahoma right? We are not a mid-tier SEC program anymore, not by history, not by market, not by $$, not by any measure. I think 6-6, 7-5 looks like a good season 2 or 3 years from now. I think it also looks like the exception vice the rule. We need to soften the ooc schedule to go 3-1. No reason to play extra hard games. I know you probably think I am settling but I think I am accepting reality, crappy as it may be. I actually hope you are right but I fear I am.
I would normally disagree as I prefer playing like an ACC team as opposed to a small team. But look at UGA’s cake schedule. They’re doing it- and winning Natty’s, so why not us?

Whoever did the hiring, did they not look at our recent history? The best success we have had in football is with coaches who were very good at X's and O's..... Spurrier and Morrison.....coaches who had prior, proven success at the FBS level. How could the hiring authority or authorities be so freaking dumb? Maybe that's why we are South Carolina.
A baseball coach did the football hiring unfortunately

Where are the Xs and Os coaches in the Top 30 of D1 who outperform teams with better talent on any consistent level?

Why do the top talent teams typically prevail in college football?

Where are the Malzahns' and Spurriers' of this era?

Offensive game plans are primarily computer spun now.

You play the percentages and tweak it once and awhile.

The coaches of relevance are position coaches as computers cannot each a player how to read a play, position themselves and tackle properly.
Jamey Chadwell, Liberty University, in the top 25, and was top 25 at Coastal, and was top 15 in FCS at Charleston Southern. Brilliant Xs and Os. Immediately outperformed more prestigious programs in all three conferences

That matches everything you asked. Ole Ray instead decided to pick someone to learn on the fly

Last edited:
I would normally disagree as I prefer playing like an ACC team as opposed to a small team. But look at UGA’s cake schedule. They’re doing it- and winning Natty’s, so why not us?
I agree. I hate to bring em up, but they are in the same state, in a literal cow pasture county, with the same money: Clemson. They did it. Their history was 1 ancient history national title. Ugly uniforms. Boring town. Weak competition.

Yet they built what they built. Theres NO reason we cant also. Actually in NIL era theres MORE reason than them that we fan bc we play bigger opponents more often to expose players to bigger stages.

If they can do it, and Baylor did it, TCU did it, Northwestern did it, Boisie did it, Va Tech did it, theres no reason we cant.

Baylor, TCU, Northwestern, Boise State, Va Tech would all be just like us playing in our conference with our schedule, or worse.

I mean, TCU lost to Georgia by 58 points last year. LOL

Reactions: stu1cocks
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT