ADVERTISEMENT

Avery Johnson Out @ Alabama

Is Donovan even thinking about leaving the NBA right now? OKC is having a terrific season and I just don't see him coming back to to the NCAA right now.

The Legislature needs to worry about the pathetic state of our schools, roads and bridges.
See, right there is why we would be better off in other than the state capital. Some of these legislators treat the university, which they barely support financially, like a personal fiefdom.

Leonard Hamilton from FSU. Mike Cronin from Cincinnati. Ed Cooley from Providence. Mike Hopkins from Washington. Greg Gard at Wisconsin. Bobby Hurley from ASU. Nate Oats from Buffalo. Eric Musselman from Nevada. All have lower compensation packages than Frank, among many others. Luke Walton, Billy Donovan, and Fred Hoiberg might enter the market.

Probably not a good time to switch coaches, with so many openings already known and some others likely. But any of the above would be fine with me right now if it happened. Donovan, would obviously be a dream.​
A nice comprehensive list. I think FSU, Cincy, Washington and Wisconsin would pony up and do what it takes to keep their respective coaches.

If we were to start looking, the names you mentioned Hurley, Oats and Musselman would be a good starting point for potential candidates.

A nice comprehensive list. I think FSU, Cincy, Washington and Wisconsin would pony up and do what it takes to keep their respective coaches.

If we were to start looking, the names you mentioned Hurley, Oats and Musselman would be a good starting point for potential candidates.

I’d definitely back channel to Musselman to see if there is interest. He has NBA gravitas and connections, and is one of the more respected Xs&Os coaches in the country. Financially, I think his total compensation package is less than 1.5 million per; could blow him away with an offer.

Otherwise, I woukdn’t do anything this year, unless I heard a big name was dissatisfied and/or had interest in South Carolina. You’d have to kick the tires on a Thad Matta if the guy had feelers out there.

See, right there is why we would be better off in other than the state capital. Some of these legislators treat the university, which they barely support financially, like a personal fiefdom.

They provide about 10% of the budget through direct appropriations. But they underwrite all the debt with bond issues. New buildings, athletic facilities, etc. Then there’s the lottery.

Reactions: king ward
They provide about 10% of the budget through direct appropriations. But they underwrite all the debt with bond issues. New buildings, athletic facilities, etc. Then there’s the lottery.
So you're saying they have skin in the game, huh? I know they enjoy exerting influence since it's so convenient.

Ok. Let's talk names. Who do you want that we can get for what we are paying Frank, which is top 25 money?

Point is we should be able to pay a coach more than we paying frank to get our guy. Yes B donovan would be on the list

Point is we should be able to pay a coach more than we paying frank to get our guy. Yes B donovan would be on the list
We would have to roughly triple Frank's salary to match what Donovan is getting in OKC right now. However, IMO money isn't the biggest roadblock to landing a guy like Donovan - the bigger problem is the very real perception in the basketball world that recruits don't want to play at South Carolina and that the fans don't really care that much even when you win. It doesn't matter if it's true just that its perceived to be true. It's hard to get a top notch basketball guy come to coach at a school where you will be the third (maybe fourth behind women's bb) sport on the priority list.

Did you you ever wonder why you don't see the really cool Justin King videos on social media about basketball? I do too.

Reactions: jonesz21
We would have to roughly triple Frank's salary to match what Donovan is getting in OKC right now. However, IMO money isn't the biggest roadblock to landing a guy like Donovan - the bigger problem is the very real perception in the basketball world that recruits don't want to play at South Carolina and that the fans don't really care that much even when you win. It doesn't matter if it's true just that its perceived to be true. It's hard to get a top notch basketball guy come to coach at a school where you will be the third (maybe fourth behind women's bb) sport on the priority list.

Did you you ever wonder why you don't see the really cool Justin King videos on social media about basketball? I do too.

That's what your AD is for. Like any interview, you sell me on you, and I'll sell you on us. If we share the same ideas for how to make this one of the best basketball programs in the SEC, then we could have fruitful partnership.

Everyone is always, jeez, I don't know; we're not in a good place right now. Who would come fix this? Guess what, every school has felt like that at one time or another-- including Kentucky basketball and Alabama football within just the last 15 years. Alabama went Mike DuBose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price for 5 seconds, and Mike Shula; and became talk radio fodder before they fixed it.

Love Justin king vids

. . . or put another way, like another state agency. Clemson doesn't put up with that chit because half of their BOT are lifetime Tigers sworn to uphold Clem U. like it's their religion and home country. Plus, with the Tom Clemson land endowment, the Clemmies can (and often do, secretly) tell the legislature to go 'play' with themselves. If the politicos don't like it, the big Taters will marshall their forces over night - the state house will be swarming with pissed off Taters looking for a legislator's ass to kick and the streets of Columbia will fill with farm tractors (this actually happened back in the late 70's).

Reactions: king ward
. . . or put another way, like another state agency. Clemson doesn't put up with that chit because half of their BOT are lifetime Tigers sworn to uphold Clem U. like it's their religion and home country. Plus, with the Tom Clemson land endowment, the Clemmies can (and often do, secretly) tell the legislature to go 'play' with themselves. If the politicos don't like it, the big Taters will marshall their forces over night - the state house will be swarming with pissed off Taters looking for a legislator's ass to kick and the streets of Columbia will fill with farm tractors (this actually happened back in the late 70's).
Something like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT