ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Expectations?

Way better coach than AD. And none of this speaks to my being mad. I'm mad at what he wanted, if what he wanted is why he abandoned coaching the baseball team.
If I had been bothered by 2009, I would have remembered it. I still remember the 1984 Navy football game.

Guess that is why we ALL have opinions. Personally think he is pretty dang good as an AD, so good that he was not a "way better coach". Secondly, he didn't "abandon" coaching the baseball team, he was ready to retire from it. Just like any profession, it can get old.

Guess that is why we ALL have opinions. Personally think he is pretty dang good as an AD, so good that he was not a "way better coach". Secondly, he didn't "abandon" coaching the baseball team, he was ready to retire from it. Just like any profession, it can get old.
And I can be mad that he was ready to retire from the job he was better at since it worked to the detriment of the best program we had.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
And I can be mad that he was ready to retire from the job he was better at since it worked to the detriment of the best program we had.
And I'm annoyed that my boss just transferred into another department in the company. Wonderful guy. Happy for him that he has an opportunity to take on another challenge and grow. Life goes on.

Really pathetic anyone would be mad at someone for going in a different directiin in a career.
Anyone who enjoys Gamecock baseball and says they didn’t feel disappointed, mad, upset, or some type of displeasure when Tanner gave it up is fos. I think you’re being a little dramatic calling him pathetic. The man enjoys Gamecock baseball, he along with myself and most fans were disappointed when Ray said he was done. That doesn’t mean I want him to fail as AD, don’t be a drama queen

Anyone who enjoys Gamecock baseball and says they didn’t feel disappointed, mad, upset, or some type of displeasure when Tanner gave it up is fos. I think you’re being a little dramatic calling him pathetic. The man enjoys Gamecock baseball, he along with myself and most fans were disappointed when Ray said he was done. That doesn’t mean I want him to fail as AD, don’t be a drama queen
A big hearty amen to you, Sir!

It was 5 1/2 years ago. One would think one would be over it by now, and not act like a petulant child when the subject is brought up.

Get a life, man. There is a difference between being disappointed and being mad. Ray Tanner owes us nothing.

Reactions: atl-cock
Definition of a hijacked thread.
Anyway, play and be competitive in a regional final,
next year and 3/4 of the years forward, host a regional.

Can't say re: how this year's team might perform, but we're starting off 4th in our division vs. 1st or 2nd for years under Tanner. His 'wannabe an AD' fit is costing us.

We all know how important a pre-season sportswriters' poll is in relation to reality.

Worst AD we’ve had. Best baseball coach we’ve had.

Worst AD we’ve had. Best baseball coach we’ve had.

kingdixon1.jpg

A lot of this hinges on who are #2&3 guys are and can they Win 8 games and be the support to what Adam Hill should bring..... if they step up and the closer can close my anxiety will decrease!
Hill brought a 15.75 ERA.

My expectations are failed fundamentals and an uncanny ability to get less out of more.

Excuse the pun but so far I'm batting 1.000. What do I win?

I’d like to expect hosting a regional. That’s a regional expectation for the program.

Having said that, I think the cupboard is a little more bare than most Gamecock fans want to believe. I’d like to see us win 40 games and have a shot at an at large birth in the tourney. I actually think we miss this season. Rome wasn’t built in a day and I don’t believe the offense will improve enough to win. The SEC is the best college baseball conference in the country and you might could argue the baseball history is even deeper than football.

My hopes:
Win Clemson series
Finish in top 8 of SEC, top 3 of East
Host a regional

Wouldn’t be surprised to see:
1 win against Clemson
About 35 wins
4th in East, struggling to make tourney or missing

@bushmastercock pulled this thread. Your expectation was “constant improvement.” Don’t know if it was constant, but I do see improvement from beginning to end. You really did not state anything concrete, but rather left up to interpretation but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Mine were higher and more concrete goals. We didn’t win the Clemson series. Right now we sit at 34 wins. Didn’t host a regional, but that’s void if we win this one. We finished 3rd in the East & 5th overall. Those are right at or above expectations. I’d say I did a pretty damn good job of forecasting what we would be on Feb 11.

We’re basically about what I expected us to be. That’s why I have a problem beating my chest and saying we have “arrived”. We were not a dumpster fire, just had one at head coach.

Where Kingston deserves the most credit this season is pitching matchups. He made a decision to move Hill to Saturday and Morris to Sunday giving us a better chance to win 2 of 3 and boost our conference standing. Most coaches lack creativity here and line them up regardless of their chances of winning.

Logan Chapman has rose to the occasion a few times but he’s definitely not an SEC ace yet. Hill could beat anyone when on but struggles with control. Being at #2 puts less pressure on him and allows him to get out of a few jams that might cost him going against an ace. I think we agree Morris has been the most consistent starter and with him pitching the rubber game we are in better shape than most.

In my mind this is the biggest coaching adjustment that changed this season. It probably hasn’t been discussed on here enough.

Guys, I would have said lets just reach a regional, totally new staff with the same team as last year minus some pretty good experienced pitching, I really couldn't ask for more! Now everything is a bonus, Kingston has done his job well 1st year and I think Skylar Meade is a star in the making, I hope we can keep him and I hope they can recruit!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT