ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball vs. Georgia State Story

I evaluate teams as the season goes along, series by series.

We lost this one and left a ton of guys on base.
That's fine. It wouldn't have worked last season but it might this one. We have to wait and see how things unfold. I'd be more concerned with giving up 12 runs than leaving some baserunners, but that's just me.

Reactions: cockofdawn
The average number of baserunners left on base by a team is approximately 7.5. According to Dave's SEC stats, we're at 9.76. Not quite the epidemic when you have a peg to work with.

Last edited:
. I'd be more concerned with giving up 12 runs than leaving some baserunners, but that's just me.

Except, yesterday the game got out of hand quick when we weren't able to take advantage of those runners in scoring position that could have put us ahead late the game. Then when we didn't take advantage, it got away from us.

The average number of baserunners left on base by a team is approximately 7.5. According to Dave's SEC stats, we're at 9.76. Not quite the epidemic when you have a peg to work with.

We are averaging 10.57 per game (201). Opponents 140

Doesn't take much in baseball, especially when it's a long-term trend. Hopefully we can get going.

Except, yesterday the game got out of hand quick when we weren't able to take advantage of those runners in scoring position that could have put us ahead late the game. Then when we didn't take advantage, it got away from us.
You mean we didn't get enough hits in a game? I'm struggling to see why this stats means anything at all? So we leave 2-3 more runners on base than on average over 9 innings. The best arguments for why are either that Kingston is more conservative in moving runners or we're simply not getting enough hits.

If he's more conservative, are there any benefits to this strategy? Well, we're averaging 8 runs a game which is in the upper half of the SEC in spite of our batting average. So that would indicate it might be a good strategy. I'm with Ward Jr on this one. The issue seems to be the team's overall batting average and leaving a few extra runners on base each game is a by-product of that.

You mean we didn't get enough hits in a game? I'm struggling to see why this stats means anything at all? So we leave 2-3 more runners on base than on average over 9 innings. The best arguments for why are either that Kingston is more conservative in moving runners or we're simply not getting enough hits.

If he's more conservative, are there any benefits to this strategy? Well, we're averaging 8 runs a game which is in the upper half of the SEC in spite of our batting average. So that would indicate it might be a good strategy. I'm with Ward Jr on this one. The issue seems to be the team's overall batting average and leaving a few extra runners on base each game is a by-product of that.
Anyone listening to 107.5 this morning heard a guest discuss the issue we’ve had leaving men on base Including how the approach hurt us in the Saturday game in the 8th inning.

Anyone listening to 107.5 this morning heard a guest discuss the issue we’ve had leaving men on base Including how the approach hurt us in the Saturday game in the 8th inning.
IMO, it's just a surface level talking point. Why are they being left on base at a higher clip than average? Because we aren't a very good batting team at the moment. We're one of the worst in the conference.

IMO, it's just a surface level talking point. Why are they being left on base at a higher clip than average? Because we aren't a very good batting team at the moment. We're one of the worst in the conference.

Disagree. The stat over several years reveals a good bit about the offensive approach of a coach.

It can reveal insights into the batting approach, offensive strategy, approach to the batting order, the approach to moving runners up (Kingston has been accused of waiting for the homerun instead of trying to move runners up incrementally. So much so in fact he mentioned it (and admitted it) on his own Saturday night after the game - he said that they could have taken a different approach and moved runners up trying to get one home instead of waiting for a homerun).

It's the same with on-base percentage. Two players can have essentially the same batting average, but one can have a much better on-base percentage than the other. (a good many examples of this out there).

To add to that, some teams with lower batting averages can have a much higher on base percentage than a team with a higher batting average.

Disagree. The stat over several years reveals a good bit about the offensive approach of a coach.

It can reveal insights into the batting approach, offensive strategy, approach to the batting order, the approach to moving runners up (Kingston has been accused of waiting for the homerun instead of trying to move runners up incrementally. So much so in fact he mentioned it (and admitted it) on his own Saturday night after the game - he said that they could have taken a different approach and moved runners up trying to get one home instead of waiting for a homerun).

It's the same with on-base percentage. Two players can have essentially the same batting average, but one can have a much better on-base percentage than the other. (a good many examples of this out there).

To add to that, some teams with lower batting averages can have a much higher on base percentage than a team with a higher batting average.
So your concern is leaving a couple of extra runners on base each game and not the fact our overall batting average is weak? Look at the teams who don't leave runners on base as much and you'll find they are hitting the ball at a good clip.

Reactions: cocks rule
So your concern is leaving a couple of extra runners on base each game and not the fact our overall batting average is weak? Look at the teams who don't leave runners on base as much and you'll find they are hitting the ball at a good clip.

Yes - that's my concern right now. That's why I posted it If my key concern was batting average, I would have posted that. Sort of the way it works.

Teams can score without having a hit- just like teams can also have a good on base percentage and not a really good batting average.

But, I can also hold various concerns at the same time. But I was specifically talking about one big consistent under Mark Kingston - leaving a lot of men on base.

But, I can also hold various concerns at the same time. But I was specifically talking about one big consistent under Mark Kingston - leaving a lot of men on base.

You're falling for pundit yapping again.

Last season, we finished in the Top 3 for runs scored, runs batted in, walks, sacrifice bunts & on-base %.

We were also 4th from the bottom in batting average.

Would that not be the exact opposite of what you are suggesting has been a plaguing issue?

Last edited:
To me, it seems very simple. I think the answer to the issue has to do with our approach with 2 strikes in general. I am an older guy, but I realize the 3 true outcomes approach to baseball, not that I necessarily agree with it. My belief is that if you have 2 strikes and shorten your approach at the plate. That is, choke up a little, widen your stance and shorten your swing a little, with the mindset of not striking out and putting the ball in play, you increase your likelyhood of getting on base. Maybe you lessen your chance of hitting a very sexy home run, but in the long run, making the other team make a play on a ball puts added pressure on the other team. When there are runners on base, this is amplified. I know this is an older approach to offense in baseball, but I really feel like Kingston has always rather seen 1 home run rather than 3 hits and a run. I feel like I have watched enough of the Yardcocks games to make this a valid point.

To me, it seems very simple. I think the answer to the issue has to do with our approach with 2 strikes in general. I am an older guy, but I realize the 3 true outcomes approach to baseball, not that I necessarily agree with it. My belief is that if you have 2 strikes and shorten your approach at the plate. That is, choke up a little, widen your stance and shorten your swing a little, with the mindset of not striking out and putting the ball in play, you increase your likelyhood of getting on base. Maybe you lessen your chance of hitting a very sexy home run, but in the long run, making the other team make a play on a ball puts added pressure on the other team. When there are runners on base, this is amplified. I know this is an older approach to offense in baseball, but I really feel like Kingston has always rather seen 1 home run rather than 3 hits and a run. I feel like I have watched enough of the Yardcocks games to make this a valid point.

Agree. The overall approach to batting seems to be at the core of the issue. Our batting average is now 2nd to last in the SEC.

Reactions: cockofdawn

This makes sense.

Saturday's game was an example where Kingston was relying on a guy who is not hitting well to hit in a crucial situation instead of trying to move the runners up with a bunt- when a bunt made sense in the situation.

The very next day, Kingston changed things up and admitted that maybe playing for 1 run makes more sense than playing for a big inning. (well, yes- this is true a fair amount of the time).

My concern with the LOB stat is this is a long term issue with kingston.

We were spoiled for so long with Ray Tanner who had an incredible ability to have a "feel" for the game during a game. He was one of the best ever at that and it's not fair to compare Kingston to him. I get that. But it sure takes Kingston a LONG time - and a lot of games- to even slightly change his approach.

This makes sense.

Saturday's game was an example where Kingston was relying on a guy who is not hitting well to hit in a crucial situation instead of trying to move the runners up with a bunt- when a bunt made sense in the situation.

The very next day, Kingston changed things up and admitted that maybe playing for 1 run makes more sense than playing for a big inning. (well, yes- this is true a fair amount of the time).

My concern with the LOB stat is this is a long term issue with kingston.

We were spoiled for so long with Ray Tanner who had an incredible ability to have a "feel" for the game during a game. He was one of the best ever at that and it's not fair to compare Kingston to him. I get that. But it sure takes Kingston a LONG time - and a lot of games- to even slightly change his approach.

The team currently has a dismal batting average and is still 3rd in the league in getting runners on base.

The issue is that we aren't hitting the ball with any level of consistency whether players are on base or not.

Reactions: PaleoCock
The team currently has a dismal batting average and is still 3rd in the league in getting runners on base.

The issue is that we aren't hitting the ball with any level of consistency whether players are on base or not.
IMO over the Kingston era, this team has fallen in love with the Homerun, I know it makes all the girls swoon, but not winning games against quality opponents!

Reactions: Ward Jr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT