ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball announcers

JasonScottinSC

Jul 1, 2010
I spent a lot of time in the car on Sunday bouncing around from store to store for some holiday shopping and listened to the second half of the men's game and a bunch of the women's game on the radio. I have to say, both of the guys that do USC's men's and women's games are pretty good at what they do. With most games on TV, not sure how many folks listen to games on the radio, but I listen to a lot of USC sports on radio when I work nights and weekends and these guys make it enjoyable. I've liked our other radio folks in recent years with Andy and Mike as well. I know Mike was a favorite around here for a while, but to me it sounds like we're well-covered.

Reactions: CEagle1 and TAV31
Yeah, Fulton was always a down the middle kind of guy. To be honest, I didn't notice it other than when Casey Manning talks, and since he played at USC, it doesn't bother me as much. I don't think the USC guys are blatant homers though. They both seem to tell it like it is - good or bad.

Reactions: TAV31
I like them, They are both pretty decent at Baseball too. Let's Keep them, what y'all think?

I like how our guys will mention when the refs are sucking as well. They do it the right way, but you can tell when things don't seem to be evenly called. Like yesterday's game.

I like how our guys will mention when the refs are sucking as well. They do it the right way, but you can tell when things don't seem to be evenly called. Like yesterday's game.
Announcers using "we" just strikes me as unprofessional. I don't mind announcers calling out missed ref calls as long as they do it for both teams. I actually kind of like that.

Radio guys get it and do a good job. Those TV announcers are terrible. They just talk and talk to hear themselves talk about crap nobody cares about. They do a lousy job of announcing the game, because they talk about players and coaches and how great they are etc. etc. etc. and don't let the public know what's going on in the game. When there is a foul sometimes you don't even know who the foul is called on and they seldom let you know how many fouls that individual has.

Reactions: TAV31
Brad Muller does a great job for the women and does it solo! Our seats are four rows back and to the left of him.

He always talks to the fans before the game. At the quarter time outs he is a mess trying to juggle everything; listening in one ear, trying to read the updated stat sheets, checking for lineup changes.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
Radio guys get it and do a good job. Those TV announcers are terrible. They just talk and talk to hear themselves talk about crap nobody cares about. They do a lousy job of announcing the game, because they talk about players and coaches and how great they are etc. etc. etc. and don't let the public know what's going on in the game. When there is a foul sometimes you don't even know who the foul is called on and they seldom let you know how many fouls that individual has.
TV announcers probably don't cover the same team for every game; thus, the viewing audience loses out.

Reactions: winloseortie
TV announcers probably don't cover the same team for every game; thus, the viewing audience loses out.
Good point. That does change when you get into conference play. The group of SEC announcers see all the teams and it’s their job to know the whole conference.

No, it has nothing to do with what team is being covered. It has to do with style, content, and delivery. The radio guys have to paint a picture and describe for the listener who cannot see the action, exactly what is going on and give all the information a listener needs to follow the game. The TV announcers are obsessed with cheerleading, theatrics, and the compulsive need to try to impress the viewers with their "insightful analysis" most of which nobody cares about. Meanwhile there is an actual game in progress that they fail miserably to announce. We often have no idea how many fouls a player has who just committed a foul, but we know all about what an unrelated player's mother did in college in 1995. They give us the benefit of their enormous "wisdom" by telling us what the coach should be doing in this or that situation and who they should be playing and subbing for, etc. Nobody gives a damn what these nobody announcers think. We just want to watch the game and be informed as to what is going on especially when it is not clear what a given call on the floor is.

No, it has nothing to do with what team is being covered. It has to do with style, content, and delivery. The radio guys have to paint a picture and describe for the listener who cannot see the action, exactly what is going on and give all the information a listener needs to follow the game. The TV announcers are obsessed with cheerleading, theatrics, and the compulsive need to try to impress the viewers with their "insightful analysis" most of which nobody cares about. Meanwhile there is an actual game in progress that they fail miserably to announce. We often have no idea how many fouls a player has who just committed a foul, but we know all about what an unrelated player's mother did in college in 1995. They give us the benefit of their enormous "wisdom" by telling us what the coach should be doing in this or that situation and who they should be playing and subbing for, etc. Nobody gives a damn what these nobody announcers think. We just want to watch the game and be informed as to what is going on especially when it is not clear what a given call on the floor is.
You also bring up some good points as did winloseortie.

What you are describing is on the producers, who are probably instructing the announcers how to announce.

I don't mind hearing anything about 1995 as long as it's not during game play, and it doesn't take away from the game.

Of course, when a radio announcer states that USC will be shooting to the goal to their right, it really doesn't matter. The announcer could have said left; same difference.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT