ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Expectations

HI Cock

Oct 14, 2012
We have NINE players new to the program... a program that we've been told takes a couple years to get accustomed to.

My expectations are low. Convince me otherwise?

Reactions: butchrobbins
The Frank Martin teams that have been good have all excelled at defense. With his defensive system it seems to take some time for newer players to grasp everything as a cohesive unit. So I'm with you on the expectations being low.

We have NINE players new to the program... a program that we've been told takes a couple years to get accustomed to.

How can anyone convince anyone of anything with this mix.

Martin 1.0 - Takeover of Horn's mess
Martin 2.0 - Martin has his guys - Final Four run
Martin 3.0 - Martin has a bunch of "talent" who like BB guns and Five Points. Martin loses his talent.
Martin 4.0 - Martin starts over with a mix of transfers and bans Five Points.
Martin 5.0 - Martin has his guys - implodes in 2020 because he has too many "guys" and no role players, two factions of players don't get along and Martin shouldn't be coaching because he's so sick.
Martin 6.0 - Martin finally mixes "his guys" that stay with actual role players but they don't know his system.

Is Martin 6.0 going to be like Martin 2.0? I think it's unlikely because the new role guys are going to be learning the system and Martin's personality and (history tells us) won't be fully functional until next year when his 2.0 guys are gone. However, they may still flirt with post season. So, Carolina would begin Martin 7.0 or new coach 1.0.

I like Martin and think he would be good if someone else got him players and he just coached and taught them life skills. No sure how many more versions can produce a version 2.0.

In all, I hope I'm wrong.

How can anyone convince anyone of anything with this mix.

Martin 1.0 - Takeover of Horn's mess
Martin 2.0 - Martin has his guys - Final Four run
Martin 3.0 - Martin has a bunch of "talent" who like BB guns and Five Points. Martin loses his talent.
Martin 4.0 - Martin starts over with a mix of transfers and bans Five Points.
Martin 5.0 - Martin has his guys - implodes in 2020 because he has too many "guys" and no role players, two factions of players don't get along and Martin shouldn't be coaching because he's so sick.
Martin 6.0 - Martin finally mixes "his guys" that stay with actual role players but they don't know his system.

Is Martin 6.0 going to be like Martin 2.0? I think it's unlikely because the new role guys are going to be learning the system and Martin's personality and (history tells us) won't be fully functional until next year when his 2.0 guys are gone. However, they may still flirt with post season. So, Carolina would begin Martin 7.0 or new coach 1.0.

I like Martin and think he would be good if someone else got him players and he just coached and taught them life skills. No sure how many more versions can produce a version 2.0.

In all, I hope I'm wrong.

This was a lot to process, but even being a lot, makes way to much sense........... hence I am scared of this season......

Honestly it's probably best to go into the season with no expectations. I think there are some talented new pieces and some talented returners, but I think the chemistry is key. I think I will just keep an open mind for first 5 games and then set expectations.

Reactions: HI Cock and vacock#
NIT and a short run in that tourney - just enough to put Frank on the right side of the firing line and he’s renewed for another year! Because he’s just so close! - and it would be the most Gamecock thing that could happen.

Reactions: thisisnextyr
I expect that we'll be finally be looking for another men's basketball coach at season's end. And we'll hire someone that no other school in the country would hire. Again.
To be fair to FM... he was a hot commodity when we hired him. Wasn't hired by the current AD, though iirc.

To be fair to FM... he was a hot commodity when we hired him. Wasn't hired by the current AD, though iirc.
Very correct. I think if he moved on to a team that had talent and depth but lacked direction next year that team would do very well. If he moves on to a team in a rebuilding mode then it will look a lot like here - two big wins mixed with horrible home losses.

Reactions: HI Cock
If by "expectations," you mean a metric or standard, my expectation is to make the NCAA tournament or bust. This is do or die time for Frank.

If by "expectations," you mean what I truly anticipate happening, I think we'll lose some head-scratchers in December, win some tournament games we probably shouldn't have won, enter the home stretch of the season on the bubble, and fade down the stretch.

Do recall when Frank brought in 4 freshman…..& they all started🤗….wasn’t a bad yr either😁
Guess you should know “the rest of the story”…….they would become the 4 sophs + 1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT