ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball recruiting: Cam Scott

NBA teams hired George Glymph Dave. Sometimes losers have to take chances, and since the 70’s we have been perennial losers. Further, you don’t give a guy a token interview if you are not taking him seriously for a job. There is also precedent for hiring High School coaches. Gus Malzahn was a high school coach and there are several other examples. Columbia HS basketball was really hot in the Mid-80s. George Glymph was a huge part of that. Even if you don’t trust him with the head job, there should have been some way to get him on staff and see where it goes. It was obvious that he wanted to move beyond High School. He ended up on NBA benches since we paid the man no mind. However, a rift doesn’t occur based on your viewpoint. Glymph may have not been the right man for the job, however, if a community feels a guy was disrespected, you have an issue. So, if there is a feeling of people trying to shake our program down, you have to think about where that energy is coming from. You don’t just write them off as bad people and throw up your hands. Otherwise, you are making excuses and will always lose.

Yes, the NBA hired him to help with O'Neal's career in the NBA - which led to other opportunities for him.

He might have done a fantastic job at South Carolina. But it's crazy to hold it against South Carolina for not hiring a high school basketball coach as head coach.

Yes, the NBA hired him to help with O'Neal's career in the NBA - which led to other opportunities for him.

He might have done a fantastic job at South Carolina. But it's crazy to hold it against South Carolina for not hiring a high school basketball coach as head coach.
When has something being crazy stopped people from holding grudges. Don't shoot the messenger. I am just telling the things that get thrown in my direction when people have things to say about South Carolina as opposed to others schools which in many cases they know little to nothing about.

Ok why did USC basketball suck before 2007 then?
Yes, everyone has to deal with handlers, hangers-on, in some cases preachers or some person of influence that the family trusts. It's a nasty part of the business and basketball is the nastiest because there are only 30-40 players in each class that will turn out to be real difference makers. The early bloomers of that 30-40 know it and people around them already have one eye on your program and one eye on the NBA. In many cases there are going to be asking for concessions of some kind because they have options (a lot of them). Sometimes a shoe company comes into play and you have little shot at a player because of his sneaker affiliation. For example, a kid playing in Nike EYBL is going to be hard for South Carolina to get. A kid playing on the Under Armor circuit we have a chance with. That's why some have mentioned that our contract with Under Armor hurts us for basketball. The key is finding what concessions you can make (with NIL or otherwise) while still being within the rules. All programs have to deal with this. This is not some issue that's specific to Columbia, SC.

Edit: Just did some research on Cam Scott's AAU participation. Plays for Nike EYBL affiliated team, Team United. Nike-Texas. Makes perfect sense now. These are the types of dots you have to start connecting in Basketball recruiting.
Why did USC mens basketball suck before 2007 then?

I don't think its a question of it others are cheating and we aren't... I think its more along the lines of are other programs having to deal with this extortion from coaches, pastors, or other representatives?

Why do you think that outside a handful of years that Gamecock men's basketball is a perennial cellar dweller?
A big part of it was leaving the ACC. I think we have ended up in the right place for all of our sports programs. However, the ACC (perception wise) is still as a stronger conference with Duke and North Carolina next door. Also, we started to gain some local recruiting momentum with George Felton and his demons with alcohol got the best of him. If you put me back in a time machine, Tubby Smith was the guy for the job. Young and hungry back then. Would have given us 20 good years before he started to struggle in his later years (Minnesota, Texas Tech, Memphis, etc.). If I remember correctly, we replaced Felton with Newton and haven't been able to get it together on a consistent basis ever since. On second thought, Smith would have given us 5-7 good years and left for a higher profile program. Smith didn't mind moving to further his career.

A big part of it was leaving the ACC. I think we have ended up in the right place for all of our sports programs. However, the ACC (perception wise) is still as a stronger conference with Duke and North Carolina next door. Also, we started to gain some local recruiting momentum with George Felton and his demons with alcohol got the best of him. If you put me back in a time machine, Tubby Smith was the guy for the job. Young and hungry back then. Would have given us 20 good years before he started to struggle in his later years (Minnesota, Texas Tech, Memphis, etc.). If I remember correctly, we replaced Felton with Newton and haven't been able to get it together on a consistent basis ever since. On second thought, Smith would have given us 5-7 good years and left for a higher profile program. Smith didn't mind moving to further his career.
Also, hard to understand how we didn't capitalize on Frank's final four run, we were the talk of college basketball, what happened? I guess Frank did it his way!

When has something being crazy stopped people from holding grudges. Don't shoot the messenger. I am just telling the things that get thrown in my direction when people have things to say about South Carolina as opposed to others schools which in many cases they know little to nothing about.

I get that.

I hope you tell them something like "I realize your point of view but to expect a college to hire a high school coach is sort of nuts"

I get that.

I hope you tell them something like "I realize your point of view but to expect a college to hire a high school coach is sort of nuts"
Rational people don't hold grudges for decades over a perceived injustice that they likely weren't even alive for.

Recruiting at USC has suffered because Frank went after a certain type kid and he didn't connect with the AAU coaches. Two kids who played at Christ Church in the Greenville area were not recruited by Frank until very late. Their mother played at USC and one is with the Portland Trailblazers and the other signed with Mizzou. Numerous players are seen early in their career and the courting has to begin early. Building relationships with parents and coaches is essential if you're gonna get them to sign on the dotted line. I felt that Martin was a good X and O coach but his temper-ment did not fit a lot of today's players. Embarassing a player in practice is different than doing it in a game in front of a crowed arena. Kids must know that there is respect from the coach if the coach expects to receive respect from the player.

Changing the topic, this upcoming season, the men's team will win at least 50%of their games. I also believe Mack will be the team scoring leader and Conyers (yes the freshman) and Zachary Davis will be a major contributors. Stay tuned!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT