ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball underrated and why I support expanded football playoff

Gamecockben1979

Jun 5, 2017
In a year where almost everything has gone right for our men’s basketball team and I’m excited about March:
1. We currently sit at #18 in the nation. A bad week and we could be unranked…it won’t be easy but I see us winning at least one of two.
2. Our NET ranking is 47. So much disrespect here. There are bubble teams and teams that flat out suck on the road way ahead of us.

Which brings me to my last point. Anyone that has watched this team play knows this is an ncaa tournament team even though we’re barely in the top 20 and our metrics like NET are below average.

This is why I’m behind an expanded college football playoff. We struggle for national respect. We can win a ton of games and be on the bubble while other programs can be mediocre and still have a shot. If we had Villanova, Wake Forest, Utah or Colorados resume our butt would be headed to the NIT in an instant. And you can say it’s tradition, but outside of Villanova those other 3 don’t have much more tradition than we do if at all.

To be fair we’ve been ranked as high as 11 and I suspect we will be around 15 on Monday. We have a shot to win the conference. But of the 5 teams that still have a shot to win the sec regular season title, we are still the lowest ranked which kinda proves my point.

Win anyway and I love this team, but I am tired of the national disrespect in regards to net ranking especially. To quote Coach Paris “respect us or pay the price!”

I don't care. Winning games takes care of such things.

I see no reason to get worked up about some ranking and then go out and lose games.

We could have a tournaments with 100 teams and someone will be left out that probably should have been in and probably looked clearly better than someone just above them.

Reactions: vidaliagamecock

I see no reason to get worked up about some ranking and then go out and lose games.

No system is perfect. We could have a tournaments with 100 teams and someone will be left out that probably should have been in.
Well I get what you’re saying but the reality is the current system is stacked against us. Rarely will we start out ranked high so we will spend a lion share of the season proving ourselves and then if we hit a loss or two in the national medias eyes then we are not for real.

Certainly not worked up and very confident in what this team can do, but the reality is many years with a similar resume to this years bubble teams we would get passed over. Teams that start the year ranked get a built in advantage that teams that start the year unranked have to overcome. This should not be the case but it is.

In a year where almost everything has gone right for our men’s basketball team and I’m excited about March:
1. We currently sit at #18 in the nation. A bad week and we could be unranked…it won’t be easy but I see us winning at least one of two.
2. Our NET ranking is 47. So much disrespect here. There are bubble teams and teams that flat out suck on the road way ahead of us.

Which brings me to my last point. Anyone that has watched this team play knows this is an ncaa tournament team even though we’re barely in the top 20 and our metrics like NET are below average.

This is why I’m behind an expanded college football playoff. We struggle for national respect. We can win a ton of games and be on the bubble while other programs can be mediocre and still have a shot. If we had Villanova, Wake Forest, Utah or Colorados resume our butt would be headed to the NIT in an instant. And you can say it’s tradition, but outside of Villanova those other 3 don’t have much more tradition than we do if at all.

To be fair we’ve been ranked as high as 11 and I suspect we will be around 15 on Monday. We have a shot to win the conference. But of the 5 teams that still have a shot to win the sec regular season title, we are still the lowest ranked which kinda proves my point.

Win anyway and I love this team, but I am tired of the national disrespect in regards to net ranking especially. To quote Coach Paris “respect us or pay the price!”

Agree. There's currently far too much emphasis on the OOC SOS within the NET algo. It needs to be adjusted and we are glaring proof of that.

The new 12-team college football playoffs is good step forward. The turnaround time and physical toll for football is obviously far different from basketball. However, it would be nice if they could get to at least a 16-team playoff and make things more interesting. One would have to believe they will eventually go higher because of these super conferences. With the addition of Texas and OU, you're definitely going to have more than one or two teams in the SEC who deserve a shot at the title. The idea of typically including a representative from each P5 conference doesn't work anymore unless you expand out.

We could have a tournaments with 100 teams and someone will be left out that probably should have been in and probably looked clearly better than someone just above them.

Accounting for Network Effects, Dave. The point is to expand the playoffs to account for inherit inequities in resources and give schools who don't have a revolving door of 5-star recruits and endless capital a shot at the postseason from time to time. Otherwise, College Football is just another Monopoly game at this point.

Last edited:
Accounting for Network Effects, Dave. The point is to expand the playoffs to account for inherit inequities in resources and give schools who don't have a revolving door of 5-star recruits and endless capital a shot at the postseason from time to time. Otherwise, College Football is just another Monopoly game at this point.
You get it. Here’s another mind blowing stat from the NET.

We win back to back quad 1 games and go from 48 to 47. Clemsux loses at NOTRE DAME and jumps from 25 to 22. Make it make sense.

Well I get what you’re saying but the reality is the current system is stacked against us. Rarely will we start out ranked high so we will spend a lion share of the season proving ourselves and then if we hit a loss or two in the national medias eyes then we are not for real.

I have no issue with going to 12 teams in football. But I support that anyway- not because of us. We are rarely in a position in be in this conversation at all.

We will start at ranked high if we have a good year and have a good team returning and we will move up if we win and play good teams.

If we suck in basketball, like we did last year, we aren't going to be ranked high early the next season. But if we have a good year we will get our chance in the tourney regardless and we can prove it on the court if we belong or not.

We win back to back quad 1 games and go from 48 to 47. Clemsux loses at NOTRE DAME and jumps from 25 to 22. Make it make sense.

Us winning helps Clemson at this point. We are one of their best wins.

Clemson losing to a rotten Notre Dame doesn't help us. Losing to Clemson hurts us.

Clemson's SOS is 34

Ours - 73

I have no issue with going to 12 teams in football. But I support that anyway- not because of us. We are rarely in a position in be in this conversation at all.

We will start at ranked high if we have a good year and have a good team returning and we will move up if we win and play good teams.

If we suck in basketball, like we did last year, we aren't going to be ranked high early the next season. But if we have a good year we will get our chance in the tourney regardless and we can prove it on the court if we belong or not.

This would assume everyone's on equal footing to begin with.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

That is wild. I'd love to see NET equation based on the weighted averages. Really don't understand why it isn't already? Provide transparency and a target for everyone from the start.

https://www.si.com/college/gonzaga/...s-tvi-net-efficiency-and-strength-of-schedule

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Us winning helps Clemson at this point. We are one of their best wins.

Clemson losing to a rotten Notre Dame doesn't help us. Losing to Clemson hurts us.

Clemson's SOS is 34

Ours - 73
I think the strength of schedule is misleading as well. Is going to Auburn or Tennessee any tougher than going to Duke or UNC? Some of these teams ahead of us literally can’t win a road game to save their life—Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Wake.

Most of the ACC is trash this year. Duke rarely plays a game outside of North Carolina and is mediocre when they do. UNC is title worthy. Clemson is probably the third best team. NC State should make it.

Va Tech, Miami, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Syracuse, Boston College are all dumpster fires. There are only 2 ranked teams in the entire conference.

I’ll give Clemson credit for going to Alabama. Tough game and they won it. TCU is pretty good but that game was in Canada in front of about 100 people. If the ACC is good, I assume that’s boosting the strength of schedule. If it’s not, then I’d like to know where the tough games are. When I compare schedules I don’t see a much tougher schedule for them then for us.

Agreed. If you win out they can only call you NCAA champ

If we beat Tennessee again tomorrow night, I'm really interested to see what happens with the NET rank. We're #47 and they are #4 with almost the same resume. The only difference is we will have beaten them twice. How could the system place us behind them if it's accurate and equitable?

If we beat Tennessee again tomorrow night, I'm really interested to see what happens with the NET rank. We're #47 and they are #4 with almost the same resume. The only difference is we will have beaten them twice. How could the system place us behind them if it's accurate and equitable?
Me too although I doubt it’ll change much. All I know is after I saw Wake get their butt handed to them at home by Georgia Tech in a game they needed to win they can get the Wake Forest BS out of here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT