ADVERTISEMENT

BB Offensive Philosophy?

JGH 35

Oct 22, 2013
I'm still trying to figure out why the basketball team does not seem to have any idea as to what we want to do on offense. We don't seem to have a scheme in place to allow us to be successful. You only have to watch the Florida game and observe the differences in how the 2 offenses attack. When UF was on offense they were very active. They whipped the ball around the horn, inside, back outside at a dizzying pace and they were able to either get the ball inside to a wide open player for an easy bucket or they were able to get the ball back outside for a wide open 3 that they could step into and bang down.
When we were on offense we have a guy who dribbles the ball out front for a while, then passes to the wing, who dribbles a few times and then passes back to the point who dribbles some more and then passes to the other wing. We burn up over 20 seconds of the 30 second clock and accomplish nothing. Then we have to have someone try to drive to the basket when the opponent knows that is what we have to do and the guy has 3 players on him. We either turn the ball over or take a bad shot. This kind of play is maddening to watch. We don't seem to do anything to give us a chance at a good shot. We don't make many 3s but a lot of that is because we don't have the opportunity to shoot many 3s with good looks at the basket. Our 3s come at the end of the shot clock with the shooter being guarded.
I just don't understand why we do this and what we are trying to accomplish. I only know - it ain't working.

Reactions: vacock#
I was thinking the same thing the other night. Florida was constantly getting open looks while we were constantly covered on the offensive end. Is their scheme better or does our supposedly great defense make them look better?

I'm still trying to figure out why the basketball team does not seem to have any idea as to what we want to do on offense. We don't seem to have a scheme in place to allow us to be successful. You only have to watch the Florida game and observe the differences in how the 2 offenses attack. When UF was on offense they were very active. They whipped the ball around the horn, inside, back outside at a dizzying pace and they were able to either get the ball inside to a wide open player for an easy bucket or they were able to get the ball back outside for a wide open 3 that they could step into and bang down.
When we were on offense we have a guy who dribbles the ball out front for a while, then passes to the wing, who dribbles a few times and then passes back to the point who dribbles some more and then passes to the other wing. We burn up over 20 seconds of the 30 second clock and accomplish nothing. Then we have to have someone try to drive to the basket when the opponent knows that is what we have to do and the guy has 3 players on him. We either turn the ball over or take a bad shot. This kind of play is maddening to watch. We don't seem to do anything to give us a chance at a good shot. We don't make many 3s but a lot of that is because we don't have the opportunity to shoot many 3s with good looks at the basket. Our 3s come at the end of the shot clock with the shooter being guarded.
I just don't understand why we do this and what we are trying to accomplish. I only know - it ain't working.
Agree, it ain't working. I think most teams have figured out that we are team that needs to drive to the bucket to score. We don't have any pure jump shooters (Notice is the exception when he's on) so teams are going to sit back in a zone and make us beat them from the outside. Working pretty well for the opponents.

I never understood that, what is the teams offensive philosophy. I coach high school basketball and I had a parent ask me that one time after a game and I didn't know how to answer him. My teams offensive philosophy is to put the little orange ball into the little orange hoop as efficiently as possible.

I never understood that, what is the teams offensive philosophy. I coach high school basketball and I had a parent ask me that one time after a game and I didn't know how to answer him. My teams offensive philosophy is to put the little orange ball into the little orange hoop as efficiently as possible.
Really? How does your high school team do?

We do really well actually. Consistently in the playoffs 3 sectional titles in 7 years, 6 league titles. So it works, I know what I am doing

All I know is that when we get across half court we give it to the big everytime. The big usually has a wide open three that we need to take from time to time to draw the defense out.

Reactions: gamecockblack
So are you telling me you go into each game with no idea about HOW you are going to put the orange ball into the orange hoop? That is total BS and you know it.

Reactions: rogue cock
Vandy did the same as UF on offense and had our guys chasing the ball inside-out, side to side, wearing us ragged and just looking for a clean opportunity to launch a three. It was dizzying and I don't remember the ball touching the court much, but it worked.

It looks as though we are trying on every trip to feed the ball inside for a shot, or dribble penetrate for a layup or foul. Thornwell is one of the few who will take a short 5-footer.

Vandy did the same as UF on offense and had our guys chasing the ball inside-out, side to side, wearing us ragged and just looking for a clean opportunity to launch a three. It was dizzying and I don't remember the ball touching the court much, but it worked.

It looks as though we are trying on every trip to feed the ball inside for a shot, or dribble penetrate for a layup or foul. Thornwell is one of the few who will take a short 5-footer.
Easier to do if you have several players on your team that can successfully launch a three.

One of problems appears to be a lack of confidence in their outside shot from several players. There was a time or at least several games where guys lit up (Auburn, LSU, and even Georgia) and the offense really seemed to flow similar to what some of you are describing.

We've become much easier to defend when we can't hit wide open shots. Also, Florida has an excellent defense to boot.

I think other teams see that we don't have a lot of depth on the bench that can provide quality (productive) minutes, so they play pretty fast the whole game up and down the court, and take advantage of our subs where they can. As we tire, we don't defend the 3 as well, we don't move our feet as well, we don't shoot or rebound as well, and they just pull away in the last 5 mins. This is what I observed in our last 2 games. Having said all of that, I thought our guys gave a good effort, and our bench logged more mins than I've seen in a while. They actually played more than FL's bench. FL is quite talented. They have several long shot artists, and they are fast! They could go deep into the tourney this year, at least to the Sweet 16. Bottom line, we just aren't defending as good as we were early in the season, and early in our SEC schedule, but I did not see anyone giving up or quitting, and we shot great from the FT line.

Wow, you must have offers coming in like crazy.

Reactions: Crutcher1
So are you telling me you go into each game with no idea about HOW you are going to put the orange ball into the orange hoop? That is total BS and you know it.

No, I never said that. We analyze our opponents defense and that determines what we are going to do. We see which match-ups work best for us and decide what plays and sets we are going to use. Some games we may have a significant rebounding advantage on the defensive end so we look to exploit that and get out and run in transition. Another game a team may be very conservative and do a good job of playing transition defense back to their zone defense so then we will slow the pace down and find the weakness in their zone. Another night we may think they cannot guard our perimeter shooters if we run good plays for them so we will do that. So no, we do not have one specific philosophy, we take it game by game.

Reactions: viennacocks
I'm more concerned with out defensive philosophy. High Pressure, deny every pass, pressure the ball at half court works against teams that we out athlete, but against teams that can match out athleticism it fails. We struggle to keep the ball in front, get beat off the dribble, then have to rotate to help, and the they kick it out for a wide open 3. Dont understand why we dont play more of a sag man to man when we get into the meat of the conference and face better teams. I asked these same questions last year when we saw the same thing happen. Offensively we are not good, we dont have but 1 consistent playmaker, so I dont care what scheme we run, we are going to struggle until we knock down outside shots and stop turning the ball over. I think our guys play hard, but that only takes you so far. By and large its still a talent issue. Obviously if silva could stay on the floor, and dozier would be consistent we could still make a good run to end the season

Gamecocks are getting open shots and certainly seem to move the ball around more effectively than they did a few years ago but, other than Thornwell, no one is hitting the shots regularly.

Reactions: viennacocks
Since we do not have the manpower across the board I wish the Princeton offense used by Pete Carril would be used. It would get everyone involved and make up for so much. Maybe it's too hard to learn, or even coach.

Where is a pick and roll with Silva and or Kotsar..? Why do our guys drive it inside and get their Schidt blocked half the time..? We should be kicking it out. We do have some shooters. Frank has got to set some of this up..!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT