ADVERTISEMENT

Be thankful for Champ and his staff

It's completely excusable imo. It was a pointless exhibition we didn't really want to show up for. Our extra practices were valuable, and all, but as for the game itself? Not getting anyone injured should have been our first and only priority.
If it's not the playoffs, who cares?

Seems like it would be more accurate to say it was understandable, but not excusable, IMHO. I can see why the kids may not have been excited by the game but they still have a job to do.

The staff have us going in the right direction

Famous last words: Edward John Smith (15 April 1912), a British naval officer. He served as master of numerous White Star Line vessels. He was the captain of the RMS Titanic, and perished when the ship sank on its maiden voyage.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
That is a culture problem that starts with the head coach. He had that attitude and then the team did as well and got curb stomped by UVA. Boom has no idea how to create an identity or a culture. We have Florida 2.0 with him now. We knew who he was before we hired him. Guess what? As Denny Green said," He is who we thought he was". Ray you there??

He may be one of those guys meant to be a defensive coordinator, not a head coach. We have seen that with a number of guys: Dave Campo, Ron Zook, Dave Wannstedt, etc. Good defensive assistant coaches, but not right for the top spot.

The Citadel didn't have a player on their team that could cover Cooper and it didn't occur to the collection of dumbass coaches on the sideline to give him the ball until the game was almost over. Aside from the QB, who was awful, the talent was mediocre. The coaching was apocalyptically bad.
Well, SOS left with those dumbass coaches too so.....

And yet, that team played arguably the most talented Clemson squad ever within five points the very next week with the same Shawn Elliott as interim coach? Under Muschamp, the cumulative 3 year results against Clemson might raise the question, who's paying his salary .... Tanner or Dabo?
But we still lost to the Citadel, close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades, we played Clemson tough this past year only to look like the Bad News Bears against Uva.

We are in the wrong conference, no doubt about it.
I certainly didnt mean to imply we should be anywhere other than the SEC. But if success is 100% dependent on recruiting prowess, then no program will ever challenge the power programs. It's not a caste system. To become a power program ourselves, we will have to beat power programs who have more talent on the field than we have. But it doesn't have to always be that way.

But we still lost to the Citadel, close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades, we played Clemson tough this past year only to look like the Bad News Bears against Uva.
giphy.gif

So what is your point? Oh, wait! We had a drug problem against Clemson on defense the last 3 years. Yep, they drug our defense up and down the field for a grand total of 146 points. That averages out to 49 points given up per game. Sure glad Muschamp recruits hard and is a defensive guru, aren't you? Just empirically prove to me that Will Muschamp today isn't the same hard-headed idiot that he was at Florida and I'm sure I'll get on board with his genius coaching.

So what is your point? Oh, wait! We had a drug problem against Clemson on defense the last 3 years. Yep, they drug our defense up and down the field for a grand total of 146 points. That averages out to 49 points given up per game. Sure glad Muschamp recruits hard and is a defensive guru, aren't you? Just empirically prove to me that Will Muschamp today isn't the same hard-headed idiot that he was at Florida and I'm sure I'll get on board with his genius coaching.
What? It's not my job to prove anything about Muschamp my job is to hope we win and look for a translator for your post.

Reactions: rogue cock
but he did win 9 in his second season and is still ahead of Spurrier.

Boy! To a true Gamecock Fan, your comment is almost sacrilegious and at least blasphemous.

During the 2013 season, Spurrier led his Gamecocks to a third consecutive 11-2 record. Only two other programs (Alabama and Oregon) have won 11 or more games each of the last three seasons (2011–13). During the season, the Gamecocks defeated three teams that finished ranked in the Top 10 in the final AP Poll (Missouri, University of Central Florida, and Clemson). The Gamecocks were the only team to accomplish this feat. They also became the first and only team to defeat two teams that won BCS bowl games. Following their 34-24 win over Wisconsin in the Capital One Bowl, the Gamecocks were ranked 4th in the final AP Poll, setting a record for the program. This also marked the third straight year that the Gamecocks finished with a Top 10 ranking in the final AP Poll. While defeating Clemson, again, the Gamecocks ran their winning streak over their archrival to five games, which is the longest winning streak in the rivalry, for either team, since 1940. The 31-17 score marked the 5th straight double-digit margin of victory over their ACC foe. Also, for the 5th straight year, the Gamecocks defense held the Tigers to 17 points or less.

Last edited:
Boy! To a true Gamecock Fan, your comment is almost sacrilegious and at least blasphemous.

During the 2013 season, Spurrier led his Gamecocks to a third consecutive 11-2 record. Only two other programs (Alabama and Oregon) have won 11 or more games each of the last three seasons (2011–13). During the season, the Gamecocks defeated three teams that finished ranked in the Top 10 in the final AP Poll (Missouri, University of Central Florida, and Clemson). The Gamecocks were the only team to accomplish this feat. They also became the first and only team to defeat two teams that won BCS bowl games. Following their 34-24 win over Wisconsin in the Capital One Bowl, the Gamecocks were ranked 4th in the final AP Poll, setting a record for the program. This also marked the third straight year that the Gamecocks finished with a Top 10 ranking in the final AP Poll. While defeating Clemson, again, the Gamecocks ran their winning streak over their archrival to five games, which is the longest winning streak in the rivalry, for either team, since 1940. The 31-17 score marked the 5th straight double-digit margin of victory over their ACC foe. Also, for the 5th straight year, the Gamecocks defense held the Tigers to 17 points or less.
Took him 6 years to have a 9-game winning season....bunch of 7 win seasons prior to that. Lost 4 of his 5 first bowl games and got whipped by UConn only scoring a late TD in garbage time....it was every bit as bad as the bowl game last year. At least UVA came from a decent conference. And he got blown out the year before that by Iowa in the bowl game.

Last edited:

Who doesn't know that? Gone back and check his first four years.

Who doesn't know that? Gone back and check his first four years.

All kidding aside, no hidden sarcasm, whatsoever, although you and I are opposite poles on this issue, I respect and admire your loyalty and dedication.

Took him 6 years to have a 9-game winning season....bunch of 7 win seasons prior to that. Lost 4 of his 5 first bowl games and got whipped by UConn only scoring a late TD in garbage time....it was every bit as bad as the bowl game last year. At least UVA came from a decent conference. And he got blown out the year before that by Iowa in the bowl game.
Iowa's culture beat our culture in that game.

All true, but the difference in the details.

In his 1st Season, Spurrier beat #23 Tennessee at UT and #12 Florida. Already he has more wins versus ranked teams than Muschamp has had in 3 years here.

He also played #9 UGA down to the wire at UGA 17-15 and blew out the Kentucky Wildcats 44-16. Clemson edged us 13-9 that year and we were ranked #19 going into that game. We beat them the following year and lost by 2 in 2007. Muschamp has given up close to 150 points to them in extreme blowouts.

With Spurrier, to spite the overall start, there was always a palpable sense we could beat anyone at any given moment. He salivated at going against top teams and would love that UGA and Clemson were bidding for the top. In addition, the media loved him so we got great exposure which would pay dividends in future recruiting.

With Muschamp when it comes to games of significant relevance, Muschamp seems 3 feet tall and typically finishes the game that way. If you google "Will Muschamp", the larger image that sits to the right side in the profile speaks for itself:
https://www.google.com/search?ei=AG...0....1..gws-wiz.......0i7i30j0i13.XmzpyT05vGs

In addition, his relationship with the media and overall perception is not very positive. There were alot of people outspoken about our hire, especially the ESPN guys. That shouldn't matter, but it does in the age of social media and such.

The progression of this discussion is: "Well Spurrier is done..." However, most would agree we could and should deserve better. When you see how Tom Herman, Dan Mullins, Kirby Smart, Jimbo Fisher, or even Josh Heupel etc. are performing in windows equal to, or shorter than Champ, it drives the point home.

All true, but the difference in the details.

In his 1st Season, Spurrier beat #23 Tennessee at UT and #12 Florida. Already he has more wins versus ranked teams than Muschamp has had in 3 years here.

He also played #9 UGA down to the wire at UGA 17-15 and blew out the Kentucky Wildcats 44-16. Clemson edged us 13-9 that year and we were ranked #19 going into that game. We beat them the following year and lost by 2 in 2007. Muschamp has given up close to 150 points to them in extreme blowouts.

With Spurrier, to spite the overall start, there was always a palpable sense we could beat anyone at any given moment. He salivated at going against top teams and would love that UGA and Clemson were bidding for the top. In addition, the media loved him so we got great exposure which would pay dividends in future recruiting.

With Muschamp when it comes to games of significant relevance, Muschamp seems 3 feet tall and typically finishes the game that way. If you google "Will Muschamp", the larger image that sits to the right side in the profile speaks for itself:
https://www.google.com/search?ei=AG...0....1..gws-wiz.......0i7i30j0i13.XmzpyT05vGs

In addition, his relationship with the media and overall perception is not very positive. There were alot of people outspoken about our hire, especially the ESPN guys. That shouldn't matter, but it does in the age of social media and such.

The progression of this discussion is: "Well Spurrier is done..." However, most would agree we could and should deserve better. When you see how Tom Herman, Dan Mullins, Kirby Smart, Jimbo Fisher, or even Josh Heupel etc. are performing in windows equal to, or shorter than Champ, it drives the point home.
Agree somewhat with the first part, with the stipulation that we could also have an inexplicable loss to some poor team from time to time...such as Vandy, who was not good when we lost to them.

With respect to your last paragraph, all took over programs that were well ahead of us in recruiting and generally are from states with an almost unlimited resource of recruits. For a better comparison, look at Mullins when he took over MSU. And Fisher left FSU in bad shape....real bad shape.

I'm really struggling with talking myself out of believing this Jim guy is Ray Tanner or if he resides near the male bovine street in Columbia. No one can have a pelvis as strong is. No way it candle that much pumping lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT