ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer calling every head high school coach on the state

What sunk us for years was the pipeline in this state starting to dry up comparing to the run of every bit of elite talent coming to SC.

There’s absolutely no doubt that we benefitted from a freakish amount of instate talent, and there hasn’t been that same level of instate talent since then.

But if the instate talent level drops, you go elsewhere. We had a HBC who admittedly wanted to go cheap on recruiting, and a RC who admittedly hated talking on the phone and dumped his kids’ unwanted Halloween candy on a table for recruits to eat instead of having food set up.

Our competitors all upgraded their recruiting programs, we were stuck in a 1990’s time warp.

Reactions: rogue cock
There’s absolutely no doubt that we benefitted from a freakish amount of instate talent, and there hasn’t been that same level of instate talent since then.

But if the instate talent level drops, you go elsewhere. We had a HBC who admittedly wanted to go cheap on recruiting, and a RC who admittedly hated talking on the phone and dumped his kids’ unwanted Halloween candy on a table for recruits to eat instead of having food set up.

Our competitors all upgraded their recruiting programs, we were stuck in a 1990’s time warp.
I think biggest issue is Carolina sandwiched between a lot of recruiting powers. Clemson, UGA, FLA, UNC, etc. One good thing is Tennessee falling to pieces. It’s just extremely tough to be in a small state with not much of a population and ones that are elite will go to Clemson if they want them. But every single surrounding state currently has and will have a stronghold on their states due to their continued success. Was I a fan of Beamer hire? Not particularly, but issues he faces would be the same for any coach that came to USC. Every single surrounding state and even in state will be at least second choices because their are better options until wins come.

Reactions: rogue cock
My biggest hope for SB, and his program going forward, is to recruit high character kids who are also great HS players. Some may be 6' 220 LB instead of taking a 6'2 225 guy who is a worse student, lazier and less serious about his life and privilege of playing D1 football at USC. This is totally within SB's control, and an advantage to mine those kids who would be fallbacks for other programs.

I've had enough of the 6'3 210 receiver who can't catch a cold and the lazy OL who is 300 lbs coming in, but does nothing more than show up to mandatory practices /workouts. These scholarships are like golden tickets and should be viewed as such by our staff...and should given out to the deserving who are serious about our program.

Going to have to win the state back first. Right now it looks like at least 4 out of 5 of the top 2022 in state kids are headed to Clemson. But at least Beamer is going hard to build relationships with these coaches for future prospects.

I think biggest issue is Carolina sandwiched between a lot of recruiting powers. Clemson, UGA, FLA, UNC, etc. One good thing is Tennessee falling to pieces. It’s just extremely tough to be in a small state with not much of a population and ones that are elite will go to Clemson if they want them. But every single surrounding state currently has and will have a stronghold on their states due to their continued success. Was I a fan of Beamer hire? Not particularly, but issues he faces would be the same for any coach that came to USC. Every single surrounding state and even in state will be at least second choices because their are better options until wins come.

Small state without much of a population? South Carolina has a population of over 5 million. That is number 23 out of 50. We are sandwiched between #8 and #9. UGA and UNC can't take all of their homegrown talent. Clemson is not going to land every SC homegrown kid, because many are from Gamecock families. We have a larger population than Alabama. There are only 5 states with SEC schools with a larger population than S.C. State population is not an issue. USC now has facilities second to none. A rabid fan base that shows up on Saturdays, and a young dynamic coach that can recruit the hide off of an alligator! SOS has proven you can recruit here and win big here! Coach Beamer will have us back to good years in no time! So, why don't you shut up with your negative BS!

Reactions: WingchunCock
Small state without much of a population? South Carolina has a population of over 5 million. That is number 23 out of 50. We are sandwiched between #8 and #9. UGA and UNC can't take all of their homegrown talent. Clemson is not going to land every SC homegrown kid, because many are from Gamecock families. We have a larger population than Alabama. There are only 5 states with SEC schools with a larger population than S.C. State population is not an issue. USC now has facilities second to none. A rabid fan base that shows up on Saturdays, and a young dynamic coach that can recruit the hide off of an alligator! SOS has proven you can recruit here and win big here! Coach Beamer will have us back to good years in no time! So, why don't you shut up with your negative BS!
Where did majority of Spurrier’s elite talent come from?

Also just happened that the goldmine that was the state of SC high school talent fell off as well... Not taking up for JR but Gilmore Lattimore Ellington Clowney Jeffery Quarles, Swearinger Holloman Taylor etc were all in state kids that came to SC from SC. This state hasn’t produced a run like that very much where all went to one school.

We had some good talent in this state, you got to work hard to get them like every other schools and Clemson. Jr was lazy and thought USC would get the cream of the crop because go his name. Plus, it doesn't help or look good putting your feet up on the HS coach's desk and act arrogant inferno of the recruit and coaches. I had a family member who was a teach/coach in the Low Country tell me this.

We had some good talent in this state, you got to work hard to get them like every other schools and Clemson. Jr was lazy and thought USC would get the cream of the crop because go his name. Plus, it doesn't help or look good putting your feet up on the HS coach's desk and act arrogant inferno of the recruit and coaches. I had a family member who was a teach/coach in the Low Country tell me this.
I never said that was right or should coaches in HS be treated with anything other than the utmost respect. But let’s not act as if it a missing element as to succes of our program.

If let’s say Clemson and Carolina were after a five star in state kid. If Clemson didn’t cold call coaches and Tony Elliott put feet up on HS coaches desk, the five star is 99.99 going to Clemson unless he is a huge USC fan.

Last edited:
Let's just hope that the state starts to produce talent like it had during the Spurrier era. Over the last few years and from what I'm seeing in next year's class, there hasn't been a lot of star power. I know it runs in cycles but damn, aren't we do for one? I know early on in Spurrier's tenure we were heavily reliant on the state of GA. I think we can still pick up some players there. We're going to have to. We used to be able to get into the Charlotte area as well. UNC is making it hard for us there now. Florida has always been a hot spot but everybody recruits there. It's getting harder to get a foot in the door, especially South Florida.

Then why are the coaches commenting on it and explicitly said by the OP that no other coach has done it. I am guessing what the difference is that Beamer is actually talking to them and not just saying "HEY THIS IS COACH MUSCHAMP JUST WANTED TO SAY HI AND YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB AT HIGH SCHOOL X."

If the OP is getting unsolicited comments from (assumed) established HS coaches, I think its significant. You just come on here (like every thread) and boo hoo hoo
It is not "boo-hooing." It is simply trying to keep things in perspective to what normally occurs. If you choose to take that as whining....so be it.

You are right. I did not know that because I am just an alumni and not an insider like you are.
I'm not an insider. I can research someone's reputation as well as recall past performances. Relationships with former players is a plus.

I'm not an insider. I can research someone's reputation as well as recall past performances. Relationships with former players is a plus.

If I wanted to research someone’s reputation, what option in Google search is that?

I never said that was right or should coaches in HS be treated with anything other than the utmost respect. But let’s not act as if it a missing element as to succes of our program.

If let’s say Clemson and Carolina were after a five star in state kid. If Clemson didn’t cold call coaches and Tony Elliott put feet up on HS coaches desk, the five star is 99.99 going to Clemson unless he is a huge USC fan.

You remind me of one of Danny Fords former players..

Here's one I know about from years ago: The Lou Holtz Era. A good friend of mine was on the staff at Spring Valley. They had several kids who were D1 players. He told me several times that Lou and Skip (who both lived within a 5-iron of Spring Valley HS) had NO interest in visiting the school/football staff/team. Lou never made it by, and Skip came once. He would also tell me of the visits they got from Clemson coaches at this same time, as well as out-of-state schools.

Quick reply by you to a link that doesn’t contain a solution to my question. I guess I can’t trust some people to be honest. Have a good day.
You knew there was no link, yet you asked. You were trying to be a smart ass and we both know it.

If you figure about 5 minutes/call to each of the 179 high school football teams/coaches in the state, that works out to right about 15 hours. I'm sure many calls are going longer than 5 minutes. That's an impressive effort.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT