ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer Panicked & Hired Satterfield

jake4290

Oct 2, 2011
Shane is the one who panicked and hired Satterfield, despite Satterfield’s history of failing as an offensive coach and head coach. Now, we will see if Shane has the good judgment and stones to fire Satterfield promptly and hire the best OC possible. I hope he does. There are rumblings that Satterfield doesn’t play well with others, which flies in the face of the “culture” that Shane is trying to build at USC. Bottom line, Shane fumbled on the hire and needs to fix it ASAP. Otherwise, we will be looking for another head coach in 3-4 years and our incompetent Board will probably allow our incompetent AD, Ray the rube Tanner, screw up yet another hire.

Yet all the pumpers told us what a good hire he was . He was all Beamer could get. No self respecting coordinator was coming here to work under a 1st time coach with an fcs staff . Even on D, Elliot gave white a coaching clinic . Coaching inexperience was in full display last nite to go with a serious talent gap !

1. He didn’t panic, but Satterfield sold a Rhule/Brady Scheme that sounded great on paper.

2. Satterfield will be leaving soon. There may be coaches coaching this weekend you have to wait on and their finalizing a landing spot for Satterfield, because Beamer is a stand up guy.

3. It’s the SEC where a coordinator will make more money than most head coaches in FCS and double the money coordinator coaches make at group of 5s. You’re not gonna hire Kendall Briles or Jeff Libbey but it’s an attractive job for many.

4. Clayton white was a long time DC and Pete Limbo was an old HC. Neither had any issues with working for a first time head coach.

5. The open jobs don’t matter. We’re not gonna beat LSU or Ok for an OC. As we saw last year with Bobo, if a better job is open you’re gonna take it, even if a deal and announcement has already been made.

I’m really curious about all the talk about Satterfield finding a new job. I know the coaching fraternity likes to recycle guys but is there really much of a market for a guy who was repeatedly demoted by one HC and was an abysmal failure this year?

With Satterfield, my guess is we’re waiting on details from his next destination. I have to believe Beamer knows a bad coach when he sees it. Even the average fan can diagnose that while players have to execute the call, there have been some odd calls/schemes etc this season.

And, if the rumors are true about a rift between him and other coaches (not hard to believe looking at the personnel we trotted out there), he needs to be gone.

How do you know he panicked...were you with him during the hiring process?
Well then....it shows his ineptitude for judging talented coaches, and being able wrestle offensive controls and steer the ship as needed WHEN needed. Being more of an offensive guy than defense (esp. lately)....one would think the guy hired to run this program could recognize that was needed, and do it.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
On this board I read a very compelling version of events that had Beamer backed into a corner, not quite forced, but close to forced to settle on a last minute hire with Satterfield.

It sounded reasonable and I'm willing to buy it given the circstances at the time.

However, that all becomes bs if Satterfield is retained. Now would be the time to rectify the mistake.

With all the job openings though, I wonder if potential targets are working on "better" opportunities before they would agree to come to Columbia.

Reactions: CarolinaBro
On this board I read a very compelling version of events that had Beamer backed into a corner, not quite forced, but close to forced to settle on a last minute hire with Satterfield.

It sounded reasonable and I'm willing to buy it given the circstances at the time.

However, that all becomes bs if Satterfield is retained. Now would be the time to rectify the mistake.

With all the job openings though, I wonder if potential targets are working on "better" opportunities before they would agree to come to Columbia.
The backed into a corner story is so obviously BS. Satterfield was hired the same day Auburn hired Bobo.

Satterfield was who Beamer wanted all along.

I don’t think he panicked. He scrambled to find someone after BoBo left and I can only wonder what restrictions that Tanner put on him. Besides, in my book, the first year is a probationary “free pass” year. We were a below average team when he got here.
Next year will be the year of JUDGEMENT!

Team wins 6 or 7 games. Satterfield has 2 year contract. Inherited a bunch of leftovers from an already terrible offense. Coaching carousel in chaos.

Not going anywhere. He'll get another year.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach

I'm coming around to the idea that we might be kind of stuck waiting on the dust to settle with the bluebloods before making a move. We certainly don't want to lose an OC in the 11th hour for the second year in a row. Then again, we're probably not exactly fishing in the same pond as those programs are, so I'm not sure. But it's a reasonable explanation for the delay, if indeed we are moving on from Satterfield (fingers crossed).

I'm coming around to the idea that we might be kind of stuck waiting on the dust to settle with the bluebloods before making a move. We certainly don't want to lose an OC in the 11th hour for the second year in a row. Then again, we're probably not exactly fishing in the same pond as those programs are, so I'm not sure. But it's a reasonable explanation for the delay, if indeed we are moving on from Satterfield (fingers crossed).

Even if we're waiting for that to clear, why are we keeping Satterfield on staff right now?

So we are going into recruits homes, telling them that Satterfield will be the OC knowing that he's going to get fired soon?

Reactions: Legendary Cock
It seems to me that the reason Satterfield is still on staff is because if Beamer fires him right now, it ruins the illusion that he (Beamer) might actually be headed for Oklahoma.

If so, then Sexton loses his chance to extort Ray for another unwarranted raise and extension.

If that's the case, I sure hope Beamer doesn't shoot himself in the foot with recruiting before the early signing period.

Reactions: uscwatson21
I’m really curious about all the talk about Satterfield finding a new job. I know the coaching fraternity likes to recycle guys but is there really much of a market for a guy who was repeatedly demoted by one HC and was an abysmal failure this year?
I don't think he will be fired. There is a picture of him recruiting Brubaker with Adkins, Lembo and Beamer at the top of the page on GCC.

I don't know if Beamer has decided to keep him, or if he was told the BOT would not approve another buyout. But I feel 90% certain he will be back next year. The one thing that might change is if he gets an NFL offer. But they won't pay him nearly a million a year.

At any rate, the signs all point to Satterfield coming back.

Reactions: FightinRooster
I don't think he will be fired. There is a picture of him recruiting Brubaker with Adkins, Lembo and Beamer at the top of the page on GCC.

I don't know if Beamer has decided to keep him, or if he was told the BOT would not approve another buyout. But I feel 90% certain he will be back next year. The one thing that might change is if he gets an NFL offer. But they won't pay him nearly a million a year.

At any rate, the signs all point to Satterfield coming back.
Everything about that scenario is pathetic. But it's the Garnet Way I guess.

Everything about that scenario is pathetic. But it's the Garnet Way I guess.
I was severely chastised for saying this on another board, but there is no "will" to fire underperforming coaches after replacing an entire staff just a year ago. I've read that "insiders" have reported that the money is there to buy out his remaining year, but that is far from taking it before the BOT and asking them to sign off on it after the Frank Martin fiasco. I just don't see it happening.

I hope I am underestimating the probability that he will head back to the NFL after the bowl game or after signing day.

I was severely chastised for saying this on another board, but there is no "will" to fire underperforming coaches after replacing an entire staff just a year ago. I've read that "insiders" have reported that the money is there to buy out his remaining year, but that is far from taking it before the BOT and asking them to sign off on it after the Frank Martin fiasco. I just don't see it happening.

I hope I am underestimating the probability that he will head back to the NFL after the bowl game or after signing day.
If he waits that long, a lot of damage will have been done. If he's retained for next year, we deserve every turd sandwich we're going to get served next year.

Programs that are serious about winning DO NOT DO THIS.

I wonder if after three months of constant whining on this board, do all the Beamer haters periods sync up, like girls that room together in college?

What likely happened is that most of the big name proven OCs looked at the shitshow Muschamp left behind and saw a mess on offense and said "no thanks, i'll wait for something better".

Yeah at this point he's just being a contrarian when he's actually rooting for us to keep Satterfield.

Never said that. Just that he didn't get a fair shot with the mess he inherited. If Beamer could upgrade to a big name, I'd be all for it.

But he won't, because he can't. Because no big name with come here to deal with this mess.

If he waits that long, a lot of damage will have been done. If he's retained for next year, we deserve every turd sandwich we're going to get served next year.

Programs that are serious about winning DO NOT DO THIS.

They also don't have 4 OCs in 5 years and look to switch again after a year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT