ADVERTISEMENT

Bench Bentley! He hasn't improved yet

southflcock

Nov 6, 2001
The most important player on a college fb team is the QB. All good teams that progress have a good QB. I have not seen any improvement in Jake since he started. Most of his throws are either too high, too low, or to the wrong shoulder. He looks composed but he needs to scramble more upfield and not force a pass into a covered receiver of expect a miracle catch each time. Connor Shaw won so many games for us because of his legs!~ Maybe it's time to test the waters with Joyner!

The most important player on a college fb team is the QB. All good teams that progress have a good QB. I have not seen any improvement in Jake since he started. Most of his throws are either too high, too low, or to the wrong shoulder. He looks composed but he needs to scramble more upfield and not force a pass into a covered receiver of expect a miracle catch each time. Connor Shaw won so many games for us because of his legs!~ Maybe it's time to test the waters with Joyner!

And put Scar in to replace Bentley???? Scar is the back up and Joyner isn't ready.... Stupid suggestion to bench Bentley when you don't have another great QB pushing Bentley in practice...

Shaw had other good QB's pushing him in practice like Thompson... We have no one as back up who can come in and take over if Bentley goes down....

And put Scar in to replace Bentley???? Scar is the back up and Joyner isn't ready.... Stupid suggestion to bench Bentley when you don't have another great QB pushing Bentley in practice...

Shaw had other good QB's pushing him in practice like Thompson... We have no one as back up who can come in and take over if Bentley goes down....
When the game is out of hand why not try another QB, what is it going to hurt? And i agree with the other poster that Bentley hasn't gotten any better at all that i can see.

When the game is out of hand why not try another QB, what is it going to hurt? And i agree with the other poster that Bentley hasn't gotten any better at all that i can see.

You don't get it... Scar is the back up... According to the coaching staff, Joyner isn't ready or he would have come in against Coastal Carolina running the offense after Bentley...

Bentley is our best option at QB. It is disappointing he hasn’t gotten much better. That was also a very good team so let’s see how he responds.

It’s not just Bentley that doesn’t seem ready to play against good teams. We haven’t competed against the best teams in 5 years. Still a very long way to go.

A pass hit the rb in the face and deflected for a td. We couldn’t run the ball. Our defense couldn’t stop uga especially in the 3rd quarter, and you start a thread about benching the qb? You obviously are just grasping at straws

Bentley was 30 of 47 with at least 5 drops. One interception was a ball Rico should have caught; and, the other a great play call by the D Coordinator to have the safety to jump the route. Anyone that doesn't think Bentley has improved has never played QB.

We lost that game because they were more talented in the trenches. We could have stayed in it if we hadn't made stupid mistakes, could pick up third and shorts, and caught the football; but, ultimately their running backs, running behind those linemen, wore down our defense. We saw that in the 3rd quarter when we went three and out twice and put a tired defense back on the field too quickly. 21 points later, our chances were out the door.

Reality is that we are more talented this year than any year since Connor Shaw left, but we have a tough schedule. Right now, as much as it pains me to say, I see us losing to A&M and Clemson. Ole Miss could go either way. UK believes they can beat us. UF and UT are always dangerous. The schedule is brutal but there is improvement and injuries could play a role in how we fare in any of the above games.

Keep your head up guys, this was never a three year rebuild. Though we were all thoroughly pleased with the surprise campaign last year. I always felt it will take 6 or 7 to get us to the point of being relevant every year, as it did for Spurrier. Champ is working his tail off to bring in talent but it's still going to take time. For now, we are overmatched against the top 5 teams who have recruited a lot of depth.

Bentley was 30 of 47 with at least 5 drops. One interception was a ball Rico should have caught; and, the other a great play call by the D Coordinator to have the safety to jump the route. Anyone that doesn't think Bentley has improved has never played QB.

We lost that game because they were more talented in the trenches. We could have stayed in it if we hadn't made stupid mistakes, could pick up third and shorts, and caught the football; but, ultimately their running backs, running behind those linemen, wore down our defense. We saw that in the 3rd quarter when we went three and out twice and put a tired defense back on the field too quickly. 21 points later, our chances were out the door.

Reality is that we are more talented this year than any year since Connor Shaw left, but we have a tough schedule. Right now, as much as it pains me to say, I see us losing to A&M and Clemson. Ole Miss could go either way. UK believes they can beat us. UF and UT are always dangerous. The schedule is brutal but there is improvement and injuries could play a role in how we fare in any of the above games.

Keep your head up guys, this was never a three year rebuild. Though we were all thoroughly pleased with the surprise campaign last year. I always felt it will take 6 or 7 to get us to the point of being relevant every year, as it did for Spurrier. Champ is working his tail off to bring in talent but it's still going to take time. For now, we are overmatched against the top 5 teams who have recruited a lot of depth.
you make some good points but our schedule will always be brutal. We need or at least I do that our qb is overrated by some. That isn't his fault, just the way it is. Some have "it" some dont

I don't think that's totally on his shoulders, to me the game plan didn't start off well. I don't think any SEC team can run an empty backfield and be consistently successful in league play. I think there was only 1 jet sweep to Deebo? We stopped it then but that kid is too special not to do some variations on it. Bentley was killing us on the short passes that grind up clock and keep the chains moving. Nothing wrong with setting up the run with that kind of passing, just thought the game plan was predictable and one dimensional imho

I don't think that's totally on his shoulders, to me the game plan didn't start off well. I don't think any SEC team can run an empty backfield and be consistently successful in league play. I think there was only 1 jet sweep to Deebo? We stopped it then but that kid is too special not to do some variations on it. Bentley was killing us on the short passes that grind up clock and keep the chains moving. Nothing wrong with setting up the run with that kind of passing, just thought the game plan was predictable and one dimensional imho
Agreed. Jake and Mcclendon deserve criticism. We have some that still think the OC called a great game and only the players should be held accountable for a 17 point output yesterday-7 which were in garbage time.

Reactions: Brace1
How the offense could be the topic of discussion today is beyond me! The defense was horrible. Can't tackle, can't get off blocks, no pass rush without a blitz and even that was minimal, defensive line is horribly out manned size wise and effort was suspect at times. Bentley is the least of this teams concerns.

Every big game Jake has played in, the team was not prepared and that’s on Muschamp and his staff. It’s like we’re hoping to win, not expecting to and it’s written all over Bentley’s face in the big games!’ Like what we’re gonna do coach (this didn’t work) then you see Muschamp on the sideline, looking like we “made a mistake” implementing that ‘scheme guys.’ Then to make things worse they have no plan B, they just keep going with that same game plan to they are forced to throw it out.

Reactions: flatwoodcock
How the offense could be the topic of discussion today is beyond me! The defense was horrible. Can't tackle, can't get off blocks, no pass rush without a blitz and even that was minimal, defensive line is horribly out manned size wise and effort was suspect at times. Bentley is the least of this teams concerns.
The Defense is definitely a problem and I knew this because we lack size, and we have no depth, but still the offense and the coaching staff has to shoulder, some of the blame here. The offense did nothing to help the defense out yesterday, they kept putting them back on the field to be leaned on by 330 pound men, and that’s gonna tire a defense out, especially an undersized one like ours.

Our system must be so complicated no one can come in as a freshman and be good.Eyeroll

Joyner should have a package. I understand it would mainly be to run, but if he can’t make those 8 yard throws Jake threw all night shame on us for signing him as a QB.

How about the 6 or 7 dropped passes....or the reflection off the chest of a running back for an interception for a touchdown....

Who says Scarneccia couldn't run the team? Who says Joyner isn't ready? Those who wish to avoid controversy, of course. Better to say "they ain't ready" than to find out another QB, more talented for situational substitutions, is already here, sitting on the bench. I mean, if they can't play, why feed 'em and clothe 'em ?

Reactions: danh011
Who says Scarneccia couldn't run the team? Who says Joyner isn't ready? Those who wish to avoid controversy, of course. Better to say "they ain't ready" than to find out another QB, more talented for situational substitutions, is already here, sitting on the bench. I mean, if they can't play, why feed 'em and clothe 'em ?
I wish we played more freshman in the first 4 games to take advantage of the new red shirt rule. Doesn't look like we are going to though. Recruits see that too.

Thats on Roper for and Champ for not feveloping another qb ...thank god Dan Werner is here.

Seems to me Muschamp, and every other coach feels Bentley is the best we have. If Scarneccia was better than Bentley, this staff wouldn’t have played Bentley instead of red-shirting him when Scarneccia couldn’t get in the top 3 QBs on a team with a walk-on and two true freshmen. I think there is plenty of evidence that Scarneccia isn’t a guy capable of leading this team and having a solid season. Those who want to tear Bentley down choose to ignore it...

Bench Bentley! He hasn't improved yet

This is asinine! Do you pay attention? These coaches’ livelihood is on the line. Don’t you think they’re going to play the guys that give them the best chance to win? Bentley is the best we have right now. I’m hoping that Hilinski can push him next year.

From my understanding, it is just 4 games....not the first four similar to how it used to be.
I have a feeling that's what Dabo is doing with his freshman QB. He's gotten some valuable experience against a patsy and on the road in a hostile environment.

I have a feeling that's what Dabo is doing with his freshman QB. He's gotten some valuable experience against a patsy and on the road in a hostile environment.
Seriously doubt that. Bryant is a senior and dumbo wants Lawrence to be ready and experienced going into 2019. He probably wants him to take over full time this year. I hope DJoyner can show some promise even on limited play time fir us

Reactions: rogue cock

He’s not doing that! The kid will only be there for 3 years. He’s not going to redshirt him.

He’s not doing that! The kid will only be there for 3 years. He’s not going to redshirt him.
Oh please. He will be there for 4 or 5 years if Dabo shows him the money to be there. Ask that defensive line about it.

Both sides of the ball sucked yesterday in the 2md half. However, Jake has left a great deal to be desired in big games, much more often than not. He is simply not the field general he is supposed to be in big games.
And if the guys on the bench are ready or aren't good, then why the hell are they still here? Why didnt we show them the door and get backups who could step up when needed?

Both sides of the ball sucked yesterday in the 2md half. However, Jake has left a great deal to be desired in big games, much more often than not. He is simply not the field general he is supposed to be in big games.
And if the guys on the bench are ready or aren't good, then why the hell are they still here? Why didnt we show them the door and get backups who could step up when needed?
Now, now, No need for logic to be brought into the conversation.

Bentley does not have what it takes to win ballgames like a Shaw, but I am not at practice to see which QB has the team, practices best, etc. You have to trust the staff to make these decisions and hope we have somebody in the pipeline who can get it done.

That’s not logic! It’s not that simple. We have offered several QBs. We have the ones that chose to be Gamecocks.
We don't seem to mind throwing freshman out there at any position except QB. I almost fell over with a heart attack when I saw them put in Scarnechia last week. Should have played him yesterday in the second half. Jake has been in enough big games to show his stuff and he's just not big game material. That's fine, not everyone is.

Reactions: Sumptacock
You made sense until this paragraph. They are the qbs that wanted to be gamecocks. Are you suggesting that if they are not better than Bentley then we should kick em off the team and hope we can get better ones with their scholarships?

Reactions: Brace1
Unfortunately even CostCo won't take back the Bentley coach and QB package since we opened it 3 years ago, they don't accept returns more than 3 months old.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT