ADVERTISEMENT

Bench Bentley! He hasn't improved yet

With the redshirt rule being what it is, Joyner should have had some snaps by now. We've had two straight games in which the issue has been decided by the time the fourth quarter started.

He’s not...even then. He’ll be in the draft after 3 years. Doesn’t matter how many he played.
It makes no sense not to put a redshirt on him if he can't play anyway. No one knows for certain what could happen in the course of those three years. You wouldn't lose anything by red-shirting him if he couldn't play. They don't have a limit on them.

Did anyone count the number of drops? I know of at least 5 and there may have been more. If they catch those passes Jake is 35-47. That's nearly 75% against the #3 team in the country. Anyone who thinks he didnt play well yesterday is not paying attention. If he puts up those completion percentage numbers, throws for over 300 yards and has maybe one pick, it's a great stat line. Period. All of those things happen if we catch the passes that hit our receivers in the hands.

Instead, our receivers and backs dropped balls, our linemen on both sides got pushed around, we had no run game threat, we missed short conversions that kept our defense on the field too long. Those are the reasons we lost, not Jake.

The sky is not falling. We are getting better but so are our opponents. We have a long way to go. It is going to take time. We have someone that wants to win and works his tail off to do so. Be patient friends.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Did anyone count the number of drops? I know of at least 5 and there may have been more. If they catch those passes Jake is 35-47. That's nearly 75% against the #3 team in the country. Anyone who thinks he didnt play well yesterday is not paying attention. If he puts up those completion percentage numbers, throws for over 300 yards and has maybe one pick, it's a great stat line. Period. All of those things happen if we catch the passes that hit our receivers in the hands.

Instead, our receivers and backs dropped balls, our linemen on both sides got pushed around, we had no run game threat, we missed short conversions that kept our defense on the field too long. Those are the reasons we lost, not Jake.

The sky is not falling. We are getting better but so are our opponents. We have a long way to go. It is going to take time. We have someone that wants to win and works his tail off to do so. Be patient friends.
We've got to handle business this coming Saturday. After that, every game is going to get urgent.

With the redshirt rule being what it is, Joyner should have had some snaps by now. We've had two straight games in which the issue has been decided by the time the fourth quarter started.

I’d say some coaches will wait until the last 4 games. I would. Gives these guys more time to learn offense, put on muscle. And basically with 4 games left in the season their Long freshman years have started. I like that more than playing early and then just sitting and watching.

Bentley does not have what it takes to win ballgames like a Shaw, but I am not at practice to see which QB has the team, practices best, etc. You have to trust the staff to make these decisions and hope we have somebody in the pipeline who can get it done.

Namely he doesn’t have Lattimore, Alshon, a decent OL, and a defense loaded with players that still play in the NFL today. That’s the biggest think Bentley is lacking.

Reactions: WorldTraveler
You're right about almost all that. But the people who compare him unfavorably to Shaw are right also.

I agree. But go watch Shaw in his Soph and Junior seasons. It wasn’t as pretty as most remember. Shaw was an absolute stud his senior season and that’s how we remember his career. But before that, he managed games for the most part, though he was lights out against Clemson his soph year.

I’d love to see Bentley have a chance with a great team around him. Some confidence couldn’t hurt the kid. Shaw was awesome and probably could’ve done more than he was doing early on when he played. Bentley has no choice. He’s been asked to do everything from day 1.

I agree. But go watch Shaw in his Soph and Junior seasons. It wasn’t as pretty as most remember. Shaw was an absolute stud his senior season and that’s how we remember his career. But before that, he managed games.

I’d love to see Bentley have a chance with a great team around him. Some confidence couldn’t hurt the kid.
Connor got good as a junior as well. Shaw always had the ability to extend plays with his feet and even to run the ball downfield some if necessary. We aren't going to get that with Jake.

Connor got good as a junior as well. Shaw always had the ability to extend plays with his feet and even to run the ball downfield some if necessary. We aren't going to get that with Jake.
I think this is the crux of the problem. Conner developed and got better every year, culminating in his incredible senior year. Jake looks almost the exact same as he did in his first game. Unfortunately, the fact that Joyner hasn't seen the field yet validates what I've feared all along: The coaches have zero faith in his abilities at QB.

This loss certainly isn't just on Jake. The coaches and defense bear a lot of the blame. But Jake owns his share too.

I think this is the crux of the problem. Conner developed and got better every year, culminating in his incredible senior year. Jake looks almost the exact same as he did in his first game. Unfortunately, the fact that Joyner hasn't seen the field yet validates what I've feared all along: The coaches have zero faith in his abilities at QB.

This loss certainly isn't just on Jake. The coaches and defense bear a lot of the blame. But Jake owns his share too.
If your assessment of the situation with Joyner is correct, well, that's sickening.

WOW, Did I watch a different game, SC couldnt run the ball, they played to stop Bentley after they got up Double Digits.. Deebo was shut down as well.. Bentley was hitting receivers early and the werent catching them, He was throwing it pretty hard at times, but you are a SEC College football receiver or back, You have to catch them... I saw mutltiple drops, and yes the biggest play of he game, The Pick Six, hit the players hands, was it a tad to Hard, Maybe, Bentley is the best Option for USC right now. PERIOD.. Georgia is just that much better than South Carolina, PERIOD!!

No other QB is going to get meaningful snaps with daddy roaming the sidelines. Muschamp needs to keep Bobby happy for recruiting purposes.

The most important player on a college fb team is the QB. All good teams that progress have a good QB. I have not seen any improvement in Jake since he started. Most of his throws are either too high, too low, or to the wrong shoulder. He looks composed but he needs to scramble more upfield and not force a pass into a covered receiver of expect a miracle catch each time. Connor Shaw won so many games for us because of his legs!~ Maybe it's time to test the waters with Joyner!
Don't think DJ would be effective enough as a passer at this point (I have doubts that he will ever be). JB -- warts and all -- is our best option atm.

Don't think DJ would be effective enough as a passer at this point (I have doubts that he will ever be). JB -- warts and all -- is our best option atm.
Guys, at one point he was 16-21 during a stretch and that was with two dropped passes. We ran for under 50 yards, while Georgia was picking up 10 yds per carry. I tell you what, put Jake at Georgia behind their line with their running game and let Fromm come here. When you can't run the football your qb is going to struggle.

Driving ball before half, perfect throw across middle and we drop it. Rico drops 2 and 1 resulted in int for TD. If he catches that ball we are across mid field. Beautiful play setup, throws pretty pass and Rico drops and it stops a drive. 3rd quarter, 3rd and about 6, hits Crosby right in hands and he drops it, so instead of first down we are punting.You have to make those plays, our qb was not the problem.

Reactions: DrMickey
Namely he doesn’t have Lattimore, Alshon, a decent OL, and a defense loaded with players that still play in the NFL today. That’s the biggest think Bentley is lacking.
I'm sorry but this isn't last year and the OL gave Bentley a nice pocket to throw from the whole game. The OL played about as well as you could hope going up against UGAs DL.

you make some good points but our schedule will always be brutal. We need or at least I do that our qb is overrated by some. That isn't his fault, just the way it is. Some have "it" some dont

This may be the easiest schedule we've had in 20 years. No Alabama, no LSU, no Auburn. Only two top 25 teams (Georgia and Clemson) when the season kicked off.

Reactions: johnnohj
Guys, at one point he was 16-21 during a stretch and that was with two dropped passes. We ran for under 50 yards, while Georgia was picking up 10 yds per carry. I tell you what, put Jake at Georgia behind their line with their running game and let Fromm come here. When you can't run the football your qb is going to struggle.

Driving ball before half, perfect throw across middle and we drop it. Rico drops 2 and 1 resulted in int for TD. If he catches that ball we are across mid field. Beautiful play setup, throws pretty pass and Rico drops and it stops a drive. 3rd quarter, 3rd and about 6, hits Crosby right in hands and he drops it, so instead of first down we are punting.You have to make those plays, our qb was not the problem.
Bentley was sacked less than Fromm. Our offensive line played well I thought. Some of the running plays, if you go back and watch, Dowdle misses the hole. It's there but he misses it. He wasn't himself Saturday for sure. People can blame drops but I watched Jake throw it into TRIPPLE coverage in the end zone and get intercepted. That was Jake being Jake. I also watched him stare down receivers so bad that defenders were all over them as soon as they caught the ball. No looking off the linebacker with his eyes or nothing.

Reactions: rogue cock
you make some good points but our schedule will always be brutal. We need or at least I do that our qb is overrated by some. That isn't his fault, just the way it is. Some have "it" some dont

This may be the easiest schedule we've had in 20 years. No Alabama, no LSU, no Auburn. Only two top 25 teams (Georgia and Clemson) when the season kicked off.
easy but still tough. I get your point however.

He can play in 4 games and maintain his red shirt. I don't get not giving snaps to someone in the 4th quarter. Do we care about Jake's stats?

Reactions: king ward
I think the turning point in the game (if there can be one in a 25 point loss) was the 2 minute drill to end the half, when Jake hit Deebo on a crossing route for a first down and it was dropped. That was across mid-field. Score there and it’s either 17-13 or tied at 17. Until that point, Jake had played an excellent game. But by the time he got the ball back (for three straight running plays), we were down by 17. Against a great defense. That changes everything.

Remember in 2010 when everyone wanted to bench Garcia because we only scored 17 points against UGA?

Didn’t happen. Because our defense was great and we won. Again...blame Bentley all you want. And I’m fine with it to some extent because he hasn’t played well in big games. But my goodness, when will the defense show up against a quality team? Our head coach is supposed to be a genius on that side of the ball.

Remember in 2010 when everyone wanted to bench Garcia because we only scored 17 points against UGA?

Didn’t happen. Because our defense was great and we won. Again...blame Bentley all you want. And I’m fine with it to some extent because he hasn’t played well in big games. But my goodness, when will the defense show up against a quality team? Our head coach is supposed to be a genius on that side of the ball.
Thankfully, we won't see an OL that massive and quick or a set of elite RBs like UGA had the remainder of the season. UGA has stockpiled talent at those two positions. Ours are good, their's are elite....that was the big difference.

Those first 3-5inutes of the third quarter when UGA decided to throw everything else out the door and run the ball was devastating. We don't yet have the talent and experience along the DL to deal with that. We have talent but they are young (2nd and 3rd string are a bunch of freshmen). We'll get to where we can do a better job, but Saturday wasn't going to be the day.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
He can play in 4 games and maintain his red shirt. I don't get not giving snaps to someone in the 4th quarter. Do we care about Jake's stats?
Nothing to gain and tons to lose by playing any of our key people in the fourth quarter, certainly after our first possession.

I'm sorry but this isn't last year and the OL gave Bentley a nice pocket to throw from the whole game. The OL played about as well as you could hope going up against UGAs DL.

Is this why Muschamp chose to start his postgame PC talking about how bad they were? More to OL than sack statistics, which was about the only good thing they did. Which could be credited to Bentley throwing off his back foot often because he was pressured.

We had some decent runs. But never consistent enough running the ball. OL is better than last year. But it is way worse than what Shaw had to work with. It’s night and day, which was the context of the comment I made.

You made sense until this paragraph. They are the qbs that wanted to be gamecocks. Are you suggesting that if they are not better than Bentley then we should kick em off the team and hope we can get better ones with their scholarships?

Theoretically, we could do this and be fine because it's not like we ever play the backups anyways. So what difference does it make if they are on the bench or selling Dippin' Dots in the upper deck? Just a thought.

Theoretically, we could do this and be fine because it's not like we ever play the backups anyways. So what difference does it make if they are on the bench or selling Dippin' Dots in the upper deck? Just a thought.

I’m sure that’ll go well when trying to recruit future QBs. I doubt any other coaches would ever point out that we just kick guys to the curb when they don’t win the starting job. Full proof plan!

I’m sure that’ll go well when trying to recruit future QBs. I doubt any other coaches would ever point out that we just kick guys to the curb when they don’t win the starting job. Full proof plan!
The problem is that they aren't even winning the backup job, as evidenced by the fact our coaches are afraid to put them in when the starter isn't cutting it. Sorry, but I'm of the school of thought if the starter isn't cutting it, sit his butt down and put someone in who will. No job is safe. And I say this for ANY and ALL positions. If their feelings get hurt, oh well. Put on your big boy boxers and deal with it.

Last edited:
I don't understand the criticism of Bentley. We have a lot of problems on this team, but Bentley was not one of them on Saturday. He was 64% passing on a day no receiver could get open. The completions he made were on the money as the receivers were all covered like blankets.

Our receivers on Saturday were terrible. They could not get open and they looked as thought they had practiced volleyball all week instead of football the way they batted the ball around. The pick 6 was totally the receivers fault. Bentley was on target and the receiver did not try to catch the ball with his hands. He let it hit his shoulder pads and it bounced up in the air. This happened on multple occasions. We were only lucky we didn't have more interceptions. Our receivers were supposed to be the some of the best in the nation but proved to be barely avg in this game.

The defense got manhandled by the UGA line all day. I was concerned about this after the CC game when our line did not dominate the CC oline. UGA's line is light years better than CC. We don't seem to have anyone in the secondary that can tackle either. Every scoring drive UGA had was due to their ability to extend drives on 3rd down due to poor tackling by our defense.

There were multiple problems Saturday with this team. Bentley was not one of them.

Reactions: Zachboom

I never said that was the way to go. I was stating that it would be possible based on the way we utilize our backups.

But your right. If we get rid of the backups who would we have to wear the neon hats on the sideline and wave their arms? That alone is worth the price of tuition...

Reactions: robertfootball
I never said that was the way to go. I was stating that it would be possible based on the way we utilize our backups.

But your right. If we get rid of the backups who would we have to wear the neon hats on the sideline and wave their arms? That alone is worth the price of tuition...

Yep, that’s all there is to it.

The problem is that they aren't even winning the backup job, as evidenced by the fact our coaches are afraid to put them in when the starter isn't cutting it. Sorry, but I'm of the school of thought if the starter isn't cutting it, sit his butt down and put someone in who will. No job is safe. And I say this for ANY and ALL positions. If their feelings get hurt, oh well. Put on your big boy boxers and deal with it.

Im sure we would if there was anyone capable of doing better. It wasn’t that long ago Muschamp burned Bentley’s redshirt season to play 6 games because he had someone better than the 2 guys not getting it done. Not many coaches would’ve done that but Muschamp did...just 2 years ago.

I doubt he’d be reluctant to do the same now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT