ADVERTISEMENT

Best coach ever at USC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best COACH ever at USC? Ray Tanner, NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! SECOND best COACH? Dawn Staley, NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! THIRD best COACH? Curtis Frye, NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! 4 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS (COMBINED)
This.

Coach Morrison is my pick
I'm assuming you mean football and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are over here trying to actually have a conversation unlike what happens when we go over there (although we are usually banned after one post). How can you possibly think Morrison was a better coach than Spurrier? Win totals? No. Bowl wins? No. Best season? No (x 3). Better style? Push.

I assumed FB. If all sports u gotta say Ray and Dawn. I'd say Dawn more than Ray bc imho she took a bigger dumpster fire to a championship
Harder sport to recruit too. Baseball is big here. Girls BB not so much

4c51f63aa6346.image.jpg

I would have Tanner #2...Dawn at #1. Ray took over a reasonably successful program with loads of support and made it one of the premier programs in the country. Dawn on the other hand took a terrible program, changed its culture, garnered unprecedented support among a community that had never supported that sport before and lead us to the promised land.

Spurrier cuz 5 bomb was great and he made dat boy look like and idiot which wasn't really all that hard I guess lol

If looked back at Ray tanner and Dawn Staley before starting there job at USC, its not even close there either. Dawn was more of a Steve spurrier/ Lou Holts type of hire!
(Splash hire)!!! Dawn Staley was a splash hire b/c of her OVERALL success prior to coaching at USC! Ray Tanner not so much! Ray had a winning percentage at NC STATE, that was it! He coache for 4 national champion ships, won 2 (50%) !!! The BEST football coach is Steve spurrier period!! Top to botton even his NAME the best Coach!!!!

No COACH won a national championship in baseball prior to Ray Tanner, history or no history, it is what it is!!!!

If we're talking football onl - Spurrier. Built the program to a consistent winner, 3 best seasons in school history, 5 in a row over Clemson. Spurrier is the reason we have higher expectations in football now, and showed us that it CAN be done here. Morrison was good, no doubt, but his signature season is marred by a loss to freakin' Navy and they didn't win a bowl game. Spurrier had 3 11 win seasons. While the last year or 2 didn't go well for Spurrier, it shouldn't take away the fact that he got it done and his name was never attached to cheating. Had Morrison lived longer, there's not telling if he would have succeeded in the SEC or if he would have had us on probabation (there was a lot of smoke that seemed to have been covered up about him).

If we're not talking about just football... I won't tell you that you're wrong if you pick Tanner or Staley. Good arguments for both. Coach Frye did some great things earlier in his career and is still sending folks to the Olympics even if the overall team is not as good. Back in her prime Coach Compton did some great things with softball. The golf and tennis programs have been consistent winners before current coaches, but the women's golf coach now is doing some really impressive things. I think I read they've won 5 NCAA regionals in the last 8 years or so....not just advanced from regoinals to nationals, but finished first. That's tough to do.I happend to follow a lot of the sports most folks don't care about, and I'm impressed with the coaches we have in a lot of sports. Women's soccer has been very very good, especially the last 3 years or so. Pretty good time to be a Gamecock!

Marcus Lattimore! He wasn't a sport coach but a how to live your life coach. Without any doubt he was and is the most successful coach we have ever had or ever hope to get.

Reactions: cocky4
Spurrier won more games than Morrison but given more time i think Morrison would have been the best coach. He changed the culture at USC until his death and had the Fire Ant Defense that was unstoppable in the day. And the first coach to win 10 games and yeah we choked against Navy but Spurrier always lost one game every year that we shouldn't have lost and if he wasn't hard headed we could have won the east a couple of times.

Coach Morrison is my pick
Joe Mo would have loved a few years under him. He wasn't scared to run anything! Too bad his lifestyle caught up to him way too soon!
If Jim Carlins staff had been there at least 4 more years we'd have won at least one NATTY! that bunch could coach and recruit!!! I watched several colleges breaking rules at the state track meet and the gamecock staff never did!! Coach Carlin did it by the book!

Had Morrison lived longer, there's not telling if he would have succeeded in the SEC or if he would have had us on probabation (there was a lot of smoke that seemed to have been covered up about him).

What ironic word usage!

Joe Mo would have loved a few years under him. He wasn't scared to run anything! Too bad his lifestyle caught up to him way too soon!
If Jim Carlins staff had been there at least 4 more years we'd have won at least one NATTY! that bunch could coach and recruit!!! I watched several colleges breaking rules at the state track meet and the gamecock staff never did!! Coach Carlin did it by the book!

Posting credibility lost.

Reactions: andypants
If we're talking football onl - Spurrier. Built the program to a consistent winner, 3 best seasons in school history, 5 in a row over Clemson. Spurrier is the reason we have higher expectations in football now, and showed us that it CAN be done here. Morrison was good, no doubt, but his signature season is marred by a loss to freakin' Navy and they didn't win a bowl game. Spurrier had 3 11 win seasons. While the last year or 2 didn't go well for Spurrier, it shouldn't take away the fact that he got it done and his name was never attached to cheating. Had Morrison lived longer, there's not telling if he would have succeeded in the SEC or if he would have had us on probabation (there was a lot of smoke that seemed to have been covered up about him).

That is fair. I will say that Spurrier and Morrison coached different programs basically. It was not easy being an independent and the resources were not what they are now. I think now we just need a good coach to be successful...in Morrison's time a coach had to be exceptional to succeed here.

Morrison cheated and was going down anyway had he not died. The whole team was juiced up. Even Todd Ellis. All the guys were huge but word finally got out. I want to say we got the cover on sports illustrated because of it

Reactions: king ward
Morrison cheated and was going down anyway had he not died. The whole team was juiced up. Even Todd Ellis. All the guys were huge but word finally got out. I want to say we got the cover on sports illustrated because of it

There was steroid use...that is probably true but it was going on at just about every major college program. It certainly was not something we did particularly well compared to many.....go back and look at the difference in size between us and several programs we played against. UGA dwarfed us back in the mid 80's. Morrison could take less talented teams and still win. He kept up to date and was on the cutting edge of football.

I will say this...you give Morrison and Spurrier the same exact players....Morrison would have done more with it.

Reactions: flatwoodcock

Wrong! We had an SI article, but not a cover. Roche & Jeffery are the only Cocks to ever grace the cover in a Carolina uniform.

He's my pick too. Keep in mind as well that he had to fight the politics that played a significant role in the football program. His biggest fight imo was with our scumbag President while serving as Head Coach & Athletic Director. To accomplish what he did here in spite of the adversity he faced is nothing short of amazing.

In the last four years, coach Staley has a 59-5 record against the SEC in regular season play. She has won four straight regular season SEC tittles and the winner of three straight SEC tournaments. I believe this is a resume that no other South Carolina coach can claim

Reactions: cocky4
He's my pick too. Keep in mind as well that he had to fight the politics that played a significant role in the football program. His biggest fight imo was with our scumbag President while serving as Head Coach & Athletic Director. To accomplish what he did here in spite of the adversity he faced is nothing short of amazing.
Spot on!

There was steroid use...that is probably true but it was going on at just about every major college program. It certainly was not something we did particularly well compared to many.....go back and look at the difference in size between us and several programs we played against. UGA dwarfed us back in the mid 80's. Morrison could take less talented teams and still win. He kept up to date and was on the cutting edge of football.

I will say this...you give Morrison and Spurrier the same exact players....Morrison would have done more with it.
I agree brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT