ADVERTISEMENT

Best Player From Your High School

Del Wilks went on to play at USC. Even though we won 4A championship he is the only player from our team that I can remember that went on to college to play football. I went on to college to play basketball. Richard Bell wanted me to walk on at USC to play wide receiver.

Basketball - Walter Davis and Bobby Jones (played at UNC and in the NBA)

Football - Roman Phifer (played at UCLA and played in the NFL. A great guy, too)

One of the best football players I played with dropped out of HS, went to prison, and got shot.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

Basketball - Walter Davis and Bobby Jones (played at UNC and in the NBA)

Football - Roman Phifer (played at UCLA and played in the NFL. A great guy, too)

One of the best football players I played with dropped out of HS, went to prison, and got shot.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

So....you attended South Mecklenberg?? Walter Davis, Bobby Jones, & our own, Mark “Dutch” Greiner, all on the same team! What a heluva squad!!

Gaffney’s Greats
Football: My favorites Robert Hardy RB late 80’s and Sidney Rice though we have had some others including Rocky McIntosh, Dominique Stevenson and Quinshad Davis.

If you go way back it’s probably Earl Clary The Gaffney Ghost who played at USC in the 1930’s.

Basketball: L.J. Peak

Father’s high school team played Gaffney w/Earl Clary. 1928. Gaffney had a big blocking fullback who was also a good baseball player. Gene Phillips. I think Phillips played both at Furman. He had a son who was an offensive lineman for the Gamecocks in the late 1960’s

Reactions: cadcock
Gaffney’s Greats
Football: My favorites Robert Hardy RB late 80’s and Sidney Rice though we have had some others including Rocky McIntosh, Dominique Stevenson and Quinshad Davis.

If you go way back it’s probably Earl Clary The Gaffney Ghost who played at USC in the 1930’s.

Basketball: L.J. Peak
Kentrell Jones. Can’t overlook him. Best QB ever at Gaffney but dumb as a rock about anything other than football.

Reactions: cadcock
Easley High Green Wave best football player historically is Stanley Morgan. Went to Tennessee and played for the New England Patriots for years. I personally played with RB Eric Meekins in the late 90s and he was unbelievable. Went to Clemson and was moved to safety but played all 4 years. As a Gamecock I was glad, but as a friend of Meek I will always wonder what could have been if he'd gotten his shot running the ball. I was a tight end who saw him score many long touchdowns on Quick 8 and Quick 9 calls LOL.

I remember watching Eric Meekins a few times at Easley. He was a very good High School Running Back. He wasn’t built like one as he was Much taller than most RBs. He looked huge in his pads...was a man amongst boys out there. He definitely got a ton of yards on long explosive runs but not sure how he would’ve held up as a college RB trying to gain small chunks or yards taking hits. He made a lot of players look silly in high school...exposed their skill level. Especially DBs and safeties. He didn’t have a ton of moves, just big and fast and if he got around the corner he was always gone. But truth be told, his brother was the more promising RB...but no idea what happened to him. He didn’t even play most of his HS career.

If memory serves me correctly Easley had another good RB on those teams but his name escapes me. I think he was every bit as good as Meekins. Much bigger...more of a fullback look. He wasn’t the can’t miss prospect but he would’ve been the best back on many teams in the state that season.

Easley also had a good RB a few years after that. Maybe 3 or 4? White guy. Very fast but also built like a fullback. I remember watching him run all over Dorman in what is possibly the biggest upset I’ve ever witnessed in high school football.

During those days I was doing some coaching and scouting. I never understood how a football town such as Easley has been so historically bad since the 70’s and 90’s. I’d go there with a few staffers and we’d often comment that Easley’s best football players were in the stands. No other high school in the upstate had the athletes watching the games like Easley. That always blew us away and left us with the opinion that Easley boys might be soft.

Last edited:
Southside High (public) Greenville

Football- I would say Corey Atkins. Gamecock & spent a season in the NFL

Basketball- Shammond Williams. PG for the tarholes after a stopover at Fork Union Prep. Played professionally overseas in Jordan

Riverside High School:

Football - Brandon Bennet, Treymane Stevens (NC State)

Basketball - Shaun Golden

Baseball - Michael Roth, Kyle Enders (C)

I'm a Greer boy. Your list needs to include Steven Bright for football and Brad Hocking may have been the best baseball player ever at Riverside. I've heard that if he didn't tear his Labrum he'd have been a Top 10 pick straight out of high school. Hocking was 10-0 with a 0.97 ERA his junior year against good competition. That RHS team was stacked, but Hocking was the crown jewel of Ray's 2004 recruiting class prior to the injury.

I remember watching Eric Meekins a few times at Easley. He was a very good High School Running Back. He wasn’t built like one as he was Much taller than most RBs. He looked huge in his pads...was a man amongst boys out there. He definitely got a ton of yards on long explosive runs but not sure how he would’ve held up as a college RB trying to gain small chunks or yards taking hits. He made a lot of players look silly in high school...exposed their skill level. Especially DBs and safeties. He didn’t have a ton of moves, just big and fast and if he got around the corner he was always gone. But truth be told, his brother was the more promising RB...but no idea what happened to him. He didn’t even play most of his HS career.

If memory serves me correctly Easley had another good RB on those teams but his name escapes me. I think he was every bit as good as Meekins. Much bigger...more of a fullback look. He wasn’t the can’t miss prospect but he would’ve been the best back on many teams in the state that season.

Easley also had a good RB a few years after that. Maybe 3 or 4? White guy. Very fast but also built like a fullback. I remember watching him run all over Dorman in what is possibly the biggest upset I’ve ever witnessed in high school football.

During those days I was doing some coaching and scouting. I never understood how a football town such as Easley has been so historically bad since the 70’s and 90’s. I’d go there with a few staffers and we’d often comment that Easley’s best football players were in the stands. No other high school in the upstate had the athletes watching the games like Easley. That always blew us away and left us with the opinion that Easley boys might be soft.
Some of the toughest ones in my high school didn’t play football

I'm a Greer boy. Your list needs to include Steven Bright for football and Brad Hocking may have been the best baseball player ever at Riverside. I've heard that if he didn't tear his Labrum he'd have been a Top 10 pick straight out of high school. Hocking was 10-0 with a 0.97 ERA his junior year against good competition. That RHS team was stacked, but Hocking was the crown jewel of Ray's 2004 recruiting class prior to the injury.
Thanks for reminding me of him. I know that name. I only followed them a little when they were ranked at the top in the country and I believe he was on that team. But I’m not sure. Although that would make sense. I played from 88-92 at Riverside and also played Greer Legion. I could only recall the guys I know and of course the battery mates from our College World Series Championship team that played at Riverside. Proud moment for me. Lol!

Brad Dill I remember from Greer. Hell of an athlete. Played against him in baseball. Greer always had a ton of baseball talent. Very well coached team too. We had a great rivalry between us, Greer, and Byrnes. Then we all played together in Legion ball. :) Good times!!

Reactions: gfluvsthecocks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT