ADVERTISEMENT

Juice Wells entering portal

It's not a matter of politicians having "value", or "wanting" government involvement. It's a matter of getting some things settled when parties cannot. What we have now ain't settled.

If banking had continued to work like it did prior to 2008, the country would have gone to hell. Somebody had to step in, hence the Dodd-Frank Act. Odious, but the issues at hand demanded it.

As for players sitting out, I'd love to see how THAT raises their marketability. 🤣 It would amuse me.
Well, the government sure did **** everything this go around!

Last edited:
Most SEC schools have great facilities though.

I don't see many players turning down an extra $50K+ per year to avoid Vanderbilt.

They have produced plenty of NFL players throughout the years.

Yes- that's why they will likely avoid Vandy- because most schools in the conference have better facilities than Vandy.

Your argument is made of straw. Why woul Vandy have more money to pay an athlete than Texas? Vandy has some big time donors, but Vandy being Vandy- a lot of them aren't going to fork over money to athletics.

Of course Vandy produces some NFL talent. But that's not the point.

"The Culture" is swinging back hard if you haven't been paying attention.

There's a difference between having a job and being enslaved, Dave.

Not to mention, I'd bet all the tea in China I'm far younger than you.

Consider switching out your divisive signature tag line in exchange for your pronouns. Be a uniter.

I still think you are doped up.

Have no idea what "the culture is swinging back hard" even means. NIL is the topic- not your nutty conspiracies.

Why are you concerned about divisiveness? You post some of the most divisive horse manure on the site. Why would I want to be united with you? I can't think of much of anything worse.

It's not a matter of politicians having "value", or "wanting" government involvement. It's a matter of getting some things settled when parties cannot. What we have now ain't settled.

If banking had continued to work like it did prior to 2008, the country would have gone to hell. Somebody had to step in, hence the Dodd-Frank Act. Odious, but the issues at hand demanded it.

As for players sitting out, I'd love to see how THAT raises their marketability. 🤣 It would amuse me.

I'll quote "Since the passage of Dodd–Frank, many Republicans have called for a partial or total repeal of Dodd–Frank"

It IS A MATTER of wanting politicans involved and wanting government involved in the NIL process. I don't want either involved. They won't solve a darn thing. Thinking they will or could is nuts.

I'll remind you of NC State QB MJ Morris who went 3-1 as a starter this year before telling his head coach he wanted to redshirt and sit out the rest of the season.

Yes- that's why they will likely avoid Vandy- because most schools in the conference have better facilities than Vandy.

Your argument is made of straw. Why woul Vandy have more money to pay an athlete than Texas? Vandy has some big time donors, but Vandy being Vandy- a lot of them aren't going to fork over money to athletics.

Of course Vandy produces some NFL talent. But that's not the point.

What are you mindlessly rambling about? My point is that Vandy could be in a better position to capitalize in the NIL environment than many other SEC teams if they chose to focus on football. If they did and became an SEC East force, it would be an NIL farce.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Well, someone is going to get very smart soon.

I would have written contracts for athletes being paid. You must play in X amount of games. You must stay X amount of games/seasons. You cannot transfer to “such/such” schools. On and so forth.

That would be impossible.

The NIL contracts aren't between the school and the player.

Players aren't accepting NIL money from a school.

The people giving money to the collectives, or a sponsor who wants a player to be a sponsor isn't so much worried about how many games they start. They want the publicity of a QB at the local school doing commercials on social media for them.

What are you mindlessly rambling about? My point is that Vandy could be in a better position to capitalize in the NIL environment than many other SEC teams if they chose to focus on football. If they did and became an SEC East force, it would be an NIL farce.

100% impossible to know.

Vandy has a lot of money with certain alums. But Vandy's alum money is more tied up in academic issues and causes, not the football team.

Regardless, they aren't going to overcome a lot of their issues by suddenly offering more money to players. Way too many schools can match it or overcome it.

That would be impossible.

The NIL contracts aren't between the school and the player.

Players aren't accepting NIL money from a school.

The people giving money to the collectives, or a sponsor who wants a player to be a sponsor isn't so much worried about how many games they start. They want the publicity of a QB at the local school doing commercials on social media for them.

You are so incredibly uninformed. Private donor groups are forming LLCs and handing money to players and they have no desire to receive anything else in return besides potential performance on the field. You and I could form an LLC and go out and try to recruit players under the guise of a collective. Imagine that?

100% impossible to know.

Vandy has a lot of money with certain alums. But Vandy's alum money is more tied up in academic issues and causes, not the football team.

Regardless, they aren't going to overcome a lot of their issues by suddenly offering more money to players. Way too many schools can match it or overcome it.

I disagree. Vandy could easily produce more money for NIL funding than us if they chose to direct it at football. The Nashville market is huge.

You are so incredibly uninformed. Private donor groups are forming LLCs and handing money to players and they have no desire to receive anything else in return besides potential performance on the field. You and I could form an LLC and go out and try to recruit players under the guise of a collective. Imagine that?

There are current players that are doing commercials on the air in South Carolina that have been injured their entire college career.

For some businesses or individuals, linking themselves to a particular player has various motivations.

I'll quote "Since the passage of Dodd–Frank, many Republicans have called for a partial or total repeal of Dodd–Frank"

It IS A MATTER of wanting politicans involved and wanting government involved in the NIL process. I don't want either involved. They won't solve a darn thing. Thinking they will or could is nuts.

I'll remind you of NC State QB MJ Morris who went 3-1 as a starter this year before telling his head coach he wanted to redshirt and sit out the rest of the season.
Dodd-Frank is the law until it isn't, and when it isn't, something will replace it since the need is obvious. Legislative action will address the NIL. And sitting out will only wind up costing players money overall.

Dodd-Frank is the law until it isn't, and when it isn't, something will replace it since the need is obvious. Legislative action will address the NIL. And sitting out will only wind up costing players money overall.

The calls to repeal it from Republicans is to get rid of it and no replacement has even been mentioned. They want it gone.

The last thing we need is politicians involved in "fixing things." It's amazing how much faith you have in the government to fix college football.

Sitting out isn't going to cost MJ Morris. He's going to get a very attractive offer to play somewhere else after putting an early stop to his playing year this year at NC State.

Last edited:
The calls to repeat it from Republicans is to get rid of it and no replacement has even been mentioned. They want it gone.

The last thing we need is politicians involved in "fixing things." It's amazing how much faith you have in the government to fix college football.

Sitting out isn't going to cost MJ Morris. He's going to get a very attractive offer to play somewhere else after putting an early stop to his playing year this year at NC State.
I'm taking the micro perspective in the first instance, and the macro view in the second.

NIL and portal transfers without sitting out one year, will slowly kill college football. The only schools able to compete without big NIL money are schools with "Bear Bryant-type coaches" ("he could beat yours with his and take yours to beat his").
I believe that’s Dabo’s approach. You surround a top coach with great assistants coaches, recruiters, it can be done. I believe Dabo is going to get it done based on past success as a “ recruiter. “ in today recruiting world it’s more important to recruit your players on your roster than high school players hypothetically. Culture for sure matters! “ Welcome Home! “

Why would he not play next year if he stayed?

I could see him doing something similar to what the NC State kid. Once he felt he had done enough to secure his draft status, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he shut it down and refused to play. I think you are going to see more of that going forward. Once a team is out of the playoff contention, I could see the NFL prospects calling it quits and sitting out for the rest of the season.

I could see him doing something similar to what the NC State kid. Once he felt he had done enough to secure his draft status, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he shut it down and refused to play. I think you are going to see more of that going forward. Once a team is out of the playoff contention, I could see the NFL prospects calling it quits and sitting out for the rest of the season.
While Wells would definitely get drafted, he is far from a 1st round lock or even 2nd round. I think he needs to play and wants to do so on a big stage. That could be Texas, but looks like Texas first desire in the portal is Houston WR sophomore Matthew Golden. 2 TD KO returns as well as a quick pass catcher.

While Wells would definitely get drafted, he is far from a 1st round lock or even 2nd round. I think he needs to play and wants to do so on a big stage. That could be Texas, but looks like Texas first desire in the portal is Houston WR sophomore Matthew Golden. 2 TD KO returns as well as a quick pass catcher.

I think he needs to perform this year to get a decent draft spot. I would not want to be the guy entering the draft after sitting almost an entire year with an injury.

Reactions: BattleshipTexas
I think he needs to perform this year to get a decent draft spot. I would not want to be the guy entering the draft after sitting almost an entire year with an injury.
Like what’s being said. Texas wants the Houston kid and is cheaper. Ole Miss doesn’t like how he’s handled this whole situation.

You always stumble if you wear shoes that don’t fit.

A player who quits on one team will eventually quit on another team.
Some teams have done well with transfers, like Sam Hartman with Notre Dame and Travis Hunter at Colorado. AD Mitchell has done well at WR for Texas (coming from Georgia). Maybe you mean quit mid-season.

Some teams have done well with transfers, like Sam Hartman with Notre Dame and Travis Hunter at Colorado. AD Mitchell has done well at WR for Texas (coming from Georgia). Maybe you mean quit mid-season.

It also depends on the nature of the "quitting". Someone can transfer and leave on good terms.

Dropping mid season, not playing when you're healthy enough to? Those kind of quitters more often than not remain quitters.

Yep … the ones who pack it up mid-season for one reason or another…usually with the thought of bolting the team.

It also depends on the nature of the "quitting". Someone can transfer and leave on good terms.

Dropping mid season, not playing when you're healthy enough to? Those kind of quitters more often than not remain quitters.
This ☝️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT