ADVERTISEMENT

Juice Wells entering portal

So did Nebraska fork up more money for their current O-Line? certainly not.. This whole thing is a nightmare. I am surprised coaches aren’t packing their stuff and going to the NFL. Used to be the other way around entirely, but now it’s easier being a coach in the NFL.
That is the deal. A bad team can afford to have disparities in NIL pay that a team trying to win and have team chemistry can't.

I and others railed against the portal and NIL, in particular the immediate eligibility portal but combined with NIL making 24/7/365 free agency, which no sports league could survive. And I was told to shut up, that who am I to judge whats best for someone and “what’s best for me” should ALWAYS be the ONLY thing that’s considered.

So now, our top player for 2024 has entered the portal. Everyone should be happy. Critique isnt allowed. Loyalty to the program who took an FCS player and made him a legit pro prospect? Nope.

I respect your opinion, while I may disagree. Like it or not NIL and the portal are here to stay.

We didn’t complain when we got Rattler, Stogner, Knox, Wells and others. We don’t get them without NIL & the portal. We also can’t complain when we lose solid players. It’s part of the new game. Either learn to thrive in it or get comfortable sucking.

Truth be known, we’ve spent a majority of the last 120 years sucking without NIL and the portal. The right coach can make us competitive with it.
It will destroy college athletics. These kids right now might be making bank but they're driving away the fans that financially support the schools. When attendance and viewership drops, TV contracts will drop. This whole thing has failure written all over it. I'm good with it. I had the 60's through the 80's to really enjoy college athletics. This stuff we have now is a joke.

Reactions: Thirdcatgy
It will destroy college athletics. These kids right now might be making bank but they're driving away the fans that financially support the schools. When attendance and viewership drops, TV contracts will drop. This whole thing has failure written all over it. I'm good with it. I had the 60's through the 80's to really enjoy college athletics. This stuff we have now is a joke.
Maybe but I will ask, did you quit watching or attending games this year? Are you honestly not going to watch or go next year?

A lot of people say they’ll quit watching but few actually do. Until the conferences, ESPN and big donors quit lining pockets it’s all going to continue. And let’s not cast stones at the kids without forgetting the role that college presidents around the country have played in this process.

Kids wanting to leave for more money-running college football
California joining the ACC—I didn’t see a big thread on that one.

They can both be here. Its the lack of the 1 year sit out rule that needs to come back. Players arent gonna jump ship if they gotta sit a year. And boosters/donors arent gonna throw $$$$ at too many kids who can’t even play for 18 months. It would stabilize everything
It might would slow it but it certainly would not stop it. Heck, Juice practically sat out the year anyway.

And I’ll pose the same question to you. Why is it that college kids are to blame and are ruining the game but I don’t see 1/1000th of the same posts blaming the greed of college presidents and ADs that single handedly changed the landscape of college football through realignment to get their greedy hands on dollars….dollars they did not need.

How can you be a garnet trust supporter and be ok with what is going on? Your money is being squandered, misappropriated. I'd be livid if I paid more than what I do now.
But I take pride in my belief that our suppport helped us beat Clemson at their house
Even minor leagues dont have this chaos.

No sports league could survive 247/365 total free agency with no salary cap.
If we use the NFL as a system example, then more restrictions on the college level could pass the legal test.

Until there are amendments to the NIL and Portal, games should be viewed as an entertainment-only --- not actual on-field competition of any merit.

Currently, the best we can hope for is transparency in spending. So when Kirby raises the trophy in any particular year, announcers can say something to the effect of...."Kirby Smart and his Georgia Bulldogs with only a $15.8 million dollar budget were able to defeat the $33 million dollar Texas Longhorns for this year's College Football National Championship."

What an honor.
If we have that scenario then I will not watch the game or care about who won. And millions of fans will do the same.

Reactions: Ward Jr
The worst part of juice leaving is that $1 million garnet trust donation is just going to be used to retain existing players and not improve the actual team.

It might would slow it but it certainly would not stop it. Heck, Juice practically sat out the year anyway.

And I’ll pose the same question to you. Why is it that college kids are to blame and are ruining the game but I don’t see 1/1000th of the same posts blaming the greed of college presidents and ADs that single handedly changed the landscape of college football through realignment to get their greedy hands on dollars….dollars they did not need.

I'm not sure anyone is blaming the kids themselves? The problem lies at the feet of the NCAA, Universities, ADs, the woke movement and corrupt boneheads like Gavin Newsom.

College football has turned into that bad movie you keep watching just because you're bored. Everyone knows it's now rigged beyond reason, yet they are addicted to their fix. The only answer is to enter rehab by not watching the best teams money can buy and force the hand of those who can create change.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I'm not sure anyone is blaming the kids themselves? The problem lies at the feet of the NCAA, Universities, ADs, the woke movement and corrupt boneheads like Gavin Newsom.

College football has turned into that bad movie you keep watching just because you're bored. Everyone knows it's now rigged beyond reason, yet they are addicted to their fix. The only answer is to enter rehab by not watching the best teams money can buy and force the hand of those who can create change.

I definitely enjoy the cognitive dissonance it takes to blame Gavin Newsome for the failures of unfettered capitalism.

Reactions: DeeDave
I definitely enjoy the cognitive dissonance it takes to blame Gavin Newsome for the failures of unfettered capitalism.

Try again.

Capitalism has been in place since the early 1900s.

Newsom spearheaded and championed the NIL.

He was part of the lawsuit against the NCAA which set this all in motion.

Try again.

marker_pwned.jpg

Try again.

Capitalism hasn't been in place for NCAA athletes. Not one athlete would agree that it has been. Not one person with an ounce of common sense would suggest that athletes playing for colleges have been subject to free market capitalism.

You are talking as a fan. But that's all. Nothing else. That doesn't matter.

KUDOS to Governor Newsom and the Supreme Court.

If folks want to blame Gavin Newsome for helping college students make money for their efforts, I think Governor Newsome will gladly accept that "blame"

Public polling shows a majority of Americans are in favor of college athletes and NIL deals.

LOL

The dinosaurs that want athletes to keep playing and not be in charge of how much they make for their services will slowly disappear.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Capitalism hasn't been in place for NCAA athletes. Not one athlete would agree that it has been. Not one person with an ounce of common sense would suggest that athletes playing for colleges have been subject to free market capitalism.

You are talking as a fan. But that's all. Nothing else. That doesn't matter.

KUDOS to Governor Newsom and the Supreme Court.

You're a champion for "free market" capitalism for NCAA athletes,yet can't seem to explain why that same logic shouldn't be applied to all professions. That sounds a lot like Mr. Newsom.

You're a champion for "free market" capitalism for NCAA athletes,yet can't seem to explain why that same logic shouldn't be applied to all professions. That sounds a lot like Mr. Newsom.

I'll say it again since your diseased mind is gone.

NCAA athletes aren't employees.

Comparing employees to non-employees is ignorant. (This explains why you keep doing it).

Most companies I know pay their employees what the free market will allow. I am not aware of many companies that refuse to pay their employees a free market rate. But if they do, most employees leave at some point.

Regardless, that's not the issue here as athletes aren't employees so it's not remotely the same thing- as everyone with a non-diseased mind understands.

Comparing employees to non-employees is ignorant. (This explains why you keep doing it).

Most companies I know pay their employees what the free market will allow. I am not aware of many companies that refuse to pay their employees a free market rate. But if they do, most employees leave at some point.

Regardless, that's not the issue here as athletes aren't employees so it's not remotely the same thing- as everyone with a non-diseased mind understands.

Who is claming the athletes have the stay at any particular school or go to school in general? Who cares what twisted law some twisted court passed. If you sign a contract to play for a school, you're an employee that is free to leave at any moment in time.

If you sign a contract to play for a school, you're an employee that is free to leave at any moment in time.

unfortunately, calling them employees has its own mess of troubles. And is also probably on the horizon.

Who is claming the athletes have the stay at any particular school or go to school in general? Who cares what twisted law some twisted court passed. If you sign a contract to play for a school, you're an employee that is free to leave at any moment in time.

Your first question makes no sense to me. Haven't seen that even discussed.

The SUpreme Court didn't pass a law. That's not their job. They have no ability to do that. They issued a ruling that said NCAA athletes could be paid.

A unanimous 9-0 ruling from the Supreme Court said the NCAA restrictions on benefits for athletes violated the law. The court said

“Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. … The NCAA is not above the law.”

NCAA athletes aren't employees. The court agreed with that. But the principle was the same given the NCAA admitted to the court that they make hundreds of millions off the athletes.

This is not a close call. I am wasting time arguing it on here.

IT's here to stay and it's just the fact of the matter. The Supreme Court seems inclined to go even further if other issues along this line come before it.

9-0 decisions-with no objections- aren't handed down every day. It was in this case.

unfortunately, calling them employees has its own mess of troubles. And is also probably on the horizon.

I don't think the athletes would ever agree to it- it doesn't serve their purpose.

and you are correct- that would create all kinds of problems- without solving much of anything.

Athletes should be viewed as sub-contracted persons and their income taxed through IRS Form 1099.
There will be huge tax bills for the Elite.

Apparently athletes run the Universities now.

They don't "run' them but they are the key to most schools. Without athletes, the great majority of people wouldn't care about the University of South Carolina.

Thankfully, they are eligible to get paid and some are getting big money- and that's not going to change.

They'd have a say, or they could all sit out- even the serious threat of that would doom colleges. They have the power. They should use it.
They don't have a union. They don't have a player's association. Schools can get people to play, even if it isn't the thoroughbreds, and some of the thoroughbreds would play anyway. If Congress gets hold of it, any legislation that comes down is going to be more restrictive as to movement, and that won't threaten NIL "rights" whatsoever. Eliminating collectives wouldn't encroach on NIL rights, either, Players could still make deals, even while using agents, which some of them do already,

Last edited:

Dave, you're the beacon of bleeding edge Progressivism on this platform.

It's rare to find an older man who identifies as a teenage girl.

Please continue to use tired woke terms like Dinosaur and Old White Men to your bolster lame positions.

We thoroughly embrace your nonsensical viewpoints for the sake of entertainment.

Please keep being you.

Last edited:
Reactions: sclawman77
I'd like to see Vandy rise from the ashes of the SEC via the NIL.

Their alumni have deep pockets and Nashville is in line with Austin in terms of corporate money afloat.

I'm not sure they care that much about football.

However, a development such as that would thoroughly expose the pay-to-play lunacy for what it is.

Dave, you're the beacon of bleeding edge Progressivism on this platform.

It's rare to find an older man who identifies as a teenage girl.

Please continue to use tired woke terms like Dinosaur and Old White Men to your bolster lame positions.

We thoroughly embrace your nonsensical viewpoints for the sake of entertainment.

Please keep being you.

you are the textbook definition.

Angry that the folks with the talent are in control and you can't put some system in place through the government to control them to match your opinion.

You detest that they are the ones with the power and dinosaurs like you aren't in control.

Thankfully, they are in control and you aren't.

Reactions: uscwatson21
I'd like to see Vandy rise from the ashes of the SEC via the NIL.

Their alumni have deep pockets and Nashville is in line with Austin in terms of corporate money afloat.

I'm not sure they care that much about football.

However, a development such as that would thoroughly expose the pay-to-play lunacy for what it is.

It would be nice to see them get better.

Unlikely though because the best players are in control of where they go and the best players will always demand a lot of money. But those players also want to play at the tradition rich schools with the facilities to match.

They don't have a union. They don't have a player's association. Schools can get people to play, even if it isn't the thoroughbreds, and some of the thoroughbreds would play anyway. If Congress gets hold of it, any legislation that comes down is going to be more restrictive as to movement, and that won't threaten NIL "rights" whatsoever. Eliminating collectives wouldn't encroach on NIL rights, either, Players could still make deals, even while using agents, which some of them do already,

The last thing I want is politicians to get involved. Unlike you and some on here, I don't see the value in stinking politicians and the government getting involved in it. I know some of you do though because you want government involvement.

Restricting movement - is - I guess- ok but also tough to do given the Supreme Court ruling. Restricting the free movement of adults is a tough sell- and much tougher now.

Regardless, it won't really solve much. Players that are in demand will get big money to simply sit out a year. I am sure most of them will be perfectly ok with that- as we are already seeing freshman CHOOSE that would be playing now redshirt because they have NIL deals.

If you get paid for “your services”, you are employed.

Legally, not true - and legally is what matters in these issues.

There are criteria in employment law that establish if you are an employee or essentially a contractor.

if an HVAC tech comes to your house, you can tell him to get lost and you don't want his services anymore. But you can't fire him from his company. He's not your employee.

It would be nice to see them get better.

Unlikely though because the best players are in control of where they go and the best players will always demand a lot of money. But those players also want to play at the tradition rich schools with the facilities to match.

Most SEC schools have great facilities though.

I don't see many players turning down an extra $50K+ per year to avoid Vanderbilt.

They have produced plenty of NFL players throughout the years.

you are the textbook definition.

Angry that the folks with the talent are in control and you can't put some system in place through the government to control them to match your opinion.

You detest that they are the ones with the power and dinosaurs like you aren't in control.

Thankfully, they are in control and you aren't.

"The Culture" is swinging back hard if you haven't been paying attention.

There's a difference between having a job and being enslaved, Dave.

Not to mention, I'd bet all the tea in China I'm far younger than you.

Consider switching out your divisive signature tag line in exchange for your pronouns. Be a uniter.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricalCock89
Legally, not true - and legally is what matters in these issues.

There are criteria in employment law that establish if you are an employee or essentially a contractor.

if an HVAC tech comes to your house, you can tell him to get lost and you don't want his services anymore. But you can't fire him from his company. He's not your employee.
Well, someone is going to get very smart soon.

I would have written contracts for athletes being paid. You must play in X amount of games. You must stay X amount of games/seasons. You cannot transfer to “such/such” schools. On and so forth.

The last thing I want is politicians to get involved. Unlike you and some on here, I don't see the value in stinking politicians and the government getting involved in it. I know some of you do though because you want government involvement.

Restricting movement - is - I guess- ok but also tough to do given the Supreme Court ruling. Restricting the free movement of adults is a tough sell- and much tougher now.

Regardless, it won't really solve much. Players that are in demand will get big money to simply sit out a year. I am sure most of them will be perfectly ok with that- as we are already seeing freshman CHOOSE that would be playing now redshirt because they have NIL deals.
It's not a matter of politicians having "value", or "wanting" government involvement. It's a matter of getting some things settled when parties cannot. What we have now ain't settled.

If banking had continued to work like it did prior to 2008, the country would have gone to hell. Somebody had to step in, hence the Dodd-Frank Act. Odious, but the issues at hand demanded it.

As for players sitting out, I'd love to see how THAT raises their marketability. 🤣 It would amuse me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT