ADVERTISEMENT

Best player USC ever faced in B-Ball....

FWB4294

Oct 21, 2012
I know we did this for football but who do you guys think was the most dominant player on the Court . Mine is easy ..: Jason Williams aka “White Chocolate “. I remember him dropping 30 on us in the first half and then he got tossed 2 minutes into the second half and we won!!! I think he got booted off the UF team a few weeks later . He was a fun guy to watch . He destroyed BJ that night and BJ was a great defender . He was unstoppable that night .

I know we did this for football but who do you guys think was the most dominant player on the Court . Mine is easy ..: Jason Williams aka “White Chocolate “. I remember him dropping 30 on us in the first half and then he got tossed 2 minutes into the second half and we won!!! I think he got booted off the UF team a few weeks later . He was a fun guy to watch . He destroyed BJ that night and BJ was a great defender . He was unstoppable that night .

White chocolate? The greatest player ever? He wouldn’t make the top 100. I wasn’t around for the 60’s and 70’s but shaq would probably be the one that comes to my mind.

White chocolate? The greatest player ever? He wouldn’t make the top 100. I wasn’t around for the 60’s and 70’s but shaq would probably be the one that comes to my mind.

Didn’t mean the greatest ever . Just meant the greatest performance against us . Sorry . Jason would have scored 60 that night if he didn’t get tossed .

Didn’t Jodie Meeks drop 40+ on us at the coliseum when he was at KU . Mashburn was a handful too .

Shaq blocked a ball and it went outta bounds at the other end of the court.. that man was unreal
As well

Roche owned Charlie Scott. Austin Carr was phenomenal.
I was only referring to high-profile N.C. players we played against - not who outplayed whom. Scott was primarily a forward. Roche was strictly a guard. They weren't matched up. Scott's teams were outstanding, except for his senior year. They weren't especially good that year in that they didn't have much to go with him and he and Dean Smith fell out. We had fun against them that year.

Last edited:
There was Artis Gilmore from the Roche years. There was also a big scorer from Florida State that I can't remember from when we were in the conference with them. Think is first name was George. There was also a great player from Marquette during the Winter's years.

There was Artis Gilmore from the Roche years. There was also a big scorer from Florida State that I can't remember from when we were in the conference with them. Think is first name was George. There was also a great player from Marquette during the Winter's years.
The Marquette guy was Butch Lee.

Reactions: SCexpat38
Butch Lee was a great guard for Marquette. He was instrumental in beating UNC for the NCAA Championship in 1977. He was a handful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jug Tavern Dawg
Butch Lee was a great guard for Marquette. He was instrumental in beating UNC for the NCAA Championship in 1997. He was a handful.

Butch Lee was 41 years old in 1997 when you said he beat UNC .
pretty good for an old college guy.:)

Last edited:
Our great PF Jimmy Foster went up against long-time Bucks star and NBA all-star PF Terry Cummings when he played for DePaul in the early 80s. I was really looking forward to the matchup all week, and thought Foster would be able to compete with Cummings. He got obliterated. We lost by 30. Foster got his shot blocked so many times, he wouldn’t even try a layup mid-way through the second half. Barely got to double digits. Cummings destroyed Foster- and Foster was a dang good college player, and was averaging around 20/10 (points/boards) a game as I recall. Was totally disappointed, but came away with an appreciation for how great and strong Terry Cummings was. He ended up 1st team All American that year, and was the 2nd overall player taken in the 1983 draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCexpat38
I was only referring to high-profile N.C. players we played against - not who outplayed whom. Scott was primarily a forward. Roche was strictly a guard. They weren't matched up. Scott's teams were outstanding, except for his senior year. They weren't especially good that year in that they didn't have much to go with him and he and Dean Smith fell out. We had fun against them that year.

Wrong, Charlie Scott was a guard and yes the first time Roche played against North Carolina in the North South tournament Roche shut Scott down, and Scott couldn't cover Roche at all. Roche scored 36 points and we beat North Carolina.

You're thinking of George McCloud. I remember a game in which Barry Manning held him to 2 points in the first half and then McCloud took over in the 2nd and hit the game winning shot. That loss was a real gut punch.

It was a real intense game. Maybe more so than any SEC games. The rivalry with Louisville was intense, obviously, as well. The Metro conference era is kind of underrated in terms of basketball, IMO.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Jamal Mashburn, Chris Jackson , Pervis Ellison, Brent Price( not kidding) McLoud FSU Elliot Perry Memphis owned us

Curry only dropped 32 on us in the NIT (at home), but he dominated that game. He was unstoppable. And those were our NIT glory years.

Reactions: NetworkX
I remember Jeff Rolston blocked Shaq's first shot and then Shaq just crushed us.
Isnt it funny how memory serves? My memory (at 54 years old) is I remember thinking: oh my God, Shaq is going to destroy our not so good pedestrian center Rouston- but thinking back that Rouston held his own....however, everyone else remembers differently. Pretty funny!

Wrong, Charlie Scott was a guard and yes the first time Roche played against North Carolina in the North South tournament Roche shut Scott down, and Scott couldn't cover Roche at all. Roche scored 36 points and we beat North Carolina.
Butch Lee was 41 years old in 1997 when you said he beat UNC .
pretty good for an old college guy.:)
It was a mere typo, the likes of which you have never done. The year was 1977.

Scott was a swing man, but usually a shooting guard. You are correct. But the subject of UNC and Michael Jordan came up in post #5. I don't remember us playing against Jordan but Jordan was similar in college to Scott, whom I saw a number of times. Scott averaged 22.1 ppg. for his career at UNC. He was All-ACC all three years he played. He was AP All-America twice. His teams went to the Final Four twice and neither of those teams would have made it without him. Compare that to our team accomplishments during the same time. So I'm not hesitant at all to place him among the best opponents we have faced (I did not say the overall best), but especially when the UNC component is considered. Saying that is in no way a slam against Roche, as I believe you very well know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT