ADVERTISEMENT

Best player USC ever faced in B-Ball....

Regan Truesdale The Citadel had a big game against us, Yeah I know he wasn't the best but I am biased, I played with him in high school

Anyone remember Larry Kenon from Memphis who killed our chances of tournament play in 72 or 73...he was about 6'9" and did not miss if I remember correctly...I wish I could remember stuff from my job from earlier in the day...like I can remember sports trivia...
\

Yeah, Larry Finch was also on that team; they ended up going to the championship game, lost to UCLA w/Bill Walton.
Some other great players we faced were Dave Cowens (McGuire pulled the team off the court; said Florida State was playing football), Otis Byrdsong, Kyle Macey, Rick Robey, Jim Chones, Purvis Ellison, Adrian Dantley, John Shumate.

I know we did this for football but who do you guys think was the most dominant player on the Court . Mine is easy ..: Jason Williams aka “White Chocolate “. I remember him dropping 30 on us in the first half and then he got tossed 2 minutes into the second half and we won!!! I think he got booted off the UF team a few weeks later . He was a fun guy to watch . He destroyed BJ that night and BJ was a great defender . He was unstoppable that night .

Could make an argument (for you old timers)....this game was big time for us at the time. My buddy and I were sitting at top row of Carolina Coliseum (tix hard to come by) and George McCloud broke our heart

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/0...-a-3-point-shot-with-7-seconds/7691601794000/

Yall remember when Felton's gamecocks beat UNC in the Pepsi challenge. Cant recall the year, but I beat UNC had some ballers that year.
I also remember when Felton's team, which had the extremely marginal point guard from eastern Europe, beat UPC at home - a UPC team that went to the Sweet 16, losing on that last-second Connecticut shot That was Elden Campbell and those. I was there to see that win at the old coliseum and I couldn't believe it. Firing George Felton like we did was one of the biggest personnel mistakes in Gamecock history.

I was in Charlotte the night we beat UNC. That was a great night, surrounded by UNC fans waving a large Carolina flag around yelling down at Dean every time he complained about a call which was often of course.

Regan Truesdale The Citadel had a big game against us, Yeah I know he wasn't the best but I am biased, I played with him in high school

Were you a member of the 1980 Andrew Jackson team that beat Southside in OT for the (3A??) State Championship at Irmo??

Last edited:
Regan [some called him Regent] played with some great players at Andrew Jackson in Kershaw and then the Citadel. AJ won the state when he was a freshman or sophomore. George Singleton was on that team. Both of those guys were two time Southern Conference Players of the Year. Regan was a Clemson recruit for football back then but he chose BB. That high school team had a couple of Wofford football and baseball players to complement those guys. They had a 5'8" point guard whiz who was killed prior to playing college ball at Newberry...small town but what a great group of BB kids...

Reactions: aj&uscgrad
We lost the State Championship to JL Mann in 79 after George tripped over Cozell McQueen (Bennettsville) in the playoffs and broke his hand and wasn't able to finish out the season. It was Regan's junior year and George's senior when we won the state. I wish USC had signed them both but Foster overlooked them. They both lit up UNC a couple of times in their playing days. That was also the time of Tyrone Corbin and Xavier McDaniel, the team we could have had. The point guard was Mickey Faulkenberry and yes he could play, behind the back passes were an everyday occurrence for him.

I say Shaq. Gerdy was a great shooter from deep on the court. Didn't guard much. Mashburn had the hardest single man shooting workout I ever seen, except for one I saw on video by the Mailman. ... Garnet chicken, could the Marquette player have been Jim Chones? Remember the brawl in '72? Nationally televised. Riker got into it with somebody and then Chones decked somebody, might have been Traylor and there they went.

We lost the State Championship to JL Mann in 79 after George tripped over Cozell McQueen (Bennettsville) in the playoffs and broke his hand and wasn't able to finish out the season. It was Regan's junior year and George's senior when we won the state. I wish USC had signed them both but Foster overlooked them. They both lit up UNC a couple of times in their playing days. That was also the time of Tyrone Corbin and Xavier McDaniel, the team we could have had. The point guard was Mickey Faulkenberry and yes he could play, behind the back passes were an everyday occurrence for him.

Regan [some called him Regent] played with some great players at Andrew Jackson in Kershaw and then the Citadel. AJ won the state when he was a freshman or sophomore. George Singleton was on that team. Both of those guys were two time Southern Conference Players of the Year. Regan was a Clemson recruit for football back then but he chose BB. That high school team had a couple of Wofford football and baseball players to complement those guys. They had a 5'8" point guard whiz who was killed prior to playing college ball at Newberry...small town but what a great group of BB kids...
Regan played professionally for a little while, I want to say in Australia, but I know it was off shore. He later became one of my coworkers at paper plant outside of Rock Hill.

Marvin Orange - from our backyard, Irmo. I remember Larry Kenon - played with the Iceman in San Antonio.

Regan played professionally for a little while, I want to say in Australia, but I know it was off shore. He later became one of my coworkers at paper plant outside of Rock Hill.
My brother grew up with Mickey...he [Mickey] was a phenomenal athlete...lost his life in traffic accident...Mickey was a phenom at 8 years old...brother played with him in FB and Baseball and later played both at Wofford...

My brother grew up with Mickey...he [Mickey] was a phenomenal athlete...lost his life in traffic accident...Mickey was a phenom at 8 years old...brother played with him in FB and Baseball and later played both at Wofford...
I played a little recreational ball with Mickey myself back in the day. He was quite an athlete. Great at driving and passing off. The only way I had any success against him was anticipating passes where he wasn't looking. Of course, that was hit and miss. His premature death was a tragedy.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT