ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest thing I wonder about with Holbrook and his players

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
What kind of coach is he to play for? There are many who can recruit and many who can coach fundamentals but the most underrated part of coaching is how you handle the players and how they respond to you. That being said, behind the scenes how does Holbrook motivate? It makes me wonder if this is the bigger picture based on his comments and results from players. Players playing under alot of pressure from a coach can many times underperform due to trying to hard. So far this season we have done an extremely poor job of hitting with runners in scoring position (2-17 yesterday I believe). This has been a major issue under holbrook since day 1. The next is pitching, so far this season I have lost count of how many batters we have hit and how many wild pitches we have thrown in just 12 games. I dont remember anything near this before and it has cost us several runs this season. Finally the errors. We dont seem to have as fundamentally sound defensive team especially on the infield as we used to. I believe the players can do it but are not consistent enough.
These tell me that maybe there is immense pressure from the school, Tanner and others on Chad and he has in turn put it on his players. That can be a major issue. They really will do better if relaxed and can be motivated differently.
Chads comment after the game yesterday told me a bit more about this issue when he said he was pinch hitting for Destino because Destino hits to many ground balls and not a good bunter. That may be true but a player can read into that as being, he is not good when we get in these situations so I am not letting him try. That can be demoralizing to a player and especially when the pinch hitter pops a bunt to the catcher. Destino could have done that.
Just my major question.
AND ONE MORE THING TO CHAD AND ALL COACHES!!!!!! Quit telling everyone after a game that you lose that you had several players sick and not feeling well!!!!! Every school and every team deals with this but it seems we are using that excuse alot when we lose. please quit, it makes us look like wimps and does not give credit to the other team. I dont want to hear another coach say that again!!!!!!

Reactions: rogue cock
I agreed with pulling Destino, especially after he committed the cardinal sin of keeping the bat on his shoulder in the bottom of the 9th Saturday. If you're going to K in that situation, you better be swinging.
I do agree with that. That is something else I noticed yesterday, it seems all of our players went up to bat watching the first pitch. It didnt take long for Clemson to catch on to that and the best pitch any of our guys saw any at bat was the first one. We ended up behind in the count almost every time. Why did we not catch on to that and swing a bit on the first pitch? Destino did do that early in the game and got a long double off of it. We seem afraid to swing, afraid to make mistakes and it is costing us. That makes me wonder about how they are coached mentally.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT