ADVERTISEMENT

BMac gone

Wolf is a mystery. Seems like he used to be a better coach than he is now.
Nope. People got all caught up in his props which should have been the first sign he wasn’t capable of doing his job. He (much like the Muschamp staff as a whole) is a salesman without substance. He can convince people he knows what he’s doing. He can sell kids on knowing what he is doing but in the end he doesn’t know what he is doing.

The real positive from his first stop here was convincing Spurrier that you needed to recruit all positions

Always liked Mike Tomlin. I think his style will mesh with BMAC. Plus, they are run first, so it's a good situation for him. BMAC was never going to stay here after a demotion. It does not work that way.

Reactions: SCexpat38 and PC31
He was better than his predecessor under SOS (Hunt?). And that was all he needed to be.
Yes, that’s what I was thinking after your previous post. Hunt was the worst hire Spurrier ever made. Everyone on this board seemed to realize it a long time before Spurrier did.

Reactions: HI Cock
Pro teams make mistakes too, and this was a mistake. BMac did an awful job coaching WRs here- the WRs who produced under him were hold overs from the previous staff. He did a good job recruiting for the most part but he has not developed our young players into play makers. I am glad we get to see what someone- anyone- different can do.
RollLaugh
- With McClendon returning for the 2020 season, he will continue coaching the team's wide receivers, the position he has tutored under Will Muschamp since the 2015 season.

https://southcarolina.n.rivals.com/news/mcclendon-staying-plus-latest-on-gamecock-football-staff

Deke was actually a good coach.

The problem Deke had, was that in the 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 classes Lawing got two SEC level DL, Quarles and Clowney. There wasn’t any other SEC talent.
Even with Clowney and co. that DL underperformed. They had no discipline and just tried to blitz every play. Remember the fight he and Botkin got in on the sideline at Georgia?

Sorry, but we'll have to agree to disagree.

Deke was actually a good coach.

The problem Deke had, was that in the 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 classes Lawing got two SEC level DL, Quarles and Clowney. There wasn’t any other SEC talent.
Dixons were good players. Dixon Jr played a ton at DT. Sutton was a pretty good DE for JUCO.

Reactions: Ragin Rooster
Nothing says more about how bad the line was post-Clowney/Quarles than people looking back and thinking the Dixons were good players.
Fair statement. I miss that 2011 line with Robertson and Ingram (hybrid lb) being fifth year seniors. Clowney was a freshman. Devin Taylor was in there too. I'd take the Dixons over some of the slugs we have playing now. I said they were good-not great.

Reactions: Brace1
True statement. That 2011 line was legit with Robertson and Ingram (hybrid lb) being fifth year seniors. Clowney was a freshman. Devin Taylor was in there too. I'd take the Dixons over some if the slugs we have playing now. I said they were good-not great.

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be a jab at you, more a comment on the quality of the line. Jrs. stats weren't even as good as Kobe's have been, and I think of him as the definition of a good-but-not-great DT (which is at least ok when you're paired w / Javon).

Reactions: sclawman77
Even with Clowney and co. that DL underperformed. They had no discipline and just tried to blitz every play. Remember the fight he and Botkin got in on the sideline at Georgia?

Sorry, but we'll have to agree to disagree.

We blitzed more because Sr specifically told him he wanted more blitzing. It was even mentioned in a couple of articles when he was hired.

I remember the fight, FWIH Botkin was running his mouth and pissed him off.

Out of Deke, Brad, and Botkin the only one still coaching any level of college ball is Deke. Not saying he’s an A1 top notch coach, but he’s still coaching college ball. At least Botkin has a job, he’s coaching HS ball.

Dixons were good players. Dixon Jr played a ton at DT. Sutton was a pretty good DE for JUCO.

Neither Dixon would start here today, they were too slow and too lazy. Same with Dukes. The 4 classes from 2010-2013 were poor at DL with the exception of JC and Quarles.

Chaz signed here in 2009 after a year in prep school. He was a pretty good player, he had some foot issues that really hurt him at the end. (May have been related to problems other guys were having with UA shoes).

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Neither Dixon would start here today, they were too slow and too lazy. Same with Dukes. The 4 classes from 2010-2013 were poor at DL with the exception of JC and Quarles.

Chaz signed here in 2009 after a year in prep school. He was a pretty good player, he had some foot issues that really hurt him at the end. (May have been related to problems other guys were having with UA shoes).
Guess it just proves that having a dependable qb is the real key to success-Shaw. Considering 2011-2013 were our best seasons on record.

Reactions: AngloCock
Neither Dixon would start here today, they were too slow and too lazy. Same with Dukes.
Yep. Jadeveon, Quarles & Chaz were the only SEC DL we had in '13. I always felt Jadeveon struggled with his attitude that season because he felt he was carrying the whole team...and sometimes he did. But he did ball out his last game.

It amazed me how slow our defense looked in '13 v. '12....and '14 was worse.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Guess it just proves that having a dependable qb is the real key to success-Shaw. Considering 2011-2013 were our best seasons on record.

Everything starts with the QB. Shaw’s feet kept the other team off the field by extending drives, and he was an incredible leader as well as an underrated passer.

As good as those 2011-2013 teams were, take 3 guys away, Clowney, Shaw, and Marcus, we likely never have that success. Those 3 guys were that valuable. And Spurrier likely hangs it up a few years earlier, changing our program in unknown ways.

We were very fortunate to experience those years, we had just the right mix of players. Hope we can experience it again very soon.

Everything starts with the QB. Shaw’s feet kept the other team off the field by extending drives, and he was an incredible leader as well as an underrated passer.
Yes! One thing often forgotten about Connor is how much he improved from '11 -'13.

Yep. Jadeveon, Quarles & Chaz were the only SEC DL we had in '13. I always felt Jadeveon struggled with his attitude that season because he felt he was carrying the whole team...and sometimes he did. But he did ball out his last game.

It amazed me how slow our defense looked in '13 v. '12....and '14 was worse.

Yeah, those 4 essentially lost years recruiting DL killed us.

My daughter dated a guy on the team during that time frame. Had a lot to say about JC and his attitude.

We blitzed more because Sr specifically told him he wanted more blitzing. It was even mentioned in a couple of articles when he was hired.

I remember the fight, FWIH Botkin was running his mouth and pissed him off.

Out of Deke, Brad, and Botkin the only one still coaching any level of college ball is Deke. Not saying he’s an A1 top notch coach, but he’s still coaching college ball. At least Botkin has a job, he’s coaching HS ball.
Lots of bad coaches keep getting jobs because of who they know. Spurrier may have wanted some more blitzing. But I seriously doubt he wanted his DL rushing upfield on every play. The only blame he has for their poor play was allowing Whammy to hire Deke in the first place.

Wow so a lot of you geniuses blasted his coaching ability. Guess the Steelers look to find the college guys who can`t coach, huh? Maybe it would help if some of you stopped bashing our coaches and let things play out. Can`t knock anyone for going to the pros. My concern would be Scott to Penn St. Did we try to match their offer? We have to pay if we want to be one of the big boys.

Well he certainly sucked here coaching WRs and as OC.

As good as those 2011-2013 teams were, take 3 guys away, Clowney, Shaw, and Marcus, we likely never have that success. Those 3 guys were that valuable. And Spurrier likely hangs it up a few years earlier, changing our program in unknown ways.

We were very fortunate to experience those years, we had just the right mix of players. Hope we can experience it again very soon.
Marcus was taken away- two out of three years he was here, and we still won big.

Marcus was taken away- two out of three years he was here, and we still won big.
The culture was already set though. Marcus changed the game for Carolina football, his impact can’t be stated enough. Even Spurrier said all the winning started when Lattimore got here. His work ethic and attitude was huge for the program, and it stayed with the other players when he went down.

The culture was already set though. Marcus changed the game for Carolina football, his impact can’t be stated enough. Even Spurrier said all the winning started when Lattimore got here. His work ethic and attitude was huge for the program, and it stayed with the other players when he went down.
Sure, I am not discounting him just saying that the guy said we could not have had the success we had without those guys... I took him to mean without their play on the field which obviously is not accurate. He and Shaw impacted the team with their leadership and work ethic. I am hopeful that a few guys we got this year- like Huntley and Doty- may have that kind of impact on the ATTITUDE of our team because while we lack speed on offense, top to bottom we HAVE TALENT. Maybe we just need some leaders to emerge...

Last edited:
What did they say?

Very, very lazy. Refused to listen to anyone coaching him, because he’d had his ego blown up throughout HS. His accounts of Lawing yelling at him was Brad trying to break him and get him to listen. JC just laughed at him.

Then Sr had him lay off during practices, because he made the OL look bad. Unfortunately, that rubbed a bunch of the DL the wrong way, they figured if he could take it easy they could too.

As great as JC was here, he only scratched the surface of his potential. It’s scary to think how better he could’ve been if he’d gone all out. When he needed to turn it up there were very few guys who could match up with him.

None of that is a slight at him. The couple of times I talked to him he was a very polite, funny guy. He was just so freakishly athletic that he outclassed other players by a mile, which is why he coasted so much and refused to listen. I can’t imagine him if he’d had the work ethic of Marcus while he was here.

Best thing that could’ve happened to him was starting his career with the Texans. JJ Watt and some veterans on the DL helped show him the right way to approach his career. If he’d been drafted by the Browns he’d probably already be labeled a bust and be out of the game.

Lots of bad coaches keep getting jobs because of who they know. Spurrier may have wanted some more blitzing. But I seriously doubt he wanted his DL rushing upfield on every play. The only blame he has for their poor play was allowing Whammy to hire Deke in the first place.

Deke is still coaching while Brad is sitting on the couch drinking beer. There’s a reason for that, and it isn’t because Deke knows a lot of people.

You’ve listened to too much of the same crap about Deke killing the DL, the DL was already going in the dumper because of 4 crappy classes. We literally signed 2 SEC quality DL in Brad’s last four years.

We blitzed (or truthfully, attempted to blitz) more because that’s what Sr wanted....he wanted the ball back in the offense’s hands. Problem is after JC and Quarles left most of our DL were too slow and too weak to be effective. DT’s were blown back into the LB’s, DE’s didn’t have the speed and hips. Glad we signed Taylor Stallworth, wound up being a great player.

Reactions: Flameout12
None of that is a slight at him. The couple of times I talked to him he was a very polite, funny guy.
Jadeveon was a hit with the kids...and really a good guy.
He did ball-out in his last game...v. Wisky. I guess he could have skipped because of the NFL, but he stayed and played a great game for us.
The "hit" probably messed him up some as well...he became a household name.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT